The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 733 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1932Likes

post #21961 of 22117 Old 04-04-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
it looks like an exclusive Scorpio reveal will be handed to Eurogamer for April 6!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...ical-emphasis/

The game-hardware analysts at Eurogamer subsidiary Digital Foundry appear to have gotten their hands on another major piece of upcoming gaming kit. This time, they're set to announce "exclusive" info about Microsoft's upcoming "Project Scorpio" revision to the Xbox One, but in a curious move, the outlet has pinned an exact date and time: Thursday, April 6, at 9am ET.

What probably won't be revealed are E3-level details like price, release date, system exterior, accompanying games, or an official name.

Last edited by onlysublime; 04-04-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21962 of 22117 Old 04-04-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
Bitstreaming is here on the Xbox one! Finally!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...0c1ea362332ef0

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #21963 of 22117 Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Ok I tried it on my receiver and it says my receiver is not capable of decoding audio. I have the onkyo 805 and does decode all HD audio except for Atmos.

post #21964 of 22117 Old 04-04-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Their BD playing app isn't very sophisticated. If given an Atmos track and a downstream sink (AVR, soundbar, etc) which can't process Atmos it should output the TrueHD or DD+ component.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #21965 of 22117 Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone got the pass through audio to work on there Xbox one?

post #21966 of 22117 Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
Has anyone got the pass through audio to work on there Xbox one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
there are currently 2 different bitstream options (I'm insider, so may be it's different when you are not) :
1. system level, in the audio settings, you can chose "bitstream" independently for HDMi or optical (then set the audio format you want on optical : DTS/DD). If you chose bitstream here, it doesn't do anything simply because there's currently nothing app or game wise that's using it...All headset options (Windows Sonic, Atmos for Headset) are currently unavailable and under construction, as well as the possibility to force system output bitstream to Atmos.
2. BR app level settings : this is what they added for everyone in the last update. You can now chose to let your AVR decode the audio stream. This is completely independent from #1 settings you have and will be used when a BR is playing. Atmos is supported here.

FYI : if you end up with an error message "your system isn't compatible, please remove the AVR decode option" (or something similar) when trying to play a BR, you will need to go in the system settings/video and be sure that the HDMi output is set to "auto" and not "HDMI". that's stupid, but if you keep it on HDMI the BR app won't work with bitstream on...(spent 3 months before discovering this )

My guess is that those 2 different bitstream options are temporary. I think the bitstream will be first a per app/game option, then will certainly merge into one option on the system level setting. Pretty sure we will know more about that with SWBF2, as SWBF1 was Atmos on PC and I'm pretty sure Atmos is going to be a part of the specs for Scorpio... Overwatch should also be Atmos compatible somewhere down the road. But i really don't expect anything soon like a "push a switch and everything is atmos", it will certainly be a very long process with step by step implementation.

I just saw the above post and changing the HDMI setting to auto worked for me. This has been bugging for months, but at least bit streaming now works me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #21967 of 22117 Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post
I just saw the above post and changing the HDMI setting to auto worked for me. This has been bugging for months, but at least bit streaming now works me.

Will try that when I get home. Changed the HDMI to auto now it's working. Thanks.

Last edited by bori; 04-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #21968 of 22117 Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post

Worked for me. I just set it to Bitstream on HDMI option and how sweet it is to finally be able to see the DTS-MA MSTR and DD TRU-HD - haven't seen that in a while and never coming from the Xbox. Too bad it came at the cost of removing snap feature.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #21969 of 22117 Old 04-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Woke up this morning, decided to check settings etc and woohoo!!
(Not in insider program either)
aaronwt likes this.
post #21970 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 719
aaronwt and onlysublime like this.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
BattleTag - Kenshiro26#1462
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
post #21971 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

aaronwt and onlysublime like this.

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
post #21972 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
Microsoft seems to have learned a lesson from Sony on how to temper expectations on a hardware refresh. Where Sony initially disappointed a lot of fans with the Pro, MS is ahead of the rumors and letting us know this is a mid-generation console refresh. The message here seems to be Scorpio is not a new Xbox -- it's a new Xbox One. And it looks to be a damn good one.

