post #92 of 380 Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

I could not resist buying this. I know the reviews were not great but the footage just wanted me to play it. So far completely satisfied.
Agreed. Combat has not been all that stale or repetitive yet. The Voice commands are nice to throw out when you are in the thick of battle as well.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #93 of 380 Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I could only afford a single game until next month and I chose this one. I'd better really like it biggrin.gif.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #94 of 380 Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Okay, I bought the 3 games at Toys R Us and none of the TRU's I went to had the Day One editiond5. It's still available for purchase online but all sold out at the stores. So if anyone has no need for the Day One bonuses, let me know.
post #95 of 380 Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

I picked up an XBO last night at midnight along with only Ryse and played for about an hour. Wow. Seriously...wow. The visuals in this game are truly something spectacular. I was expecting the visual showpiece of the launch titles to be BF4...but Ryse sets the bar even further. The facial animation is unlike anything I've ever seen and goes a long way in telling a believable story. It really has to be seen in person to be believed. The motion capture, environments, lighting and attention to detail is superb.

Granted, I'm early on...but I'm enjoying the combat. It's certainly not the button-masher that I thought it would be as it rewards timing and punishes mashing. I understand that it doesn't change much from there...but it'll allow you to master the combat system over time because it certainly won't come easy. The story is also excellent so far...of course I'm a sucker for history stories and all things gladiator...but I'm finding it engaging and believable.

2 cents.

Agreed 110%. Made it through the first 3 chapters in about 3-4 hours taking my time and dieing a lot. Set the difficulty to Hard (centurion) and it can be pretty challenging at times. Visuals are astounding. Haven't done multiplayer yet but I'll have to try soon.

Thx for the rivals recommendation, played it for about an hour and it looks and plays great.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #96 of 380 Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now these are new gen graphics! Worth the cost of admission just for the pretty visuals.

I've only gotten through the opening battle and the little tutorial with Marius' father. I stopped for a break as barbarians invaded their home. Time to get back at it smile.gif.

post #97 of 380 Old 11-23-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This game does have its frustrations. It often leaves me with a task that I have no idea how to complete like "Lower the bridge for Leonitus". What bridge, how? Many games would give you strong guidance like zooming out and focusing in first on the nearby rack of pilas and then zooming out and focusing in on the rope that you need to break. I fumbled around trying to figure it out until at some point it says "use pilas to affect distant objects" at which point I picked up a pila and scanned for a highlighted target.

I've never played a melee combat game where avoiding getting hit was so important smile.gif.

post #98 of 380 Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I just started the Smartglass companion for this game. It is pretty nice in that it tells you the location of all the hidden collectables and includes a 5 second video clip. very very cool (that being said I still missed some collectables as I made it to a check point and could not go back). It also tells you where your friends are in the campaign progress and how they are doing. I know this was supposed to be included in Xbox 360, but I think only Forza Horizon is the only game that did it well. Apparently all the Xbone games are to have smartglass companions, but I do not see it for killer instinct. I need to play some of the other games and see what the smartglass interations will be like. I use my Surface RT as it is very slick with the touch screen and is big/small enough not to be distracting.

Smartglass I think will give another dimension to gaming.
Chris Rein likes this.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #99 of 380 Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I'll have to play with it some more; I couldn't get it to do much of anything interesting. It wouldn't display any of the Ryse Manual. Also I'd really love for it to rotate into landscape view on my OG Nexus 7 running KitKat (the Ryse Companion at least is shaped that way and obviously the home screen is) so that I could use the stand built into my cover. Of course I could get a cheap rotating stand so that I could stand it up in portrait view.

They show pictures of the frickin' app in landscape view on its Play Store page rolleyes.gif. Maybe a Nexus bug. EDIT: Won't display in landscape on my HTC phone, either.

post #100 of 380 Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 202
So my impressions of this game having just finished it on Centurion (Hard):

I don't suggest playing on any lower difficulty. Its about 10-12 hours depending on how many times you die. You do not need to do the executions. You can kill enemies without executing them but you need executions to regenerate health, gain focus or bonus experience. It is way more than QTE, too. If you learn the animations you can anticipate the next move. Pressing the button before it lights up generates more points. The combat is much more engaging than it first appears. As you progress through the game you level up your skills with points you earn from generating combos. Each successful strike you land earns a combo point multiplier which resets any time you get hit. So the whole point is to string together as big of a combo as you can. Now, don't make the mistake I did and fail to level up your executions! You can level up focus, health, etc. but you can also purchase new executions! I went through the whole game without realizing that. I had one time where the game hard locked. A quick Xbox go home, start Killer Instinct and restart Ryse solved the problem. If you are digital, swapping games is lightning fast. I loaded up the Legendary difficulty and started playing and it is extremely difficult. You have to have mastered the combat, especially deflection in order to succeed here. There are hits / deflects and then perfect hits / deflects. Essentially if you don't get a perfect deflect you're going to get hit on Legendary -- and it hurts! After spending about an hour dying over and over, I suspect finishing Ryse on this difficulty will be a significant bragging right.

