Kinect 2.0 + projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. Been lurking a bit for a couple weeks now. I reserved my Xbox One Day One Edition immediately after announcement and as I looked for a solution to connect it to I finally settled on a projector. So I have been snooping ways of dealing with the issue of having the console ~10' and about 25' of cord away. I have been real interested in how others have done it with the 360 along with researching the differences with the new system and dealing with those.

Now I am well aware my setup will not go as planned, so until I get everything together, this is just a starting point.

I believe I have settled on a Viewsonic PJD7820HD, which I will mount on the wall directly across from the wall I project to. It will be against the ceiling (8'), but on a shelf. I am in an apartment and I am not certain the manager would appreciate me scarring his ceilings. My screen will be against the wall ~10' away(walls are 11'7" apart) and I will project ~80"X45" screen with the top of it running along my ceiling. That leaves plenty of room for a piece of furniture I have to go under it that is 30" high. (resembles a triple dresser, but it isn't)

Now, as usual, there are a ton of things that can go wrong here and I am trying to anticipate them as much as possible. The projector is backordered and it could be awhile before I get the money altogether and actually receive it to start my nightmare. Couple of things I have concern over;
a.) If my calculations are correct a 6' person can be no further than 4' from the back wall before their melon will get in the way of the projector while playing a Kinect game. Does anyone know anything I can do to give more room and is this correct?

b.) will it be difficult to mount the kinect to a flat wooden surface? Will I be able to get a 25' USB3.0 extension, will it require a repeater, and will lag become a problem?

Any other possible issues that may spring up are welcome as well. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
with an 8ft ceiling your head will be in the image...not sure there is anyway around it...my kids r fine with the wii but need to stand off center to make it work
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I think...(that has been known to be a problem in the past) I will get away with it TBH. If I clear the area, which should be reasonably easy...

The bottom of the screen will be around 45" from the ceiling. Making it about 51" from the floor. I am 5'10" and the wife is 5'5" tall. It should give me 5'9" in front of the wall the projector is mounted on before the top of my head starts shadowing. Obviously the wife would have more room(she is the one that may actually use the stupid thing) The only real question I think is whether I will get away with having a chair back there centered for me to play on or whether I will have to clear the area everytime she wants to dance or bowl or whatever.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
You won't have any problem with using a longer USB cable and an extender, you might need a USB3 one with the Kinetic 2 though (don't know this for certain until it is out in the stores)

I used a throw calculator on your projector and the minimum distance you can get your required screen size would be 7'7 at maximum zoom..

The closer you have the projector the less problems you will have with shadowing( though you could feasibly hit the projector with your arm if it is directly over you), in your room this would still give you at least 2 foot of room behind the projector. I'd ask your landlord how he feels about fixings in on walls for a start, if he is open to that you could do the projector. Either way it's not particular hard to ceiling mount it and fix the holes when you leave the place.

One convoluted way that could give you a bit more room would be reflect off a mirror placed on the ceiling, but you'll lose a bit of fidelity and lumens.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mirror is an interesting concept. Not sure I like the idea of losing quality of picture at all though. That is one of the reasons I decided on a projector in the first place. Definitely worth thinking on though.

And the ceiling is an old school stucco ceiling. While I am open to the idea of repairing after I leave, it may not be as easy as thought. But I believe the projector I have decided on does not have Horizontal keystone, which would be required to hit a stud? I am not certain on this one, hence the question mark. My space to hit my screen is extremely tight. The reason I chose the size I did was because it was the smallest possible from the opposing wall according to the calculator. I could conceivably go a bit smaller pending what I decided, but not larger.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My equipment rack is at least 25' from where I will be mounting my Kinect 2.0. It has been revealed that the included cable is 9' long. The connector is not standard USB form factor, although someone said that electrically, it *is* USB 3.0. Hoping to find some information on how to extend this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
someone will come out with an adapter or something so that you can use the active USB 3.0 extension cables. lots of third-party accessories (I don't even think they were officially licensed) came out for the first kinect. heck, when I thought I lost my kinect power supply, I went to amazon and tons of fake power supplies were there (Microsoft wanted something like $30-40 for a real one!).
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page