Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 385 Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
some more info is slowly trickling out for this game which is starting to look mighty impressive.

here's the latest trailer that shows the tech and the fantastic use of performance capture by Andy Serkis's (Gollum from Lord of the Rings) The Imaginarium company. Ryse will use the brand new CryEngine. The cowriter and art director was a film/TV guy brought in to produce a great story. Up to 12 actors were simultaneously captured, using 127 cameras:

Comic-Con 2013 had a great Ryse panel. Here's the full panel with captions:

27:06 for the awesome trailer!
31:41 more processing power in plume of smoke than the entire Xbox 360.
44:17 talking about multiplayer and more combat mechanics.
32:35 talking about Ryse and SmartGlass.
16:24 second trailer.

They talked about the controversy over the combat mechanics. Apparently, most of the combat elements weren't ready in time for the E3 presentation so they used the most ready code which was the QTE combat segments so that was chosen for E3. The actual game will have more variety in combat. At Gamescom and PAX, they will show more combat mechanics as well as the multiplayer. However, they will show them via playable segments rather than writing a new demo since they are working to finish the game rather than spend time writing a demo.

it's a super long panel so some highlights:
  • The Marius character alone has over 700 joints, over 230 blunt shapes in his face. Multiple layers of simulation for things like his cloth, his leather straps. Just the smoke plume toward the end of the trailer uses more processing power than the Xbox 360 alone.
  • SmartGlass functionality has been expanded from the version on the 360 (check out Build 2013's presentation on the new API and how SmartGlass is different for this new generation: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/2-703). For Ryse, they made the SmartGlass independent of the game which means can be loaded at any time irregardless of what is currently running on the Xbox. So you could be playing one game while setting up Ryse (such as the multiplayer matches). Or you can bring up the built-in strategy guide on the SmartGlass device that parallels where you are in the game in case you get stuck. You can load up the SmartGlass app while at work and see where your friends are in the game, check out any game DVR, etc.
  • The Ryse comic book is being drawn by Sami Makkonen, the artist for Hellraiser and Dead World.
  • They will debut more combat mechanics at Gamescom and PAX as well as the multiplayer. Apparently, most of the combat elements weren't ready in time for the E3 presentation so they used the most ready code which was the QTE combat segments. However, they will show the new combat via playable segments rather than spending time writing a new demo since they would rather use the time to finish the game.
  • Multiplayer will somehow involve the Roman Colosseum. All he says is, "So Roman Colosseum, not the way you think, more at Gamescom. It’ll be awesome."
  • It's a linear action adventure game with some freedom to roam on large maps but they ensure that you get from point A to point B to point C.
  • There are some fantasy elements to the game (and recently added (after this video) that there are some RPG-lite features).
  • The art design is described as combining classical Rome with art deco to create something that looks Roman but looks distinctly Ryse. The original design for Ryse was a medieval game but it later became Rome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 385 Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
thanks for the information. If they can make the combat similar to how Rune handled hand to hand weapon combat, that would be awesome. I played the hell out of Rune on my mac back in the day and it was also the first game I ever played online multiplayer with. So fun.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #3 of 385 Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for posting the break-out information, it's really helpful. Cool stuff, I'm looking forward to this game!

-JR
post #4 of 385 Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Props to mboojigga for finding this...

Autodesk hosted a User Group event in Anaheim, CA on July 23, 2013 which was an event to cover uses of Autodesk products. Microsoft was invited because Autodesk Maya was used for Ryse: Son of Rome.

Highlights from video:

Art design: Combined American Art Deco with traditional Roman design to give a fresh look.

Chris Evans, art technical director at Crytek, did the presentation for Ryse. He worked at ILM [Industrial Light and Magic] on Transformers and Avatar.

Ideas of Ryse started after Crysis 2 was finished.

Originally started on 360 for Kinect. Transitioned to Xbox One. Rebuilt a lot of their development pipelines. Crytek’s first really big story-driven game.