I swapped over to multiplayer and this has some replay value. Its the same basic idea as multiplayer in Mass Effect except it is just 2 people. You fight in the Colosseum in completing various objectives based on themed areas from the game. You earn gold in this mode which can be used to purchase upgrade packs. You can upgrade sword, shield, armor and potions. I played that for a couple hours today and I'd like to do it a bit more before I start working on Legendary.
post #101 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the Mini review C. Kingsley. I'm playing on Normal and I find this game harder then I thought. If there about 3 guys or more then I know I am going to get hit. I am to busy attacking and not paying attention to remember to do a shield block on one of my behind attackers!
The Outcast likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #102 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

So my impressions of this game having just finished it on Centurion (Hard):

I don't suggest playing on any lower difficulty. Its about 10-12 hours depending on how many times you die. You do not need to do the executions. You can kill enemies without executing them but you need executions to regenerate health, gain focus or bonus experience. It is way more than QTE, too. If you learn the animations you can anticipate the next move. Pressing the button before it lights up generates more points. The combat is much more engaging than it first appears. As you progress through the game you level up your skills with points you earn from generating combos. Each successful strike you land earns a combo point multiplier which resets any time you get hit. So the whole point is to string together as big of a combo as you can. Now, don't make the mistake I did and fail to level up your executions! You can level up focus, health, etc. but you can also purchase new executions! I went through the whole game without realizing that. I had one time where the game hard locked. A quick Xbox go home, start Killer Instinct and restart Ryse solved the problem. If you are digital, swapping games is lightning fast. I loaded up the Legendary difficulty and started playing and it is extremely difficult. You have to have mastered the combat, especially deflection in order to succeed here. There are hits / deflects and then perfect hits / deflects. Essentially if you don't get a perfect deflect you're going to get hit on Legendary -- and it hurts! After spending about an hour dying over and over, I suspect finishing Ryse on this difficulty will be a significant bragging right.

I swapped over to multiplayer and this has some replay value. Its the same basic idea as multiplayer in Mass Effect except it is just 2 people. You fight in the Colosseum in completing various objectives based on themed areas from the game. You earn gold in this mode which can be used to purchase upgrade packs. You can upgrade sword, shield, armor and potions. I played that for a couple hours today and I'd like to do it a bit more before I start working on Legendary.

Kingsley, if you're looking for some co-op multiplayer, let me know, I'd be happy to join you in the colosseum!

I'm still early into the game, but am enjoying it. The leveling up is confusing - thanks for the tip on leveling up the executions. I'm still not using the d-pad as I should. I wish there had been a bit more training on that in the early game.

Although the game itself doesn't seem all that challenging (I haven't gotten stuck anywhere yet), I'm finding the colosseum to be very difficult. Trying to deflect and counter so many people at once...I just can't seem to get it to work. After about 10 tries, I still only got to "round" 3 once. Even though it's tough, it's a great place to better your skills for the SP side.

-JR
post #103 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Even though it's tough, it's a great place to better your skills for the SP side.

You know you're probably right--I hadn't even tried that. You got your regular guys, guys with shields and the occasional non-deflect-able attack that you have to roll to avoid. Executions come up and they don't register with me until it's too late to perform them perfectly. Developing "situational awareness" is key and an environment with unrelenting attacks to practice against would probably help.

post #104 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You know you're probably right--I hadn't even tried that. You got your regular guys, guys with shields and the occasional non-deflect-able attack that you have to roll to avoid. Executions come up and they don't register with me until it's too late to perform them perfectly. Developing "situational awareness" is key and an environment with unrelenting attacks to practice against would probably help.
All of the attacks can be deflected but timing on hard attacks has to be impeccable. You have to really wait for it or you'll be early and get hit. A perfect block will deflect any attack and often it leaves the opponent stunned briefly or lowers their guard.

The game isn't really a button masher, you have to use some pacing. You shouldn't press the button to attack until the previous hit lands and you get points for these perfect hits in addition.
post #105 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

All of the attacks can be deflected but timing on hard attacks has to be impeccable. You have to really wait for it or you'll be early and get hit. A perfect block will deflect any attack and often it leaves the opponent stunned briefly or lowers their guard.