I'm optimistic that, with Scorpio, MS is pushing console gaming in the right direction. Hopefully game devs will be committing to dynamic resolution and framerate for all graphic-intensive titles moving forward. That way any game w/ a lot of eye-candy that can't hit 4K/60 on Scorpio should be able to do so on future hardware.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #21973 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So excited! Project Scorpio can't get here soon enough.

Curious what the name will be. Xbox One X?
post #21974 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

These were tantalizing quotes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...to-a-new-level

"The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Investigator for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get. From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware.

I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port. Out of interest, we tested Forza 6 Apex with similar settings at 4K on GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080. Frames were dropped on GTX 1060 (and a lot of them when wet weather conditions kicked in), while GTX 1070 held firm with only the most intense wet weather conditions causing performance dips. Only GTX 1080 held completely solid in all test cases. It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port."

"With some PS4 Pro titles, we've been vocal in our criticisms of game modes locked to specific display types. If a title has a high resolution mode, 1080p display users should get super-sampling - something that doesn't always happen, even on Sony first party games. Part of Microsoft's commitment to the 1080p user is that super-sampling just happens out of the box - if a Scorpio title runs at a higher resolution, it must downsample for full HD screens. Similarly, in-game frame-rates must be the same or faster than standard Xbox One titles. Hopefully we'll actually see smoother performance. [UPDATE: We've updated this paragraph to clarify that downsampling happens at a system level, it's not a requirement for the developer to implement it.]

At the hardware level, Microsoft is confident in the quality of the scaler built into Scorpio's display processor. It's enhanced over the Xbox One S equivalent to "handle the bandwidth and quality requirements of 4K", using a high quality six-tap vertical and horizontal Lanczos filter. Compared to a native 1080p output on Xbox One, super-sampling is a great feature to have: anti-aliasing quality is second to none, the same texture filtering quality improves with more resolution (for a given screen area, the texture is sampled more) and art is richer owing to the use of more highly detailed texture assets.

Microsoft's insistence on 1080p supersampling is actually more inclusive than it sounds, and it's good news for users of all screens. There have been instances of PS4 Pro games with higher performance 1080p modes only accessible if the front-end is set to a full HD output - No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian are two examples of this. If your Pro's set to 4K instead, you might never even know that an alternative, higher performing mode exists. With Scorpio, all game modes - resolution, performance or otherwise - must be available to all users regardless of the display the console is attached to. This philosophy reflects a long-held Digital Foundry view, and hopefully PS4 Pro titles will also follow suit.

In the wake of the Microsoft visit, I've little doubt that Project Scorpio will be a great piece of hardware. Xbox One S went above and beyond what we would expect from a second-gen 'slim' design - in a sense, the Xbox team regained its hardware mojo. But the technology, craftsmanship and attention to detail throughout the new device is simply first class (the only unknown remaining from my perspective is fan noise). It's entirely fair to say that with Xbox One, Microsoft lost technological leadership to Sony and PlayStation 4. Project Scorpio really is exactly the right reaction from the Xbox team in the face of Sony's success: in many respects, this is console hardware design pushed to a new level, with a meticulous focus on appealing to the core gamer."
DaverJ and ATrainIU24 like this.
post #21975 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6414 Post(s)
Liked: 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Microsoft seems to have learned a lesson from Sony on how to temper expectations on a hardware refresh. Where Sony initially disappointed a lot of fans with the Pro, MS is ahead of the rumors and letting us know this is a mid-generation console refresh. The message here seems to be Scorpio is not a new Xbox -- it's a new Xbox One. And it looks to be a damn good one.

