wireless router - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Anything but gigabit is basically a non-starter.

I'm prob just gonna have to wait for consumer routers to catch up with my connection.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm actually pretty curious about that ubiquiti router, still. Maybe I'll grab one of those $99 lite models just to toy around with.
post #93 of 98 Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

I'm actually pretty curious about that ubiquiti router, still. Maybe I'll grab one of those $99 lite models just to toy around with.

I looked at the documentation for that router, and man it just seems like the most user-unfriendly nightmare ever created.  I guess that's why it's so cheap! 

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #94 of 98 Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I know this is a somewhat old thread, but my current router is starting to die.

I have been debating between the ASUS RT-AC68u, or the Netgear Nighthawk 1900.

Both were released late last year, probably overkill for home use, but I want a stable router for years to come. My question is if anyone hear has had any experience with either. On Amazon, both have decent reviews, but it seems that the consensus is that the firmware for both is still not completely stable. I do not mind getting the ASUS RT-66u, but I am not averse to getting the latest and 'best' even though more expensive. I am currently leaning towards the ASUS because of historical positive reputation.

The other option is to just wait and get this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by

It is probably what the future of routers will be.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #95 of 98 Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
I've been using the both the D'Link DGL-5500 and the D'Link DIR-868L. The D'Link DGL-5500 (gaming router) is rock solid! I have a Xbox One and Xbox 360 connected directly to this router. I also have the D'Link DIR 868L (used as an AP) connected to the D'Link DGL-5500. I have another Xbox One and Xbox 360 connected to the back of the D'Link DIR-868L. I also have two HP Pro Curve Switches (J9449A). One switch is connected to the back fo the D'Link DGL-5500, and the other switch is connected to the back of the D'Link DIR-868L. All other wired devices are connected to the back of the switches.

The D'Link DGL-5500 has the ability to "prioritize" devices. Works great for gaming!! It also has "Streamboost" technology, another great for gaming!!
post #96 of 98 Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Those features are only needed when you have a limited internet connection. I used to have the Dlink gaming router and then switched to Asus with the Padavan firmware. With my 150mbps FiOS tier I don't need to worry about internet traffic. Even when I had a third of that speed I had no issues, especially with gaming since online gaming uses so little bandwidth.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #97 of 98 Old 03-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Liked: 10
I recommend checking on your ISP services first. Get into a stand alone modem if you just have a dedicated internet line. Motorola SB 6 series modems are the best. If you have an ISP with Phone, TV and internet using a all in one modem, you'll find it sometimes hard to install a external router. I prefer to have a dedicated Internet line and modem for best gaming and internet performances. Most ISP modems are not as robust as external routers. Also depends on how many consoles you plan on gaming online at the same time. QoS configurations are important for gaming alone with using wired LAN connections. Wireless gaming is not recommended as there are many issues with WiFi that can effect gaming performances. Upgrading consoles to AC wifi can be done and in some cases is a good solution. Direct wired connections to the router is best with little router management if possible. I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service. If your ISP UP and Down speeds are 100/100 then QoS may not be needed. Just depends on how good the ISP service is and what your doing on the network while gaming. In some cases, a wireless AP with LAN ports maybe used instead of a router if your ISP speeds are that high. There are good routers out there. I prefer D-Link for gaming and general internet. Rock solid and easy to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

Both were released late last year, probably overkill for home use, but I want a stable router for years to come. My question is if anyone hear has had any experience with either. On Amazon, both have decent reviews, but it seems that the consensus is that the firmware for both is still not completely stable. I do not mind getting the ASUS RT-66u, but I am not averse to getting the latest and 'best' even though more expensive. I am currently leaning towards the ASUS because of historical positive reputation.

The other option is to just wait and get this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by

post #98 of 98 Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

Those two routers will likely go through several hardware revisions before they are "stable" and the revisions may or may not be improvements depending on what they revise under the hood. Sometimes companies put out cheaper revisions with lesser CPU and memory that cut the performance but still call it the same product and sometimes they increase the specs based on customer feedback. Netgear is notorious for doing that with their high-end routers, some of which have 4-6 revisions with different firmware and hardware.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page