post #121 of 141 Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

What impact did Lenovo buying out IBM's hardware business have on the USA military?

Assuming Microsoft forces Kinect on Xbox One's do you think they will be allowed on military base's/ships?

Are they allowed now with the 360? If they are then I would think they would be allowed with the XBOne.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

What impact did Lenovo buying out IBM's hardware business have on the USA military?

Assuming Microsoft forces Kinect on Xbox One's do you think they will be allowed on military base's/ships?

I do not work for the US military. But I can tell you the federal law enforcement agency I do work for, got rid of ALL their IBM laptops when Lenovo purchased them. I personally was affected by this, as I was mandated to turn in my work issued IBM thinkpad.

We now use Dell & Panasonic "ToughBook" laptops.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #123 of 141 Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Are they allowed now with the 360? If they are then I would think they would be allowed with the XBOne.

my friend is in the Air Force and is based in Japan, and he has a Kinect with him. He uses it for his "special" chats with his gf. wink.gif
post #124 of 141 Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I used Kinect while I was deployed. Bases provide Internet services from local companies. I used StrongVPN so I could use HBOgo and purchase content.

The 5.0 is here
post #125 of 141 Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please remind me again how the NSA is not a communist government party? Oh yeah, we get to vote wink.gif

They can use every resource available to find out your underwear size but it took them 10 years to find bin laden wink.gif

post #126 of 141 Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If only Bin Laden would have had Kinect.

The NSA would have caught him on video in his underwear on 09/12/2001. Atleast thats what you would think from reading this thread.
pennhunter likes this.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #127 of 141 Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

If only Bin Laden would have had Kinect.

The NSA would have caught him on video in his underwear on 09/12/2001. Atleast thats what you would think from reading this thread.
That's ridiculous... Bin Laden was WAY too tall for the original Kinect to read his body. tongue.gif
pennhunter likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #128 of 141 Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://gizmodo.com/the-fbi-can-remotely-activate-microphones-from-android-996086550

Still worried about Kinect?

Hopefully you arent posting this from your new Samsung Galaxy whatever..
pennhunter likes this.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #129 of 141 Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Why not iPhones? NSA needs to get their act together.
post #130 of 141 Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

http://gizmodo.com/the-fbi-can-remotely-activate-microphones-from-android-996086550

Still worried about Kinect?

Hopefully you arent posting this from your new Samsung Galaxy whatever..

Like many of us on this thread, you're just making the same point over and over. So now I will do the same thing. Yes, I'm still worried about Kinect. Someone else (not me) already called you out on your logical fallacy. It's called .....(drum roll).....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #131 of 141 Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh have no doubt.

ANY time I come across a blogger post about any type of Gov monitoring of a consumer electronic device. I will make sure to post it in this thread.

I'm just doing my part to continue the ridiculousness of the assertion that the XB1 should be avoided, due to fear that the NSA will be using Kinect to watch you.

And I say its ridiculous, not because its impossible for the NSA to have such a capability. But ridiculous to worry about it with just Kinect. If you are truly that paranoid they are using Kinect to watch you, then you should also be truly that paranoid to use ANY consumer electronic device with a camera, microphone, GPS and/or antenna.
ultracat and mboojigga like this.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #132 of 141 Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Oh have no doubt.

ANY time I come across a blogger post about any type of Gov monitoring of a consumer electronic device. I will make sure to post it in this thread.

I'm just doing my part to continue the ridiculousness of the assertion that the XB1 should be avoided, due to fear that the NSA will be using Kinect to watch you.

And I say its ridiculous, not because its impossible for the NSA to have such a capability. But ridiculous to worry about it with just Kinect. If you are truly that paranoid they are using Kinect to watch you, then you should also be truly that paranoid to use ANY consumer electronic device with a camera, microphone, GPS and/or antenna.

Knock yourself out but to be clear the reason I've been posting here is because this is an Xbox forum and since Kinect is a Microsoft Xbox product, this is a topic to be discussed.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #133 of 141 Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Here's a link to the another tech site article with lots of freaky stuff related to this. Quite scary, actually:

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+NSA+is+Reading+Your+Email+Chats+without+Warrant/article33085.htm

XKeyscore : Presentations on the tool describe a "Digital Network Intelligence (DNI)" which scrapes countless bytes of data from ISPs, telecommunications backbones, and more under the PATRIOT Act. One slide brags, "nearly everything a typical user does on the internet [is captured]."

Think about that for a second. A typical user. That means you and me.

Presumably most people here are being spied on every day. We're being scanned. Our emails contain our private thoughts. Our posts contain our political persuations, our every move, our travel plans, our purchases.

Every word in every email, text message, tweet, facebook post, is recorded and analysed, and possibly stored indefinitely.

Regarding not posting political issues on this site: not allowing us to discuss it is inherently taking a side, IMO. (to clarify : it supports apathy and the status quo of maintaining the inexorable growth of the NSA security apparatus, an unmistakable monstrosity).

Anyway, the cat is out of the bag, and pretty much most reasonable people will oppose this, so even though the original point of this thread has obviously been discussed to death already, it's still worth noting that despite the Xb1/ Kinect2 being merely a tool, there are plenty of valid uses of Kinect 2 tech that should not be ruined by this illegal and/or immoral spying programme.

