Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #271 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I set up the PDP mount today and my Kinect 2.0 does function better (versus being below).

I went through the Kinect procedure again (adjusted the floor setting, audio calibration) and every aspect seems to be improved.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I had bought the PDP mount for my LCD TV and my second XBOne since the one I ordered off eBay was delayed(the same type of mount mount I am using on my DLP set with my first XBOne). Surprisingly the PDP mount felt flimsy compared to the other one. On my LCD I could not get the support level. In one position it would be angled up and the next position it would be angled down. Plus it seemed so light too. When the mount showed up from ebay I installed that and was easily able to get Kinect level and I didn't feel like the mount was going to fall off or fall apart. So I returned the PDP mount to BestBuy. I was glad at least that I was able to try the PDP mount. I got lucky and got the last one that BestBuy had in the entire area. If it had worked out better I would have kept it.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #273 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was honestly expecting to return the PDP mount but it ended up being sturdy on my panel.

I can move my panel back and forth a couple inches by hand and the Kinect does not move at all.

I set the mount itself to tilt back just a bit and then aimed the Kinect accordingly.

I agree it feels cheap, I would prefer the type that bolts to the vesa mounting locations, but it does work.

Jason
post #274 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have the one from BB and when I first installed it on my 65" Panasonic and it seemed that the back "leg" was not sticking to the set well. But it has not moved a bit in the weeks its been up. Very satisfied with my $20 purchase.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #275 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Managed to snag the PDP mount from GS yesterday, MAN these things are hard to come by in Vegas:eek:

Overall, I really like this mount. It's super sturdy. It's perched atop my 70inch and I think the voice commands are better.

By the way, why does the kinect respond well with me but my wife and kids have problems with it? Have any of you noticed this? They are speaking the same volume as me. I'm thinking it responds better to deeper voices but that is junk. I want everyone to enjoy throwing out voice commands
post #276 of 366 Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 573
yeah, to be honest, I think the mics on the original Kinect work better than the new ones on the new Kinect. I could practically whisper and the original Kinect would pick it up. and the commands worked better in the 360 apps. not at the system level but at the app level.

it's as if they started from scratch. even something as simple as netfix worked better with Kinect on the 360. And I hate how Netflix removed the Kinect hand gestures from the app on both the 360 and the One. they made up for it with the d-pad on the 360 version (didn't check if the One version has the same feature) which provides an even better version (so you can drop in on the precise scene location).

of course, at the system level, the One wins hands down as the 360 commands were limited and often sequential (almost equivalent to sequential navigation with a game controller).

maybe it's the location of my new kinect as I don't have a mount for it (it's below the TV now) and somewhat near the speakers. The 360 Kinect is above the TV with the official PDP mount. But even when the 360 Kinect was placed on the table, it performed better than the new Kinect.
post #277 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

Managed to snag the PDP mount from GS yesterday, MAN these things are hard to come by in Vegas:eek:

Overall, I really like this mount. It's super sturdy. It's perched atop my 70inch and I think the voice commands are better.

By the way, why does the kinect respond well with me but my wife and kids have problems with it? Have any of you noticed this? They are speaking the same volume as me. I'm thinking it responds better to deeper voices but that is junk. I want everyone to enjoy throwing out voice commands
I have the same thing going on. It responds really well to me and my 10yo daughter, but is almost unresponsive to my wife. Not sure why. I'm still noticing fairly inconsistent Kinect login performance. I've done the "I wasn't recognized" thing at least 3 dozen times and it's still hit or miss. I will probably get one of the TV mounts discussed here to see if that helps.

Unrelated, my wife downloaded Just Dance last night. Definitely not something I would do on my own, but the whole family of four dancing to "Ghostbusters" (my son insisted on being Slimer) was ridiculously fun. I'm pleased because this kind of whole family entertainment is what I wanted from the new console. The Xbox in the past was a me only thing, played after the kids went to bed. We're getting much more use out of the XB1.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
post #278 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Do your wives/kids speak to it in a normal voice or like a robot? I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to just talk to in a normal speaking voice, but when she does it seems to work fine.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #279 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1_8 View Post

This is the same problem I am having. I was beginning to suspect the sensor placement as the issue. I may have to pick up a mount and check it out. My concern is how well it will work with a wall mounted TV...

I think that may be tight. I just went and measured mine for you. From the front edge of the mount to the back edge of the mount is about four inches. Then you need around another half inch of space for the cable to fit in. So figure 4.5 inches from the front of the TV bezel to the wall would do it.

