Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey Leo,

Was this released already? I thought it was going to released later in the month? Maybe that's just for the Xbox.

-JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
You're indeed correct.

Apparently the domestic release is far later than everywhere else and isn't until the end of the month. The review floodgates opened several days ago and fooled me.
post #33 of 36 Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

For a second I was all excited (no pun intended, but that's also the second time this has happened in this thread) and went online to see if I could pick it up last night.

I checked out some reviews, and they are fairly average which doesn't really surprise me. I'm not sure how much more they can do until the perform an entire overhaul - which perhaps they'll do next round (hope there is one!).

Leo, I think you play (or have played) online quite a bit with F1 2012? I've just started doing this and have noticed that some players seem to swerve wildly back and forth across the track, making it almost impossible to pass without colliding and either getting a penalty or knocked off the track.

Is this a lag issue, or is it some horrible strategy?

-JR
post #34 of 36 Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm actually a bit behind with these games. I had wheel issues and it held me back from continuing for a while since I really don't like the gamepad with these games. So I only have F1 2010 and F1 2011. F1 2012 will be my next stop since it's likely going to be taking a dive in price here in the coming months. So I'll probably be playing F1 2013 around a year from now.

They're pretty solid reviews though when you realize that this is the 4th iteration of the franchise and that on the surface each largely seems comparable to the past several releases. Seems like they've improved many facets of the game since 2012. But it's definitely a polishing job and the only significant addition seems to have been the Classics content.

Apparently, Codemasters just recently extended their license so next gen entries should be guaranteed. And since I suspect that they're going to be continuing to build on their Eco engine, hopefully that means there won't be a year gap in their support like how they took an extended time when they first acquired it before releasing a game (They had SumoDigital create a PSP/Wii F1 2009 and the first true Codemasters game didn't arrive until 2010).

With four new tracks next season including a new US track (Easily the largest schedule in F1 history which is only a win for gamers), two alternating Grand Prixs which further changes up the track roster from that of 2013's, and the first complete revamping of Formula One's "formula" in years with turbocharged engines returning after decades and completely new cars, I think they're going to have a very interesting season to model next year.

And their stated support of Classics mode and wanting to continue and expand upon it is also nice. I just assumed this was a carrot to get people to purchase a game that many fear is a mere roster update at the end of a system generation and would be a casualty at least for now as they transition to next gen hardware and face new demands. But they talk as if they plan to keep it up and expand upon it.
post #35 of 36 Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like Codemasters made a bit of a mistake with their Korean track. It still has the old pit exit which after watching practice for this weekend's F1 race just now is completely revamped. Instead of almost immediately dumping the driver out into the racing line for Turn 1. it extends significantly further and more safely merges pit lane back with the track.

I hope it was a last minute fix that couldn't be reflected in time for the game rather than carelessness since little changes like this are one of the reasons why you buy an annual update in the first place along with general improvements & enhancements.

Where Tilke tracks are concerned, this is one of my favorites. I like the kink/dip on to the main straight, the tree lined straightaway, and the wind swept location between the ocean and a mountain range that makes for entertaining weather.

Toss in some natural elevation changes and get rid of the mickey mouse last 1/3 of the track with the characteristic Tilke bend after bend that no fans or drivers seem to like and it would actually be a pretty nice place from the fan's point of view watching it on tv and driving around it in Codemaster's games.
post #36 of 36 Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for posting Leo, I also wonder if that'll be corrected.

I finally got the game (digital download on Xbox Live) and put a couple of hours into it this weekend, just wrapping up the Young Drivers test.

It sure feels different than F1 2012, and the differences will take some getting use to for me. The two largest ones are the wheel spin on acceleration and how the car responses to the kerbs. I'm having a tough time with the wheel spin, it seems that no matter how gentle I am with the controller trigger for gas, it'll still spin out. There is also an odd rev lag, which I can't figure out, which makes it feel like the car is hitching. Almost the same feeling you get when you go off the track in F1 2012 and the rev gets auto-limited. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it's odd and make the F1 car feel like an beat up low powered car, which doesn't seem right.

The kerb effect I actually do like, since you get a true sensation of the car getting unsettled when you go over them - and also like you're actually going over something. smile.gif In F1 2012 I've always been aggressive with the kerbs since they just feel like soft bumps, but in F1 2013 they really seem to have the car catch on them, and they also feel higher, which I like.

I'm still getting used to the game. There is a strange wheel snap that happens too, which I can barely describe but occurs when I turn hard right or left. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was challenged and unable to get golds in all of the Young Driver tests. I'll give those a shot this evening.

Leo, if you do get the game, I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

-JR
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page