TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #181 of 3714 Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
check out this bad boy! Lego Titanfall!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3714 Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I'm not saying they won't port. Just that it takes time. Porting is not a trivial process. It took them 6 months to get The Crew's DirectX code to be ported to something the PS4 could read. And look at how The Crew was delayed anyway. Probably because they want to ensure a simultaneous release on all platforms. Isn't that why Rayman was delayed to get a simultaneous release on all the platforms? Otherwise, it was already done for the Wii U a long time ago and shouldn't have been delayed on that platform at all. But publishers know the importance of being released simultaneously. That's why timed exclusives are so powerful. If you release a version later, sales for that version suffer. If Gears of War got released 2 years later on the PS3, even if they throw in all the DLC for free, how many PS3 gamers would've bought it? Probably close to zero, perceiving it as an Xbox title. This happened to Mass Effect. It happened with the Bioshock series. It happened to the Joe Danger series. Did Trials Evolution sell as well on the PS3 as it did on the 360? No. Why not? It's a fabulous game. It happened to many games. There's no reason why a game should suffer for arriving late. A great game is a great game. But it happens. If people feel like the game favors one platform over another, they will resent it and it shows up in the sales. Publishers try to compensate by throwing in more content to give perceived value but it doesn't help much. Anyway, we're straying too far already. This is the Xbox forum.

That's why it's so puzzling.  They're risking so much by not bringing it to PS4 day and date.  Porting may not be trivial, but the vast majority of 3rd party games still manage it just fine. Titanfall is already hitting on 3 platforms, yet they're ignoring two potential huge ones. EA games are particularly prolific, I can't think of any platform/vendor exclusive games from them at all in recent years. Beyond just the relatively minor porting costs compared to the overall production cost, they'd have to rev up an entirely new marketing campaign for the second release, and fight against apathy of gamers/press for an "old" game. All things equal, it'll end up costing/losing them more in the long run than if they had just sucked it up and dedicated the resources and manpower to getting the PS3/4 ports out on time. It's standard practice industry-wide because it's the most cost efficient scenario. If they need to hire another 3rd party to port it just like they did with the 360 version, it's still a no brainer....assuming there isn't some sort of deal that's changing the equation. As much as I'm all about PC nowadays, even I recognize PS4 is a far more important platform to capture than the PC, and yet they've chosen otherwise.

I'm not really worried about the success of Titanfall, it seems like a sure thing.  But there has to be some deal behind the scenes thats forcing their hands on it...there just has to be, because otherwise it just doesn't compute. It's unfortunate that a lot of people will miss out on the initial run.   

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #183 of 3714 Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Titanfall is a system seller. Microsoft recognised this and made a deal. It's all about the games!
mboojigga likes this.
post #184 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Titanfall is a system seller. Microsoft recognised this and made a deal. It's all about the games!

Yep. Every Xbox console has had a shooter that made it a system seller.

OG Xbox - Halo

Xbox360 - Gears

XB1 - TitanFall

They know exactly what they are doing.
mboojigga likes this.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #185 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Yep. Every Xbox console has had a shooter that made it a system seller.

OG Xbox - Halo

Xbox360 - Gears

XB1 - TitanFall

They know exactly what they are doing.

Absolutely. It's the only reason I'm buying an Xbox one right now.

post #186 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Don't forget that titanfall is available on 360 and PC. You don't have to have an XBone to play this game.

If I had a decent rig I'd just buy it for PC and be done with this generation. As is I expect I'll be picking this up for 360. Just not sold on the next gen systems yet and PC parts are getting so cheap...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #187 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Don't forget that titanfall is available on 360 and PC. You don't have to have an XBone to play this game.

If I had a decent rig I'd just buy it for PC and be done with this generation. As is I expect I'll be picking this up for 360. Just not sold on the next gen systems yet and PC parts are getting so cheap...

