Xbox One Media Capabilities - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I thought it would be good to start a thread on this. If they can do a good job with it, it may make it something I buy sooner than I would otherwise. I hope the can replace my Directv box and allow me to use an external drive as a DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I thought xbox one could function as a DVR?
post #3 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So how am I going to hook up a Roku/Cable box to the XB1 and use an AVR for audio control? I assume you would feed your video sources into the AVR as you do now, but instead of outputting to the TV you would output to the HDMI in on the XB1, and then feed the tv from the XB1 HDMI out. That's all well and good but how do you get your sound back to the AVR? Just optical out, and then you lose your DTS-MA?

I have the XB1 pre-ordered, but this is a major question for me.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #4 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does the X1 support ARC?

I am planning on feeding my DirecTV HDMI through my X1 and back to the receiver having them share an input on my receiver now.

Not sure there will be any benefit of sending any other devices through the X1 other than satellite and cable providers.

I would expect that a X1 could/would replace a Roku device.

What I want to know is if the X1 will read mkv etc off of a network drive.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #5 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I thought xbox one could function as a DVR?

It can DVR game play, but nothing has been mentioned of either capturing the HDMI signal from a cable box or interacting with usb or ethernet tv tuners.

Silicon Dust has showed that their networked tuner can feed DLNA devices. It won't record that way but if the One supports MPEG2 and DLNA (how couldnt it?) then you could fire up live programming with a cable card tuner.

The HTPC forum has been abuzz wondering if/how this will support Windows Media Center as an extender.

I think you can infer a few things about digital media playback given the specs:

-as a certified bluray player, it will support Cinavia on some level
-there will be support for H264, VC1, MPEG2, DTS-MA, and True HD. whether that extends to any file format NOT a bluray disc is up in the air
-even though the 360 can play HD-DVDs, it chokes on the high bitrate of those movies when they are remuxed into other containers. bluray on the One could be similar but that's speculation either way

As much as MKV or ISO support would be met with universal approval by consumers I can't imagine it happening but that's just me guessing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xboxteam/archive/2006/11/03/emergence-day.aspx

People in the main thread were asking about the 360 HD-DVD drive. That link has some great info about how difficult it was to make the 360 play HD-DVDs. It required writing a ton of software code that I imagine would be specific to the PowerPC processor inside the 360. Given that its been dead for going on 5 years I think its safe to say the One will not be able to read and play them with the drive attached.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #7 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Xbox one has been confirmed not to include any internal DVR functionality, or external DVR control. frown.gif

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
If I can't control my DVR with the Xbox, then I will never run my cable through it if I get it at all.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #9 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
That link is from the May reveal event. There have no new details outside of what was said there.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If the half baked Google TV can control a DVR then I should think this will too. That can't intelligently tell your DVR to record things via its fancy search interface, but it can take you to the appropriate screen to schedule it.

There are three companies making cablecard tuners and a few more making qam that could in theory work with the One. By writing an app that would allow the hard drive to act as recorder storage they could drive sales of their tuners.

I'm sure actually getting an app like that developed and released would be difficult, but its very possible. Perhaps its something a company like Niveus would pursue.

post #11 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The Xbox One will never replace my other media devices: it likely will never control my Tivos, certainly won't interface with any other console and it's highly unlikely that it will handle media shares or codecs that MS doesn't like, such as MKVs with subtitles. It will be as much as a media box as it can, under the strictures of not competing with Microsoft's own video and music services and corporate partners...which is to say it will access various streaming services, mostly.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

The Xbox One will never replace my other media devices: it likely will never control my Tivos, certainly won't interface with any other console and it's highly unlikely that it will handle media shares or codecs that MS doesn't like, such as MKVs with subtitles. It will be as much as a media box as it can, under the strictures of not competing with Microsoft's own video and music services and corporate partners...which is to say it will access various streaming services, mostly.

So essentially it will be an updated version of the 360.

post #13 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Xbox one has been confirmed not to include any internal DVR functionality, or external DVR control. frown.gif

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

that's not what the actual statements actually say. that's an interpretation.

here are the actual words:

"Xbox One does not provide any built-in DVR capabilities, but on your Xbox One console you will be able to access and use your cable or satellite set-top box DVR service via HDMI pass-through," they explained.

"Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that's television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box."

now, that's still open to serious interpretation and there's just not enough detail. If you're specifically suggesting built-in DVR capabilities, that would be saying you are DVRing directly to your Xbox One hardware (the HDD) and that has not been been suggested outside of wishful thinking.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I thought it would control your DVR using the IR blasters that it has installed in the Kinect.

If this thing will not play MKV's then I'll be pissed.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #15 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hdmi-passthrough/

The new box features HDMI in and out for passthrough with your cable or satellite box. It's even able to control connected devices with Kinect 2.0-detected voice and gesture commands thanks to IR blasters and HDMI-CEC.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57585543-221/six-challenges-for-integrated-tv-on-the-xbox-one/

Will it require clunky IR blasters?

If you look closely at the back of the Xbox One, there's a small minijack-size port that says "IR out."

That hints that the Xbox One will be controlling other devices, such as your TV and cable box, using standard IR commands. What we don't know is whether it will have built-in IR blasters, like Google TV devices, or require awkward external IR blasters that harken back to the original TiVos.

There's also the issue of how many types of devices the Xbox One will be capable of controlling. If you need to pick up a separate remote to adjust the volume on an AV receiver (or sound bar), the magic, hands-free TV experience goes away pretty quickly. "Xbox One controls your cable box" sounds like a great idea, but the real-world details get complicated in a hurry.

as for how kinect figures into all of it, it's unclear. as far as I understand it, you say the command, it gets interpreted and executed. I doubt the Kinect is the "IR blaster".
post #16 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I've read ir is for older devices that don't support control via HDMI. Who knows it might spur more companies to build CEC into their devices.

post #17 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

that's not what the actual statements actually say. that's an interpretation.

here are the actual words:

"Xbox One does not provide any built-in DVR capabilities, but on your Xbox One console you will be able to access and use your cable or satellite set-top box DVR service via HDMI pass-through," they explained.

"Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that's television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box."

now, that's still open to serious interpretation and there's just not enough detail. If you're specifically suggesting built-in DVR capabilities, that would be saying you are DVRing directly to your Xbox One hardware (the HDD) and that has not been been suggested outside of wishful thinking.

Well, until we have the X1 in our hands, or clear and unambiguous statements, wishful thinking is all we have. tongue.gif

I suppose "able to access and use your cable or satellite set-top box DVR service via HDMI pass-through" is open to some interpretation, but I'd think that if it had the ability to control the DVR, they'd have said so. It sounds to me like you'll have to pick up your cable remote and do it manually.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

as for how kinect figures into all of it, it's unclear. as far as I understand it, you say the command, it gets interpreted and executed. I doubt the Kinect is the "IR blaster".

I definetly read somewhere that there are powerful Ir blasters built into kinect, the IR out is for when your devices are not in the same room or in a cabinet etc where the kinect will not work.

post #19 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Found the article I read, thanks google.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-57588924-10391702/the-tech-behind-kinect-and-how-it-will-control-your-living-room/
Jeremy Anderson likes this.

post #20 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

woah... that's pretty cool! I didn't know the Kinect could be used like that!

snippets from the article:

At first I thought I had misunderstood him, so I made sure to reply slowly. "So you're saying Kinect is going to blast IR signals at your living room, and they're going to reflect off walls and stuff and bounce back to control all of your devices?"

"That's correct," Marc Whitten said.

"Whoa," I replied.

The room I met Whitten in was set up like an average living room environment with a centered HDTV and an ordinary device cabinet beneath. It's with this setup the IR-blasting Kinect should perform normally. "Kinect tends to be where the TV is," he said.

But what about people who keep their devices in cabinets? Or racks? Or in a different room? For those cases, Xbox One will offer a solution that would run a cabled IR blaster to the devices that need commands sent.

The console's quest to be the center of your living room is focused around creating an all-in-one living room entertainment experience. "Kinect can not only be amazing for games, but can make your living room work better," he said.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Damn

The 5.0 is here
post #22 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anyone know if cable "guide" info can be transmitted via HDMI?

