AVS Forum banner

Diablo 3

Tags
diablo iii
9K views 187 replies 37 participants last post by  EM3 
#1 ·
The game is coming to the Xbox 360 on Sept 3rd. There has been no confirmation of a Xbox One port.
Quote:
The game will launch in "the U.S., Canada, Spanish-speaking Latin America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand" on Sept. 3, while further launch details — like the title's localization in South Korea — will be announced at a later date. Both versions of the title will net pre-orderers the "Infernal Helm" in-game item which boosts player's experience point gains.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/6/4401864/diablo-3-also-coming-to-xbox-360-console-versions-launching-sept-3

#28 ·
So I take it this game is worth the bucks? I've played all the other Diablo series and love them all but I didn't really want to pay for another subscription for the PC version (Blizzard get's enough of my money from WoW and all the pets/mounts I buy
) but I would go for the console one if it's good.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan  /t/1476072/diablo-3#post_23743852

So I take it this game is worth the bucks? I've played all the other Diablo series and love them all but I didn't really want to pay for another subscription for the PC version (Blizzard get's enough of my money from WoW and all the pets/mounts I buy

I would say yes. Been having blast playing this with the girlfriend. Very few console games that she and I can just sit on couch and play together that she likes but she likes this one.

Its simple but a blast to play and oddly addicting.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23743852

One of the most addictive games I have played in a LONG time.

#33 ·
Well, I decided the game was probably fine for my 8 year old as long as he is playing with me. He has been loving it. We are on the quest to kill the Skeleton King. So far the only thing we have seen that I would consider even remotely age inappropriate for him were some corpses hanging from a tree on the road to Tristam. Fortunately, with the birds eye view, there just isn't a lot of detail. He didn't even mention it. I just don't get the M rating.

I had to keep him home from school yesterday because of a head cold, so that is when I showed him the game. We had a great time playing all day. I'm glad we finally have a game we can play together where I am not bored out of my mind. All the Wii sports games have gotten old.

It seems like my character, a Demon Hunter, is more powerful than my son's character, a Wizard (at least, that is what he keeps lamenting). We are both 8th level, but I found a Bow of Winter, which combined with my skill for rapid fire is just withering to the demons. I'm hoping my son finds a good weapon for a wizard. He still is using his Apprentice Wand. We find a lot of axes and swords, but we haven't found anything a Wizard could take particular advantage of. Are there good weapons to find for wizards? Something better than an Apprentice Wand?

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30#post_23757469

He still is using his Apprentice Wand. We find a lot of axes and swords, but we haven't found anything a Wizard could take particular advantage of. Are there good weapons to find for wizards? Something better than an Apprentice Wand?
I know it sounds strange, but axes and swords are fine for a wizard. As long as you can equip it, all that matters is the damage and the stats.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30_10#post_23757469

Well, I decided the game was probably fine for my 8 year old as long as he is playing with me. He has been loving it. We are on the quest to kill the Skeleton King. So far the only thing we have seen that I would consider even remotely age inappropriate for him were some corpses hanging from a tree on the road to Tristam. Fortunately, with the birds eye view, there just isn't a lot of detail. He didn't even mention it. I just don't get the M rating.

I had to keep him home from school yesterday because of a head cold, so that is when I showed him the game. We had a great time playing all day. I'm glad we finally have a game we can play together where I am not bored out of my mind. All the Wii sports games have gotten old.

It seems like my character, a Demon Hunter, is more powerful than my son's character, a Wizard (at least, that is what he keeps lamenting). We are both 8th level, but I found a Bow of Winter, which combined with my skill for rapid fire is just withering to the demons. I'm hoping my son finds a good weapon for a wizard. He still is using his Apprentice Wand. We find a lot of axes and swords, but we haven't found anything a Wizard could take particular advantage of. Are there good weapons to find for wizards? Something better than an Apprentice Wand?

Actually, the wizard will benefit from equipping the swords, since his spell damage is based on a percentage of his weapon damage. Later in act 1 you'll start finding wands and spell books and you'll never need to equip a wizard with a sword again.

