Xbox One Shared Game Library - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Looking for peeps who are planning on getting an Xbox One and want to share a game library! This is a great feature to have, so we should totally utilize it!

Anyone interested in starting a group library? I plan on picking up a few titles at launch, and if we worked it out with a few people, we could potentially have all day 1 launch titles available to play. Obviously if your really big into multiplayer for a particular game, you'll probably want to buy your own copy. But games mostly for single player, why not share the load? (so to speak)

--Ninja

XBL GamerTag: RandomNinjaAtk

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I'm still deciding what games to get. I'm game if you're game. but not if you're a freeloader... wink.gif

it will be nice to get a regular gamertag list of Xbox One gamers going as we get closer to launch time.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Count me in as well, not sure if I will get it day one, but I definitely will get one before 2014 rolls around. Mad Max, Carmagedon Reincarnation, BF4, Quantum break, Titanfall, and Dead Rising 3 as well as a few kinect games for wife and kids are what I would most likely be getting.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #4 of 34 Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

I have the following games on pre-order with amazon:

Ryse: Son of Rome Day One Edition
Forza Motorsport 5 Day One Edition
Dead Rising 3 Day One Edition
Kinect Sports: Rivals Day One Edition
Battlefield 4

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #5 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Still not sure if the "family" will work as we are thinking, But if it does I will be getting a lot of games and am always happy to share though I am not sure what I will be getting at launch yet. I am still looking over the games and figuring out which I will get for XB1 and which for PS4.

That Mad Max game did already make my buy on release list though as I am a fan of both Just Cause games (unless I hear horrible reviews or something) and the thought crossed my mind to get Madden and maybe FIFA to start my games library since they wont have NCAA football or NHL out for the new consoles. Everything else is on my we'll see list.
post #6 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

the funny thing is if we all get the same launch titles, we'll have kind of defeated the plan. tongue.gif

is there an official list of actual launch day titles (or within a month)? not the launch window (which can be months) but actually around launch day?
post #7 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well, if we do have a few people whom are serious about actually doing this, we can really plan it out. I'd say for games that are only really single player, we should split those evenly among the group to buy. For multiplayer games though, I think everyone is on there own for it because the only way to guarantee you can play those when you want too, is to own them.

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #8 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

Well, if we do have a few people whom are serious about actually doing this, we can really plan it out. I'd say for games that are only really single player, we should split those evenly among the group to buy. For multiplayer games though, I think everyone is on there own for it because the only way to guarantee you can play those when you want too, is to own them.

Agreed, I am definitely interested. Don't have much time for gaming anymore, but when I do it is at night between 8 and 12 PM PST after the munchkin has gone to bed. If we plan this right, it could be pretty awesome.

post #9 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
I'll share whatever I get, don't know exactly what that is yet.

Is anyone else excited for titan fall? It looks like it will be fun to play.
post #10 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Titanfall looks amazing. but not out until spring 2014. frown.gif
post #11 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm interested in being in a group, but I think there should be some set guidelines to abide by, and it's probably best to try to find gamers that spend a similar amout of money yearly, that can commit to continue to add games to the library.

Here is how I would run it, if I were setting one up:

1. Group of 10 gamers, 5 in the Eastern timezone, and 5 in the Pacific time zone.

2. Group would have to be willing to commit their entire Family Plan to all 9 other members in the group. (yeah, you might need to get another Xbox One for your kids to use with their gamertag)

3. At launch, we are only committing to buying one unique launch game, specifically for purposes of the game share. Reason being, there just aren't going to be that many compelling launch games that we need to buy more than that. 10 unique titles is good enough.

3. You can buy as many additional games as you want, but that's on you. For launch, only a single game is required for purposes of the club.

4. How do we determine who gets what game ? A lottery system. Just like we are doing fantasy football or something. Somebody will win the No.1 pick and be able to choose any game they want. Then there will be a guy at No.2 and a guy at No.3, etc, etc.

(I say we hold the draft like one week before launch, so we have a good idea of the reviews.)