The "hard attacks" being the guys outlined in red (suggesting to me the use the the red button)?

post #106 of 380 Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "hard attacks" being the guys outlined in red (suggesting to me the use the the red button)?
Yes, you can use the red button and roll away but you can also deflect it when timed properly. Wait for it...
post #107 of 380 Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just curious--has anyone playing this purchased coin? The mechanism doesn't work for me; I was just wondering how much it costs.

post #108 of 380 Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried out the gladiator mode last night and only lasted two waves..... yikes. Seems fairly deep and I like how you can use your accumulated XP/Valor to purchase new items/clothes/weapons that give boosts to health/xp/focus/damage.

Could be a blast in co-op and working as a team.

post #109 of 380 Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I tried out the gladiator mode last night and only lasted two waves..... yikes. Seems fairly deep and I like how you can use your accumulated XP/Valor to purchase new items/clothes/weapons that give boosts to health/xp/focus/damage.

Could be a blast in co-op and working as a team.

It's fairly challenging when you do it all alone - the sheer number of enemies on screen makes it really problematic to do much more than block, block, roll, stab once and repeat.

Playing co-op is absolutely where it's at! It's incredibly fun, with the various levels having specific goals that ratchet up the intensity. Your co-op player can go down and be revived, and there are truly times when you're back to back fighting off the barbarian hordes - good stuff.

The first time I played co-op with my friend we were laughing with glee when we performed our first co-op execution.

It does take some time to attain gold, but the purchase system is similar to the one used in ME3.

-JR
post #110 of 380 Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I picked this game up over the weekend and I am really enjoying it. It's gorgeous, the story is cool, and the combat is pretty fun.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #111 of 380 Old 12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I picked this game up over the weekend and I am really enjoying it. It's gorgeous, the story is cool, and the combat is pretty fun.

I have been surprisingly impressed with Ryse so far.

It without a doubt the best looking XB1 game I have tried. The story is pretty good and the voice acting is to notch. Combat is fun while a bit simplistic.

It deserves much better than it has been receiving in reviews and press.......guess they had to pick something to be the punching bag of release titles. I would have picked DR3 myself.......very disappointing and hardly next gen looking IMO.
post #112 of 380 Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

I have been surprisingly impressed with Ryse so far.

It without a doubt the best looking XB1 game I have tried. The story is pretty good and the voice acting is to notch. Combat is fun while a bit simplistic.

It deserves much better than it has been receiving in reviews and press.......guess they had to pick something to be the punching bag of release titles. I would have picked DR3 myself.......very disappointing and hardly next gen looking IMO.

Agreed, the cut scenes are pretty entertaining and the story so far for me is pretty engaging. The cutscene from Chapter 3 to Chapter 4 (entering swamp land) was pretty entertaining, although there were definitely a few uncanny valley moments with the new flamboyant protagonist that is introduced.

post #113 of 380 Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I cannot believe that I played through 70-some-odd percent of the campaign without knowing how to trigger executions rolleyes.gif. I just watched a GameTrailers review which explained it. I somehow triggered one now and then by chance. The XP gain is tremendous. I'm fairly sure that the game never explained it. Now I feel like I need to play through again just because of that.

post #114 of 380 Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cannot believe that I played through 70-some-odd percent of the campaign without knowing how to trigger executions rolleyes.gif. .
You are referring to what I think it the RT button one the Skull indicator is above their heads? I think you Must start playing through again, but on a harder difficulty stetting now wink.gif

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #115 of 380 Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Quote:

I cannot believe that I played through 70-some-odd percent of the campaign without knowing how to trigger executions rolleyes.gif. .
You are referring to what I think it the RT button one the Skull indicator is above their heads? I think you Must start playing through again, but on a harder difficulty stetting now wink.gif

That's exactly what I'm taking about. There are resources online which explain this, like this controls section of the Ryse wiki at IGN.com, but I somehow never got around to reading them. Life sucks, you die tongue.gif.

post #116 of 380 Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I could've sworn there was something about it in the opening tutorial sequence.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #117 of 380 Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I play through again I'll find out. It really increases the fun factor and I'm sure that it would have been less of a struggle to level up.

post #118 of 380 Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I just started the game a few days ago and loving the game so far. I agree that so far its the best XB1 game I have played so far.

Also it does tell you about the executions in the beginning of the game. It was one of the first things that it showed.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #119 of 380 Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

It does. The very first guy you fight will have the game pause when the skull pops up over his head and it tells you to do executions using the RT.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #120 of 380 Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

It does. The very first guy you fight will have the game pause when the skull pops up over his head and it tells you to do executions using the RT.

I must have just blanked on it. It really makes life a lot easier given that health recovery after a well executed execution is tremendous. It's especially fortunate that I learned about it now, since I'm near the end of the game and frequently facing members of the Praetorian Guard, who are a cut above your average barbarian.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Ryse Son Of Rome Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page