Goal of cutscene quality graphics during gameplay. So wanted the characters to have cutscene level detail.

Marius character has about 150,000 triangles. And that's with all of his armor, all of his swords, everything.
He has about 500 deforming joints. 260 of those are in his face.
He has 230 corrective blendshapes running on his face at LOD 0. These corrective blendshapes just serve to keep the joint rig on model at all times.

A runtime wrap-deformer so it's a bit more like a film pipeline.

It was their first big virtual production project and first experience using Autodesk Maya. Switched to Maya mid-development cycle to speed up production. Worked with The Imaginarium [Andy Serkis’s performance capture studio]. Sometimes had 12, 13 actors on stage, all together. Suited up, head cam’ed, everything. Acting off of each other. All of it piping into the engine. Huge data collection required. Created scene description file format because of data needs. 12 people on stage, all talking together, you really are generating tons of data, and you need to be able to record the props, the cameras, what character, what head is on who, who’s talking, what actor is playing this guy.

They built a modular rigging pipeline. We break everything down from characters to character parts to rig parts. Everything has metadata. It’s all generated by Python. About 7000 lines of Python for a character.

New workflow allowed one toolset across all parts of the character, all characters. No more rig-specific tools anymore.

Facial tech: updated our facial pipeline to allow for 8 skinning influences. And if you look at the face here, we now update the normals on the face for blendshapes and for joint translation and some of the things that game engines don't do really well.

Destruction pipeline: switched to a cache-based pipeline now. Demonstrated how fast they can now take art/3D models they created and be able to integrate it into the game engine quickly.

Maya allowed them to outsource some work to multiple VFX vendors.
mboojigga likes this.
post #5 of 385 Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Ryse revised: How Crytek altered combat for the better

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/ryse-son-of-rome-preview-gamescom-2013/

The 5.0 is here
post #6 of 385 Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Ryse: Son of Rome Gladiator Mode Trailer & Screens

Gamescom: Don't Worry About Ryse: Son of Rome
No, it's not all QTEs after all.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/microsoft-announces-independent-developers-xbox-initiative?abthid=521334d0c709a1b06c000010
freemeat likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 385 Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Polygon has a great (and very detailed!) article. Check it out:

very quick excerpts below (check out full article!):

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/20/4638282/ryse-son-of-rome-xbox-one-crytek-gamescom-preview

Coming out of E3, people thought it was all flash and no substance," said Patrick Esteves, design director on Ryse, "but I think when people get their hands on it they will think differently because they will realize there is a deep combat system that requires a lot of mastery and then on top of that, it looks beautiful."

The hands-on demo dropped Roman Marius Titus into a grassy arena framed by a circle of massive rocks to face off against waves of barbarian enemies.

Chambers called the battle arena an internal testbed for the game's combat system, but it felt polished enough to be an official mode in the game.

The point of the demo is survive increasingly difficult waves of enemy barbarians. Players can deflect attacks with Titus' shield or do two different types of attacks with sword or shield. Holding the button on an attack gets Titus to launch a "heavy attack." Titus can also throw a spear at enemies either with a quick combo of button presses or by carefully aiming and pulling a trigger.

As enemies circled Titus, Esteves had the Roman warrior quickly stab at one, spin around slash at a second and then quickly deflect an attack by a third with his shield. Esteves continued to work his way around the trio of enemies, wearing each down with attacks or deflecting their axe swings. Finally, skull icons began to show up above the enemies.

The skull icon means an enemy can be dispatched with a gory, lightly interactive quick time event. It was these executions that the developers believe undermined the game's initial appearance at E3. But Chambers and Esteves both say that those executions aren't the bulk of combat, but rather the flashy finish to a fight done right.

While executions aren't necessary, an enemy can be dispatched with regular combat, the game seems designed with the expectation that players will lean heavily on those bloody finishing moves.

