The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 737 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1929Likes

post #22081 of 22110 Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Okay, just for clarity's sake on all this Atmos/Windows Sonic thing... so far, this only applies to movies? it doesn't really apply to games yet, correct? I still need to have my Turtle Beach's set as it is for gaming.

It sounds promising to have better audio from the same set of headphones.
No, you set your TB's to stereo mode(turning off their virtual surround). Then in the One's audio settings you select Sonic(you have to buy Atmos) and check the "HDMI or optical" or whatever it sez box. This allows the One to take the unprocessed stereo signal and use the Atmos or Sonic processing. I can tell you that the Stealth 500X surround is utter crap(I used to think it was pretty good) compared to the Atmos processing. I mean it's literally a true surround experience, night and day. I tried it w/ Siege last nite, and WOW. This is not a subtle difference we're talking about, it's like getting a new headset. The Atmos is a bit too tinny, it desperately needs a bass boost. I haven't tried Sonic yet. Imagine being able to buy a cheap stereo headset, and now being able to get good surround sound out of it. That must be why TB's new wireless 7.1 surround set is like half the price of their previous versions-they know people don't and won't pay for it when the One's processing better and FREE($15 for Atmos).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N

Last edited by rightintel; 08-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22082 of 22110 Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
so ALL games will have surround sound regardless of patching or developer intervention?

If that's the case, I'd be willing to try it for $15.
post #22083 of 22110 Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
so ALL games will have surround sound regardless of patching or developer intervention?

If that's the case, I'd be willing to try it for $15.
They won't have Atmos unless specifically programmed, but they will all process surround in Windows Sonic.

post #22084 of 22110 Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I'm trying to understand as well.

So, pay $15 but Atmos will still only work in apps/games that support Atmos. Is that pretty much limited to the demo app and Blu-Rays for now? Does it work for all BDs or does it have to have an Atmos soundtrack?

Windows Sonic works with all apps/games outputting a stereo signal. Is this correct?

Is it the same for Windows 10 PCs/laptops? I can choose Windows Sonic and listen to Vudu/iTunes movies in surround but not Atmos.

Do I have all this right?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #22085 of 22110 Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
So, pay $15 but Atmos will still only work in apps/games that support Atmos. Is that pretty much limited to the demo app and Blu-Rays for now? Does it work for all BDs or does it have to have an Atmos soundtrack?

Any soundtrack that doesn't have an Atmos track can be upmixed using the Dolby Surround decider which is included in almost every (99%) of processors, recovers and sound bars that have Atmos decoders. There is no reason to have the player do that work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #22086 of 22110 Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I was asking about the Dolby Atmos for Headphones app for Xbox One and Windows, not Atmos receivers.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #22087 of 22110 Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I'm trying to understand as well.

Windows Sonic works with all apps/games outputting a stereo signal. Is this correct?

Is it the same for Windows 10 PCs/laptops? I can choose Windows Sonic and listen to Vudu/iTunes movies in surround but not Atmos.

Do I have all this right?
They must process it in virtual Atmos. Reason I say this is last nite I switched back n forth between Atmos/Sonic(on the same game), and it was very different. Atmos was more tinny/lot less bass, but it was really spatially localized and immersive. Sonic had better balance with additional base, bu surround wasn't quite as good. I can't emphasize enough how good the surround processing w/ Atmos was. it's like having a new headset.