I'm optimistic that, with Scorpio, MS is pushing console gaming in the right direction. Hopefully game devs will be committing to dynamic resolution and framerate for all graphic-intensive titles moving forward. That way any game w/ a lot of eye-candy that can't hit 4K/60 on Scorpio should be able to do so on future hardware.
I'm looking forward to it. Since getting my PS4 Pro, I've barely played any games on my XBOne S units. So I expect Scorpio to do the same thing for me as the PS4. And increase my playing time with XBox games. Plus I still have around $270 credit to use. So I plan on spending it on games that really take advantage of Scorpio.
DaverJ likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #21976 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm looking forward to it. Since getting my PS4 Pro, I've barely played any games on my XBOne S units. So I expect Scorpio to do the same thing for me as the PS4. And increase my playing time with XBox games. Plus I still have around $270 credit to use. So I plan on spending it on games that really take advantage of Scorpio.
Yeah, I barely touch the XB1-S in favor of the PS4 Pro, even though I like the XB controller more.

My plan is to trade the XB1-S for whatever I can get (read: probably next to nothing) when Scorpio comes out, and jump ship yet again from PlayStation back to exclusively Xbox. If that "vapor-chamber cooling" is as quiet as I hope it is, that alone will be reason enough for the switch.

I have a feeling the Scorpio will become the console that converts a lot of die-hard PlayStation gamers over to XB.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 04-06-2017 at 02:12 PM.
post #21977 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Most impressive thing about this screenshot from the article is the stats at the top, the game's being rendered at 2160p60 but is using only 66% of the GPU and RAM, looks like Microsoft has really put a lot of work into optimizing this hardware to get true 4K gameplay in the console space, with room to spare apparently.

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
post #21978 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

another EuroGamer article. sounds so good!!!:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...will-be-better

"In designing for compatibility, there are two choices that we can take from a performance perspective," Microsoft's Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow, Graphics tells us. "One of which is to design hardware to emulate the performance capabilities of the original [console] as much as possible, or the other one is to say, we're just going to turn on all the performance and we're going to deal with all the issues."

What Goossen described as the 'emulation' approach is seen in PS4 Pro's design. Sony's latest console uses a 'butterfly' approach to GPU design, effectively mirroring the base unit's GPU with an extra rank of 18 compute units, doubling power (more so once extra frequency is added). With this approach, Sony can ensure complete compatibility simply by turning off the additional, new 'half' of the graphics core. It's an elegant solution, but what's clear is that the newly introduced boost mode doesn't deliver the Pro's full power to existing base PS4 titles.

Microsoft has taken the harder route - and it has done so by necessity. It doesn't have the option of doubling up on its existing design, as Scorpio is a radical architectural overhaul. Here, it's down to the platform holder to take ownership of compatibility issues, but the advantage is this: unlike PS4's boost mode, Scorpio theoretically allows for the full power of the new console to be deployed on older games. In fact, there are five different ways in which Scorpio aims to improve the experience for owners of existing Xbox One games - and these should also apply to Xbox 360 back-compat titles.

1. Smoother performance and no screen-tearing

"We bring to bear all 40 compute units and the full 1172MHz clock-speed [of the Scorpio GPU], we're bringing those to bear on all the games possible," says Andrew Goossen. "Now, I have a caveat a bit later about all the compatibility testing we do for these and
some of the implications, but we can bring all the 40CUs, all 1172MHz, of course the full 2.3GHz on the CPU."

2. Maximum possible resolution on dynamic titles

A popular technique in games development is to adapt dynamic resolution scaling. The idea here is straightforward: when a game is in danger of losing its lock on its performance target, be it 30fps or 60fps, the title scales down the image, running it at a lower resolution in order to maintain a smoother frame-rate. There are many games out there that support dynamic scaling - Doom 2016, Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and The Division, for example.

"With the additional performance of the Scorpio Engine, we expect to see those titles hit the maximum render resolution that those titles support," says Goossen. "As you know, we can't boost it to 4K, but definitely the maximum resolution the game supports, we should be able to run it."

We're looking forward to testing one particular title: CD Projekt RED's The Witcher 3. The developer states it supports dynamic resolution scaling, but we've yet to see it break the 900p barrier. Given Scorpio's 4.6x improvement in performance, surely if the tech is in there, we should hit native 1080p - and iron out the performance wobbles at the same time.