#36 ·
Tell him from a fellow wizard to just hang in there
. I had planned on waiting until around Black Friday to maybe snag a deal on the game but I honestly couldn't wait. I am having such a good time I forgot how fun dungeon crawls are. House work may not get done this weekend

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30#post_23757989

I'm thinking about getting this game, is there an AVS club for this game?

Don't think about it, do
. I hardly ever recommend games but this one hands-down is a definite buy.

Not sure about a club, but if there was one I'd join

#39 ·
I finished the demo. The amount of deaths was reasonable, but I wasn't thrilled with how overmatched some fights became. Will look for a copy soon...

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23769471

I finished the demo. The amount of deaths was reasonable, but I wasn't thrilled with how overmatched some fights became. Will look for a copy soon...

If you thought the fights were overmatched there are multiple difficulty settings, you can select Easy, Normal, Hard, Master 1, Master 2, Master 3, Master 4, Master 5. You can change the difficutly any time you start a new quest. Master 1 - 5 also increased your magic find and experience gained.

#41 ·
been power leveling my secondary characters. having a blast.

man oh man does Leoric's Signet, Cain's armor set and a ruby help!!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23772531

been power leveling my secondary characters. having a blast.

man oh man does Leoric's Signet, Cain's armor set and a ruby help!!

A lot of people don't realize that if you put a ruby in a weapon with a socket increase the weapon damage but if you put an emerald in there to increase crit hit your damage per second will be much higher then if you put the ruby in. Always better to use an emerald over a ruby in a weapon. You can see the difference by trying one checking the stats and then removing it and trying the other just make sure you use the same kind of gem for each type (i.e. star ruby and star emerald) to see the comparison.

#43 ·
And if you put the ruby in your helmet, you get 30% more experience. So with cains set the ruby and leorics signet you are looking at 90% exp. bonus. Plus if you play master5 difficulty there is that huge bonus as well.

And let's not add in whimsy land.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30#post_23770236

If you thought the fights were overmatched there are multiple difficulty settings, you can select Easy, Normal, Hard, Master 1, Master 2, Master 3, Master 4, Master 5. You can change the difficutly any time you start a new quest. Master 1 - 5 also increased your magic find and experience gained.
Yea, but adjusting the difficulty is kinda lame.

I did get a copy, with $5 off via a GameStop coupon. Had to do everything all over, but with the equipment I earned in the demo.

The overmatched thing mostly went away due to the good equipment and the skills from starting at Level 9, but I've suffered one Now I Know Better About Gas Clouds death, and one completely unfair death where the game basically said "Look, I know you thought this fight was going well, and when you saw your health start to go away you did press the left button to use one of your remaining 12 health potions, but I DON'T CARE, YOU DIED ANYWAY!!! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

So I get my current equipment weakened, and have to hope for better drops. Two legendaries so far, and hopefully more once my level reaches where I can craft them. Kinda wish the Scoundrel offered healing, but the Paladin was boring. Not bad, but in spots very annoying...

#45 ·
Can one get a couple of the pages of blacksmithing while playing in Normal mode on the 360? I have the blacksmith right at the end of Master, but without those pages it won't advance to what I think is Grand Master..

The PC folks have a few debates out there, where somebody says yes and others say no. Apparently the console versions are slightly different but that still doesn't mean I can get Master-level stuff in the first pass at the game. REALLY not sure a mode called Nightmare is my speed. Ran into another few situations where I wasn't allowed to live no matter how I ducked or dived or whatevered. That's why Master equipment seems like a good deal, when I level up enough to equip it, anyway...

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30#post_23779025

So I get my current equipment weakened, and have to hope for better drops.

In what way is the equipment weakened when you die? I'm new to Diablo and didn't realize this was happening. Actually, it seemed like dying was kind of inconsequential since you just resurrect. I'm glad there is a penalty. Any other effects from dying?

Thanks.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke  /t/1476072/diablo-3/30#post_23780385

In what way is the equipment weakened when you die? I'm new to Diablo and didn't realize this was happening. Actually, it seemed like dying was kind of inconsequential since you just resurrect. I'm glad there is a penalty. Any other effects from dying?

Thanks.
I guess I overreacted, thinking this 10% equipment weakening mentioned upon a death was a permanent thing, and repairing the equipment didn't fix it. It looks like once I limp back into town the equipment can be made whole again, but then again I don't know if my damage output is the same.