5. In 2014, we would agree to purchase 4 full priced ($59.99) games, for the purposes of the game share. At least one game has to be purchased before June 2014, the other 3 can be in the back half of 2014. If you want to buy more than 4 full priced games, go ahead, but only 4 for the full calender year would be required.

6. Once you have contributed 4 unique games to the gameshare, you would have the ability to nominate one of your games for sale to somebody on your friends list (assuming the publisher allows that). The group of 10 would vote on whether or not you'd be allowed to sell that game away. Majority rules. Also, the game would have to be at least 4 months old before you can nominate it to be sold off.

7. Each time you've contributed an additional 4 new games to the gameshare, you can nominate one of your previous games to be sold, but again, it has to be at least 4 months old (120 days), and the group of the 9 other gamers would vote on it.

8. The 9 other gamers can only reject 3 sale nominations in a row. After that, the 4th nomination is automatically granted.

9. Once you sell a game, you have to contribute another 4 new, unique games to the club, before you can nominate another game to be sold, and again, that other game has to be at least 4 months old, and the group votes on it. Again, they can only veto 3 nominations in a row.

10. Once all members have fully agreed to the stipulations, you can't argue about this and that. As long as each member is following the guidelines of the club, then everything is perfectly fine. If one member only owns the bare minimum number of games that are required to be purchased, that's his choice. If another gamer is buying 3 new full priced games every single month, that's his choice. One is not better than the other. If you agree to be in this group, you are agreeing to how many games are required, and club members do not need to go beyond those requirements.

So, here is how you would be contributing games over the next several years:

Launch = 1 "unique" full priced ($59.99) game to be purchased within the first two weeks of launch (if any games are delayed into very late November or early December)

that would be a total of 13 games before 2017 begins. However, you could potentially be able to sell off 3 of those games if your nominated game is approved for sale.

Can I buy two unique $29.99 games instead of one $59.99 game ?

Yes. You can buy 6 $9.99 games if you want. As long as it adds up to the price of one full priced game, everything is cool.

Something along those lines....
post #12 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah... so.... I am just going to buy a bunch of games in the coming months/years and anyone here that wants to borrow them is free to join any spots i have left over in my group... then we will see how it goes.
post #13 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL. a committee! smile.gif

I don't think any rigid set of rules will go over well. like the "majority rules" on getting rid of a game. so if I want to sell a game, the majority would have to approve it? or if I don't want a game to be sold but I'm in the minority, it gets sold anyway?

let's play it by ear. I think in the beginning, everyone will have almost the same games anyway since there aren't that many games at launch to have such diversity. and I think we'd have to feel each other out rather than have rules. we each buy the games we want and as people get games, you get a sense of what's "missing" in the library and buy appropriately. we all have other expenses as well and not everyone has the same income level so there has to be some reasonable allowance for that. as long as people aren't outright leeches and buys nearly nothing, it'll work out.

a draft does sound kind of fun. how about we play Killer Instinct and winner gets first choice! LOL (just so you know, I'm totally kidding)
post #14 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

LOL. a committee! smile.gif

I don't think any rigid set of rules will go over well. like the "majority rules" on getting rid of a game. so if I want to sell a game, the majority would have to approve it? or if I don't want a game to be sold but I'm in the minority, it gets sold anyway?

1. First off, when I'm talking about selling games, I'm talking about your "club" purchases. Any games that you buy, that aren't specifically linked to the club, you can sell those games any time you want. Again, we are making no limits on how many games somebody can buy. We just have a "minimum" number of games that must be "linked" to the club. Any other game you get is your business. It's just, if you're going to sell a game that was linked to the club, that has to be approved.
Quote:

I think in the beginning, everyone will have almost the same games anyway since there aren't that many games at launch to have such diversity.

Well, the club requires ONE.... UNIQUE.. game at launch. So, even if you buy a bunch of games that a bunch of other people are buying, that doesn't matter. What matters, is that you contribute to the overall library. We want to have a huge catalog of books to be able to check out of our digital library. To do that, the games need to be "unique". In other words, each game "linked" to the club would be brand new to the club. We are basically building our own private GameFly service. We want to have a wide and assorted library for everybody to peruse.