3. Improved texture filtering

Resolution is an important, defining aspect of image quality but it is not the only one. Texture filtering is hugely important - and it's actually an element where both PS4 and Xbox One have let us down a little compared to the same titles running on PC, where the full force of 16x anisotropic filtering can make a big difference.

"We built into the hardware the capability of overwriting all bilinear and all trilinear fetches to be anisotropic," Andrew Goossen reveals. "And then we've dialled up the anisotropic all the way up to max. All of our titles by default when you're running on Scorpio, they'll be full anisotropic."

Good quality texture filtering will make a big difference to a large number of Xbox One titles, where typically 4x anisotropic tends to be the balancing point chosen by developers. The leap to 16x, enforced at a system level by the back-compat engine, is a huge boon, especially in concert with the complete lack of screen-tear and smoother overall performance. More good news: this new feature extends to Xbox 360 games too.

4. Scorpio GameDVR support

Microsoft's plans for GameDVR on Scorpio are impressive - the hardware team is leveraging the new console's next-gen media block to provide 4K60 video capture with no performance hit, utilising the highly efficient HEVC codec for pristine visual quality. GameDVR works for back-compat titles too, which has some key benefits.

"Even though a lot of this content will be 1080p, we'll have the benefit of HEVC, the ultra high bit-rate, so we'll be able to do those retroactive screen captures at a really high quality."

5. Faster loading

In a world where a Battlefield 1 campaign level can take anything up to two minutes to load, this one is especially welcome. "We're able to say that game loads will be fundamentally faster," Goossen reveals. "There are three ways we say that - one of which is the CPU boost. The 31 per cent CPU boost in terms of clock will help games that are CPU-bound in terms of their IO."

Assets streamed from a hard drive often arrive in a compressed state, requiring the CPU to decompress them. Extra frequency on the CPU cores can make a difference here - sometimes a dramatic one. Case in point: the Division on PC can actually max out all six cores and 12 threads on an overclocked Intel Core i7 3930K, just through loading content.

"The second one is that we've that we've improved the hard disk speed," Goossen adds. "We're actually promising developers a 50 per cent improvement in overall bandwidth for the purposes of driving 4K textures, but this also helps us in this situation where you're running existing Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles. They will also benefit from the faster hard disk."

This is an example of how another spec boost in the Scorpio arsenal means good things for other areas in the system - a factor that also comes into play on the third and final way in which Scorpio will improve back-compat loading times. The new console gives developers eight gigs of RAM to play with, but existing Xbox One titles were only built to utilise 5GB - something the hardware team use to their advantage.

"If Xbox One games take five gigs, we have three gigs left over. We do a file system cache on that. Any repeated IOs... if you go into a race and come out or if you go into a fight and come out, we've got a nice boost right there for load times as well."
post #21979 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rpio-explained

Come on, give us a hint!

The form factor of the console will pleasantly surprise you. As for cost, Microsoft told us absolutely nothing - but looking at what's in it, it ain't going to be cheap. Our guess, and it is just a guess, is $499, the same launch price as the original Xbox One.

So, what did you find out?

Microsoft gave us the full tech specs of the machine. The central processor (CPU) has eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz. The graphics processor (GPU) has 40 customised compute units clocked at 1172MHz - a very high clock speed for a console - and it does achieve Microsoft's stated six-teraflop performance figure. There's 12GB of GDDR5 RAM, with a memory bandwidth of 326GB/s. There's a faster 1TB 2.5-inch hard drive, and a UHD Blu-ray drive. Like Xbox One S, it has an integrated power supply, so no external power brick. In terms of input/output ports, it is identical to Xbox One S (so, no Kinect port, but HDMI in is retained).
I didn't understand any of that.

OK, so the CPU is about 30 per cent faster than the Xbox One's. The GPU is 4.6 times more powerful than Xbox One's. What matters just as much, though, is the huge amount of very fast memory available. Even with 4GB reserved for the system, games have a whole 8GB to play with, up from 5GB of much slower memory on Xbox One. That means fast streaming of very high-quality art assets, which will really help at the 4K ultra HD resolutions that Microsoft is gunning for.

So it's as powerful as they said it would be? As powerful as everyone hoped?

