wireless router - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 631
need some advice and i will mainly be using it for gaming. I have high speed cable internet and have a 360, ps3, 3 laptops and and ipad that all run off of the router. I don't know much about routers and what would be best.. any advice is appreciated.. thanks

lastly i know the is the 360 forum, this is just about the only place i ever post, also i wanted to know what "gamers" liked.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I recommend the Asus rt-ac66. It is awesome so far and great coverage. It will somewhat future proof you for the next gen wireless standard.

If that it too rich for what you want to spend look at the Asus rt-n66. It is also highly regarded.
bodean likes this.
post #3 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have that Asus rt-n66. If you can find it get that one! It's got lots of power. Both 2.5 and 5G. It runs a bit hot but I've got all my devices on it. PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSVita, Iphone, Ipad. It goes through walls much better than either the dlink or linksys that I used to have. It also has 4 Gigabit lan ports for wired. Thumbs up.
post #4 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I recommend the Asus rt-ac66. It is awesome so far and great coverage. It will somewhat future proof you for the next gen wireless standard.

If that it too rich for what you want to spend look at the Asus rt-n66. It is also highly regarded.

whats the benefit to the ac66 over the n66?
post #5 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Quote:

Simply put...wireless N came out 7 years ago and wireless AC came out last year. Does it make sense to buy 7 year old wireless technology?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #6 of 98 Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
As soon as Amazon gets around to shipping my order, I'll have a TRENDnet AC1750 to replace my screwy Linksis N router. I couldn't find any AC routers that had zero complaints, so I went with one I could afford and could return easily...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #7 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Simply put...wireless N came out 7 years ago and wireless AC came out last year. Does it make sense to buy 7 year old wireless technology?

ahhh, makes sense.. thanks
post #8 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Buying a router now days kinda sux when reading reviews and forums. Most all seam to have issues. I went with the one that seams to get more positive reviews. I got the Asus rt-n66. I would recommend it still. Had mine a few months now.
N speed is fast and ac is faster. If you have the extra money, I would get the ac model. I decided I didn't need the ac speed. The only devices I have that use ac are galaxy s4's. Don't need ac speed for web browsing.
If I understand right, PS3 never got n speed and the 360 had n adapters at first (slim models integrated n later). PS4 and Xbox One both only have n speed. I think they would get to ac speed in the future.
I also don't run my systems on wireless, so again ac isn't needed for me.
post #9 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:

need some advice and i will mainly be using it for gaming. I have high speed cable internet and have a 360, ps3, 3 laptops and and ipad that all run off of the router. I don't know much about routers and what would be best.. any advice is appreciated.. thanks

lastly i know the is the 360 forum, this is just about the only place i ever post, also i wanted to know what "gamers" liked.. thanks

If you are looking for a router just to support the devices you have now, then I'd recommend the last generation Apple Extreme router. It supports wifi-N (802.11n) which is the maximum speed all of your devices can currently use. Should run about $150 bucks. If you are looking for a router to support the devices you have now and future ones, then be advised that a new spec (802.11ac) has been gaining momentum for the past year or so and should become common in the next 2-3 years. Its wifi-AC. Apple just introduced their AC model, it is $199.

While pretty much every major manufacturer makes a wireless routers.. some are harder to setup, configure or are just plain unstable. They constantly require rebooting, unplugging, resetting, etc and can make a for a very troubled experience. A wireless network shouldnt be a headache.. it should be something that works so well you never have to think about it. Which is why I recommend the Apple routers because I believe them to be the easiest to setup, use & most reliable sold on the consumer market. I've had about 10 different wireless routers from all the major manufacturers, in every specification thats been announced so far (B, A, G, N).. and my Apple Extreme router has been by far the easiest, most stable and headache free of any brand I've tried.

