The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 722 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1730Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #21631 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 22,222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Quick question. When searching for a TV show or movie on with Xbox One it used to provide what apps had that show or movie does it still do that, or is that option no longer there and MS is getting people just to buy or rent on Xbox Video? I haven't seen that for a bit and it is frustrating since some of the shows or movies are not all that new and should be around on different apps, or do I need to install something else?

I never really experienced that (inasmuch as I don't use my game consoles for video streaming) but it would seem to be gone now. If I say "Xbox Bing" what I get is the search screen of the store app. It displays "Xbox Bing" in green in the corner so I know that it heard what I said. (Cortana never worked well for me so I disabled it). I fired up my 360 and it does still work that way. If I say "Xbox Bing The Usual Suspects" it finds the movie available from 6 providers; I choose Netflix from that list and it starts Netflix up and starts playing the title.

I can find no evidence of the word "Bing" anywhere in my Xbone's UI. Lord only knows why they'd remove it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21632 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I never really experienced that (inasmuch as I don't use my game consoles for video streaming) but it would seem to be gone now. If I say "Xbox Bing" what I get is the search screen of the store app. It displays "Xbox Bing" in green in the corner so I know that it heard what I said. (Cortana never worked well for me so I disabled it). I fired up my 360 and it does still work that way. If I say "Xbox Bing The Usual Suspects" it finds the movie available from 6 providers; I choose Netflix from that list and it starts Netflix up and starts playing the title.

I can find no evidence of the word "Bing" anywhere in my Xbone's UI. Lord only knows why they'd remove it.
Hmm strange it works just fine on the 360. I didn't stop to think to check the 360. I thought since maybe I was using Xbox instead of cortana it was the problem. Switching over to cortana didn't help, so back to Xbox voice again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #21633 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 22,222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Hmm strange it works just fine on the 360. I didn't stop to think to check the 360. I thought since maybe I was using Xbox instead of cortana it was the problem. Switching over to cortana didn't help, so back to Xbox voice again.

I think that its a feature of Bing and I can find no evidence that Bing as such exists on Xbone anymore, at least in the preview.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #21634 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Well I guess I could always search on the 360 and and then switch back to the Xbox one. How fricking annoying that will be though.
I knew I hated Cortana, bring back the Bing!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #21635 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
it was Bing in the early days of Xbox One and it did retain most of the functionality.

As for Cortana, it's gotten better. Light years ahead of early Cortana but still not where it needs to be.
onlysublime is online now  
post #21636 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 22,222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Cortana could not easily understand me and it was tortuously slow to respond. Perhaps I'll try it again in a couple of years after the trauma of the first trial grows dim in my memory.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #21637 of 21660 Unread 09-19-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Cortana could not easily understand me and it was tortuously slow to respond. Perhaps I'll try it again in a couple of years after the trauma of the first trial grows dim in my memory.
It hasn't changed enough for me from when I first tried it. Still way to slow!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #21638 of 21660 Unread 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,314
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Cortana seems much quicker to me now in the preview program. I see speeds like when I used to say "Xbox". And i like that I don't need to say Xbox any more. I don't even remember the last time I used "Xbox" with Cortana on the XBOne S.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #21639 of 21660 Unread 09-20-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 702
yeah i used it a few days ago and it was much quicker than it was on my original xbox one.
metalsaber is online now  
post #21640 of 21660 Unread 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 22,222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And i like that I don't need to say Xbox any more.

You prefer Cortana's awkward 4 syllable wake word??? That was one of the things which annoyed me the most.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. AFAIK, there's nothing that I can do with the Cortana command set that I can't do with the Xbox one that I actually want to be able to do (well, there is voice dictation but I can't remember the last time when that would have been helpful).

If I ever decide to use my console for something other than playing games I may revisit it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #21641 of 21660 Unread 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,314
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You prefer Cortana's awkward 4 syllable wake word??? That was one of the things which annoyed me the most.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. AFAIK, there's nothing that I can do with the Cortana command set that I can't do with the Xbox one that I actually want to be able to do (well, there is voice dictation but I can't remember the last time when that would have been helpful).

If I ever decide to use my console for something other than playing games I may revisit it.
No I don't prefer it, but I prefer it to saying "Hey Cortana, Xbox..."

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #21642 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 9,125
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 791
MICROSOFT TALKS DIFFERENCE IN POWER BETWEEN PS4 PRO AND SCORPIO


In an interview with Eurogamer, he said “I think there are a lot of caveats they're giving customers right now around 4K. They're talking about checkerboard rendering and up-scaling and things like that. There are just a lot of asterisks in their marketing around 4K, which is interesting because when we thought about what spec we wanted for Scorpio, we were very clear we wanted developers to take their Xbox One engines and render them in native, true 4K.
“That was why we picked the number, that's why we have the memory bandwidth we have, that's why we have the teraflops we have, because it's what we heard from game developers was required to achieve native 4K.”

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/21...ro-and-scorpio
aaronwt, DaverJ and onlysublime like this.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is online now  
post #21643 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
MICROSOFT TALKS DIFFERENCE IN POWER BETWEEN PS4 PRO AND SCORPIO


In an interview with Eurogamer, he said “I think there are a lot of caveats they're giving customers right now around 4K. They're talking about checkerboard rendering and up-scaling and things like that. There are just a lot of asterisks in their marketing around 4K, which is interesting because when we thought about what spec we wanted for Scorpio, we were very clear we wanted developers to take their Xbox One engines and render them in native, true 4K.
“That was why we picked the number, that's why we have the memory bandwidth we have, that's why we have the teraflops we have, because it's what we heard from game developers was required to achieve native 4K.”

