AVS Forum banner

Forza 5 10 years in the making

33K views 748 replies 84 participants last post by  Smigro 
#1 ·
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making#post_23425682

Didn't Dan state in an interview they have something in place of what used to be the auction house? I will have to find the interview. It may have been on one of the GT or Xbox E3 Day 1 On Demand.

I can't see how anyone can just say it has been rushed because they took features out. Especially if they put something in place of previous features.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can say after everything that's been announced that it hasn't been rushed. Seriously, those back of the box bullet points you posted earlier in the thread are about some of the weakest marketing-speak drivel ever. They all elicit a big "meh". Greenawalt stood up on that stage and spouted out all that stuff, and the Forza community just shrugged. If he would've just said- Night time. Weather. Porsche. Fanatec. 2014. - he could've dropped the mic and walked off that stage a hero. But MS decided you're our studio, and we gotta launch window so that ain't happenin'.

"Living busy worlds.Racing comes alive with fans crowding the walls, helicopters circling overhead and the vibrant hum and spectacle of race day."

Spare me.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making#post_23425793

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can say after everything that's been announced that it hasn't been rushed. Seriously, those back of the box bullet points you posted earlier in the thread are about some of the weakest marketing-speak drivel ever. They all elicit a big "meh". Greenawalt stood up on that stage and spouted out all that stuff, and the Forza community just shrugged. If he would've just said- Night time. Weather. Porsche. Fanatec. 2014. - he could've dropped the mic and walked off that stage a hero. But MS decided you're our studio, and we gotta launch window so that ain't happenin'.

"Living busy worlds.Racing comes alive with fans crowding the walls, helicopters circling overhead and the vibrant hum and spectacle of race day."

Spare me.

So you know what all is going to be in this game? Because it hasn't launched yet and they have stated more information will come as they always do this. Personally don't care for night racing or rain. Still day one for myself. I was just simply stating about what I heard. Don't care to debate how anyones reaction to the game is. Again we don't know what is all in the full version. More info will come is what was stated. Not like it is being released tomorrow.

Look! I just want to drive my Mustang in Forza 5

Reactions: pennhunter
#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making#post_23425808

So you know what all is going to be in this game? Because it hasn't launched yet and they have stated more information will come as they always do this.
Every time they state more information, it turns out to be bad news. They should probably keep tight lipped until they have something good to announce.
Quote:
Personally don't care for night racing or rain.
But a lot of us do. I'm cool with it if you or anybody else doesn't, but it would have been nice to have the OPTION.
Quote:
Still day one for myself. I was just simply stating about what I heard
I'm not here to crap on the messenger, just the "message".
Quote:
Don't care to debate how anyones reaction to the game is. Again we don't know what is all in the full version. More info will come is what was stated. Not like it is being released tomorrow.
We don't know what's in the full version, but we sure know what ain't, and that's what so many of us find disappointing.
Quote:
Hey I wanna drive your Mustang too, but MS is making it hard for me to justify taking the plunge. And a lot of others feel the same, go look over on the Forza.net forums. Even with the draconian moderators shutting down threads and deleting dissenting posts left and right, the sense of disappointment is prevalent.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making#post_23425682

Didn't Dan state in an interview they have something in place of what used to be the auction house? I will have to find the interview. It may have been on one of the GT or Xbox E3 Day 1 On Demand.

I can't see how anyone can just say it has been rushed because they took features out. Especially if they put something in place of previous features.

Because most launch day games are rushed and the features they have taken out were fairly important. You're right in a way though and we need to wait to get a final or near final playable version before we pass ultimate judgement.

#31 ·
I don't care about night and weather, and I never used the auction house. This will be one of the first games I get on my day one Xbox One.

#32 ·
I could care less about the auction house but rain, night racing, increased car variety (IndyCar is a step in the right direction), increased track count, and increased field size are what I want to see. And since the thing has to be there anyways, excellent head tracking with Kinect would be nice since something should take advantage of that.

Forza already does everything else pretty well as simcades go. It just needs more of it rather than concentrating on useless features and adding in countless redundant vehicles. If you've driven one late model front wheel drive passenger sedan, modern supercar, and so on you've typically seen about all there is to see where that class is concerned.