I know, I'm kind of conflicted. If they featured cross platform play, and let PC players with an Xbox controller play with X1 players, then PC all the way. I just want to play with friends using a controller on my couch and not get raped by mouse players.

post #188 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Yes, the mouse and keyboard crowd is one of the reasons I play CoD on 360 and NOT PC! I always end up playing the campaign on PC and play the multiplayer on console-- my days of lightning fast, hyper accurate, unreal tournament play are long over and I just don't have the reflexes or the time to devote to being a half-decent PC player. On console I can play strategically and feast on all the noobs and kiddies.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #189 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's also the comfort of knowing the $500 spent on the XB1 is good for another 5 or so years of gaming. My problem with the PC world, is not only can it be expensive to get involved in. But its simply not an environment thats friendly for casual gamers. The majority of gamers mouse, keyboard, desk guys who tend to take gaming alot more serious than I ever would. And a year or two down the line.. and you are upgrading the system again or buying all new.

The console investment is one of convenience & ease of use. It also helps that XB1 is complete with media/digital living room features that should make it much more useful than for gaming only.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #190 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

There's also the comfort of knowing the $500 spent on the XB1 is good for another 5 or so years of gaming. My problem with the PC world, is not only can it be expensive to get involved in. But its simply not an environment thats friendly for casual gamers. The majority of gamers mouse, keyboard, desk guys who tend to take gaming alot more serious than I ever would. And a year or two down the line.. and you are upgrading the system again or buying all new.

The console investment is one of convenience & ease of use. It also helps that XB1 is complete with media/digital living room features that should make it much more useful than for gaming only.

True, but I think a lot of that may be changing soon. The upgrade cycle has gotten a lot simpler now that all you really need to upgrade is the video card every now and then, a decent processor lasts a very long time. I think most people will be surprised at how far it's come for ease of use over the past few years.

I think cross platform play is inevitable...they've just got to find a way to reliably separate the controller players from the mouse players. Maybe the steam controller can even bridge the gap.

All I know is I'm so underwhelmed right now with what both consoles are doing compared to the PC, but especially the X1. There's no game I want to play more than titanfall, but I want to play it on my terms. If I can get by on PC, I can take that $500 saved and use it to upgrade GPUs for the next 3-4 years, which benefits ALL my games.

post #191 of 3714 Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Yeah, I don't sell my games back either. You don't really get any money back. It's pocket change to me. And then they have the gall to turn around and sell it for near new full retail price? I'd rather hold onto it. You'd be surprised at how often people will go, "hey do you still have ___? let's play that."

I must not play games as long as others. I routinely get more than half of what I pay back when I sell it. I will buy Titanfall for less than sixty, get the achievements, play the MP until it gets old, and get $30 plus on eBay.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #192 of 3714 Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

That's why it's so puzzling.  They're risking so much by not bringing it to PS4 day and date.  Porting may not be trivial, but the vast majority of 3rd party games still manage it just fine. Titanfall is already hitting on 3 platforms, yet they're ignoring two potential huge ones. EA games are particularly prolific, I can't think of any platform/vendor exclusive games from them at all in recent years. Beyond just the relatively minor porting costs compared to the overall production cost, they'd have to rev up an entirely new marketing campaign for the second release, and fight against apathy of gamers/press for an "old" game. All things equal, it'll end up costing/losing them more in the long run than if they had just sucked it up and dedicated the resources and manpower to getting the PS3/4 ports out on time. It's standard practice industry-wide because it's the most cost efficient scenario. If they need to hire another 3rd party to port it just like they did with the 360 version, it's still a no brainer....assuming there isn't some sort of deal that's changing the equation. As much as I'm all about PC nowadays, even I recognize PS4 is a far more important platform to capture than the PC, and yet they've chosen otherwise.

I'm not really worried about the success of Titanfall, it seems like a sure thing.  But there has to be some deal behind the scenes thats forcing their hands on it...there just has to be, because otherwise it just doesn't compute. It's unfortunate that a lot of people will miss out on the initial run.   
So we're clear, EA has nothing to do with making Titanfall. They're just the publisher and Respawn isn't part of EA's internal studios. They're basically just handling marketing and production of the discs.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #193 of 3714 Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

So we're clear, EA has nothing to do with making Titanfall. They're just the publisher and Respawn isn't part of EA's internal studios. They're basically just handling marketing and production of the discs.

Where'd respawn get all the money to fund the development?

post #194 of 3714 Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where'd respawn get all the money to fund the development?
West and Zampella weren't exactly hurting for money after the CoD settlement. I imagine they also got funding from EA under the publishing deal since it's their first game, but their deal leaves them incredibly independent. EA has zero control over the IP or influence over future games. Those guys have already been down that road once.

post #195 of 3714 Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Or like any other company, they could have gotten their own private financing from various sources.

