Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 187 Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 754
They've got eight years worth of games, some of them megahits. To their credit, they have given us Fable III, Assassin's Creed 2, Dead Rising 2 and Halo 3 (all of which I already owned the DD of except DR2 rolleyes.gif). The best of everything 2 y/o or older should be being offered up. Sure, throw out an arcade game now and then but every month should feature a popular major release title. They're only made available for a couple of weeks.
AutoWobble likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
have to agree. So far this is crap compared to PS+. I mean, I'm getting Resogun free day 1. For 360 there are literally dozens of great full titles that are in the bargain bin they could easily be giving out.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #93 of 187 Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Okay someone explain to me why people keep saying this is competing against PS+ at the tail end of a generation that none of these games move forward to the new systems? People buy Gold to play online. This was never started to get more members to get Live. It s free games for appreciation for being a member. Not sure why the continous comparison to a program that has been around for 2 years and the whole point of the program is to generate money for Sony. Especially now that online on the PS4 is behind the paywall. If Kameo comes it comes and if it don't does it really matter?

The 5.0 is here
post #94 of 187 Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Because they're now essentially equivalent services going forward. One consistently over-delivers, the other is a laughing stock.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #95 of 187 Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

...the whole point of the program is to generate money for Sony.

And MS is giving us Games with Gold out of the goodness of their hearts? It's obviously a "me-too" line item which begs to be compared with PS+ "free" games. (Kameo is just an example of an oldie-but-goody that would be perfect; it's an MS Studios release and giving it away wouldn't lose much in sales).

I wouldn't call it a "laughing stock"--they've given out some good stuff. They're just not being very consistent.

post #96 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Because they're now essentially equivalent services going forward. One consistently over-delivers, the other is a laughing stock.

Why is Games with Gold a laughing stock? It boils down to what you view as a value I guess. While PS+ has had the better freebies it's also playing catch up in the popularity dept. with Live and I think as we go on should PS+ prove wildly popular you'll see MS be more consistent with their releases. It'll be a balancing effort and while I hope it doesn't happen I could easily see Sony being less giving with their freebies should they see the kind of traction Live has had over the years.
Weaselboy likes this.
post #97 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not comparing the overall services, just the free games part. The difference in quality and quantity between them is so plainly obvious that it doesn't need explanation.

post #98 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

I'm not comparing the overall services, just the free games part. The difference in quality and quantity between them is so plainly obvious that it doesn't need explanation.
isn't it convienent to only focus on one part of the service now?
Weaselboy likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #99 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the point is that you can focus on that particular part of the service when you take the whole into account. If the roles were reversed and we're all on PSN as a paid service and it's MS trying to play catch up do you really think Sony would be giving us the deals they're giving us? Sony is playing catch up and they have a good thing going. I hope they keep it up because it means MS will eventually have to relent and start offering better free game or disount perks with Live. So far though for the freebies being only a few months old we have had some good games given away. It's not like it's been all crap just that it could definitely improve.
Weaselboy likes this.
post #100 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

isn't it convienent to only focus on one part of the service now?

Well, that's what the thread is about.

Seriously though, even if PS plus didn't exist, GWG would still be kind of a joke.

post #101 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Well the point is that you can focus on that particular part of the service when you take the whole into account. If the roles were reversed and we're all on PSN as a paid service and it's MS trying to play catch up do you really think Sony would be giving us the deals they're giving us? Sony is playing catch up and they have a good thing going. I hope they keep it up because it means MS will eventually have to relent and start offering better free game or disount perks with Live. So far though for the freebies being only a few months old we have had some good games given away. It's not like it's been all crap just that it could definitely improve.

I agree 100%. It just strikes me as a really lame way to check off a box on a list of features without actually competing. It's not like there's some technical issue preventing them from giving more or better/newer games....they can step up their offerings on a moments notice, they're just choosing not to.

The difference is that the IGC on plus is a huge selling point. GWG is just a meh little bonus. Seriously, if I believed that GWG would become as valuable as IGC, I'd buy an X1 for it alone.

post #102 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah hopefully Sony will be so successful with PS+ that it will force MS to take it more seriously. Right now just two free games a month isn't enough when you consider everything + gets you. Still though they have to start somewhere so hopefully they have bigger plans. It'd be just like MS to half ass it as long as they can with no real explanation. Better late than never though I guess.
post #103 of 187 Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah hopefully Sony will be so successful with PS+ that it will force MS to take it more seriously. Right now just two free games a month isn't enough when you consider everything + gets you. Still though they have to start somewhere so hopefully they have bigger plans. It'd be just like MS to half ass it as long as they can with no real explanation. Better late than never though I guess.

Yeah, it does give me a little shred of hope for the future. I can see free games simply becoming part of what people expect to get with both memberships.

post #104 of 187 Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
That World of Kerfuffle is less than 400 megs. Does it continue to download more stuff while you play? Game looks like an old first gen iphone game. I noticed there is also a free poker game available for download at around 1 Gig. Ah the perks of having a Gold account.
Gamestop will give me 60 bucks for my xbox 360. I could use that money for something more 2013.
post #105 of 187 Old 11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Gamestop will give me 60 bucks for my xbox 360. I could use that money for something more 2013.

I notice that they're selling a "Gamestop Reburbished" Slim for $160; nice mark-up rolleyes.gif. I see recent completed auctions on E-Bay where used 250GB Slims sold for $120-$130.

post #106 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This month's 360 Games with Gold are Gears of War and an arcade game called Shoot Many Robots. Gears isn't a bad freebie, despite being 7 years old (hope for Kameo yet lives biggrin.gif); I may grab it just to have the DD available should I choose to play through it again. Nothing for Xbox One as yet.

post #107 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

This month's 360 Games with Gold are Gears of War and an arcade game called Shoot Many Robots. Gears isn't a bad freebie, despite being 7 years old (hope for Kameo yet lives biggrin.gif); I may grab it just to have the DD available should I choose to play through it again. Nothing for Xbox One as yet.

Lol gears of war 1. That's almost more laughable than kameo.

I swear they're intentionally keeping the joke running. They have to be.

post #108 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The original Gears was a very good game. What's so great about what Sony's been offering lately? Except for Resogun for the PS4 there hasn't been anything interesting. (I don't have a PS4 and wouldn't be interested in Resogun if I did).

post #109 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The original Gears was a very good game. What's so great about what Sony's been offering lately? Except for Resogun for the PS4 there hasn't been anything interesting. (I don't have a PS4 and wouldn't be interested in Resogun if I did).

Don't get me wrong its a great game, but who hasn't played it by now? As long as their primary offering is popular games from 5+ yearss ago, GwG has basically zero value to anyone who keeps up with gaming. I'd rather get lesser known contemporary games.

post #110 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
While we are arguing PSN+ vs GWG, the PSN network is down again due to the European launch. This is why Xbox live will always be superior in my book to PSN+. The xbox live network is very solid and it barely has the issue I have encounter with PSN so far. The biggest difference here is that PSN+ free games are only yours until you keep your subscription while GWG are free forever. Big difference if you ask me. I do agree thought, Resogun is a pretty darn good game and for this month, PSN+ wins in terms of game giving for free.
post #111 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I'll give Sony credit for at least offering more recent games as part of their program. Titles like Hitman: Absolution, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Dogma and the remastered versions of Ico and Shadow of Colossus are all less than three years old. The offerings on 360 consist mainly of games that have probably played out to their intended audiences years ago or obscure XBLA games in very niche genres. I own all four consoles: PS3/360/PS4/Xbox One so I don't have a horse in this race but in terms of bang for the buck when it comes to game downloads, I've gotten a lot more use of PS+ than Games with Gold.
post #112 of 187 Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
post #113 of 187 Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Next Month's free games are Sleeping Dogs and Laura Croft Guardian of Light.

http://majornelson.com/2013/12/30/xbox-live-gold-members-get-sleeping-dogs-lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-free-in-january/

I thought i read somewhere or heard that they were only doing this till the end of this year (2013). Not that I'm complaining :D

Glad to see that it is going to continue and can't wait to get Sleeping Dogs! 

Already own Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, bought it when it first came out -  its a great game, especially when played co-op with a friend.

post #114 of 187 Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
This was posted on Twitter back in November.

Xbox @Xbox

Heads up future #XboxOne owners. Access to free games each month is coming for Xbox Live Gold members on #XboxOne . Details coming in 2014.

post #115 of 187 Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Sleeping Dogs is the first truly great game that I've wanted that I didn't already have. Excited! Queued up but will download later.
post #116 of 187 Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Liked: 17
Weird question: If I delete a "Games With Gold" game that I got for free, for example: Fable 3, in order to make space for other things (Yup, 20 GB model here), can I download that same game later on, when it's not being offered?

In other words, does downloading a "Games With Gold" game count as making a purchase? Anybody know?

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #117 of 187 Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Sleeping Dogs is the first truly great game that I've wanted that I didn't already have. Excited! Queued up but will download later.

Me too. But its another game pulling me away from "The One" and my PS4 which i really need to play something other than resogun on to justify buying it.
post #118 of 187 Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

Weird question: If I delete a "Games With Gold" game that I got for free, for example: Fable 3, in order to make space for other things (Yup, 20 GB model here), can I download that same game later on, when it's not being offered?

In other words, does downloading a "Games With Gold" game count as making a purchase? Anybody know?
Yes--the game belongs to you and will be in your Download History (they have made it very difficult to find that page rolleyes.gif); from there you can click the "Add to queue" for any title.

Have there ever been any Games on Demand titles which have stopped being offered? I've bought video titles which stopped being available to buy but I was able to download my owned copy.
AutoWobble likes this.

post #119 of 187 Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor RoXo View Post

Already own Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, bought it when it first came out -  its a great game, especially when played co-op with a friend.

yeah, after they closed the loophole in the Lara Croft game with an update (a major loophole where I owned the game and could invite a friend who didn't own it to play it with me), I was stuck halfway through the co-op campaign. Now, I can play with any of my friends. biggrin.gif
post #120 of 187 Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

yes, once it's in your download history, you can download it even if it gets removed from the marketplace. Now, I know they can permanently remove some items like movie promotion things, themes, etc. So for those, once you delete them, you're unable to get them again. But I've always been able to download games even if they're removed from the marketplace. Games like the Atari/Midway games like Joust I can download at any time if I erase them. the Games with Gold doesn't have any special distinction. you're just buying it for free.

In fact, most of the Games with Gold games, I haven't actually downloaded them (due to lack of HDD space). But they're in my download history for the future. In fact, I started to download Gears of War but ended up canceling again and erasing the partial download.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page