AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

http://news.xbox.com/2013/12/games-ryse-free-update

I actually saw the new free stuff while playing solo gladiator yesterday: the automatic mass flaming arrow bombardment turrets are just as bad as the catapults. I also saw one "reward statue" but I didn't notice what I got for praying to it. It was glowing green so I pressed "A" on the pad while facing it. I'll have to check for the new outfits.

I'm getting pretty good at this, winning most rounds that I play. I unlocked Apollo's shield and am working to get Jupiter's sword. I wish that there were more maps to play solo and that difficulty and rewards would ramp up along with my rank (maybe they are but I'm just not perceiving it). I guess I'll have to start playing pick-up co-op. There are tons of co-op maps.

One thing I've learned to do is take out those turrets, catapults, bunkers and archers first, running from opponents if necessary. It makes things so much easier when you're not being harassed by deadly projectiles.
I picked up the Colosseum pack this morning. Not a bad price I think for what you get. I was a bit bummed when I went to Solo mode and still saw the same three maps in rotation. May need to team up with someone from here and do the Arena mode. I hate playing with Random people. I do like the Commodus skin you get too.

EDIT: Well I was Stupid I did realize that this was part of the Season pass which I had purchased, so I double dipped on this!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
How do you run in Co-op? I thought it was LB that made you run in SP, but in COOP that makes you pump the crowd up.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #183 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

How do you run in Co-op? I thought it was LB that made you run in SP, but in COOP that makes you pump the crowd up.

It's clicking and holding the LS that makes you run.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #184 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I don't think you need to keep the stick pressed. Just click once and you will sprint for a few seconds.
post #185 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Quote:

I don't think you need to keep the stick pressed. Just click once and you will sprint for a few seconds.

I've always thought that if you keep it pressed you keep sprinting. As I said above in gladiator mode I try to take out turrets and catapults and archers ASAP, running from opponents to do so. I use sprint for that. Perhaps I should be clicking it repeatedly. I'll have to play with it.

BTW, in SP the LB is used for commands, like "Fire Volley"--you can either say it or hit the LB.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #186 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, in SP the LB is used for commands, like "Fire Volley"--you can either say it or hit the LB.
I think the LB is only used for that when situation arises that for the "Fire Volley"/LB commands. I think when that is not in play for audio commands the LB is used for running. I thought earlier in the game the SP tutorial said to use LB to sprint, but I could be wrong.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #187 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I think the LB is only used for that when situation arises that for the "Fire Volley"/LB commands. I think when that is not in play for audio commands the LB is used for running. I thought earlier in the game the SP tutorial said to use LB to sprint, but I could be wrong.

Yes, you are right, I remember thinking to myself how weird that they mapped the fire volley command and the run command to the same button while i was playing the SP campaign.

Nevermind, just found this, I guess I was totally wrong:

Arutha_conDoin likes this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #188 of 385 Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

The Veni, Vidi, Vici achievement is pre-credits. I couldn't sit through what seemed like 15 minutes of credits.

That sucks, my game must have glitched out (again). I finished the game on the 2nd hardest difficulty (hardest was locked), sat through the credits, and nothing. I even checked my timeline - 100% completion.

Ugh.

I'm going through the game on the hardest difficulty now, here's to hoping I get the achievement this round. frown.gif

-JR

post #189 of 385 Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Those automatically generated clips are supposed to be deleted if you don't save them, but they apparently stick around for quite a while. I looked at a clip from a few weeks back, before I learned how to trigger executions (having somehow failed to internalize the lesson in the beginning rolleyes.gif). It was pretty funny. I'm being ganged up on by 8 or 9 barbarians; I have a long full focus bar that I'm ignoring and there are a couple of guys with skulls over their heads, begging to be put out of their misery. I lose the fight whereas today I'd have taken that little gang down so fast. Replaying this on a higher difficulty level should be even more fun than the first time around smile.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #190 of 385 Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I bought the game, stuck it in, and it said there was a 3GB update. When it finished, I ejected the game. It said the installation was interrupted. I put the disc back in and the game started up and took me to the title screen. Something to worry about?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #191 of 385 Old 12-21-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

I bought the game, stuck it in, and it said there was a 3GB update. When it finished, I ejected the game. It said the installation was interrupted. I put the disc back in and the game started up and took me to the title screen. Something to worry about?
Try doing a hard rebeoot. Hold the Power button done for 10-15 seconds and let the system restart from the ground up. Sometimes I get some games that hang and it needs a reboot in order to get them to quit dumping me to the deskotp. You may just trry a simple power on/ff first and see if that fixes it. That has worked in the past for me too.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #192 of 385 Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Winning a round of solo gladiator mode with Mars or Diana as your patron god is difficult. Mars' damage increases can actually make things harder, since it becomes difficult to not kill an enemy before you execute him. I don't see where Diana's XP increase is particularly useful. (What good is XP in this game anyway? Does it increase gold or valor)? Neither of their focus effects are as helpful as the slow-your-enemies-down effects you get from Jupiter and Apollo.