I do need repairs on a regular basis, deaths or not. Telling me about a death penalty just seems cruel, especially if the death comes from something stupid like a sudden burst of wall-building ability that pens in my sorceress so she can't do the ducking that helps keep her alive...

Edit: Got legendary chest armor called Heart of Iron that helped some, but the fight with Magda still ended badly the first time. There is zero tolerance in this game for slacking off thinking that the battle is over, when one swing from a big demon who is 98% dead can still kill you...

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23779025

Yea, but adjusting the difficulty is kinda lame.

I did get a copy, with $5 off via a GameStop coupon. Had to do everything all over, but with the equipment I earned in the demo.

The overmatched thing mostly went away due to the good equipment and the skills from starting at Level 9, but I've suffered one Now I Know Better About Gas Clouds death, and one completely unfair death where the game basically said "Look, I know you thought this fight was going well, and when you saw your health start to go away you did press the left button to use one of your remaining 12 health potions, but I DON'T CARE, YOU DIED ANYWAY!!! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

So I get my current equipment weakened, and have to hope for better drops. Two legendaries so far, and hopefully more once my level reaches where I can craft them. Kinda wish the Scoundrel offered healing, but the Paladin was boring. Not bad, but in spots very annoying...

Are you new to Diablo? Adjustimg the difficulty is actually part of the game. The higher you go up, the better your magic find and experience gained. You are SUPPOSE to adjust the difficulty, you will find loot that makes you ubber powerful, you are suppose to be stepping up to the next difficulty to find even better loot that lets you step up again, etc. It is actually part of the game and done by design.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23780759

I guess I overreacted, thinking this 10% equipment weakening mentioned upon a death was a permanent thing, and repairing the equipment didn't fix it. It looks like once I limp back into town the equipment can be made whole again, but then again I don't know if my damage output is the same.

I do need repairs on a regular basis, deaths or not. Telling me about a death penalty just seems cruel, especially if the death comes from something stupid like a sudden burst of wall-building ability that pens in my sorceress so she can't do the ducking that helps keep her alive...

Edit: Got legendary chest armor called Heart of Iron that helped some, but the fight with Magda still ended badly the first time. There is zero tolerance in this game for slacking off thinking that the battle is over, when one swing from a big demon who is 98% dead can still kill you...

The durability loss on items is not permanent and has no impact on items damage until it breaks (your character icon on the bottom will be red if it breaks. The durability loss is the only way they can to inact a penalty for dying. At least you can resurrect at your corpse in non-boss battles.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23780385

Thanks.

No other effects from dying just 10% durability loss (some items are immune to this effect), it has not impact on your character until the item breaks. It is very cheap to repair.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul  /t/1476072/diablo-3/0_50#post_23779868

Can one get a couple of the pages of blacksmithing while playing in Normal mode on the 360? I have the blacksmith right at the end of Master, but without those pages it won't advance to what I think is Grand Master..

The PC folks have a few debates out there, where somebody says yes and others say no. Apparently the console versions are slightly different but that still doesn't mean I can get Master-level stuff in the first pass at the game. REALLY not sure a mode called Nightmare is my speed. Ran into another few situations where I wasn't allowed to live no matter how I ducked or dived or whatevered. That's why Master equipment seems like a good deal, when I level up enough to equip it, anyway...

Yes. The pages of blacksmithing and the pages of jewel crafting drop all the time and very frequently at certain difficulties. Once you reach, I beleive it is Hell mode (one above nightmare) then you no longer get pages but get the whole manual, which you will need for actual crafting. Once your blacksmith is at maximum level you no longer will need pages anymore. However, to get the blacksmith to level 10 you will need tomes of secrets (also dropped very frequently at the right playthrough). He stops needing the pages to get to tlevel 10 and instead needs the whole tomes. The higher the level playthough (NOT difficulty) the more frequently pages and tomes drop. You can always try nightmare and normal difficulty and farm Act 1.

If you need mroe pages, you can always replay your favorite chapter at normal difficulty and farm for them.

The blacksmih is much easier to raise to 10 then the jewler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.