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/21...ro-and-scorpio
That's definitely some good news hardware-wise for the One!

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #21644 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,314
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
That's definitely some good news hardware-wise for the One!
Unfortunately it's still a long ways off.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #21645 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
MICROSOFT TALKS DIFFERENCE IN POWER BETWEEN PS4 PRO AND SCORPIO


In an interview with Eurogamer, he said “I think there are a lot of caveats they're giving customers right now around 4K. They're talking about checkerboard rendering and up-scaling and things like that. There are just a lot of asterisks in their marketing around 4K, which is interesting because when we thought about what spec we wanted for Scorpio, we were very clear we wanted developers to take their Xbox One engines and render them in native, true 4K.
“That was why we picked the number, that's why we have the memory bandwidth we have, that's why we have the teraflops we have, because it's what we heard from game developers was required to achieve native 4K.”

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/21...ro-and-scorpio
the problem is that current cards cant really do quality 4k gaming at decent quality settings. So maybe the * with the scorpio is. You can get 4K gaming but at low quality textures. If thats the case, i'm not terribly thrilled.
Again, I don't buy that they will be capable of doing AAA games at 4K, 30 or 60fps at a high quality textures. Just ain't happening.

I hope I'm wrong.
metalsaber is online now  
post #21646 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Unfortunately it's still a long ways off.
and will already be way outdated when it releases
Threefiddie is offline  
post #21647 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 9,125
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
and will already be way outdated when it releases
Like that isn't the same for anything that comes out

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is online now  
post #21648 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Like that isn't the same for anything that comes out
in regards to consoles, yes...but consoles always release a yr+ or 2 out of date by the end of their cycle pc is doing laps around them.
Threefiddie is offline  
post #21649 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 9,125
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
in regards to consoles, yes...but consoles always release a yr+ or 2 out of date by the end of their cycle pc is doing laps around them.
I don't get the point your trying to make to something that is common knowledge and doesn't matter to anyone that buys consoles in general for the last 35 years.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is online now  
post #21650 of 21660 Unread 09-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
I don't get the point your trying to make to something that is common knowledge and doesn't matter to anyone that buys consoles in general for the last 35 years.
I was just saying... that's the point. but it's not common knowledge to the joe blow everyday buyer. gamers who know is a different story
Threefiddie is offline  
post #21651 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Not sure if this has been posted...
aaronwt and DaverJ like this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #21652 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
totalownership's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
I was just saying... that's the point. but it's not common knowledge to the joe blow everyday buyer. gamers who know is a different story
I'm kinda missing the point on this one. Gamers know, yes. And by gamers I mean probably the vast majority who buy consoles.
Nayan likes this.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
totalownership is online now  
post #21653 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
I was just saying... that's the point. but it's not common knowledge to the joe blow everyday buyer. gamers who know is a different story
The larger point is that the majority of Joe Blow's don't care in the 1st place, that's why they keep buying them.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #21654 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
The larger point is that the majority of Joe Blow's don't care in the 1st place, that's why they keep buying them.
Yup, the uninformed consumer.
Threefiddie is offline  
post #21655 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
Yup, the uninformed consumer.
You're obviously confusing consumer time preferences w/ being uninformed.
mboojigga likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #21656 of 21660 Unread 09-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
just forget it. I was agreeing with you... lol
Threefiddie is offline  
post #21657 of 21660 Unread Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
totalownership's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I wanted to like STO, I really did. I've been jonesing for a new MMO to play. I gave it a few hours and....it just didn't grab me. Primarily due to the non-space aspects of the game. I don't mind the old graphics but the very clunky action was painful to play. The missions were pretty generic too. I did like the space angle but overall I don't think that alone is strong enough to keep me interested.
Sorry to hear that. I'm dropping too many hours in this thing. I was supposed to get the Destiny Expansion and was strongly considering getting Forza Horizon but I've only made half-hearted attempts at getting them. Just can't get away from this game. I think I'll just play it out to the end. I don't see many people in the PvP section of the game and we know that there is a paywall that I'll probably hit. At this point I'll probably be putting the game down. Before then I'll be exploring every corner of the universe though.

Went to their official site and read some posts. One dude has dropped over $4,000 in this game. Yep that's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! That's crazy, but if he enjoys it so be it. Of course that's on the PC side and when the game first came out.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
totalownership is online now  
post #21658 of 21660 Unread Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,314
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
..............................

Went to their official site and read some posts. One dude has dropped over $4,000 in this game. Yep that's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! That's crazy, .......................

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #21659 of 21660 Unread Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,215
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
One dude has dropped over $4,000 in this game. Yep that's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!
And I thought Skylanders was expensive!

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
DaverJ is online now  
post #21660 of 21660 Unread Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Went to their official site and read some posts. One dude has dropped over $4,000 in this game. Yep that's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!
Wow!! That's insane. I don't mind dropping a few dollars here and there but $4K?!?

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly. Crap I say
Nayan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off