The Official Kinect Thread for Xbox One - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #391 of 412 Old 06-27-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Q, a puzzle game for Kinect has been released for $5.99.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-On...DetailsSection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 412 Old 07-11-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just throwing this in here, in case it happens to someone else:

My Kinect stopped working for a bit- but oddly I could say "Xbox on" when the system was sleeping, and it would turn on the box as well as IR-blast the TV and receiver. But the light and infrared would not illuminate, and once the system was up and running, no voice commands would work. Going into settings it said that the Kinect was connected, but only showed a black screen for "What Kinect sees". Just unplugging and re-plugging the Kinect itself didn't do anything.

After searching around, came across this Xbox help site: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...f0c893988550c2

I had to reset the Kinect sensor's connection [involved unplugging the power supply as well] and upon reboot: no problems since.
tampabuc likes this.

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
post #393 of 412 Old 10-26-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone one run into issues setting up a AVR or Pre-amp to be controlled by the Xbox One Kinect?

I just got a kinect this weekend.
It recognizes my samsung tv, but my older Onkyo PR-SC885 pre-amp it for some reason cannot control.

It lets me search for the unit by model number, but does not allow me to test it.

I tried searching for the remote control with no luck as well. The model number on the remote shows RC-690M.

Any trouble shooting guides?

Would love to be able to have the Xbox Kinect turn everything on and off.

Thanks
post #394 of 412 Old 12-04-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
If you thought of using your Xbox One Kinect for Windows Hello to sign in on the PC, soon it'll be here:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/u...-windows-hello

Use your Xbox One Kinect to sign in with Windows Hello

As of today that appears to be changing and it is not because a third party camera peripheral manufacturer has finally produced a USB based Windows Hello camera for the masses.

This new solution will use the Xbox One Kinect ($99), a special cable to connect it to a Windows 10 based device ($50) and beta drivers from the Kinect for Windows developer program.

If you already have an Xbox One console with Kinect you can use that device as it is compatible with Windows 10 but you do need the Kinect Adapter for Windows cable ($50) to make the required device connection.

Once you have those two elements then a registry edit is needed to enable your system to opt into driver flighting for Kinect on Windows. Registry editing is risky so back things up before you follow these steps from Microsoft.

The first step is to opt-in to driver flighting.

You can follow the instructions here to set up your registry by hand, or you can use the following text to create a .reg file to right-click and import the settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DriverFlight ing\Partner]
"TargetRing"="Drivers"

Next, you can use Device Manager to update to the preview version of the Kinect driver and runtime:
  • Open Device Manager (Windows key + x, then m).
  • Expand “Kinect sensor devices”.
  • Right-click on "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0".
  • Click "Update Driver Software..."
  • Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
  • Allow it to download and install the new driver.
  • Reboot.
Once your system is finished restarting you can use this guide (http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...ion-demo-video) for setting up Windows Hello.

Caveat: The Kinect must be plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port because the device needs that bandwidth to transfer the data effectively and work properly.

Let us know how this process works for you.

Thanks to Simon Bisson (@sbisson) for the tip.
post #395 of 412 Old 12-04-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Only around $50-60 for a Kinect on eBay too. Even with the $50 cable, it would end up being cheaper than the Intel option. I assume (since I don't have the cable) it'd be a pretty good mic for Cortana on the PC as well.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 12-04-2015 at 03:56 PM.
post #396 of 412 Old 12-10-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Official blog post for using Kinect V2 with Windows Hello in Windows 10:

To take advantage of Kinect for Windows Hello, you either need a Kinect for Windows device or an Xbox One Kinect. If you have Xbox One version, you need to purchase a cable so it can be connected to a PC (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.308803600). This additional cable costs $49.99. The Kinect for Windows version is a Kinect with the PC cable included.

https://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun...-the-Kinect-v2

Kinect developer preview for Windows 10!

We are happy to announce our public preview of Kinect support for Windows 10.

This preview adds support for using Kinect with the built-in Windows.Devices.Perception APIs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...erception.aspx), and it also provides beta support for using Kinect with Windows Hello (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-what-is-hello).

Getting started is easy. First, make sure you already have a working Kinect for Windows V2 attached to your Windows 10 PC. The Kinect Configuration Verifier (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=513889) can make sure everything is functioning okay. Also, make sure your Kinect has a good view of your face - we recommend centering it as close to the top or bottom of your monitor as possible, and at least 0.5 meters from your face.

Then follow these steps to install the Kinect developer preview for Windows 10:

1. The first step is to opt-in to driver flighting.
You can follow the instructions here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx) to set up your registry by hand, or you can use the following text to create a .reg file to right-click and import the settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DriverFlight ing\Partner]
"TargetRing"="Drivers"

2. Next, you can use Device Manager to update to the preview version of the Kinect driver and runtime:
1. Open Device Manager (Windows key + x, then m).
2. Expand “Kinect sensor devices”.
3. Right-click on "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0".
4. Click "Update Driver Software..."
5. Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
6. Allow it to download and install the new driver.
7. Reboot.