I don't imagine they would have to try to hard to convince an investment group or financial institution for help to start a new IP, when they created two of the best selling videogame titles of all time: COD4 & MW2.

Regardless of where they got the money from. After remembering their fallout from Activision.. I can imagine the #1 priority on their next project was NOT to let the publisher take control of their IP. Again.
Jeremy Anderson likes this.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #196 of 3714 Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm just saying, it's my understanding that the primary funding source is EA, even if they have no creative control. Not that EA can demand they make it multiplatform, but I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to throw money at them to double their sales.  The fact that it hasn't happened is pretty solid evidence that respawn is in control, but "we're a small team, we wanted to focus on one platform" is kind of a bizarre excuse with EA backing them.

Just hire more people already, you'll need them for titanfall 2 anyway!

post #197 of 3714 Old 10-26-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I look at it like I would a loan shark. Yeah, you can borrow from EA, but... do you really want to have to owe EA a favor in return? Because EA will come to your house and break your legs if you don't deliver. tongue.gif

post #198 of 3714 Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I look at it like I would a loan shark. Yeah, you can borrow from EA, but... do you really want to have to owe EA a favor in return? Because EA will come to your house and break your legs if you don't deliver. tongue.gif

Yeah, who knows, maybe it's a power play lol, just to remind EA who's in control. 

There are these things called contracts though. :P

post #199 of 3714 Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I read somewhere that Respawn went to Sony first but were turned away because Sony thought there were plenty of FPS's for the launch window. Respawn then went to MS and was received with open arms. MS provided plenty of help, Sony provided none, that is the reason the title is not on their platform at this time.
post #200 of 3714 Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I know, I'm kind of conflicted. If they featured cross platform play, and let PC players with an Xbox controller play with X1 players, then PC all the way. I just want to play with friends using a controller on my couch and not get raped by mouse players.

As I'll be going Ps4 out of the gate, and I just built a pc about a month ago...1st ever...I'm thinking I will indeed get this game for pc.

Haven't owned a PS since PS2. Hoping XB releases a cheaper One without Kinect that is more powerful than the XBone, but at this point I'm starting not to care.
post #201 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

post #202 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 222

I've seen your favorite clip so many times now. Lol, it is funny.

I might be tempted by the time this game comes out, honestly though.
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #203 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just sayin'... Too many people come here just to say they're going PS4 and leaving Xbox behind. If you know that... why are you here again? That clip just seems appropriate. And really, who doesn't like a little Curly Bill? tongue.gif

post #204 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just sayin'... Too many people come here just to say they're going PS4 and leaving Xbox behind. If you know that... why are you here again? That clip just seems appropriate. And really, who doesn't like a little Curly Bill? tongue.gif

Titanfall is multiplatform. smile.gif

post #205 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Titanfall is multiplatform. smile.gif

For MS based systems cool.gif.

The 5.0 is here
post #206 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

For MS based systems cool.gif.

Sure...just saying it's theoretically possible for one to skip the X1, buy a PS4 and still play titanfall on one of the other two platforms. So the purity test is a little silly.

post #207 of 3714 Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure...just saying it's theoretically possible for one to skip the X1, buy a PS4 and still play titanfall on one of the other two platforms. So the purity test is a little silly.
Doesn't mean I'm gonna pass up the opportunity to use that clip! tongue.gif

post #208 of 3714 Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I might as well post this here too.

Titanfall an Xbox One, 360, PC Exclusive for Its 'Lifetime'
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/titanfall-an-xbox-one-360-pc-exclusive-for-its-lifetime
onlysublime likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #209 of 3714 Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Booooo!

post #210 of 3714 Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
yeah, I bet it's like Mass Effect. Mass Effect was Microsoft only for the longest time. Then EA bought Bioware and Mass Effect 2 and 3 were multiplatform. Then later ME1 was ported.

Sony owners better pray that Respawn publishes the sequel on non-Microsoft platforms. Could be like a Gears of War situation. They own the IP but it stays Microsoft.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Titanfall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page