post #22088 of 22110 Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 672
It has come to my attention that there are 4K players which will play 4K discs on non-4K displays/projectors (in 1080p resolution I assume). I am wondering since the Xbox One S is a 4K player, can it/will it play a 4K disc out to a non 4K TV/Projector in 1080p but WITH the Atmos soundtrack enabled. My AVR is Atmos enabled and 4K enabled, but my displays are not. I would like to be able to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 4K disc since it contains the Atmos soundtrack while the bluray does not, so I get the benefit of Atmos. Will Xbox One S do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #22089 of 22110 Old 08-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
It has come to my attention that there are 4K players which will play 4K discs on non-4K displays/projectors (in 1080p resolution I assume). I am wondering since the Xbox One S is a 4K player, can it/will it play a 4K disc out to a non 4K TV/Projector in 1080p but WITH the Atmos soundtrack enabled. My AVR is Atmos enabled and 4K enabled, but my displays are not. I would like to be able to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 4K disc since it contains the Atmos soundtrack while the bluray does not, so I get the benefit of Atmos. Will Xbox One S do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
My avr is not hdcp 2.2 compliant so the Xbox would downscale the resolution to 1080p with the Atmos soundtrack..I do have a 4k tv tho. I'm not sure if it would do the same thing with a non 4k tv but believe you should be able to get 1080 + Atmos from the 4k disc.
post #22090 of 22110 Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
No, you set your TB's to stereo mode(turning off their virtual surround). Then in the One's audio settings you select Sonic(you have to buy Atmos) and check the "HDMI or optical" or whatever it sez box. This allows the One to take the unprocessed stereo signal and use the Atmos or Sonic processing. I can tell you that the Stealth 500X surround is utter crap(I used to think it was pretty good) compared to the Atmos processing. I mean it's literally a true surround experience, night and day. I tried it w/ Siege last nite, and WOW. This is not a subtle difference we're talking about, it's like getting a new headset. The Atmos is a bit too tinny, it desperately needs a bass boost. I haven't tried Sonic yet. Imagine being able to buy a cheap stereo headset, and now being able to get good surround sound out of it. That must be why TB's new wireless 7.1 surround set is like half the price of their previous versions-they know people don't and won't pay for it when the One's processing better and FREE($15 for Atmos).
Ok, tried this Dolby App with my Astro A50 and it sounded amazing. I'll be picking up this app after the 30 day trial.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22091 of 22110 Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Path of Exile is up

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22092 of 22110 Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

improvements to Rise of the Tomb Raider sound amazing!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...s-over-ps4-pro

At Gamescom 2017, Square-Enix revealed a playable demo of the title running on Xbox One X - our first chance to see how the game compares to both the base Microsoft console, and of course PlayStation 4 Pro. The initial takeaway? First impressions suggest that Xbox One X is indeed capable of producing a tangibly improved version of a key third-party title - what we've played looked even better than the excellent PS4 Pro release.

Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.

Just like the PS4 Pro game, there are three specific game modes you can swap between in real-time - all of them boasting considerable upgrades on Xbox One X. The checkerboard 4K mode on Pro is boosted to full, native ultra HD with a mostly consistent 30 frames per second. This is backed by higher resolution art assets and improved texture filtering - all of which in combination offers a distinct visual upgrade over the equivalent PS4 Pro mode.

The Pro's 'enriched' mode also makes an appearance on Xbox One X and seems to feature a very similar visual feature set, packing in more graphical upgrades ported over from the PC version. However, the big difference here is that it's presented as an alternative 4K mode, as opposed to PS4's 1080p presentation. It's not immediately clear how Nixxes has pulled this off, but there's a slight shimmering effect around edges in motion, and a curious vertical interlace-type effect when the game is paused, suggesting some kind of temporal reconstruction or checkerboarding technique (no claims are made for a native presentation here). Regardless, it's a really nice addition - there's a lot of controversy surrounding 'smart' upscaling techniques vs native resolution rendering. Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X offers users the ability to choose between razor-sharpness or a softer look, but with more visual features in place.

Rounding off the package of rendering modes is another port from PlayStation 4 Pro - the high frame-rate option. This drops back the quality to base PS4/Xbox One equivalent settings and unlocks performance, diverting the Scorpio Engine's power to raw throughput. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't include the Geothermal Valley - the ultimate stress test area for the title, and particularly stressful on CPU - but the entirety of the Prophet's Tomb level played back locked at 60 frames per second.

On top of that, there are further enhancements we've not seen on any other platform: Dolby Atmos spatial surround support is confirmed, along with HDR rendering. We actually saw HDR running on the PC version of the game way back in March 2016 at Nvidia's GTX 1080 launch (there's even a blog post from Nixxes about it), but for reasons unknown, the feature never made its way to users. With this in mind, we're hopeful that HDR support will roll out to all Rise of the Tomb Raider users, regardless of platform.