Pretty much, yeah. Some were hoping to see next-gen CPU technology in there, but that was never likely, given Microsoft's mandated compatibility with all existing Xbox One software. On the CPU side, what we have is a more modest evolution of the Xbox One unit. But the GPU is a beast. It's very, very fast.

More powerful than PlayStation 4 Pro?

Yes. Sony's machine is very clever and produces great results in the right hands - and as ever, the quality of the end results depends on how well the software runs, not on waving numbers around. But as far as those numbers go, Scorpio has PS4 Pro licked. It will surely be more expensive, too. It's a higher-spec machine in every sense, down to the optical drive that plays the new UHD Blu-ray format (not that anyone buys those). Microsoft uses the word "premium", and you know what that means: $$$.

So that means...

Scorpio potentially has enough power not just to run Xbox One games at 4K resolution at the same frame rate - it's got power to spare on improving their looks further, with higher quality graphics settings, smoother frame rates, and more.

I don't have a 4K TV and I doubt I'm going to get one any time soon. Why should I care?

Microsoft has made a commitment that (unlike PS4 Pro) all improved Scorpio modes for games must be available regardless of the display that's connected. So even with a regular 1080p TV, you'll be able to choose between performance modes that make the game run better, or resolution modes that will then "supersample" the 4K image down to your 1080p display, which should give you superb image quality - basically, a fantastically smooth and pretty picture. It's like having the ultimate anti-aliasing solution.

Hmm, maybe...

OK, how about this: Scorpio will run absolutely all Xbox One games better, whether they get patched with 4K/Scorpio enhanced modes or not. Rather than running on an emulated Xbox One, they'll run with the full power of Scorpio unlocked, which in most cases should mean: more stable frame rates that hit their target more often; no screen tearing; maximum possible resolution at all times; nicer-looking textures; and faster load times, thanks to the improved hard drive and the spare 3GB of fast RAM.

Sounds good. What about backwards compatible Xbox 360 games? Any advantages there?

Yep, all the above. And it's worth pointing out that none of this has been easy for Microsoft to engineer. There's an impressive commitment to making as many Xbox games as possible run better than you've ever seen them before on Scorpio.
post #21980 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

there is one aspect to the GameDVR running with HEVC (which is H.265, right?). Youtube doesn't currently support H.265. It is amazing how Youtube scales over time though. I uploaded far above their specs way back when even though Youtube didn't support it. But now that they do support the specs I uploaded, my old videos look much better and far closer to the original versions than when I first uploaded to Youtube years ago.

I should be getting a new 4K recorder but 4K60 is really expensive still. 4K30 is reasonably priced and would save me a ton of bandwidth.
post #21981 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess this is the kind of detail to be expected but still good stuff.

very cool that you can just unplug the cables from the One S and then plug them back into the Scorpio at the same locations:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-tech-revealed

4K ultra HD visuals to suit the new generation of televisions are clearly the target, but Microsoft's solution means substantial spec upgrades over the PlayStation 4 Pro design in virtually all areas. That said, Sony's philosophy of 'smart' GPU design is also in effect here, executed in a very different manner, and backed up with a lot more horsepower.

The end result is 40 Radeon compute units in the custom Scorpio Engine, ramped up to a remarkable 1172MHz - a huge increase over Xbox One's 853MHz, and indeed PS4 Pro's 911MHz. We got a fair amount right or close to the mark in our original Project Scorpio spec analysis, but we were way off the mark in terms of prospective GPU clocks. How Microsoft managed to achieve this speaks to the quality of the engineering elsewhere in the box, but the fact is that Scorpio's GPU is only 94MHz off the maximum boost clock of AMD's Polaris-based RX 480 graphics card, which only has 36 compute units - and requires a meaty custom cooler to sustain its max boost clock.

"Those are the big ticket items, but there's a lot of other configuration that we had to do as well," says Goossen, pointing to a layout of the Scorpio Engine processor. "As you can see, we doubled the amount of shader engines. That has the effect of improvement of boosting our triangle and vertex rate by 2.7x when you include the clock boost as well. We doubled the number of render back-ends, which has the effect of increasing our fill-rate by 2.7x. We quadrupled the GPU L2 cache size, again for targeting the 4K performance."