The Apple Extreme is also XBL compatible, meaning it works well with XBL right out of the box. Some wireless routers require you to open & configure ports to access XBL. And then apply those ports to every Xbox in your home. The Extreme is also much easier to bridge should you decide to expand your wireless network in the future. I've heard good things about the Asus routers.. but I'd still recommend a "noob" go with the Apple product. Just so much more simpler to setup or configure.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #10 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Anywhere inside my home I get the same speed via wifi whether I'm hard wired or via wifi and all my receding devices r currently only N. I can also go outside my house across the street and sit in my car and then I still get 25mbs down and 10 up.

post #11 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anywhere inside my home I get the same speed via wifi whether I'm hard wired or via wifi and all my receding devices r currently only N. I can also go outside my house across the street and sit in my car and then I still get 25mbs down and 10 up.
So on the Windows Task Manager's Networking tab, you only see 25 Mbps for the Link Speed?

On my laptop connected via N, and nothing but 20 feet or so of air between the router and the laptop, I see 300 Mbps when nothing exciting is going on, but when I play a YouTube video it bounces around between like 160 and 240 Mbps. I wouldn't expect the "link speed" to fluctuate because data is traveling over it, but perhaps it's really a display of Usable Bandwidth Remaining...

post #12 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM

No speedtest.net I get 25mpbs download

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

post #13 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah. You can degrade 802.11N a LOT and still fit 25Mbps through it. Whatever PC Mag does to determine throughput is more pertinent to me. When I copy files from my laptop to my desktop, I want as much N as N can handle...

post #14 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with ac, is that there are no devices out there that will utilize that chipset, unless it is a desktop or laptop with an add-on wireless-ac adapter. Wireless-N for most stuff like the Xbox-360/Nextgen Xbox, PS3/PS4, android tablets, smartphones with wifi capability, blu-ray players, for the most utilize G or N, or a hybrid of both. Regardless what you think yaomizzle, Wireless-G will work for what the OP is doing, unless they have a 100meg down connection from their provider then a Wireless-N will work.

Now on the other hand, if you are in an area that has Google Fiber, or utility provided internet that is 1gig, then yes Wireless-ac will be fine. But on the later, again, you are only going to get at most 100mbps on majority of wired devices like gaming systems, or 150mbps max on anything connected via wifi through Wireless-N, even at 900mbps routers or Access Points. So why waste the money on new technology, that our devices will not even support at this time.
post #15 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Waste of money to go with anything more than G, unless you plan on streaming on your LAN movies or music. Even then again, you are still not going to see 150/300/450/600/900/1000meg speeds when streaming across your LAN, because you are restricted to the chipset in the devices, and the max throughput, which most times is not going to be much more than 30meg. Going outside your LAN, you are still going to have 25meg down, 10 up, so waste of money going with N or ac.
post #16 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Quote:

So on the Windows Task Manager's Networking tab, you only see 25 Mbps for the Link Speed?

On my laptop connected via N, and nothing but 20 feet or so of air between the router and the laptop, I see 300 Mbps when nothing exciting is going on, but when I play a YouTube video it bounces around between like 160 and 240 Mbps. I wouldn't expect the "link speed" to fluctuate because data is traveling over it, but perhaps it's really a display of Usable Bandwidth Remaining...
You are seeing the max rate of the connection to your Access point, not the actual throughput of your connection. Download a large file, starting at 100mb, then jump to 500mb, then to a gb size, and watch the max throughput between the device you are downloading from and your computer. You will be surprised how slow it really is.
post #17 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ah. You can degrade 802.11N a LOT and still fit 25Mbps through it. Whatever PC Mag does to determine throughput is more pertinent to me. When I copy files from my laptop to my desktop, I want as much N as N can handle...
PC Mag is a paid by Microsoft rag. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com is your best resource on any and all networking equipment. Ziff-Davis sold out to Microsoft years ago, when they saw that it was easier to sell garbage to the masses, than write real reviews about equipment, such as they did back in the late 70's, early 80's, when Homebrew computing was the thing.
post #18 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Waste of money to go with anything more than G, unless you plan on streaming on your LAN movies or music. Even then again, you are still not going to see 150/300/450/600/900/1000meg speeds when streaming across your LAN, because you are restricted to the chipset in the devices, and the max throughput, which most times is not going to be much more than 30meg. Going outside your LAN, you are still going to have 25meg down, 10 up, so waste of money going with N or ac.
I used G back in the day to stream video to my 360 via UPnP. N is far better.