It's the physics that are the most interesting facet for me, not the eye candy with the vehicle contours and such. Half the time I've forgotten what make and model I'm driving by the time I take the checkered.

So more physics uniqueness with distinct types of vehicles like the introduction of the latest IndyCar is what I want to see rather than having several hundred vehicles in some instances that largely drive alike with just minor nuances differentiating them.

#33 ·
Why even bother to waste all that time on the launch title on a new system? Sales are going to be limited. How many iterations of Forza were there on the 360? I figure you do a decent job on the first one, then you come out with a second one a year oror two later with improvements and many of the things that were missing on the previous version. Then you also have more consoles in the wild and more potential sales.

And you can also improve the first gen title by having DLC at some point after release.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23427682

I could care less about the auction house but rain, night racing, increased car variety (IndyCar is a step in the right direction), increased track count, and increased field size are what I want to see. And since the thing has to be there anyways, excellent head tracking with Kinect would be nice since something should take advantage of that.

Forza already does everything else pretty well as simcades go. It just needs more of it rather than concentrating on useless features and adding in countless redundant vehicles. If you've driven one late model front wheel drive passenger sedan, modern supercar, and so on you've typically seen about all there is to see where that class is concerned.

It's the physics that are the most interesting facet for me, not the eye candy with the vehicle contours and such. Half the time I've forgotten what make and model I'm driving by the time I take the checkered.

So more physics uniqueness with distinct types of vehicles like the introduction of the latest IndyCar is what I want to see rather than having several hundred vehicles in some instances that largely drive alike with just minor nuances differentiating them.

This and tracks. I would like to see more tracks as that adds variety.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making#post_23425808

So you know what all is going to be in this game? Because it hasn't launched yet and they have stated more information will come as they always do this. Personally don't care for night racing or rain. Still day one for myself. I was just simply stating about what I heard. Don't care to debate how anyones reaction to the game is. Again we don't know what is all in the full version. More info will come is what was stated. Not like it is being released tomorrow.

Just cover the screen with a black blanket and cut 2 holes in it for the lights. That gives you night racing. I never use rain, I am bad enough on the dry.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23428623

Why even bother to waste all that time on the launch title on a new system? Sales are going to be limited. How many iterations of Forza were there on the 360? I figure you do a decent job on the first one, then you come out with a second one a year oror two later with improvements and many of the things that were missing on the previous version. Then you also have more consoles in the wild and more potential sales.

Forza has been on a two year release schedule since the original and that tradition continues as the 5th release nears on now its third console generation.

And I think you'd find that they really aren't bringing significant additions to the series very often. Rather, they enhance and refine what has largely been there since day 1 with improved graphics, improved physics, improved AI, etc.

Weather for instance. Everyone gave it a pass on the original Xbox since it was their first time out the gate. Then we all gave it a pass with Forza 2 since there was new hardware to deal with and their first entry in the HD age. But it never did appear with Forza 3 or Forza 4.

I'm hard pressed to think of a really major addition to the franchise besides the addition of cockpits with Forza 3. So I really doubt that it's just a matter of waiting for Forza Motorsports 6 to get some of this stuff.

Rather, I predict they will continue with tradition. Forza 6 will arrive in about 28 months and be most everything that Forza 5 was with some enhancements, refinements, and some deletions and additions to the vehicle/track roster.

But nothing particularly new feature wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23429163

This and tracks. I would like to see more tracks as that adds variety.

More track variety was on my list.

It's something the Forza/GT formula dearly needs. Otherwise you're just going to get halfway through career mode and suddenly realize yet again that you haven't seen anything fresh in many hours as you're racing the same track and the very same layout that you've likely raced ten times already.

And it's not something easily rectified with DLC. For starters, clearly Turn 10 realizes that the best bang for their buck is with basic car packs (Despite these games already shipping with many hundreds of vehicles). With relatively little effort they have something to sell every month that people will lap up.

And even if they didn't, it's of little importance if these tracks aren't incorporated into career mode. Forza 2 for instance. I think I raced Road America perhaps twice and perhaps only tried out each layout of Motegi once.

Nobody had them in multiplayer it seemed and they weren't incorporated into career mode with additional events or seeded throughout career mode as replacements for other courses in order to add a bit more variety instead of racing Laguna Seca 30 times throughout the course of the game.