My understanding is that the Kinect +XB1 will be able function as a fancy Harmony remote and be able to control IR devices so all it really needs is the guide info.

Course you still have to have the damn cable box in the room. frown.gif

I have seen demos of the XBOX ONE "tv guide" being accessed on a Smartglass device.......I am just not sure what is feeding that guide's info.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

What exactly do you mean - as in will it show up on your screen? The demo looked more or less identical how Windows Media Center works when you use a set top box with a capture device.

You look at the fancier guide from the Xbox on your tv and then select a channel. The Xbox tells the cable box to flip to that channel.
Quote:

I have seen demos of the XBOX ONE "tv guide" being accessed on a Smartglass device.......I am just not sure what is feeding that guide's info.

Zap2It is where the WMC data comes from.

post #24 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

My understanding is that the Kinect +XB1 will be able function as a fancy Harmony remote and be able to control IR devices so all it really needs is the guide info.

Course you still have to have the damn cable box in the room. frown.gif

The Xbox has wifi direct in it, so couldn't it be transmitting it to your phone once you have it connected to your Xbox? I am starting to like some of this tv stuff I am reading about. If I can access my dvr and set stuff up to record while it is running through my xbox, then I will probably use it when it comes out.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #25 of 33 Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Engadget had a good writeup of what we know so far of the Xbox One's media capabilities.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-live-tv-microsoft-history-what-to-expect/
post #26 of 33 Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really hope they can pull something off to replace my Directv box. I do not need a different controller and my family and guests do not want a camera mounted over the tv for looks as well as privacy and I do not want to replace my tv service with internet because my tv service never hangs up, unlike the online services I use. Actually replacing the box, even for a small fee would be a huge value to me and maybe even save some money.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I don't see how the XB1 would replace a DirecTV box because there are no satellite inputs on the back of the XB1. You're going to have to have away to get the signal from the dish to the XB1 and without dedicated sat inputs it means you'll always need some other box between them.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #28 of 33 Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Plus DirecTV does not authorize any other set top boxes.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #29 of 33 Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

4 or 5 years ago directv was working on a receiver/tuner card for windows pcs. they abandoned that and id be curious to know the reason and what their relationship is today with microsoft http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/directv-kills-its-media-center-tuner-project/614

post #30 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More news here http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/ent-time-warner
Quote:
In a landmark deal announcement for Xbox 360 and Time Warner Cable customers, we’re excited to share a new partnership that will deliver up to 300 of the most popular live TV channels to Xbox 360 for Xbox Live Gold members. This deal, which will bring more live channels than any other experience on Xbox 360, will offer Time Warner Cable subscribers with an Xbox Live Gold membership the ability to watch their favorite shows from right from their Xbox 360 — including favorites like AMC, BBC World News, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Food Network, HGTV and more. And unlike any other platform, you’ll be able to control your entertainment using your voice via Kinect for Xbox 360.

“TWC TV is a significant addition to Xbox 360, bringing our customers their favorite entertainment in one place—enhanced TV experience, games, movies, music, sports and entertainment apps,” said Blair Westlake, corporate vice president, Media & Entertainment Group at Microsoft. “Our partnership with TWC enhances all that is available on Xbox 360 today, which will we continue expand. We’re thrilled to offer TWC TV to U.S. Xbox Live members and Time Warner Cable subscribers.”

When the TWC TV app launches later this summer, you’ll be able to download it right from the Xbox Live Marketplace, log-in with your Time Warner Cable credentials and start watching your favorite channels and programs instantly.

Mike Angus, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Video for Time Warner Cable said, “We look forward to introducing TWC TV to Xbox 360 and providing customers with this new viewing experience within the home. We are very excited about Microsoft’s vision for entertainment and the vast possibilities Xbox offers.”

At Xbox our vision has always been to provide all the entertainment people want in one place. With Xbox 360 we have a growing entertainment app portfolio of more than 120 voice-controlled apps, and we are happy to expand with the addition of TWC TV. We are equally excited to deliver new entertainment experiences with Xbox One launching later this year, which will allow you to instantly switch from watching live TV to playing a game with the sound of your voice. We will have more details to share about Xbox One entertainment in the coming months.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page