The main takeaway for me is : we should all be aware that our data could probably be (ab)used against us all unless we collectively put a stop to it by forcing our representatives to act in our interests, or electing others who will. Or even merely obey the law to begin with, since there are probably plenty of laws being broken here, no reason to give the NSA any credibility on that point. My own government here in Canada has been known to ignore the border and the NSA leaks even shows a map up today showing that it implicitly considers Canada to be a part of the US, indistinguishable in fact as we as in principle or in theory. That's quite astonishing in its temerity, if you think about it. Our sovereignty is effectively surrendered and moot. As much as I adore the founding principles of the US, it's too dysfunctional to even consider the notion of being annexed by it or subject to its ever-expanding draconian police state. In only practical terms, those are still very real threats to our personal liberties, even affecting my willingness to post online at all, considering this scandal. That has a real stifling effect on the human spirit, and is worth fighting against. I'd prefer the NSA to consider Canadian citizens private emails and phone calls and web traffic history as a "no fly zone" over which it has no jurisdiction unless a warrant is involved on the basis of probable cause in a specific criminal investigation, not some massive dragnet of innocent citizens' lives. We are no threat to the US and are in fact allies, I don't think we appreciate being treated as enemies of the US state, even less so than US citizens should, although effectively that's what these revelations entail : the government considers you its #1 enemy. Why else spend so much time, money, and effort spying on you, every day? Binning your data into "interesting" bins. That's not made up. That's what they're doing right now. A month ago I'd even have thought it was paranoid to think they cared about random joe blow on the internet's opinions. They very much do care, especially if you're political. Doesn't matter what persuasion, as long as you have solid beliefs, or perhaps even mention this or another issue in passing. Or not even that. They just collect all the data on everyone indiscriminately, and hold it indefinitely. To be used...maybe? Probably. Who knows.

Too much scary stuff to consider in one sitting. This is not mere dismissable paranoia, sadly, it's verifiable fact. Every single word you write in private or public, whether it's encrypted via SSL or not, that travels over HTTP, is being actively monitored and stored indefinitely and analyzed for patterns. Your online presence is a clear smoking gun of your actual thoughts, probably more so than most people's casual conversations even with their own loved ones in many cases. People's true thoughts and natures are more often laid bare in online forums (people often have no filters while "anonymous", which they actually aren't). At all. Must go digest what this all means. Science fiction has like 1984 has already been proven to be both more prophetic than probably all the holy texts combined, while simultaneously massively understating the size of the vice grips we are building to encapsulate the human mind. Bars are being built for all our minds. And they reside somewhere in a datacenter in Utah, beginning by collecting our collective thoughts, then by analyzing our every word for patterns, then ...who knows? Does anyone actually believe the NSA databases will be used only for the good of mankind? That would be a nice thought to have before bed, wouldn't it. Sadly, I don't believe in fairy tale endings to nightmarish realities.
Leo_Ames and TeflonSoul like this.
post #134 of 141 Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Here's a link to the another tech site article with lots of freaky stuff related to this. Quite scary, actually:

Not scary at all. And not surprising either. It's seems just like at work.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #135 of 141 Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Guess its not so smart, to buy a Smart TV these days.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/technology/security/tv-hack/index.html

Looks like Samsung is on a roll. First their phones are listening in to you. Now their TV's are watching.

Wonder how many millions of people own a Samsung Galaxy smartphone or TV?
pennhunter likes this.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #136 of 141 Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I think it's funny that we are discussing how the government is so terrible and will destroy the lives of the innocents by using Kinect on an open forum with no fear of retribution. We can't really fear the US government that much then do we?

As I said I'm just as paranoid but have decided not to worry about what has likely been going on forever. I'm happy with my delusion that I can go to a movie theater, drive over a bridge, or take public transportation without much worry. I also don't worry because the very technology that everyone is afraid of I think will always save us. With the Internet, phone, TV, etc we disimimate information so quickly that if our govememt turned on us news gets out. Someone always talks. Badley, Snowden, etc. Someone leaks info then its up to us to call them heroes or traitors. In the past, government FUD was so much harder to counter. Today the very people I disagree with in this thread keep everyone on their toes and make me think. I just happen to think that Kinect is not the weapon that I'm most worried about. It's not about loving the Xbox it's thinking that you're safe with everything else as long as you avoid the Xbox that's silly.
post #137 of 141 Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
I just want to show the NSA my junk. cool.gif

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #138 of 141 Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I just want to show the NSA my junk. cool.gif

lol.. I hope MS won't put you in the category of sex predators with their new sorting algorithms that they seemed to come up for xbone

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #139 of 141 Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 388
BTW,I would replace the Asian women with Latinas,but I do like the Grand Mariner,the 150 year old would suffice.smile.gif
post #140 of 141 Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
WARNING: AVS exists to discuss technology, not trash it. While legitimate comparisons between competing systems is welcome, trolling and trashing the technology just for spite is not.

To that end, some posts have been deleted and one member banned from this thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #141 of 141 Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Since this has become nothing but a discussion of government activity, the thread is closed. There are other forums for that sort of thing.
stevew24963 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page