As the number of enemies a player faces increases, and the complexity of their strategy becomes more difficult, executions will become the only way a player can survive. Esteves says that the game even allows players to line up multiple executions. A player can wear down several enemies to the point of execution and then transition through one execution directly into another.

In action, the combat can feel satisfying, especially as the enemies start to fill the screen.

The goal is to give the game's crowd combat the feel of something akin to Batman: Arkham Asylum, Esteves said. That flow is an integral part of the game's fighting. They then set out to create enemies who would actively work to break you out of that flow, he said.

The executions are designed into the game to both augment that flow and to help out with a game that they felt was getting too difficult when the enemy count increased.

Ryse: Son of Rome isn't, he reiterated, a game about quick time events; rather it's a game about maintaining flow in combat, about being a "virtuoso on the battlefield," about bloody crowd control.
post #8 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

IGN

German
onlysublime and freemeat like this.

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
That looks great graphically. Combat a little clunky but far better than that QTE crap at E3.

Would love for them to throw this in for free biggrin.gif A lot of you are probably too young for this but one of my favorites as a kid.

post #10 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what is that? is that amiga? genesis?

for ryse, it is a nice improvement to highlight the enemy in a color rather than show a flashing QTE button. the problem with QTE is you end up looking for the button and nothing else. everything else on the screen gets pushed out of your attention. which is terrible if you want people to admire the entire action.

PAX is almost here. hope we can see more single player to get a better feel for the game.
post #11 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's an old arcade game called Gladiator. It is awesome because you stab high med or low and block separately high med or low. You have armor that gets knocked off when you get hit, getting hit on a spot without armor equals death. So basically two hits to one spot and your dead.

I've always wanted Soul Calibur or some other game implement some kind of system like that. Fighting games where certain body parts take damage leading to your move set(arm gets hurt, can't use same moves as well or throw Id that kind of throw requires a healthy arm) and mobility changing are always cool as well.
post #12 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it can't match Barbarian!
post #13 of 385 Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha that Reminda me of Sword of Sodan
post #14 of 385 Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

demo of the new CryEngine used for Ryse and Crysis 3:
post #15 of 385 Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
This is the only Xbone game I'm interested in getting. Not that I'm really following the new consoles much. Enjoying BF3 too much + I have far too many games to finish up before I make the jump. This game looks amazing, though!
post #16 of 385 Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure why "A" is constantly pulsing but here is anew video:

Apparently stretchy Dhalsim legs are in: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #17 of 385 Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Wow, these IGN guys are really clowning this game, saying that it doesn't seem next-gen, etc, etc. They are really talking smack about it in this video:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/31/ryse-multiplayer-impressions

They are basically just talking about the multiplayer, so hopefully the single player game is still decent, but it does sound a bit sketchy..
post #18 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

like with many games, the multiplayer is being done by a separate team than the single player campaign (the multiplayer was led by the fat dude from Microsoft; forgot his name; he's in the Comic-Con panel video).

And I listened to the IGN podcast a week ago and they liked the gameplay (though it was a different group of guys, led by Ryan Mcaffrey). Maybe the multiplayer is like a throw-in to make the game last longer as people can only play a story campaign so many times before getting rid of the game.
post #19 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Wow, these IGN guys are really clowning this game, saying that it doesn't seem next-gen, etc, etc. They are really talking smack about it in this video:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/31/ryse-multiplayer-impressions

They are basically just talking about the multiplayer, so hopefully the single player game is still decent, but it does sound a bit sketchy..

Wow, you weren't kidding. That was really harsh for something that is supposed to be a flagship exclusive for the Xbone.
post #20 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Hmm, as long as the single player game is good, I'd be cool with it. I hate it when they kinda force multiplayer where it doesn't belong sometimes. I understand the market influences. Publishers want an online mode in every game if possible.