Quote:

and I think we'd have to feel each other out rather than have rules. we each buy the games we want and as people get games, you get a sense of what's "missing" in the library and buy appropriately. we all have other expenses as well and not everyone has the same income level so there has to be some reasonable allowance for that. as long as people aren't outright leeches and buys nearly nothing, it'll work out.

You have to have hard rules man. Otherwise, there will be drama guaranteed. I'm not saying the rules have to be what I'm talking about, but there has to be some hard rules that all members abide by. Our rules really aren't that harsh. Think about it. At launch, you only have to buy a single game for the club. Now, if you end up with the 10th pick, and have to select Need For Speed Rivals, that might suck but as long as you're getting the 10th pick was totally random, it's cool. If you get the No.1 pick, and get whatever game that you really want, then that is great as well. There is easily 10 unique titles that will be available on launch day:

1. Watch Dogs
2. Dead Rising 3
3. COD Ghosts
4. Battlefield 4
5. Forza 5
6. Madden 25
7. NBA 2K14
8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
9. Ryse: Son of Rome
10. Fifa 14

other options: Kinect Sports Rivals, NBA Live 14, Just Dance 2014 ??

I mean, if you get stuck with a really late pick, and you absolutely hate sports, that would kinda suck I guess, but Kinect Sports Rivals is always a possibility.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

well, if those are the launch titles, there's no way I'm going to get stuck buying a sports titles. there has to be someone that likes sports games in the group. I'd be fine with Ryse, Kinect Sports, Just Dance 4, Zumba Fitness, Forza Motorsport 5, Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts or Watchdogs. I think the others are popular enough to be covered by others.

is need for speed a launch title? I could be up for that (but man, the need for speed series has been really disappointing the last gen).

but if you're going to have some kind of draft, then do it like fantasy football. picks 1-10, then 10-1. so basically the person that picked 10th in the first round gets the first pick of the second round. wow. this talk is so weird... tongue.gif

i guess it's all good and fun for a few months. then all hell breaks out when it gets near launch time...
post #16 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 AM

Liked: 12
Well I will buy every game that I want to play and if anyone wants to borrow it that's cool.

I'm thinking of Cod Ghosts and Forza 5 for XBXO and Mad Max and possibly BF4 for PS4. For now. Maybe FFXV and MGS5. I rarely finish any game anyway.

Anyone know if Halo will be a day one release?

I agree NFS has been very disappointing. But we have Forza so it's okay. I wonder how drive club will do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #17 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Halo won't be this year. I would guess holiday 2014.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #18 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Yeah... so.... I am just going to buy a bunch of games in the coming months/years and anyone here that wants to borrow them is free to join any spots i have left over in my group... then we will see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post

Well I will buy every game that I want to play and if anyone wants to borrow it that's cool.

I'm thinking of Cod Ghosts and Forza 5 for XBXO and Mad Max and possibly BF4 for PS4. For now. Maybe FFXV and MGS5. I rarely finish any game anyway.

Anyone know if Halo will be a day one release?

I agree NFS has been very disappointing. But we have Forza so it's okay. I wonder how drive club will do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ya....I'm in the same boat. I like the enthusiasm Anthony, but all that seems way too complicated and rigid. I understand we need rules, but at the end of the day, they are just video games. I will buy games that I really want.

BF4 is a day one buy for me. Dead Rising 3, Carmageddon Reincarnation, MadMax and Titanfall as well (assuming they get decent reviews). I only have one "real life friend" that I am planning on adding to my family plan, so I am ok with adding 4-5 guys from this forum (leaving me with a few slots in the future if I want to ad any other "real life friends").

post #19 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I'm not in, but had some questions.

I guess I am of the opinion that there is no way MS will allow this to happen, or at most to go very far. At the most, I could see it as a way to get sales for the One at Launch. But I still don't see them allowing this. But who knows, if someone like myself did it then I would certainly feel obligated to buy more games than I have in the past. I've only purchased 3 games the entire last 3 years.

This just seems odd.