Mine is on a stand with a pedestal mount so I don't have that issue.
post #280 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a samsung 55 " f7100 which has an absolute minimal bezel, and panel is ultra thin, will the pdp mount work with this tv ? I worry from seeing design that it may put pressure on the top front of the panel which may cause clouding, anyone have thoughts on this ? Thanks

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #281 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Do your wives/kids speak to it in a normal voice or like a robot? I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to just talk to in a normal speaking voice, but when she does it seems to work fine.

Normal voice works fine for my family. The Kinect sits ~6inches below my panel.
post #282 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

I think that may be tight. I just went and measured mine for you. From the front edge of the mount to the back edge of the mount is about four inches. Then you need around another half inch of space for the cable to fit in. So figure 4.5 inches from the front of the TV bezel to the wall would do it.

Mine is on a stand with a pedestal mount so I don't have that issue.
Thanks for the feedback. That may be an issue for me. Maybe I'll look into a wall mount...

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
post #283 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1_8 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. That may be an issue for me. Maybe I'll look into a wall mount...
If you don't mind taking your tv down off the wall to attach this to the back, this is a great solution: screen deck

I have a (very poorly taken) picture of mine on the previous page of this thread.

post #284 of 366 Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

I have a samsung 55 " f7100 which has an absolute minimal bezel, and panel is ultra thin, will the pdp mount work with this tv ? I worry from seeing design that it may put pressure on the top front of the panel which may cause clouding, anyone have thoughts on this ? Thanks

The LIP that hangs over the front is ~ .5 inch so if the actual viewable area of the screen is more than that you should be ok.

Jason
post #285 of 366 Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 769
The PDP Kinect TV Mount - Xbox One is finally back in stock at Amazon for $19.99.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #286 of 366 Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The PDP Kinect TV Mount - Xbox One is finally back in stock at Amazon for $19.99.

I still can't get over how cheap the PDP feels. It felt like I would break the one I tried.

LED DLP
post #287 of 366 Old 01-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 10
Placement of the kinect sensor made a huge difference for me. Originally I had it about 4 ft above the ground but below my Plasma TV and my center speaker. The kinect instructions state that the optimal distance for the kinect is 2-6ft above the ground. I thought I was good at 4ft. After going through the set up process multiple times I still had to yell at the kinect for it to hear me. I finally broke down and put it above my tv using the pdp mount. The kinect is now about 7 1/2 feet above the ground. I can now talk to the kinect in a normal speaking voice from my sitting position 9ft away and it hears me fine. Even though it is higher than the recommended range it works great. Part of the problem was probably that it was so close to the center speaker in the first set up, but even when nothing was playing it still couldn't hear me without shouting. Now it works great!

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
post #288 of 366 Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I currently have the XB1 Kinect sitting just below my television on the top of an A/V stand, about 2.5' above the floor, where the center channel used to be (I've sat the CC on the floor temporarily). It works fine there, the problem being that I use this television as the monitor for this PC, sitting with a laptop cart in front of me with a wireless keyboard and mouse (and sundry odds and ends) on it. When the cart is in front of me it blocks the Kinect from seeing my face and hands, so I have to move my laptop cart to the side; it would be nice if didn't have to, so I'm looking forward to mounting it on top of the television and getting my center channel up off the floor. My 360 Kinect is mounted there now, but I can move it off to one side since I only use it for voice commands at this point.

post #289 of 366 Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I still can't get over how cheap the PDP feels. It felt like I would break the one I tried.

Got it yesterday and you're right--it does feel pretty chintzy. However, my 360 Kinect mount is a PDP one of similar construction and it's been sitting on top of my television since June 2011 without a problem. I just moved it to one side since I only use that Kinect for vocal commands; I suppose that if I ever wanted to play Fruit Ninja Kinect or something that I could easily take one step to the right biggrin.gif.

post #290 of 366 Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've got a Panasonic 55VT60 plasma and would like to mount the Kinect above it. The display is on a Sanus mount arm. The PDP mount looks like it'd end up blocking the chome bezel of the VT60, enough to be annoying. That and to make matters more interesting, the VT60 has a pop-up webcam of it's own along the top center. I'd have to mount the Kinect just slightly off-center to avoid that (not that I'd ever expect to actually use it though...)

So I'm wondering, does anyone make a mount that would lend itself to being attached to the back of the display via the VESA bolts?

Has anyone modded the PDP to accomplish that?

Or is there some other solution I should consider for mounting it? Does anyone else make a bracket suitable for this?
post #291 of 366 Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I've got a Panasonic 55VT60 plasma and would like to mount the Kinect above it. The display is on a Sanus mount arm. The PDP mount looks like it'd end up blocking the chome bezel of the VT60, enough to be annoying. That and to make matters more interesting, the VT60 has a pop-up webcam of it's own along the top center. I'd have to mount the Kinect just slightly off-center to avoid that (not that I'd ever expect to actually use it though...)