It's good to hear that the multiplayer is being done by another team, because that gives me hope that the single player version is legit. A buddy of mine that is super excited about the XB1 says that this is his most wanted game. I haven't seen too many videos of it, and I wasn't too impressed with what was shown off at e3, but he claims to have seen all the videos on it, and he says the game looks absolutely amazing. I remember even though most people at e3 seemed unimpressed with Ryse, Jeff Canatta from Weekend Confirmed said it was one of the most next-gen games that he saw at the show.

I guess we'll find out more pretty soon, these games are going to have to be hitting the homestretch pretty soon if they are really coming in November.
post #21 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Liked: 832
I'm getting the vibe this is going to be MS's LAIR.

Forza will more than make up for it though.
post #22 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm getting the vibe this is going to be MS's LAIR.

Forza will more than make up for it though.

I'm not too worried about it, I wont be cancelling my preorder over this... How about you? Are you going to be cancelling your preorder over this news?
mboojigga and mguy5 like this.
post #23 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Wow, you weren't kidding. That was really harsh for something that is supposed to be a flagship exclusive for the Xbone.

This is not unlike some of the reports of 30fps frame rates for some of the ps4 launch games. I am not too worried and will not be cancelling my Xbox One pre order over this, will you?
mboojigga likes this.
post #24 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post

This is not unlike some of the reports of 30fps frame rates for some of the ps4 launch games. I am not too worried and will not be cancelling my Xbox One pre order over this, will you?

Not the frame rate I'm worried about. Every vid of live captured gameplay is looking very poor, besides the B-Roll and in-game cinematic (which are gorgeous). The other issue is the more we see the worse it gets; when it supposed to be getting better.

Others can and will decide for themselves, but...

lolryseiesg2.gif

ijXBLdUXc1vBe.gif

ryyoqu54.gif

DR3 looks more fun and Forza just looks so much better IMO.
post #25 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Not the frame rate I'm worried about. Every vid of live captured gameplay is looking very poor, besides the B-Roll and in-game cinematic (which are gorgeous). The other issue is the more we see the worse it gets; when it supposed to be getting better.

Others can and will decide for themselves, but...

lolryseiesg2.gif

ijXBLdUXc1vBe.gif

ryyoqu54.gif

DR3 looks more fun and Forza just looks so much better IMO.

Just like how it was for games like Driveclub and countless other I don't see the point on trying to see how the progress is for a game based on some off screen captured gifs. This was a reveal of the multiplayer mode and at this point in time is to show off what the concept is going to be. After all these years we know we can't expect every developer, to have a build to be just perfect based on dates of shows like E3 and Gamescom. We have no idea what build this is from. The build could be before E3 for all we know. I don't take stock in any preview judgements on games until it is final. I don't personally care for reviews but a preview on a final build is what I see worth taking over an unknown build. I think the arena looks like fun and it is simply a version of Halo Firefight with swords and shields. If the final version ends up with glitches and other issues that come up then I will be disappointed.

I accept that individuals at IGN don't find it to be that fun but what I see I will like. But I don't take stock in other peoples opinions over my own over a game I see looks like fun.

The 5.0 is here
post #26 of 385 Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks so much better on the graphical front in this footage (1 hour 35 minute mark):

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/08/31/Watch-the-Halo-4-Global-Championship-Live-Stream-Here.aspx
post #27 of 385 Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it'd be a shame to bury the new Ryse trailer in the general thread... so here it is again and without the gamespot watermark...
post #28 of 385 Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

it'd be a shame to bury the new Ryse trailer in the general thread... so here it is again and without the gamespot watermark...

But this is supposed to be the next Lair situation cool.gif

The 5.0 is here
post #29 of 385 Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

But this is supposed to be the next Lair situation cool.gif

Lair being a promising, pretty PS3 game with disappointingly bad gameplay?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #30 of 385 Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Lair being a promising, pretty PS3 game with disappointingly bad gameplay?

Except the comment made about Ryse was because of the whole 900p resolution. From the previews Ryse has had positive reports it plays great.

The 5.0 is here
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Ryse Son Of Rome Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page