"
" -- hookbill
post #193 of 385 Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Winning a round of solo gladiator mode with Mars or Diana as your patron god is difficult. Mars' damage increases can actually make things harder, since it becomes difficult to not kill an enemy before you execute him. I don't see where Diana's XP increase is particularly useful. (What good is XP in this game anyway? Does it increase gold or valor)? Neither of their focus effects are as helpful as the slow-your-enemies-down effects you get from Jupiter and Apollo.
As near as I can tell, there is roughly a 10:1 correlation between XP and gold so that is the value. I prefer Jupiter, myself, because the easiest way to get XP is by stringing larger combos. I played with a guy yesterday and he had a combo over 300. I've managed about 150. A good team of Jupiter + Diana working together can produce a ton of XP.
post #194 of 385 Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys are tons better than me; I don't think that I've exceeded a chain of about 50. I really need to work on my block timing.

I may give up on getting the bonus equipment for Mars and Diana. I've gone through about 10 rounds with Mars as my patron god and always gotten creamed by the barbarian leaders. Again, I need to work on perfect blocks cause it's mostly getting hit by the Glott clone. With Jupiter and Apollo I'd just invoke focus and cut him down while he was in slow motion; the other guys would then be manageable.

"
" -- hookbill
post #195 of 385 Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

As near as I can tell, there is roughly a 10:1 correlation between XP and gold so that is the value. I prefer Jupiter, myself, because the easiest way to get XP is by stringing larger combos. I played with a guy yesterday and he had a combo over 300. I've managed about 150. A good team of Jupiter + Diana working together can produce a ton of XP.

Holy crow man - that's an amazing combo!! I think the highest I've gotten was low 50's. Please offer up some tips on how to make longer combo strings - even when playing with someone else I always feel like after 40 or so hits, pretty much everyone is dead!

If you're ever online between the times of 9-midnight PST, let me know, it'd be fun to play and learn.

I'm only level 14 MP, the highest I've seen of another MP player is 17, but I've only played a handful of MP public matches. It seems like most of the time people play one round and then dump out. I do my best to team with them, but I haven't had any ever use voice (or at least I don't hear them and they don't respond to me), so a lot of it is me running around doing my best to help out where I can.

-JR

post #196 of 385 Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Holy crow man - that's an amazing combo!! I think the highest I've gotten was low 50's. Please offer up some tips on how to make longer combo strings - even when playing with someone else I always feel like after 40 or so hits, pretty much everyone is dead!

If you're ever online between the times of 9-midnight PST, let me know, it'd be fun to play and learn.

I'm only level 14 MP, the highest I've seen of another MP player is 17, but I've only played a handful of MP public matches. It seems like most of the time people play one round and then dump out. I do my best to team with them, but I haven't had any ever use voice (or at least I don't hear them and they don't respond to me), so a lot of it is me running around doing my best to help out where I can.

-JR
Hit the left bumper after combat ends, your "boasting" allows you to store your combo for a period of time, maybe 15 seconds or so. You can also use the bumper while some guy is charging you from 20 feet away. As long as you are talking, the combo doesn't go away and you can casually hit deflect when they get near. One of the biggest problems in MP is pairing up with someone who goes all hack'n'slash and doesn't perform executions. Well timed executions gain you 2-3 combo points per move in the execution. Use focus powers frequently and don't just save for the boss battle. Also, if you're in a time stop focus power, just rapidly hit X until the execution icon appears, then execute -- don't hit Y and push people away ever. While you're in an execution, focus isn't depleting. When people do that more than once in a battle, I leave after the round is over. Don't fight too close to your team mate because it is hard to properly deflect blows that may or may not be headed for you. It is good to stay close enough, though, to perform co-op executions. And Jupiter + Diana is probably the best combo once you get to the point where don't need the health boost.

Those are some simple ones off the top of my head. Also, some maps are better than others -- try out Round to Round to get an idea. "The Rabbit" is awful and you shouldn't even bother trying to get combo points. And as far as ranks go, it tends to match you up with someone who is fairly close to you on the leaderboard.
post #197 of 385 Old 12-24-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Hit the left bumper after combat ends, your "boasting" allows you to store your combo for a period of time, maybe 15 seconds or so. You can also use the bumper while some guy is charging you from 20 feet away. As long as you are talking, the combo doesn't go away and you can casually hit deflect when they get near. One of the biggest problems in MP is pairing up with someone who goes all hack'n'slash and doesn't perform executions. Well timed executions gain you 2-3 combo points per move in the execution. Use focus powers frequently and don't just save for the boss battle. Also, if you're in a time stop focus power, just rapidly hit X until the execution icon appears, then execute -- don't hit Y and push people away ever. While you're in an execution, focus isn't depleting. When people do that more than once in a battle, I leave after the round is over. Don't fight too close to your team mate because it is hard to properly deflect blows that may or may not be headed for you. It is good to stay close enough, though, to perform co-op executions. And Jupiter + Diana is probably the best combo once you get to the point where don't need the health boost.

Those are some simple ones off the top of my head. Also, some maps are better than others -- try out Round to Round to get an idea. "The Rabbit" is awful and you shouldn't even bother trying to get combo points. And as far as ranks go, it tends to match you up with someone who is fairly close to you on the leaderboard.

