Xbox Live 'Games With Gold' - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #271 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It was am xbox one. Crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
A few years ago? The Xbox One has been out for 2 years.
post #273 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I thought 360 games were yours forever, but XB1 games required an active gold subscription.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #274 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 252
That's correct, at least as of about a week ago when I last verified it when someone incorrectly stated otherwise at another forum.

XB1 games are only accessible if the account that "purchased' them is connected to XBL and has an active gold subscription. 360 games act just like you purchased them and remain functional even if you let your subscription lapse or play the console offline (With the usual caveats like the necessity for the license to be tied to that particular console if you want to play it offline).
post #275 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's your home Xbox One console, you do not have to be logged in to play your Games with Gold games. During outages, I played my Games with Gold games perfectly fine.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #276 of 344 Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I'm surprised they bothered, considering that gold requirement.

But thanks for the correction for my false assumption that the subscription requirement meant that you actually had to be online for that to be verified when accessing them.

I assume it's some sort of check-in system to handle internet/Xbox Live outages, where you'll lose access after say 24 hours if you don't log back into Xbox Live?

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-17-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #277 of 344 Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm not sure there is a maximum time before a check-in is required. As was stated before, this is only on your home Xbox One, which you must go in to settings and designate, even if you only have a single Xbox One. In the process of moving from Japan back to the states my Xbox was not connected to the internet for over 4 months. I was able to play all my purchased digital titles and the freebies from Games with Gold without issue. Other profiles on my Xbox could also play my purchased titles, I don't recall if they could also play the freebies though. I was very pleasantly surprised, I had expected to only be able to play the games I had physical copies of.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #278 of 344 Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I would believe the home console stores something about your account. And if your account says your Xbox Live Gold will lapse on April 15, 2016, then you will be Gold to at least April 15, 2016 so it would be counterproductive to have daily/weekly/monthly checks if the earliest your Gold disappears is April 15, 2016.

And if you switch another console as the home console for whatever reason (selling it, repairs, etc.), it will terminate that original console somehow.
post #279 of 344 Old 11-18-2015, 01:36 PM

I do remember that I had to connect my Xbox to the internet to make it my home console. I had to tether to my cell phone because I turned off my home internet and wasn't able to play my games. It was after changing that setting that I had no issues. I would then also guess that if I made another Xbox my home console then as soon as my original Xbox was connected to the internet it would "lose" it's status.

I will say that my Xbox had the incorrect date and time repeatedly as I was moving from place to place for 4ish months, it seemed to lose the time after about 12 hours being unplugged. I only noticed when I about had a panic attack because my save files in The Witcher 3 had screwy time stamps. I chose "continue" instead of manually loading a save, it loaded what it thought was the most recent file making me think I had lost 20+ hours of progress. The system always had a year of 2012 when it reset, and the game ignored any save files from the "future."

I suppose that logically it could store your Xbox Live expiration date and cut you off at that point while not caring about any dates prior to that. But then it would be easy to just reset the time manually, or unplug your Xbox over night to turn back the clock and regain access to all your games.
post #280 of 344 Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 PM

I do remember that I had to connect my Xbox to the internet to make it my home console. I had to tether to my cell phone because I turned off my home internet and wasn't able to play my games. It was after changing that setting that I had no issues. I would then also guess that if I made another Xbox my home console then as soon as my original Xbox was connected to the internet it would "lose" it's status.

I will say that my Xbox had the incorrect date and time repeatedly as I was moving from place to place for 4ish months, it seemed to lose the time after about 12 hours being unplugged. I only noticed when I about had a panic attack because my save files in The Witcher 3 had screwy time stamps. I chose "continue" instead of manually loading a save, it loaded what it thought was the most recent file making me think I had lost 20+ hours of progress. The system always had a year of 2012 when it reset, and the game ignored any save files from the "future."

I suppose that logically it could store your Xbox Live expiration date and cut you off at that point while not caring about any dates prior to that. But then it would be easy to just reset the time manually, or unplug your Xbox over night to turn back the clock and regain access to all your games.
post #281 of 344 Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 681
December's Games with Gold were announced.

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/24/xb...+%28Xbox%29%29
post #282 of 344 Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Hmm. Thief did not review well at all. I'm surprised that they're still asking $30 for it. I,might take it for free.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #283 of 344 Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Hmm. Thief did not review well at all. I'm surprised that they're still asking $30 for it. I,might take it for free.
I played it a bit on PC - it's not as bad as I was lead to believe. Well worth a free download to check out.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #284 of 344 Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked Thief. The problem I had was it just felt so claustrophobic and it was hard to tell what you could do and what you couldn't do and where you could go. The game was so dark. I almost felt like turning up the brightness to see where to go.
post #285 of 344 Old 11-25-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I'll download for free.
post #286 of 344 Old 11-26-2015, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Bloody hell my 8 year old lad is not going to be happy ! why don't they include at least one kids game a month ?
post #287 of 344 Old 11-26-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
Bloody hell my 8 year old lad is not going to be happy ! why don't they include at least one kids game a month ?
What sort of thing did you have in mind?

post #288 of 344 Old 11-26-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
What sort of thing did you have in mind?
Dunno ( clue in the rant ! ) a kids game ?
post #289 of 344 Old 11-26-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I bought it for $20 a while ago and played it all the way thru. I had a lot of fun with it as I was able to get into its style of stealth and the world it depicted was very atmospheric. The ending was a bit of a letdown (a staple of Thief games from what I've read) but there is a lot of gameplay beyond the main storyline and the world stays open even after you beat the main quest.