Scorpio runs its GDDR5 modules across a 384-bit GDDR5 interface ("So you were right!" laughs Goossen) that uses 12 32-bit channels. The modules themselves run at 6.8GHz, offering a final bandwidth figure of 326GB/s - on top of which, Microsoft gets the benefit of AMD's delta colour compression (DCC) system, an element that wasn't present on Xbox One. And yes, Scorpio does indeed feature 12GB of memory, as indicated on Microsoft's E3 motherboard render, 8GB of which is available to developers, with 4GB reserved for the system. That's an additional 1GB of reservation compared to Xbox One, required in order to run the dashboard at native 4K. Titles still receive an impressive 60 per cent bump to overall memory though, and to ensure loading times consistent with full HD Xbox One games, Scorpio ships with a 1TB hard drive with a 50 per cent increase in bandwidth.

On the CPU side, there's been much conjecture that Scorpio would feature AMD's new Ryzen technology - something we thought unlikely, owing to manufacturing timelines, not to mention Microsoft telling us last year that the new console would feature eight CPU cores. All signs point to the upclocked Jaguar cores we find in Xbox One, and Scorpio's CPU set-up is indeed an evolution of that tech, but subject to extensive customisation and the offloading of key tasks to dedicated hardware.

"So, eight cores, organised as two clusters with a total of 4MB of L2 cache. These are unique customised CPUs for Scorpio running at 2.3GHz. Alluding back to the goals, we wanted to maintain 100 per cent backwards compatibility with Xbox One and Xbox One S while also pushing the performance envelope," says Nick Baker.

The new x86 cores in Scorpio are 31 per cent faster than Xbox One's, with extensive customisation to reduce latency in order to keep the processor occupied more fully, while CPU/GPU coherency also gets a performance uplift. There's significant hardware offloading too - some of which is inherited from Xbox One, some of which is radically new. The audio processor in Xbox One is fully transplanted across to Scorpio and gains new functionality - spatial surround, effectively adding a 'height' component to the existing 7.1 set-up. Scorpio is set to receive support for Dolby Atmos for gaming, Dolby Atmos for headphones plus a Microsoft proprietary format called HRTF, developed by the Hololens team. Because the APB (audio processor block) hardware is basically identical to that found in Xbox One, it means that all existing iterations of the console will get the spatial surround upgrade.

The Scorpio Engine processor measures 360mm2 and features seven billion transistors. We got to see the chip plan, with the four shader engines occupying the majority of the die, skewed towards the left of the layout. Each SE actually has 11 compute units, with one disabled per block to increase chip yield on the production line. To the right of the GPU sit the two clusters of custom CPU cores, while the memory interfaces skirt the edges of the chip.

Also integrated is the latest AMD media block, meaning that the Xbox GameDVR gets an upgrade to 4K60 using the next-gen HEVC codec - you can even capture your content in full HDR. What Microsoft calls retroactive screen capture is also introduced, meaning you can move through your captures frame-by-frame to take out the best shot, without having to press the screenshot button at exactly the right time.

"On the display output, of course, HDMI 2.0 - we need that for the additional frame-rate for 4K and also HDR and the wide colour gamut," says Nick Baker. "In addition, we have always believed in having flexible output processing with three output planes so you can have your render target, your overlay dash and video playing. Each one of those has symmetric capabilities in terms of being able to run sampling, so we have a high quality multi-tap filter. As an example, if you render at 4K and you're going to a 1080p TV, you can use that to do a high quality sample."

Downsampling to 1080p is an important point. Regular Digital Foundry readers will know that we've been vocal about all PS4 Pro modes being available to all users, regardless of the display attached to the console. Performance modes should be accessible to 4K users, while ultra HD rendering should super-sample down for those 1080p displays. Microsoft takes care of this at the platform level, and it requires that all titles should run at the same frame-rate or higher as the standard Xbox One. [UPDATE: Microsoft has clarified that 1080p supersampling is handled at the system level with higher resolution rendering modes as opposed to imposing this on the developer - we've adjusted the text to reflect this.]