Of course Rise of the Tomb Raider is an older game, but it remains one of the most impressive third party games of this generation, and a highly demanding workout for a range of hardware when maxed out in its excellent PC incarnation. But perhaps by this point, the game has more of a reputation as a technical benchmark - and in this respect, this first hands-on suggests that Xbox One X will indeed deliver the best console version of a particularly challenging third-party title.
post #22093 of 22110 Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Mike Ybarra has an informal look at the new dash.

aaronwt and Yuss like this.
post #22094 of 22110 Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 460
If I trade in my older xbone that came pre-installed with all the old halo games, will those games be attached to my live account for later download? I want to keep the games somehow, if it's possible.
post #22095 of 22110 Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
If I trade in my older xbone that came pre-installed with all the old halo games, will those games be attached to my live account for later download? I want to keep the games somehow, if it's possible.
They should be. those games should be associated with your xbox live account, not the physical console.
mboojigga likes this.
post #22096 of 22110 Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Yes. You can confirm by going to xbox.com, navigate to the game, and you should see the price tag indicated that you own it. Did you get the Master Chief collection?
post #22097 of 22110 Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Madden 18 add HDR Support with the latest patch.
General
  • HDR support
  • General stability updates fixing various crashes and softlocks
  • Fixed issue with the Steelers’ crowd “Terrible Towels” appearing black or grey
  • Online Head-to-Head quarter length changed from four minutes to five minutes
  • Fixed an issue around MUT Squads players receiving the incorrect rewards when teammates leave the session early
  • Improved a small framerate drop when the ball is snapped on PS4
  • Tuned scaling of the football to be slightly smaller
  • Fixed an issue where points were purchasable in trial
  • Fixed button functionality to correct X button notfunctioning on PS4 when attempting to load a Madden Profile

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2017/patches
post #22098 of 22110 Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When did MS drop the ability to snap screen apps? Last year I was able to watch my TV, and have the NFL app up on the screen also so I could monitor my fantasy football teams. Doesn't seem possible this year, what a shame........

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Bose Soundtouch 130 soundbar || Synology DS716+ NAS || XBOX One ||

Xbox Live : BoDEAN

Last edited by bodean; 09-10-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #22099 of 22110 Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
When did MS drop the ability to snap screen apps? Last year I was able to watch my TV, and have the NFL app up on the screen also so I could monitor my fantasy football teams. Doesn't seem possible this year, what a shame........
That was implemented in one of the last few updates...all in the interest of speed. Apparently the feature was eating up too much resources to allow for the speed of the new dash. Too bad they couldn't allow us to tailor how we want our experience...
Especially for those that chose the "center of your living room"/entertainment version of the XBO that we were promised at the outset....
joe221 and onlysublime like this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #22100 of 22110 Old 09-10-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

yeah, removing it just in time for football season... -_-
post #22101 of 22110 Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
That was implemented in one of the last few updates...all in the interest of speed. Apparently the feature was eating up too much resources to allow for the speed of the new dash. Too bad they couldn't allow us to tailor how we want our experience...
Especially for those that chose the "center of your living room"/entertainment version of the XBO that we were promised at the outset....

That's seriously a bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Bose Soundtouch 130 soundbar || Synology DS716+ NAS || XBOX One ||

Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #22102 of 22110 Old 09-11-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Anyone know if the elite controller is less prone to drop outs than a stock controller?

I like to lay on my couch while playing, but sometimes if I bring my knees up, it is like my legs block the signal. Never had this problem with the 360. So was wondering if folks had better luck with the elite controller.

Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
post #22103 of 22110 Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
The quick answer is yes. I have the Xbox One S, and connected it to a new pre-pro that I bought (Onkyo RZ-5100), but still have my 'old' Pioneer Elite Projector and the 1st thing I did was pop in a 4K disc to make sure it worked (and it did).

I had already started collecting 4K discs in anticipation for a future upgrade, especially with movies I would likely re watch, and thus already have a small collection. It may be placebo effect, but I truly felt that the 'downgrade' to 1080p was actually better looking than the 1080 disc, and I think that it might have something to do with HDR as it may alter the color gamete, even with a non HDR projector.

The other 'issue' is that the Atmos sound tract is only on the 4K disc (on several, if not all of the movies I have) and not on the Blu ray disc (which is weird) and thus if you want the Atmos tract you have no choice but to use the 4K disc.

I do not have the Atmos speakers yet (they are on their way), and I will be adding 4 wall mounted down firing monitors (like the SVS 'Atmos' speakers but I am using Philharmonitor Mini's instead), but already I find the Atmos tracts (and DTS X) more enveloping on a 7.2 setup than the DTS MA or DD HD tracts. Can't wait for the new speakers to come.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #22104 of 22110 Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6181 Post(s)
Liked: 3839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Anyone know if the elite controller is less prone to drop outs than a stock controller?

I like to lay on my couch while playing, but sometimes if I bring my knees up, it is like my legs block the signal. Never had this problem with the 360. So was wondering if folks had better luck with the elite controller.