Reviews notwithstanding; download it and decide for yourself. You can't beat the price.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #290 of 344 Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
Dunno ( clue in the rant ! ) a kids game ?

I was sort of asking for the titles of some games which you consider to be for kids. MS and Sony pretty much ceded the children's video game market to Nintendo years ago and neither company does much for owners in that space. Far more of their customers would complain about kiddie games in Games with Gold than complain about the lack of them. Kid friendly games which some adults enjoy are another matter (like Minecraft or the Lego stuff) and they have featured things in that vein as GwG in the past and perhaps should more often but it's unlikely to happen every month.

If you have an Xbox One, this month's Knight Squad seems colorful and silly enough to appeal to an 8 y/o (though it is rated "Teen" for whatever reason).

post #291 of 344 Old 12-21-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 681
The new Games with Gold for Jan. were announced.

On Xbox 360, starting Friday, 01 January, DiRT Showdown ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through January 15th. Then on January 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Deus Ex: Human Revolution ($14.99 ERP) for free through January 31st.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Killer Instinct: Season 1 Ultra Edition ($39.99 ERP) for free during the month of January. Zheros will be available as a free download from January 16th to February 15th.

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/21/xb...inkId=19758735
post #292 of 344 Old 12-21-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
The new Games with Gold for Jan. were announced.

On Xbox 360, starting Friday, 01 January, DiRT Showdown ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through January 15th. Then on January 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Deus Ex: Human Revolution ($14.99 ERP) for free through January 31st.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Killer Instinct: Season 1 Ultra Edition ($39.99 ERP) for free during the month of January. Zheros will be available as a free download from January 16th to February 15th.

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/21/xb...inkId=19758735
Very cool - all games I've been interested in playing!

-JR
post #293 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not a GwG, but The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is free until February 5th. It is also one of the latest batch of BC titles so you can play it on Xbox One.
DaverJ and Weaselboy like this.

post #294 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Not a GwG, but The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is free until February 5th. It is also one of the latest batch of BC titles so you can play it on Xbox One.
I tried Witcher 2 when it was released but just could not get into the game, even after deleting my savefile and restarting several times. It was a well made game but the story and gameplay just never hooked me in and I always lost interest quickly.

Still, as I do with every GwG game, I put it in my download queue then cancelled the download. That way, it is available for download at some future time as long as I remain an Xbox Live subscriber if I ever decide I want to give it a go.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #295 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so people are clear, The Witcher 2 is not a Games with Gold game and I'm not sure why it's in the Games with Gold thread. Xbox Live Gold is not even a requirement so if you have Xbox Live Free, you're entitled to it too. Whether you have a 360 or a One, you get the game.
post #296 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Just so people are clear, The Witcher 2 is not a Games with Gold game and I'm not sure why it's in the Games with Gold thread.

I did state that it was not a GwG; I posted it just because it's temporarily free. The post is not nearly as off-topic as many I could cite.

post #297 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

this isn't a matter of being off-topic. it's blatantly wrong. People should know that you don't need Gold to get The Witcher 2. Being in the GWG thread suggests it requires Gold and is a Games with Gold game. Sure makes sense to me, being in the GWG thread.

And so people are clear with GWG games (which The Witcher 2 is not a Games with Gold game). Only 360 games remain yours if your Gold lapses. Any One games revert to non-ownership once your Gold lapses (but will come back if you decide to renew again).
post #298 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
this isn't a matter of being off-topic. it's blatantly wrong. People should know that you don't need Gold to get The Witcher 2. Being in the GWG thread suggests it requires Gold and is a Games with Gold game. Sure makes sense to me, being in the GWG thread.

And so people are clear with GWG games (which The Witcher 2 is not a Games with Gold game). Only 360 games remain yours if your Gold lapses. Any One games revert to non-ownership once your Gold lapses (but will come back if you decide to renew again).
Perhaps it could have it's own thread. However, 99% of my AVS reading is by Tapatalk notifications to threads I'm subscribed to. Had it only been in a new thread, I'd have missed it.

He stated it did not need gold, so I don't see the harm. You either don't have gold and wouldn't be reading this thread anyways, or you do have gold (like me), and appreciate the heads up. If you don't have gold, are reading this thread, and have poor reading skills, perhaps you'd think it was a gwg game.
Weaselboy and Rashman like this.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #299 of 344 Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I also posted the information in the general Xbox One thread.
Weaselboy and Rashman like this.

post #300 of 344 Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 AM

so what we got for Feb then ? :-)

is it the witcher 2 ? ...only kidding ! :-)
onlysublime likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page