In what we think is a first for a mainstream consumer-level piece of tech, Scorpio features vapour-chamber cooling, similar to the set-up seen on the high-end GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti PC graphics cards.

To cut a long story short, Microsoft is using a vapour chamber heat sink. It consists of a copper vessel that forms its basis, inside of which is ionised distilled water under vacuum. Heat is absorbed into the water, where it vapourises. The steam convects away from the hot spots and condenses on the heat sink fins. It's highly efficient - but the heat still needs to be expelled from the system and the standard axial fans used on prior Xbox hardware wouldn't cut the mustard.

"We went to a custom designed adapted centrifugal fan for this design," Del Castillo continues. "It kind of looks like a supercharger on a car, it looks like an intercooler almost. Every part about this is custom designed for the application."

Then there's the UHD Blu-ray drive - pretty much the same unit we saw in Xbox One S, with minor mods to fit the Scorpio chassis.

It was also heartening to see that Microsoft has retained an internal power supply: in this case, a 245W universal voltage PSU that Del Castillo reckons is the most efficient in Xbox history. On the rear of the unit, the arrangement of ports is identical to Xbox One S, including the standard figure-eight power socket (as opposed to the much larger 'kettle' cable arrangement used on PS4 Pro). The thinking here is that those who've plumbed their Xbox One S into their AV set-up can swap over to Scorpio with next to no effort. Since port arrangement is based on Xbox One S, there's no return for the original Xbox One's Kinect port (a USB adapter is required) but the HDMI input is retained. The final form factor - the 'ID' as Microsoft calls it - will be revealed at E3, where we suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.
aaronwt and DaverJ like this.
post #21982 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I read an article the other day stating that Dolby Vision was designed in a could be implemented thru a patch. Was there any mention of potential DV on the Scorpio?
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #21983 of 22117 Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6414 Post(s)
Liked: 3963
We know Microsoft should be able run Dolby Vision in software. If they want to pay the license fee for it.
oneeyeblind likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #21984 of 22117 Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Well, it seems that they already have a nice partnership with Dolby regarding Atmos (that may be the format used for every sound output in a near/not so far future on xbox...), so Dolby vision may be possible. But the question is : how will it work with games ? HDR10 seems to be the smallest denominator between Xbox and PS4, is there any developer that will make a Dolby Vision game just for the xbox and just for the very few screens able to use it ?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #21985 of 22117 Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Most impressive thing about this screenshot from the article is the stats at the top, the game's being rendered at 2160p60 but is using only 66% of the GPU and RAM, looks like Microsoft has really put a lot of work into optimizing this hardware to get true 4K gameplay in the console space, with room to spare apparently.

Damn that's pretty.

XBOX: Budracin88
Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
DESTINY 2 (PC)!!! - AKA Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
Uplay ID: Budracin8808
YouTube Channel
post #21986 of 22117 Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
Well, it seems that they already have a nice partnership with Dolby regarding Atmos (that may be the format used for every sound output in a near/not so far future on xbox...), so Dolby vision may be possible. But the question is : how will it work with games ? HDR10 seems to be the smallest denominator between Xbox and PS4, is there any developer that will make a Dolby Vision game just for the xbox and just for the very few screens able to use it ?
There'll be a developer who'll go for it, becuz it'll set them apart from everyone else-most won't have it. Something like Forza or Destiny where the landscapes/views are already amazing on the current consoles.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #21987 of 22117 Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
post #21988 of 22117 Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Gamasutra will have an in depth break down on what it will be like to develop for Project Scorpio.

The portents ring true: We'll have an in-depth breakdown of Project Scorpio (from a #gamedev perspective) this Wednesday! pic.twitter.com/leU7Za4vUf
post #21989 of 22117 Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
post #21990 of 22117 Old 04-11-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Way to go Microsoft! They are back to pushing tech forward instead of following the leader, and focusing on a gaming-first console.

Really looking forward to Scorpio.
oneeyeblind and chmorgan like this.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page