Thanks.
I've never even had that issue with my two XB1 fat systems or two XB1S systems. Four controllers with the Fat and two with the S.. While the range has not been as far as I had with the 360, which would reach to the other end of my condo. I can still get half way to the other end of my condo before the signal falls off with the XB1. Which is still over 15 feet away. Anywhere within that distance and the controllers have had a rock solid signal.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #22105 of 22110 Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Like many, I have ordered the Xbox One X, and look forward to the upgrade. I plan on using this Xbox on a 'gaming' monitor (27-32"), and thus I am curious to see what people will be using. I have been 'researching' what to get, and it seems that there is no monitor out there that is 'true' 4K, HDR, free sync, G-sync (though I may just need free sync). Thus I will have to sacrifice something. On the PC side, it seems that people prefer HDR over 4K, but I think that I want both.

It seems that it will be 2018 before we get a fully compatible monitor, so I might just have to wait. I am curious what people are going to get if they do not already have a gaming monitor. MS should have made sure that there was a display device to fully support the Xbox One X at launch.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #22106 of 22110 Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
Like many, I have ordered the Xbox One X, and look forward to the upgrade. I plan on using this Xbox on a 'gaming' monitor (27-32"), and thus I am curious to see what people will be using. I have been 'researching' what to get, and it seems that there is no monitor out there that is 'true' 4K, HDR, free sync, G-sync (though I may just need free sync). Thus I will have to sacrifice something. On the PC side, it seems that people prefer HDR over 4K, but I think that I want both.

It seems that it will be 2018 before we get a fully compatible monitor, so I might just have to wait. I am curious what people are going to get if they do not already have a gaming monitor. MS should have made sure that there was a display device to fully support the Xbox One X at launch.
Hey Deveng,

Great topic.

My Scorpio will be the centerpiece of my home theater. I invested in a Sony 940e (75", 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision) and Dolby Atmos Speakers and AVR.

I hear what you're saying; in an ideal world, I would wait to buy a monster TV that supported HDMI 2.1 and Freesynch; but those TV's won't hit the market until 2018.

I have been waiting to game in 4k/HDR for a loooong time. I will wait and see how TV's or Monitors with Freesynch improve the experience prior to upgrading my TV. But for me, this is an easy decision, I will have scorpio day 1 and I am ready for Nov 7th and cannot wait to fire up Forza 7.

Curious to see what others will do as well.

Freddie
post #22107 of 22110 Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6181 Post(s)
Liked: 3839
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

I will be using the XB1X with my 2015 SOny 850C 65" UHD TV. Along with a small Atmos system. It works well with my XB1S and PS4 Pro. So I would expect similar results with the XB1X.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #22108 of 22110 Old 09-15-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Digital Foundry outlines how Microsoft plans to save hard drive space.

aaronwt and rightintel like this.
post #22109 of 22110 Old 09-16-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New resources coming for UWP games with the upcoming Fall Update.

Since the advent of consoles, developers have asked for ways to create games for one platform that you could run anywhere. With the release of the Expanded Resources feature in the Windows Fall Creators Update, we are taking the industry closer to that goal than it has ever been before. Now, developers will automatically have access to 6 exclusive cores, 5 GB of ram and full access to the GPU!

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...ptMAWXIA95d.97
post #22110 of 22110 Old Today, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
New resources coming for UWP games with the upcoming Fall Update.

Since the advent of consoles, developers have asked for ways to create games for one platform that you could run anywhere. With the release of the Expanded Resources feature in the Windows Fall Creators Update, we are taking the industry closer to that goal than it has ever been before. Now, developers will automatically have access to 6 exclusive cores, 5 GB of ram and full access to the GPU!

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...ptMAWXIA95d.97
I wish they'd also work on improving app access for other areas of the console, like switching the display to 24p for Netflix/Amazon/VLC/MediaPlayer/etc. or allowing apps the ability to bitstream audio.

Also would like them to focus on fixing their own apps and the dashboard to properly load RGB assets. I wrote a detailed post about the issues on reddit
https://redd.it/6yslm3

Update the Media Player app to support 24p, bitstream HD audio, more video codec support, MKV chapter, audio and subtitle selection, etc. The Media Player app is interesting because the Windows 10 Media Player app supports the bistream HD audio, and wider video codec support, so why doesn't the xbox one?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page