So I'm wondering, does anyone make a mount that would lend itself to being attached to the back of the display via the VESA bolts?

Has anyone modded the PDP to accomplish that?

Or is there some other solution I should consider for mounting it? Does anyone else make a bracket suitable for this?
see my post 4 or 5 back about the screen shelf.

post #292 of 366 Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Are there any big Kinect games coming soon ? I don't understand why Microsoft puts one in every single box, and then doesn't provide any software at all to make somebody want to use it. You'd think they would have a big time Kinect game for launch to really show off why Kinect is a must have accessory. What is on the horizon ?
post #293 of 366 Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Are there any big Kinect games coming soon ? I don't understand why Microsoft puts one in every single box, and then doesn't provide any software at all to make somebody want to use it. You'd think they would have a big time Kinect game for launch to really show off why Kinect is a must have accessory. What is on the horizon ?

Yeah I am totally puzzled with this. Kinect sports should have been available on day one. I guess they are having troubles with it. There is absolutely nothing compelling for the kinect right now and thats just sad because any time we have company over, it makes a great pass time. Still using the kinect on the 360 for now...of course the new kinect won't reach my tv anyways.
post #294 of 366 Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

did you guys see this? the guy made it in 48 hours for a competition and won!

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/30/your-body-is-a-wonderland-in-kinect-platformer-fru/

Fru is two platformers in one game, with one layer of the world shown clearly on the screen, and another layer uncovered within the silhouette of a player's body as it moves in front of the Kinect camera, in real-time. The silhouette world offers new platforms, enabling players to reach the exit door in each level (with a little hopping, ducking and contortion).

Fru comes from a collection of indies during Global Game Jam 2014, which prompted developers to create games with the theme "We don't see things as they are, but as we are." The team had 48 hours to create the game, and Fru ended up winning the judge and audience awards in the NHTV Breda Global Game Jam competition. If you have a Kinect hooked up to your PC, you can download Fru right here.

Game Designer Mattia Traverso – who is also working on the crowdfunded documentary game, Riot – tells Joystiq that he hopes Microsoft notices Fru so the team can expand on the idea.

"We definitely have plans to bring this to the next level," Traverso says. "We are starting to work on it to make it an actual, full game and I am contacting Microsoft right now to see what we can do .... Right now we are trying to give it some visibility, to show the big M that this project is actually something interesting that people like."
post #295 of 366 Old 02-02-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

so Kinect Sports Rivals is coming in the spring (repeating what was said earlier)...

post #296 of 366 Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/30/your-body-is-a-wonderland-in-kinect-platformer-fru/

Fru is two platformers in one game, with one layer of the world shown clearly on the screen, and another layer uncovered within the silhouette of a player's body as it moves in front of the Kinect camera, in real-time. The silhouette world offers new platforms, enabling players to reach the exit door in each level (with a little hopping, ducking and contortion).

Fru comes from a collection of indies during Global Game Jam 2014, which prompted developers to create games with the theme "We don't see things as they are, but as we are." The team had 48 hours to create the game, and Fru ended up winning the judge and audience awards in the NHTV Breda Global Game Jam competition. If you have a Kinect hooked up to your PC, you can download Fru right here.

Game Designer Mattia Traverso – who is also working on the crowdfunded documentary game, Riot – tells Joystiq that he hopes Microsoft notices Fru so the team can expand on the idea.

"We definitely have plans to bring this to the next level," Traverso says. "We are starting to work on it to make it an actual, full game and I am contacting Microsoft right now to see what we can do .... Right now we are trying to give it some visibility, to show the big M that this project is actually something interesting that people like."

Wow. That's teally cool. It's stuff like this that has me really excited for kinect. Great idea and they made it in 24 hours! Imagine what a great dev team with 1-2 years will be able to pump out.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #297 of 366 Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well that certainly looks different.

LED DLP
post #298 of 366 Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

so Kinect Sports Rivals is coming in the spring (repeating what was said earlier)...

If we're lucky maybe it will come out before Spring since TF comes out around 1.5 weeks before Spring. But I think they would have a big advertising push for Kinect Sports Rivals so they might want to have some distance between it and TF. I certainly hope it doesn't come out as late as June.

LED DLP
post #299 of 366 Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Kinect Sports as a series is a staple for me, alongside Gears of War, Halo, and Call of Duty. I can't wait!

But until then, maybe AVS can represent in the wake racing championship! It'd be cool to win our own unique Sea-Doo...
post #300 of 366 Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Liked: 12
Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms, but I can't seem to find any info on having the Kinect control my AVR past on/off. Is there any way to have it switch inputs when I turn the console on?
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page