Once you have the preview version of the Kinect for Windows V2 driver (version 2.1.1511.11000 or higher), you can start developing sensor apps for Windows 10 using Visual Studio 2015 with Windows developer tools (http://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads).

You can also set up Windows Hello to log in using your Kinect:

1. Go to “Settings->Accounts->Sign-in options”.
2. Add a PIN if you haven’t already.
3. In the Windows Hello section, click “Set up” and follow the instructions to enable Windows Hello!

That’s it! You can send us your feedback at k4w@microsoft.com.

All the info, in lots more languages!

Many of you have probably already noticed that our Kinect for Windows developer webpage has a new home under the Windows Dev Center (http://dev.windows.com/en-us/kinect). This is where you can go to learn about the features of the v2 sensor and the free Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0, and to get information about building Kinect-enabled Windows apps.

We will also continue to showcase solutions from our MVPs and partners on the blog. In fact, we would love to feature more of the innovative work being done by our partner community. So partners, let’s hear from you: send us an email (k4wblog@microsoft.com) about your solution.

The most exciting thing about this transition to the Windows Dev Center is all of our content will now be localized into 23 different languages!

>>Read the full blogpost here: http://aka.ms/k4wblog or http://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kinectforwindows/

Featured App: nsquared media viewer

One of our MVPs and partners, N Squared Solutions, recently published a new app to the Windows store and it has been a hit! This digital signage application is a great way to make a statement at any visible location, whether it be a building lobby or corporate event.

“Unlike existing technology, nsquared media viewer is intelligently reactive to the presence of people which means a greater potential to captivate passers-by, getting them pay attention to your content and get your brand noticed.”

For more detail check out their full blogpost: http://nsquaredblog.blogspot.com/201...ia-viewer.html

>> Download a free demo here: http://aka.ms/nsquaredmediaviewer
post #397 of 412 Old 12-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the windows adapter in an effort to extend my Kinect cable length but when I hook it up I have no IR control of my components via the Kinect. Any solution or do the IR commands just not work through the extension?
post #398 of 412 Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Released a few days ago: Beatsplosion for Kinect.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #399 of 412 Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

if you're at all a Kinect fan, you have to get FRU. Looks like a nice upgrade over the 360 alpha.

And for those that never played the 360 version, there's a new remastered version for the One. It definitely looks and runs better, but it was never a complicated game:

post #400 of 412 Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does anyone know if the next dashboard update is going to force Cortana on everyone? And if so is there a projected timeframe for roll-out?

I ask because I have a kinect that I haven't hooked up yet, but if the command set is about to change I'll just wait. I don't want to start getting used to it and then have to change right away. And I especially don't want my wife to get used to one way of controlling it and then have that change. It's been hard enough getting her used to using the Harmony.

TIA
post #401 of 412 Old 07-07-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

there's no reason to wait. The official rollout for the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 is August 2 (Xbox should be roughly the same time even though preview builds are out). But the commands are practically the same.

So instead of "Xbox, On", you say "Hey, Cortana" wait for the Kinect to turn on. Then say "Xbox, On".

Or a command like "Xbox, take a screenshot" you would now say "Hey, Cortana, take a screenshot".

Or a command like "Xbox, go to Netflix" you would now say "Hey, Cortana, go to Netflix." Cortana is somewhat more flexible (and they promised more flexibility in the future). For example, the Xbox commands were fairly rigid. For example, you can't say "Xbox, load Netflix" or "Xbox, run Netflix". But Cortana should allow multiple ways to launch Netflix.

Then again, the rigidity is what allowed the Xbox commands (and Echo) to be fast. Cortana is hella slow. I never had the "Xbox, record that" command take any time. But "Hey, Cortana, record that" is an adventure.
post #402 of 412 Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
August 2nd isn't that far away.
post #403 of 412 Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Don't take this as gospel but from what I understand you can go back to using "Xbox...." commands if you don't like Cortana which I just might do. I do like the added flexibility with Cortana (Other day I said "Hey Cortana what time is it" and it gave me the time)

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #404 of 412 Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I got the update, the "Xbox..." commands all worked, just as fast and cleanly as they ever did, except for "Xbox turn off" (I don't use "Xbox on"). I enabled Cortana to check it out and have never liked it (it's slower and you have to say a four syllable wake-word "Hey-Cor-tan-a"versus the 2 syllable "ex-box"), but when I disabled it I didn't get the "Xbox.." commands back. I'm not amused but there's nothing to do about it.

post #405 of 412 Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

the only time I like Cortana on the Xbox is with the command to turn on the Xbox. Before Cortana, turning on the Xbox was somewhat of an unpredictable adventure.

Now, you say "Hey Cortana" to wake up the Kinect. And then "Xbox, On" becomes really reliable.