Thanks for the tips! It sounds like I need to use the boast more strategically, I've just been doing it whenever I had a break, but didn't follow up with it.

I've always been very focused on the executions, sometimes even angling enemies against objects to get environmental executions and other stuff. When I play with my friend, we wait for the last person and always try a double execution.

I also tend to use the pilums and even the stationary crossbow thing quite a bit, I wonder if those end combos?

Also, if you don't have the season pass and haven't purchased the recent DLC, can you play with others who have?

-JR

post #198 of 385 Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I finally won a solo round without a slo-mo focus effect, using Diana. I put on every health-enhancing piece of gear that I owned and got much more attentive to dodging strong attacks, not being very good at pulling off perfect deflects.

Mars is still problematic. His boon is added damage factor, which works against me since after a point I start killing minions with single blows and rarely get to perform an execution.

"
" -- hookbill
post #199 of 385 Old 12-25-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Just recently started the game. I am about halfway through the campaign and I keep buying upgrades.

However, I am not sure what I am buying. When I buy an execution, am I buying a new move and a boost in the direction pad effect?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #200 of 385 Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've suddenly gotten much better at solo gladiator mode. Wearing all of my most health enhancing gear, I've been winning all of my rounds with Mars as my patron god. I'll get his bonus sword yet biggrin.gif!

I really ought to go ahead and finish the campaign. I became annoyed at a Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
scorpio segment during a barbarian attack on Rome
and just lost interest.

"
" -- hookbill
post #201 of 385 Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
On third chapter and I gotta say, this game is great! Stunning visuals and visceral combat is a blast!
post #202 of 385 Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

On third chapter and I gotta say, this game is great! Stunning visuals and visceral combat is a blast!

This series has a lot of potential.  I did enjoy it a lot but I do feel it could use a bit more variety in enimies and fights, and they could use some better puzzle type things.  Story telling could use a boost too.  But apparently they got the director for God Of War acension so hopefully we see the series improve a lot. 

post #203 of 385 Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Having obtained Mars' and Diana's sword and shield in solo gladiator mode, I have to say that the time slowing focus powers of Jupiter and Apollo makes it far too easy to win rounds. Those powers are unbalanced weapons.

Hopefully Crytek is working on some follow-up titles. Now that we've covered a little of the decline of Rome under the rule of Nero maybe go back a few decades and cover the civil wars which led to the end of the Republic.

"
" -- hookbill
post #204 of 385 Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I had my first online session with Ryse today, a few rounds of gladiator co-op, and had a lot of fun (other than the batteries in my controller dying at one point and my scrambling for a few minutes to plug in some replacements). There were some interesting game scenarios (killing couriers, moving carts, etc.) that are not available in solo modes. I chose Zeus as my god and my partner chose Mars and we also had quite the easy time of it.
post #205 of 385 Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I had my first online session with Ryse today, a few rounds of gladiator co-op, and had a lot of fun (other than the batteries in my controller dying at one point and my scrambling for a few minutes to plug in some replacements). There were some interesting game scenarios (killing couriers, moving carts, etc.) that are not available in solo modes. I chose Zeus as my god and my partner chose Mars and we also had quite the easy time of it.

You mean Jupiter; Zeus is a Greek god. I would like to play coop but I hate playing with randoms.

"
" -- hookbill
post #206 of 385 Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean Jupiter; Zeus is a Greek god. I would like to play coop but I hate playing with randoms.

My bad; and my gamertag is XboxPhantom for anyone around here.
post #207 of 385 Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
found this on ebay for a song, popped it in and waited to install over the weekend. The games looks great! The sound is a little low though and on the skils screen some of the words are too damn small and hard to read. Of course, I'm not even playing this, the wife is playing through this and ACIV at the same time.

Thankfully I read through this thread prior to her starting, otherwise, she wouldn't have known to restore health by pressing the dpad down and doing the execution among other things. Again, not playing this, just watching her play. I'm more COD and she's more ACIV/Ryse/Uncharted

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #208 of 385 Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

found this on ebay for a song, popped it in and waited to install over the weekend. The games looks great! The sound is a little low though and on the skils screen some of the words are too damn small and hard to read. Of course, I'm not even playing this, the wife is playing through this and ACIV at the same time.

Thankfully I read through this thread prior to her starting, otherwise, she wouldn't have known to restore health by pressing the dpad down and doing the execution among other things. Again, not playing this, just watching her play. I'm more COD and she's more ACIV/Ryse/Uncharted
At least you can get her to play. My wife will play some games (usually simple ones) but anything that requires her to think she will not touch (most games).

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #209 of 385 Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
she doesn't care what system it is, she previously finished Uncharted 2 and 3 with 2 being the one remembered.

The tried to get into ACIII but was just not her cup of tea. She's liking ACIV so that should keep her busy for a little while. I will then have to justify getting another XBOne for TitanFall for the basement which the basement also needs finishing

ugh! so much money needing to be spent!

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #210 of 385 Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 13
Finished this today, I really enjoyed the story. Already restarted on Legendary!
JuiceRocket likes this.

Gamertag: x klem x
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Ryse Son Of Rome Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page