And the connection from my router to the cable modem is wired, making the wireless N connection to stuff like my 360 the biggest bottleneck in playing games like Defiance...

post #19 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are seeing the max rate of the connection to your Access point, not the actual throughput of your connection. Download a large file, starting at 100mb, then jump to 500mb, then to a gb size, and watch the max throughput between the device you are downloading from and your computer. You will be surprised how slow it really is.
OK, but instead of a static number like 300, it bounces around. If the changing numbers don't mean something, like "This new number is all the bandwidth you have left", they why should Microsoft change the number?...

post #20 of 98 Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PC Mag is a paid by Microsoft rag. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com is your best resource on any and all networking equipment. Ziff-Davis sold out to Microsoft years ago, when they saw that it was easier to sell garbage to the masses, than write real reviews about equipment, such as they did back in the late 70's, early 80's, when Homebrew computing was the thing.
I miss Byte.

Anyway, sell-out or not, they had numbers, I had a purchasing need, I used their numbers and Google to take a shot at new technology. Down the road, I may actually get AC equipment to use with it. Or I may not...

Looked at smallnetbuilder's review. Not sure I'd have gone with the TRENDnet (I have to start calling it the TEW-812DRU since AC1750 seems to be a speed rating on several routers) based on that review, but the only issues I noticed at Amazon seemed to be DOA equipment. TRENDnet seems to be actively looking for problems at places like Amazon, so I'll see how it goes for me...

post #21 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The problem with ac, is that there are no devices out there that will utilize that chipset, unless it is a desktop or laptop with an add-on wireless-ac adapter. Wireless-N for most stuff like the Xbox-360/Nextgen Xbox, PS3/PS4, android tablets, smartphones with wifi capability, blu-ray players, for the most utilize G or N, or a hybrid of both. Regardless what you think yaomizzle, Wireless-G will work for what the OP is doing, unless they have a 100meg down connection from their provider then a Wireless-N will work.

Now on the other hand, if you are in an area that has Google Fiber, or utility provided internet that is 1gig, then yes Wireless-ac will be fine. But on the later, again, you are only going to get at most 100mbps on majority of wired devices like gaming systems, or 150mbps max on anything connected via wifi through Wireless-N, even at 900mbps routers or Access Points. So why waste the money on new technology, that our devices will not even support at this time.

I disagree.

1) The newly announced 2013 Macbook Air natively supports .11ac wireless. No adapter needed. The bigger news is that from this point on I would expect any newer Apple devices to support .11ac also.

2) Just because G or N will work, doesnt mean its the best buy. The best buy is not having to buy another router down the line.. because you tried to save $20-50 bucks buy purchasing an model that only supports older standards.

3) .11ac routers do not just work faster with .11ac products.. they have also shown a speed increase with .11n products. Around 15-20% speed increase for N products that are connected to an AC router. So you can still benefit from using an AC router, even if you only currently have N products.

4) There is very little to download on the internet that can currently use a 1gb/s connection. There are plenty of files on you home computer & network that could use a 1gb/s connection. Do you share any media? HD video streaming? Most people arent buying an .11ac router because they have Google Fiber. Most people are buying a .11ac router because they are streaming large amounts of data on their home network. This could be anything from the cable provider's DVR box to flatscreens that have built in wifi.

5) Since this is a gaming forum. Has anybody looked into the wireless standard for the new XB1 & PS4? Are they support .11ac? If they are there is no way I'd buy an N router right now.

