The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 734 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1888Likes
post #21991 of 22004 Unread 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 819
^^

agreed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21992 of 22004 Unread 04-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Still waiting for how much it will cost.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #21993 of 22004 Unread 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2783 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I recall paying $600 for a launch model $60GB PS3 that I played very few games on . (I already owned a 360 and there were almost no exclusives which interested me, just as there are only a couple PS4 exclusives which interest me now, why I haven't bought one of those).

Could I be less willing to pay as much for Scorpio, which I will constantly use? Hopefully it'll cost less but I'm sure I'll put up whatever it does cost (which'll probably be less than a top-of-the-line gaming graphics card).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 04-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.

post #21994 of 22004 Unread 04-16-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 3582
Quote:
Probably won't find out for another couple months - mid June at E3, maybe?

I still don't see how they could mass produce this custom tech for under $500, and going over moves it out of many people's spending comfort zone.

I'm still bracing for a single SKU, 1TB with no pack-ins, @ $499. Anything less will be a gift from MS, any more we'll just have to grin and bear it.
aaronwt and kevin g. like this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #21995 of 22004 Unread 04-16-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Let's face reality. We're all buying it, regardless LOL.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #21996 of 22004 Unread 04-25-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Let's face reality. We're all buying it, regardless LOL.
You're probably right.
post #21997 of 22004 Unread 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am definitely going to wait for a good deal. I have such a large backlog as it is .
post #21998 of 22004 Unread 04-26-2017, 07:20 PM

This new hardware will supposedly make that backlog of titles look and play better.

post #21999 of 22004 Unread 04-26-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
This new hardware will supposedly make that backlog of titles look and play better.
That's how I have been reading it as well. Seems like this is the system that should have come out first!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22000 of 22004 Unread 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM

You mean instead of Xbone S? Xbone S was shrewd move; the tech in Scorpio wasn't ready and if the S hadn't been there PS4 Pro would have killed them. A 4K-capable Xbox One with a built-in UHD BDP was a very good stop-gap. I don't begrudge their launching something vastly superior 16 months later.
DaverJ likes this.

post #22001 of 22004 Unread Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You mean instead of Xbone S? Xbone S was shrewd move; the tech in Scorpio wasn't ready and if the S hadn't been there PS4 Pro would have killed them. A 4K-capable Xbox One with a built-in UHD BDP was a very good stop-gap. I don't begrudge their launching something vastly superior 16 months later.
I think the Scropio should have been the system from the very beginning. I like my Xbox One, but now seeing what the Scorpio can do just makes me Spencer was running the show beforehand. We may have had a better system from the get go. Either way if the price is not high it's still not a bad deal considering it's 4 years later.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22002 of 22004 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I think the Scropio should have been the system from the very beginning. I like my Xbox One, but now seeing what the Scorpio can do just makes me Spencer was running the show beforehand. We may have had a better system from the get go. Either way if the price is not high it's still not a bad deal considering it's 4 years later.
I don't think Spencer is the only reason scorpio exist. Tech and cost are a huge factor and the plan changed from what was revealed in 2013. I don't think anything would be much different with how things went if Spencer was head of Xbox. He has to answer to bosses and shareholders as well. What's happening now is no different then how things went from Wii to Wii U to Switch and PS3 to PS4. The ups and downs we see from those systems are the same ups and downs Xbox is going through. They all had to answer to bosses and shareholders and now they are going a different route learning from mistakes made along the way.

Scorpio exist because of what's happened along with software and tech catching up to their vision.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #22003 of 22004 Unread Today, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

True to a point, but I think he would have pushed for some stronger specs with the Xbox one. The GPU is weak and could have been bigger.

You gotta love the what if game

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22004 of 22004 Unread Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
it's all a guessing game. When Sony and Microsoft shop companies like Intel, IBM, and AMD for chipsets, GPUs, and CPUs, these companies have roadmaps for all their products and what technology will be available when.

Microsoft and Sony know when they want to release their consoles and choose the appropriate tech that fits that timeframe. And they all have a sense of how much they want the console to cost so consoles tend to have the same prices. And this is why consoles tend to have the same tech.

It's just that there are breaking point decisions that change the fates. Like how Microsoft wanted to go with 256 GB with the 360 but Epic Games said this is what a game will look like with 256 GB and this is what a game will look like with 512 GB. And that's how the 360 ended up with 512 GB of RAM.

And remember the PS4 was going to have less RAM but it's strongly rumored that it was bumped up at a very late hour when they found out the Xbox One would have 8 GB of RAM. And Microsoft gambled that GDDR5 was going to remain cost-prohibitive and went with the safer pricing on DDR3 whereas Sony gambled that GDDR5 pricing would drop which it did. Microsoft had to factor in the cost of Kinect and that cost comes from the budget. So Sony didn't have to worry about a Kinect in their budget and used that part of the budget toward a higher end chipset from AMD (Pitcairn versus Bonaire). So you make decisions and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

If you look at it from their perspective back then, their decisions didn't seem so bad then. Microsoft's most important markets have always been the US and UK because those markets spend the most money. The 360 dominated those markets and so they thought that they could go all in on the "One" concept. Have a device that is the center of the entertainment. They thought that all 360 customers would become One customers. Lock in. Just like with Apple. iPod owners because iPhone owners. And iPhone owners almost always remain iPhone owners.

But the thing with Apple is their customer base is different. They are not stat heavy. iPhone never had the best hardware. But they had great hardware with a great software ecosystem. Gamers are macho. It's hard for them to accept a machine viewed as inferior. They spent hundreds of dollars on consoles and games and want to feel vindicated that they made the best purchase. And they need to convince their friends what the best purchase is and then it becomes a mob mentality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition