Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #301 of 385 Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sure wish they would convert some of the other Gladiator maps to single player mode, only 3 maps to grind with is getting old when friends are not available.
Still love playing it though.
JuiceRocket likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 385 Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree, it would be nice. I wonder why this limitation is there.

-JR
post #303 of 385 Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Yeah, that bugs me too; I've played those three maps to death but I haven't seen the co-op maps. You'd think that they'd add some solo maps in the DLC packs; my Season Pass hasn't been a very good investment. I did get the worship-able god statues, arrow launcher events and the Commodus armor façade. There's Legionary armor coming in the next pack.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #304 of 385 Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Problem is some of the MP maps are designed for two players (ie: one player stands on a switch to allow the other player to perform a task). Still, more single player gladiator arenas would be welcome; I pretty much stopped playing the game after finishing the campaign and reaching level 100 in the gladiator mode.
post #305 of 385 Old 02-18-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yeah, that bugs me too; I've played those three maps to death but I haven't seen the co-op maps. You'd think that they'd add some solo maps in the DLC packs; my Season Pass hasn't been a very good investment. I did get the worship-able god statues, arrow launcher events and the Commodus armor façade. There's Legionary armor coming in the next pack.

I'm with you, so far the Season Pass hasn't done much, and to top it off, my friends who didn't by it don't really have any reason to - since they can play the maps I unlocked with the season pass as long as I host the game.

-JR
post #306 of 385 Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Near the end of the single player campaign there's...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...a section set in the Colosseum, with Marius dressed up as Damocles. You start out battling some barbarians on a beach with a bunch of other gladiators, then segue into fighting a group of barbarians on your own, then into killing some archers with pila, all leading up your big showdown with multiple Commoduses (Commodi biggrin.gif?).

It's a very complex map--does it correspond to any of the co-op maps?

post #307 of 385 Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Near the end of the single player campaign there's...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...a section set in the Colosseum, with Marius dressed up as Damocles. You start out battling some barbarians on a beach with a bunch of other gladiators, then segue into fighting a group of barbarians on your own, then into killing some archers with pila, all leading up your big showdown with multiple Commoduses (Commodi biggrin.gif?).

It's a very complex map--does it correspond to any of the co-op maps?

Not really. There are a couple of maps that do have elements of this. If you'd ever like to play online just to check out the maps - no pressure - let me know. I can show you the maps that have elements of what you're describing in them.

-JR
post #308 of 385 Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 830
I just purchased this last night and tried it out for fifteen minutes. It seems interesting.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #309 of 385 Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I picked it earlier this week, and I am having fun with it. My biggest problem is I am so used to the Batman combat system so when I see someone coming from behind I automatically try to counter as I would in Batman by hitting Y. The combat system was so close anyway I wish they would have gone all the way and used Y as the block button.
post #310 of 385 Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I picked it earlier this week, and I am having fun with it. My biggest problem is I am so used to the Batman combat system so when I see someone coming from behind I automatically try to counter as I would in Batman by hitting Y. The combat system was so close anyway I wish they would have gone all the way and used Y as the block button.

getting out of trouble is easier in Batman. you just roll over their backs and get out. Marius can't do that! tongue.gif
post #311 of 385 Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Many reviewers complained about how short the campaign was, but it certainly doesn't seem at all short when played on Legendary. The boss battle segments can be frustrating indeed. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I couldn't believe how tough killing Commodus was; you have to defeat the 5 fake Commodi and then the real Commodus with whatever health you have left. Health regains from executions are reduced and damages from enemy blows enhanced. I'm finally into the stupid "Barbarians at the Gate" scorpio segment; I'm sure that it'll be just as much fun as the first time around rolleyes.gif. No scorpios in any sequels, please!
biggrin.gif
JuiceRocket likes this.

post #312 of 385 Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought it at the DD price drop and finished the campaign on soldier in about 5hrs. I searched around and found at least half of the collectibles. I tried to stop and smell the roses and take it all in but I really wanted to see the story progress. The only thing that bothered me was how close you follow behind Marius during a lot of the moving from one area to the next. I understand it was likely done to make you feel more like you were Marius in the environment but when trying to find the next objective etc it wasn't so easy to find my way sometimes. Overall I give the game a B+ and I think since it's nowhere but up on this means well for the sequel.

Are we having fun yet?
post #313 of 385 Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRocha View Post

I understand it was likely done to make you feel more like you were Marius in the environment but when trying to find the next objective etc it wasn't so easy to find my way sometimes.

You have to look around for the little eagle emblems but even then it's not always clear where to go next; one criticism that I have of the game.

post #314 of 385 Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just picked this up during the DD sale, and I have been very impressed. Great story so far (I only just finished Chapter IV). It really is like playing a movie with the great voice acting and storyline.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the guy above, except that I didn't just finish Batman. I just finished about 65 hours of AC4 and its add-ons Aveline and Freedom Cry. Very hard to get used to the different button layout, especially for countering. I am starting to get adjusted to it, but it is taking awhile.

I also really like how you can use the companion app to help find the collectibles. The short videos usually give you just enough information to find collectibles without providing too much to spoil the areas ahead.

I still can't quite get the Perfect Hits timing down, but I am hoping to get a better feel for that soon as well.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #315 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Season Pass is on sale today (and today only) for 33% off!

-JR
dbburns likes this.
post #316 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Season Pass is on sale today (and today only) for 33% off!

-JR

That figures. I got the SP when I got the DIgital download for $40. I knew I should have waited until later to get it.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #317 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Still showing as $19.99 for me. Is this the same BS as some people getting x amount of dollars (where x is $0, $5, $10, $15, or $20 based on some random event) off of an Xbox digital download of $45 or more? Me thinks I got the shaft again. Thanks MS! Ah well, I probably wouldn't have spent too much time in MP anyway, but I sure was ready to spend the money.

post #318 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That figures. I got the SP when I got the DIgital download for $40. I knew I should have waited until later to get it.

I hear you, I bought it full price back when it was first released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Hmm. Still showing as $19.99 for me. Is this the same BS as some people getting x amount of dollars (where x is $0, $5, $10, $15, or $20 based on some random event) off of an Xbox digital download of $45 or more? Me thinks I got the shaft again. Thanks MS! Ah well, I probably wouldn't have spent too much time in MP anyway, but I sure was ready to spend the money.

I can't find it discounted either...odd.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/11457/ryse-son-of-rome-season-pass-on-sale-today.html
post #319 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I see the problem. That article is dated the 25th. Darn.

post #320 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey, booted up the One and saw that something from Ryse is downloading? what is the download?
post #321 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

hey, booted up the One and saw that something from Ryse is downloading? what is the download?

If you bought a season pass it's probably the Mars' Chosen pack. 3 maps for a new co-op mode called "Survival", 1 other new co-op map (I think) and a Legionary skin for multiplayer.

post #322 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you bought a season pass it's probably the Mars' Chosen pack. 3 maps for a new co-op mode called "Survival", 1 other new co-op map (I think) and a Legionary skin for multiplayer.

but that's the thing. I don't think I bought anything besides the original game of course.
post #323 of 385 Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

but that's the thing. I don't think I bought anything besides the original game of course.

I think the confusion is that it seems that everyone receives a "mini" download, which is basically just a pop-up screen telling you that the two DLC's are ready to download should you a) have a season pass or b) want to buy them.

If you click past the pop up screen, you then need to go to the DLC on the lower right of the main Ryse page on your Xbox. Once in there scroll over to select the DLC. If you've already purchased them, you can simply click "install" and they'll install!

-JR
post #324 of 385 Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mars' Chosen Pack Trailer (Click to show)

I tried playing Solo Gladiator mode the other day and after playing the game on Legendary it's pretty boring (it had become moderately boring before, having played enough rounds to reach rank 200, though it was somehow oddly soothing biggrin.gif). I almost never felt compelled to use Focus. They need difficulty levels for Gladiator mode.

post #325 of 385 Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It appears the recent update caused me to lose 15% of my SP progress for some reason.

I was at 88% and now I am at 73%. confused.gif

Jason
post #326 of 385 Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Mars' Chosen Pack Trailer (Click to show)

I tried playing Solo Gladiator mode the other day and after playing the game on Legendary it's pretty boring (it had become moderately boring before, having played enough rounds to reach rank 200, though it was somehow oddly soothing biggrin.gif). I almost never felt compelled to use Focus. They need difficulty levels for Gladiator mode.

I dived head first into mp last night for the first time. Spent a good 3-4 hours on it and had a lot of fun. Ranked up to level 8 or 9.

Level 200???? Wow. I assume you have all the highest tier gear unlocked (level 8 I think). What have you found is the best combo to get super high combos? my highest is 80 I think. Also, what's the best way to earn gold? I only seem to earn about 200 or less each round. Is it tied into how "enraptured" the crowd is?

Is there a way to upgrade the amount of focus bars you can fill up? I assume it's tied to higher tier gear.

What the hell is the point of XP? Strictly just a method to rank leaderboards?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #327 of 385 Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I dived head first into mp last night for the first time. Spent a good 3-4 hours on it and had a lot of fun. Ranked up to level 8 or 9.

Level 200???? Wow. I assume you have all the highest tier gear unlocked (level 8 I think). What have you found is the best combo to get super high combos? my highest is 80 I think. Also, what's the best way to earn gold? I only seem to earn about 200 or less each round. Is it tied into how "enraptured" the crowd is?

Is there a way to upgrade the amount of focus bars you can fill up? I assume it's tied to higher tier gear.

This helped me get gold faster than what I was doing.

post #328 of 385 Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

To quote myself from above:
Quote:

I'm wearing all Tier 5 gear (the highest, unlocks at rank 90) except for some Tier 4 gauntlets because they give me 2 additional Focus capsules. My attributes are:

• Crowd Bonus: 1%
  • XP Gain: 2%
  • Health Regen: 52%
  • Health Amount: 30%
  • Health Capsules: +1
  • Focus Gain: 100%
  • Focus Amount: 20%
  • Focus Capsules: +3
  • Inventory: 4 Pilas

I used to wear one of the cover outfits (mostly Commodus' golden get up), but now I let the gear that I'm wearing show so that I look more like an actual gladiator.
Quote:

I have no idea what good crowd bonus or XP is. The highest combo I've hit was 192, using Jupiter's time-slowing focus power. You have to do a lot of boasting (left bumper) between waves to keep the combo from timing out.

post #329 of 385 Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayook View Post

This helped me get gold faster than what I was doing.

Pretty good tutorial! I wish I'd seen that when I started playing Gladiator mode. The one thing that I learned from it is that the enemies will take 9 hits. Once the little skull pops up I'm afraid of killing them before I can execute them; he got lots of extra hits by continuing to strike them after that point. Nice smile.gif.

post #330 of 385 Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pretty good tutorial! I wish I'd seen that when I started playing Gladiator mode. The one thing that I learned from it is that the enemies will take 9 hits. Once the little skull pops up I'm afraid of killing them before I can execute them; he got lots of extra hits by continuing to strike them after that point. Nice smile.gif.

It is a great video! I gave it a shot last night. It was really tough for me to adapt to the style. I'm so used to using the force push and methodically striving for perfect hits, that I'm awful at the super fast button mashing that happens when things are slowed down.

I was able to kinda get a hang for it after a couple of rounds, but was only breaking the 100 combo mark, nothing higher than 105.

It's also still very odd to play with Jupiter, since it feels like there is almost no way to die. Like you said, it's starting to feel pretty boring and it really needs some sort of difficulty level.

I gave the survival mode a shot with a public gamer twice. Interesting, but it didn't feel like a game mode that was anything more than a distraction from the other modes. I'm at level 82 or something, I'll grind it out until I finish the achievements, and then I'm probably pretty done with the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great and I've dedicated a ton of hours to the SP and MP, but it's starting to lack long term diversity. If they can add something more dynamic - like a difficulty level - new enemies - that would help.

-JR
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Ryse Son Of Rome Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page