6) Spending $20-50 more to buy the latest spec is not "wasting money". It is futureproofing. If companies like Apple & Asus are offering stable .11ac routers for just a few dollars more over their older N products. An AC router will not only increase the speed of the your older products, but also that of your newer products. I dont see how that can be considered a waste of money.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #22 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I tried the Cisco/Linksys AC router. Worst router I ever owned. Tons of problems, configuration issues, stability issues.
Now this could have just been the software since it is cutting edge. I wanted an AC router but there wasn't one 50 dollars more expensive that was reliable and readily available in January.
post #23 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Never had any problems with my Trendnet A/P or 5-port switch mikepaul.
post #24 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I tried the Cisco/Linksys AC router. Worst router I ever owned. Tons of problems, configuration issues, stability issues.
Now this could have just been the software since it is cutting edge. I wanted an AC router but there wasn't one 50 dollars more expensive that was reliable and readily available in January.
Doubt it would be router issue, more like a issue with the other end. You are not going to find a Wireless-ac router for $50 at this time. Too new of technology.
post #25 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

5) Since this is a gaming forum. Has anybody looked into the wireless standard for the new XB1 & PS4? Are they support .11ac? If they are there is no way I'd buy an N router right now.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=105189 says the One has 802.11N. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4 says the same for PS4.

Maybe the second or third revision of both will have AC. Unless Sony and Microsoft decide they don't need more bandwidth...

post #26 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never had any problems with my Trendnet A/P or 5-port switch mikepaul.
Thanks. It's due Tuesday...

Just checked. Arrived in town at 9:12AM. Probably too late to make a truck for today, darn it...

post #27 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

It is amazing how many routers have issues like this. I would say more often than not.. the average router on the consumer market is unstable.

Linksys has been a mixed bag for me. The WRT-54GL I owned was absolutely ROCK solid. So much so that I tried TWO different N models from Linksys and ran into serious issues with both. As it stands, I wouldnt give Linksys a try in the future.

And FWIW.. they may be owned by Cisco now.. but Cisco has none of their internals or engineering in the consumer based Linksys products. Its still sh*tty old Linksys! No matter what the the name says.

Trust me.. if you are going AC. I'd recommend Apple first, Asus second, nothing else third. The Apple has Broadcom internals.. which should be the best on the market. Not so sure about Asus.. but wouldnt be surprised if they were Broadcom too.. considering the price.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #28 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=105189 says the One has 802.11N. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4 says the same for PS4.

Maybe the second or third revision of both will have AC. Unless Sony and Microsoft decide they don't need more bandwidth...

Thats pretty disappointing considering these are essentially 2014 products and designed for the "next" generation.. not this one.

But you are right.. wouldnt be surprised to see AC support in a future generation. I believe MS started off with G support, then switched to N. While my slim PS3 still has G support. I dont think Sony ever upgraded the PS3 to N.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #29 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
This was linked a while ago in a different thread - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul (many AVS'ers bookmarked this link)

I know someone already linked this site (great site btw), but this link above specifically shows the capabilities to possibly increase your gaming performance (many people here that play FPS's use the Black Diamond I believe).

Black Diamond:

Total Simultaneous Throughput - 1,268.6 (#2 overall)

WAN to LAN Throughput - 802.4 (#9 overall)

LAN to WAN Throughput - 862.4 (#7 overall)

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything"

XBL - TheLizardKingII

post #30 of 98 Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13 View Post

This was linked a while ago in a different thread - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul (many AVS'ers bookmarked this link)

I know someone already linked this site (great site btw), but this link above specifically shows the capabilities to possibly increase your gaming performance (many people here that play FPS's use the Black Diamond I believe).
This is where I ran into difficulty picking a new router. Not everybody at Amazon thought smallnetbuilder's top performer, the DLink DIR-868L, was their idea of a keeper.

Turns out the FedEx truck did drop off the router today, so I'm unboxing soon and will see how it goes...

No issues so far. Pre-configured security, key on sticker on router. Will change key to something I can remember and is not close to what TRENDnet provides. Will change SSID to Skynet and Skynet5, like I had them before my Linksys went screwy. Unless it hangs up connections or something, it seems to be a keeper...

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page