AVS Forum banner

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak

Tags
titanfall
130K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  kevin g. 
#1 ·
 Grabbed from GAF

According to article it is Xbox One and PC. With a 360 version being developed by someone else. Game uses cloud

- Xbox One, PC

- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else

- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it

- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them

- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would be this project or another.

- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations

- Spring 2014 Release Date

- In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.

- First person shooter

- "Mech" and ground combat

- "Mech's" are called Titans.

- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.

- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.

- Player characters are called Pilots

- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.

- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".

- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.

- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.

- There are AI enemies on the maps.

- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.

- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.

- Source gives them 60 fps

- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen

- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.

- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.

- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.

- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.

- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
Quote:
MORE STUFF

A lot of the article has to do with Respawn's origins, actually.

So here's the exclusivity mention: They thought working on PS4, Xbox One and PC would prove too difficult for a small team, so they decided to focus on one console instead of two. (er...). "Not to say we won't [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could."

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."

[QUOTE
article about Titanfall:

"Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers."

"Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match."

From Titanfall article:

"Hulking 24-foot tall mechs concentrate heavy fire on anything that moves while lithe soldiers zip across the map with a swiftness normally reserved for superheroes"

"Legions of AI soldiers pour in and out of buildings on a large-scale battlefield as dropships deliver reinforcements from above"

Weapons of soldiers can vaporize multiple targets at once, but the mechs can repel shots back.

Blurs line between competitive multiplayer and single player.

"The titans move at the speed of a regular soldier in many first person shooters and feature an array of heavy firepower that make them formidable adversaries in open space"

Titans best offense is good defense.

Titans can be player controlled or can be commanded to guard an area or follow you around.

More to come...[/QUOTE]

http://aem-static.eadwp.com/rs-prod/Titanfall_E3_Demo_mp4.zip

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Source Engine.

At least they finally dropped ID Tech 3! Source is showing it's age, but it's a much more versitile engine and was rebuilt from the ground up rather then patchworked together. Should make development a bit easier for them and allow a much better product out in the end.

Pretty picky about FPS (Too many, most too bland), but this one sounds interesting.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23397677

I'll give it a chance for sure but the description of the game, especially Mechs, does nothing for me.
I came to post this. It doesn't really sound all that amazing, but I will check it out when I get my next game informer.

#5 ·
Waiting for gameplay before I judge, but the original IW making a next gen game at 60FPS....how can that go wrong?

Glad that they're at least developing for PC....I suspect MS is paying for timed exclusivity on this one.

The whole bit about "we looked at current gen, but we couldn't do it - coming to an Xbox 360 near you!" is kind of silly.

Everything points to something on the visual level of cod:ghosts, but as look as the frame rate is smooth and the gameplay is tight, who cares?

#7 ·
I'm glad it's coming to pc. I'm excited to see what the Respawn guys came up with.

The thing that stood out to me is the unlimited dedicated servers bit. Other than Cloud being the new word for dedicated servers, is Microsoft providing dedicated servers for the game? I wonder how that relationship works between developers and Microsoft.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23398422

mechs sound fantastic.

personally, I hate the Source engine. I don't think I like the graphics of any Source engine game. orange box, half life 2, left 4 dead series, portal series, etc. fun to play with okay graphics.

It makes sense why they'd go with it though. They were building off of idtech for years with the COD engine. Obviously activision would never license it to them after what happened, so they went with the only other engine out there that's still based on idtech - source.

It's never ran or looked great on consoles, so the 360 port will probably be garbage....but the PC/next gen ones should be butter smooth at least.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23398429

I'm glad it's coming to pc. I'm excited to see what the Respawn guys came up with.

The thing that stood out to me is the unlimited dedicated servers bit. Other than Cloud being the new word for dedicated servers, is Microsoft providing dedicated servers for the game? I wonder how that relationship works between developers and Microsoft.