Does anybody have confirmation on exactly how this works? (Who am I kidding...based on what little research I have done lately, MS probably has barely released any info about this and everyone is probably completely confused, no?)
post #20 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the thing about all the rules. You can buy whatever games you want for yourself personally. Nobody is saying that you can't buy individual games that you want.

However, if you want to be in the club, then you have to buy a set number of games that qualify for your club purchase. What is the point of having 10 gamers in a club, and all 10 of them buy the same freaking games ? If you're going to do that, then why even be in a club ?

Now, I already know what the response to that is going to be... "Well, I don't really want to have to think about any of this, or have to worry about any of this, I just want to buy the games that I'm interested in, and if somebody wants to share my games fine..."

Well, if that is your take, then don't sign up to be inside a specific club. Just have your normal 10 family member spots, and give them to your kids, close friends, and your good gamer friends if there are any spots left over. No need to join a share club. But if you want to really be in a share club, so you can get a taste of a ton of unique games, like a private version of GameFly. Basically, what I'm talking about is a private version of GameFly. There are some gamers out there that only use GameFly and don't even buy any games. They just rent from GameFly. As far as we are aware, GameFly won't have Xbox One games. RedBox won't have Xbox One games. A game share club is a way for gamers to kindof have their cake and eat it too so to speak.

Also, I don't really think the rules are all that harsh. We are only requiring you to buy a single launch game. Just one single game. Now, do we want the 10 members all buying the same game ? Of course not. When you go to GameFly, you don't see 10 copies of only one single game. You see a wide assortment to choose from. I think that is the biggest benefit of a game sharing program. Again, you can still buy all the games that you're normally planning on buying, but you still have to buy games here and there, specifically for the Game Share Club.
post #21 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

I'm not in, but had some questions.

I guess I am of the opinion that there is no way MS will allow this to happen, or at most to go very far. At the most, I could see it as a way to get sales for the One at Launch. But I still don't see them allowing this. But who knows, if someone like myself did it then I would certainly feel obligated to buy more games than I have in the past. I've only purchased 3 games the entire last 3 years.

This just seems odd.

Does anybody have confirmation on exactly how this works? (Who am I kidding...based on what little research I have done lately, MS probably has barely released any info about this and everyone is probably completely confused, no?)

Yes. I am not sure it will happen like people think it will happen either. I would feel better about it if they referred to it as a "friends and family" plan. By putting the emphasis on "family" I just think its going to be more restrictive then people want. But I have a little more hope now that something close is being considered on Steam.

Really this is not that much different then if a person owned a disk. If they owned the disk they would likely loan that to friends. I probably will still only "borrow" the ones I am on the fence about and probably wouldnt buy anyway (like any zombie game). I will still buy games i like and this could actually get me to buy more games because if i like one a lot I will want to add it to my library and support the game creator ( I do understand that is not a "normal" thing though). It's unclear at this point if it really will cost any sales in the long run since a great many games will be "multiplayer" and people will still have to have copies if they all want to play at the same time as their 10 friends.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's unclear at this point if it really will cost any sales in the long run since a great many games will be "multiplayer" and people will still have to have copies if they all want to play at the same time as their 10 friends.

actually, if you had a 10 person clan that was going to play Titanfall, you'd only need to buy 5 copies of the game, instead of 10, if all the 10 members of the group are all in each other's family plan.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

plan dead... frown.gif

I guess no need for a committee anymore! biggrin.gif
post #24 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

plan dead... frown.gif

mad.gif

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #25 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, we can look back on this thread and wonder how amazing it might have been. It's really unfortunate, because I was kinda getting excited about returning to console-land. Now, I have zero interest in the XB1, and with infamous delayed to 2014, I have zero interest in the PS4 as well. So, it's kindof a really depressing day for me, although it is a huge win for console gaming in general.