So DLC tracks aren't likely the solution even in the unlikely event Turn 10 returns to the concept. But it's track variety more than anything that keeps these games fresh. Every new course is a unique event unlike the vehicle roster where everything falls into about a half dozen physics types with just subtle differences differentiating them beyond their visual appearance.

So they need to concentrate more on a lot of tracks on day 1. All the pretty cars in the world don't mean anything if you're bored with the slate of tracks after just a few hours of time.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23429884

Forza has been on a two year release schedule since the original and that tradition continues as the 5th release nears on now its third console generation.

And I think you'd find that they really aren't bringing significant additions to the series very often. Rather, they enhance and refine what has largely been there since day 1 with improved graphics, improved physics, improved AI, etc.

Weather for instance. Everyone gave it a pass on the original Xbox since it was their first time out the gate. Then we all gave it a pass with Forza 2 since there was new hardware to deal with and their first entry in the HD age. But it never did appear with Forza 3 or Forza 4.

I'm hard pressed to think of a really major addition to the franchise besides the addition of cockpits with Forza 3. So I really doubt that it's just a matter of waiting for Forza Motorsports 6 to get some of this stuff.

Rather, I predict they will continue with tradition. Forza 6 will arrive in about 28 months and be most everything that Forza 5 was with some enhancements, refinements, and some deletions and additions to the vehicle/track roster.

But nothing particularly new feature wise.

More track variety was on my list.

It's something the Forza/GT formula dearly needs. Otherwise you're just going to get halfway through career mode and suddenly realize yet again that you haven't seen anything fresh in many hours as you're racing the same track and the very same layout that you've likely raced ten times already.

And it's not something easily rectified with DLC. For starters, clearly Turn 10 realizes that the best bang for their buck is with basic car packs (Despite these games already shipping with many hundreds of vehicles). With relatively little effort they have something to sell every month that people will lap up.

And even if they didn't, it's of little importance if these tracks aren't incorporated into career mode. Forza 2 for instance. I think I raced Road America perhaps twice and perhaps only tried out each layout of Motegi once.

Nobody had them in multiplayer it seemed and they weren't incorporated into career mode with additional events or seeded throughout career mode as replacements for other courses in order to add a bit more variety instead of racing Laguna Seca 30 times throughout the course of the game.

So DLC tracks aren't likely the solution even in the unlikely event Turn 10 returns to the concept. But it's track variety more than anything that keeps these games fresh. Every new course is a unique event unlike the vehicle roster where everything falls into about a half dozen physics types with just subtle differences differentiating them beyond their visual appearance.

So they need to concentrate more on a lot of tracks on day 1. All the pretty cars in the world don't mean anything if you're bored with the slate of tracks after just a few hours of time.

Wouldn't they be able to carry the tracks over from previous version of the game? It seems like they could add a few new tracks with every game at not a huge cost. Instead we get bigger versions of Autovista, which I am not sure I have even used. I guess it is cheaper to make though.

#38 ·
I got curious what has appeared and disappeared. So here's a list, ignoring variations, that I just compiled. They've done pretty well since FM2 in carrying things over but we always get a few subtractions. Might be some minor mistakes though. Particularly with the test tracks that have changed names and such. And I vaguely seem to remember Sunset completely changed between two different games but I can't swear that it did.

Tracks in bold are confirmed for FM5.

Alpine Ring (1)

Amalfi Coast (3, 4; Strangely in FM4, it's available in truncated form under the name Rally di Positano)

Benchmark High Speed Ring (3, 4; FM4 bonus for purchasing game new as I recall )

Bernese Alps (4)

Blue Mountains Raceway (1)

Camino Viejo de Montserrat (3, 4)

Catalunya (3, 4)

Fujimi Kaido (1 & in truncated form 3 & 4)

Hockenheimring (4)

Iberian (3, 4)
Indianapolis (4)

Infineon (4)

Ladera (3, 4)

LeMans (3, 4)

Maple Valley Raceway (1-4)
Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway (1-4)

Mugello (2, 3, 4)

New York Circuit (1, 2, 3)

Nordschleife (1-4)