Otherwise, I don't like Cortana. I do think they have compensated for the slowness of Cortana with the recording and screenshot feature. So the recording traditionally has been the last 30 seconds from the time you say "Xbox, record that." Now with saying, "Hey, Cortana, record that" you see it take its sweet time to figure out what to do. But then the recording is pretty close to the right time. So what I think is happening is they're no longer recording the last 30 seconds but anticipating how long Cortana will take and actually recording an earlier 30 second window.
post #406 of 412 Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4089 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
there's no reason to wait. The official rollout for the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 is August 2 (Xbox should be roughly the same time even though preview builds are out). But the commands are practically the same.

So instead of "Xbox, On", you say "Hey, Cortana" wait for the Kinect to turn on. Then say "Xbox, On".

Or a command like "Xbox, take a screenshot" you would now say "Hey, Cortana, take a screenshot".

Or a command like "Xbox, go to Netflix" you would now say "Hey, Cortana, go to Netflix." Cortana is somewhat more flexible (and they promised more flexibility in the future). For example, the Xbox commands were fairly rigid. For example, you can't say "Xbox, load Netflix" or "Xbox, run Netflix". But Cortana should allow multiple ways to launch Netflix.

Then again, the rigidity is what allowed the Xbox commands (and Echo) to be fast. Cortana is hella slow. I never had the "Xbox, record that" command take any time. But "Hey, Cortana, record that" is an adventure.
It seems like Cortana is much worse now for me. i can't count the number of times that the stupid browser pops up with a search instead of launching what I used to be able to do when I just said "Xbox...".
It seems like in the past week Cortana has pretty much taken a dump or ten. it seems much worse than when I first tried it.

Then i ran into issues with the BD player with the new system. It wouldn't work. So I did send in an issue ticket. And a few days later an update came and the BD player issue was fixed. But now it has an issue playing 3D BDs. So I sent in another ticket about it last night. So hopefully they get those issues fixed before they update everyone.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #407 of 412 Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
the only time I like Cortana on the Xbox is with the command to turn on the Xbox. Before Cortana, turning on the Xbox was somewhat of an unpredictable adventure.

Now, you say "Hey Cortana" to wake up the Kinect. And then "Xbox, On" becomes really reliable.

Otherwise, I don't like Cortana. I do think they have compensated for the slowness of Cortana with the recording and screenshot feature. So the recording traditionally has been the last 30 seconds from the time you say "Xbox, record that." Now with saying, "Hey, Cortana, record that" you see it take its sweet time to figure out what to do. But then the recording is pretty close to the right time. So what I think is happening is they're no longer recording the last 30 seconds but anticipating how long Cortana will take and actually recording an earlier 30 second window.
I see there is an option to change the recording time to make it shorter or longer.

Or has that option always been there? I didn't recall seeing it there before.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-12-2016 at 01:21 PM.
post #408 of 412 Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

There was always the option to record up to 5 minutes.

I don't know what the latest settings are. I heard they let you record to 15 or 30 minutes now? they don't really matter to me because I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to record gameplay. but the 30 seconds is super useful because it's short and sweet and doesn't clutter my Youtube channel.
post #409 of 412 Old 07-12-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to record gameplay...

Just curious--why is that superior?

I never record anything, but Ryse did it automatically and frequently. I don't know what triggered it, but I had a big pile of them (probably still there).

post #410 of 412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

a lot of reasons. recording yourself, you can control the quality. the bitrate that Microsoft set is okay for spur-of-the-moment mindset. like smartphone pics. a lot of people don't care about quality. they just want a moment shot. The best is how videos I recorded in 720p60 for the Xbox 360. At the time I recorded, Youtube didn't support 60 fps playback. But now, Youtube does and the video plays back in 60 fps even though I uploaded it before they supported the feature! To be fair, it's kind of cheating because some of these games didn't run this smooth but the recorder made it look buttery smooth.

when you set the Xbox to record for longer than the 30 seconds (this is only my recollection from trying it out in the beginning; no clue how the features have evolved over time), you couldn't run full screen. You had to run the Game DVR snapped. Gaming in a window sucks.

recording myself, I can control all the game chats. This was especially important back then because you couldn't embed the chat with the game audio like you could with the 360. Now things have changed on that aspect. But now it's much easier for my own chat to be in the game.

recording myself, I can use a lot of good software like Adobe Premiere Pro which allows me to do better edits as well as overlay music or mask out things.

I still use the Xbox recording features a lot for those moment situations. But when I want to record game experiences with my friends and have our chat in there, I always use my own recorder.
post #411 of 412 Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

FRU is out and getting great reviews: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-On...1-6a932c631232
aaronwt likes this.
post #412 of 412 Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
There was always the option to record up to 5 minutes.

I don't know what the latest settings are. I heard they let you record to 15 or 30 minutes now? they don't really matter to me because I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to record gameplay. but the 30 seconds is super useful because it's short and sweet and doesn't clutter my Youtube channel.
I don't remember all of the options but there was a 20 second option and a 45 second option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page