Microsoft learned the hard way that console gamers aren't ready to give up all their rights like that.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

God aweful decision by microsoft. It wont help them with the haters and now they just look wishy washy to everyone else that had embraced the potential benifits.
post #27 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, it was more people arguing principles rather than real world usage.

like a console that doesn't require the internet. and yet the vast majority of users do have their consoles connected to the Internet.

the right to pass discs to friends. I haven't done this in a long time. my Xbox friends are scattered across the US. the game sharing plan would've been the best thing. can you imagine sharing all the games that your list of 10 people have? without having to drive somewhere. without having to physically lend your disc and having to wait for the disc to come back to play it.

Now, I actually have to buy every game I want to play. We were already splitting up the launch titles to get 1 title each. buying 1 game to play 10 games...

I don't sell my games to Gamestop. They give you nearly nothing and then turn around and sell it for a ton.

I don't rent games from Gamefly. Gamefly is even worse than ownership! You pay $16-23/month and you don't own anything! and you only get 1-2 games at a time. and if you want to play a new, popular game, it takes forever to get the disc.

it's like people are arguing principles but does it fit their actual buying habits?

going back to the 360 way is okay. it's what we're already used to. but it had the potential to be more. imagine installing the game and being able to ditch the disc. in fact, pack that disc away in the garage for safekeeping.

it's funny that the web sites that are now all bringing up the death of the friends and family share plan made virtually zero mention of the plan prior. Kotaku, you listening?

but it is a win for the people that want a system in the traditional sense.
post #28 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I don't know where this crazy idea came from but I knew immediately it was too good to be true.

I'm starting to wonder if someone is holding MS hostage somehow, and telling them to go out there and say crazy stuff in front of the mainstream camera. Then afterwards they try to save face.

To me, a pretty uninformed gamer, this is just getting very comical, sort of.

This "friends" deal, although to good to be true, sounded like a winning idea. I mean they could have scaled it to back to just 1-3 friends and I would have been in as well as millions of others and I think they would have sold a ton of consoles and games. They could have eliminated multiplayer and I would have been in. They would have made money off of me most likely. Like I said I don't buy many games. Don't know why. Just play the games I like, that is it and I am happy. I don't lend or borrow games from my buddies. I could care less about being able to trade games to Gamestop or lend to friends. I would have preferred to just save gas and purchased digitally at a small discount. It would have been hard to deny myself a capability like this to try out games with friends, with me feeling comfortable that my hard earned money would go to use if not by me, then by my online friends I just think this system would have never worked and they must have known that from the beginning. I still think this was a hoax on some level.

Oh well.

I agree this is a good day for MS, in my opinion, just for the simple fact that they have now gave us the first piece of definitive knowledge about their new console...other than the fact that it will be able to play tv shows too.

I'm not sure where this "friends" deal came from, but they at least acknowledged it was thought about, but shot down. And in my mind this still leaves the door open for some type of future consideration with digital content. Especially if the gaming community asks for some aspect of it in a strong fashion.

Look, maybe we could talk them into doing this on a smaller list of friends scale with digital only content. Something like 1-3 friends. Though I'm sure it would be hard for them to revisit, as they seem to be having enough trouble deciding what they are trying to do here.

For the record I still think they should have just offered a few different systems at launch. One with all the different capabilities they are trying to push on us wiith the XBone. Then a lesser expensive one with no Kinect and no other capabilites other than pure gaming with online multiplayer as a main focus. I would have been a no brainer for a base XBone for $400 with no Kinect. Just wish they could have done this while dedicated all the power to gaming and no tv / app things. Just wish they would have tried the tv / app things as a separate upgrade. Now I am still leaning to PS4, but disappointed it seems they have handicapped that systems as well.

My opinion from a pretty uninformed xboxer.
post #29 of 34 Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:

God aweful decision by microsoft. It wont help them with the haters and now they just look wishy washy to everyone else that had embraced the potential benifits.

No worries. The could change their mind again tomorrow. And then back again the day after. And back again next week. rolleyes.gif
post #30 of 34 Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Above is an example of the futility of this change. The trolls will be even worse now that they have had food thrown at them.

I guess the only good thing of all of this leadership incompetence is that they are definitely getting a lot of airtime in the media (who will of course now point out how they stink for changing their mind, just like the trolls).
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page