Nurburgring Grand Prix Circuit (3, 4)

Pacific Shipyards (1)
Prague

Rally di Positano (3; In FM4, Rally di Positano is actually Amalfi rather than the FM3 Positano track)

Rio de Janeiro (1)

Road America (1-4; FM2 DLC)

Road Atlanta (1-4)

Sebring (2, 3, 4)

Sedona (3, 4)

Sidewinder (2, 3; FM3 bonus for purchasing game new as I recall)

Silverstone (1-4)

Sunset Peninsula (1-4)

Suzuka (2, 3, 4)

Tokyo (1)
Top Gear (4)

Tsukuba Circuit (1-4)

Test Track (1)

Twin Ring Motegi (2, 3, 4 ; FM2 DLC)

They did a lousy job moving from FM1 to FM2 though in carrying tracks over (Wish Alpine Ring would finally be updated). But hopefully that won't be the case with this latest jump to new hardware though. And I had forgotten that Forza 1 had night tracks like Tokyo so that was a step backwards since the original.

#41 ·
Well here you go Forza fans!

Your brand spankin' new official wheel- who needs a Fanatec with all that pesky quality when you can have a rebadged Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 complete with plastic pedals. Pedals that conspicuously lack a clutch, btw.

Enjoy!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23433831

Your brand spankin' new official wheel- who needs a Fanatec with all that pesky quality when you can have a rebadged Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 complete with plastic pedals. Pedals that conspicuously lack a clutch, btw.

Enjoy!

This is a console for the future. There are no clutches or quality in the future, get used to it! If you want a clutch and quality, use the older wheels on the 360.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23434491

This is a console for the future. There are no clutches or quality in the future, get used to it! If you want a clutch and quality, use the older wheels on the 360.

I'm surprised MS hasn't used that in an official press announcement, a'la "There's a console you can use offline, it's called the 360".

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23433831

Enjoy!

Why would you expect a clutch on this when the 458 Italian doesn't have a clutch?

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23434974

Why would you expect a clutch on this when the 458 Italian doesn't have a clutch?

Well if that Ferrari was the only car in the game, you'd have a point. So I'll just take your comment as attempted sarcasm.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23434985

Well if that Ferrari was the only car in the game, you'd have a point. So I'll just take your comment as attempted sarcasm.

The point is the 458 doesn't have a clutch and it makes no sense to advertise it as a 458 Italia wheel and have a clutch.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23434985

Quote:
Thrustmaster VG Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel for Xbox

-The world's first wheel with official licenses from Ferrari® and Microsoft Xbox 360®

-Replica of the wheel on the latest Ferrari 458 Italia, star vehicle of Forza Motorsport® 4!

-11? XXL size (7/10ths of the original) with rubber texture cladding for optimal handling on Xbox 360®.
-Wheel-mounted sequential gearbox: 2 Ferrari GT-style metal paddle shifters.

-Pedal set featuring pedals with long range of travel, plus realistic resistance and angle

SO I guess, based on the name of it, it has exactly what it should have.

#48 ·
Who cares what the car does and doesn't have. It's just a marketing tie-in to get a famous automotive name tied with the product and so they could take some styling cues from it to increase sales.

It's not a replica and a complaint about the lack of a clutch pedal is 100% valid even though Forza's clutch modeling has apparently been pretty lackluster anyways.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23435492

Who cares what the car does and doesn't have. It's just a marketing tie-in to get a famous automotive name tied with the product and so they could take some styling cues from it to increase sales.

It's not a replica and a complaint about the lack of a clutch pedal is 100% valid even though Forza's clutch modeling has apparently been pretty lackluster anyways.

Actually, FM4's clutch modeling is considered the best as far as console racers go. Too bad you'll never know if FM5's clutch is any good if you use that thing. But hey, it's mechanically authentic! That is, if you're only driving a modern supercar the whole game....

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1475989/forza-5-10-years-in-the-making/30#post_23435656

Actually, FM4's clutch modeling is considered the best as far as console racers go. Too bad you'll never know if FM5's clutch is any good if you use that thing. But hey, it's mechanically authentic! That is, if you're only driving a modern supercar the whole game....

You're assuming there's not going to be a traditional clutch version of a racing wheel. Why would you assume that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.