I'm guessing they just tap into the (worldwide?) azure server pools....MS probably charges based on actual usage. Easier than setting up your own server farm at least.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23398774

why not use Unreal? I'm catching up on my heavy backlog of games and am about to finish Batman Arkham Asylum and man, that game looks good (gameplay is a little meh).

Because their programmers are intimately familiar with idtech, and probably used similar methods to valve in extending it. They can hit the ground running.

You have to imagine EA would have loved them to use frostbite, and made them a sweetheart deal. For that not to happen, they must really, really love idtech.

#12 ·
Of course I'm interested considering who's made this game.

But call me skeptical until I see atleast some reviews or can play. Great to see these guys back in the business though!

#13 ·
It sounds like they are trying for something new. I imagine it will not launch with the console, but a few months later when the market clears out a bit. I am intrigued to say the least. Most likely going to pick this up regardless, as I want something new to try. COD is something I will always buy until something else comes along. This could be it!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak/0_100#post_23399121

It sounds like they are trying for something new. I imagine it will not launch with the console, but a few months later when the market clears out a bit. I am intrigued to say the least. Most likely going to pick this up regardless, as I want something new to try. COD is something I will always buy until something else comes along. This could be it!

Spring 2014 is the expected release. They say the article has images.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23399121

I'll be shocked if they lost their mojo....they made probably the most influential game of the past decade, I think they're gonna bring their A game. Just the fact that its 60fps means they're aiming for gameplay over graphics, but more than anything else, I'm really psyched that its not a cod clone.

#16 ·
 http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4420896/titanfall-developer-talks-mobility-survivability-and-fast-paced-action

I'm surprised this game isn't getting that much attention....they're doing some really neat stuff.

During the e3 demo, I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at....was it SP, or MP? It looks like the answer is.....both. It's MP dressed up with a lot of cinematic SP trappings. There's "fodder" AI enemies mixed up with the opposing players. Just as your mission objectives change throughout a campaign level, a match (if that's even the right word anymore) can start off as something like domination, and end as a chase to escape pods.

The mechs seem really mobile and powerful, but the pilots are agile in a way we haven't seen since UT2004 - double jumping, wall bouncing, etc

Destiny seems like SP with the occasional MP sprinkled in, but titanfall looks like MP with some SP trappings....I'm really digging what I see so far.

#17 ·
This is my most anticipated title of the next gen. Very glad it isn't coming out at launch as there are a ton of games I want to play. Hopefully I will be able to knock out a bunch of them and when this comes out I will be able to play it for a long time. I am sure I will be tired of COD and BF by the time this releases.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes  /t/1476078/titanfall-ea-respawn-pc-xb1-360-spring-2014-game-informer-leak#post_23418684

This is my most anticipated title of the next gen. Very glad it isn't coming out at launch as there are a ton of games I want to play. Hopefully I will be able to knock out a bunch of them and when this comes out I will be able to play it for a long time. I am sure I will be tired of COD and BF by the time this releases.

Yeah, they're very smart to space it out. It needs to earn its place first....otherwise it'll just get buried, just like it is at e3. When it finally hits, it'll probably have the undivided attention of the press and gamers.

#24 ·
Away at a wedding in the mountains of Winchester, VA and I'm currently downloading the trailer posted in this thread using my Macbook tethered to my iPhone5's Verizon 4G/LTE connection.

File size is 1.2GB and its took less than 3mins. I just had to share that little bit of awesomeness with someone! (yes I have the grandfathered unlimited plan)

#25 ·
Hands down the most impressive title I've seen so far from E3.

Ryse was also extremely impressive, but THIS game looks more like my style. Knowing that it was made by the creators of COD4.. I KNOW it is my style.

#26 ·
I like that they are breaking out of typical COD sequel and trying something new but with keeping the general game play. I know they also have a sequel but I find that I do not really care when a new one is released anymore. I still have not bought BLOPs 2 and will probably wait until it drops in price.

I also like the Coop play. This should help with some of the hate in players and make glitching less relevant. It kills the fun when players are flying around and firing 1000 rounds a second from a hand gun.