The Official XB1 "Kinect-less Option" Petition / Debate Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
XB1 with or without Kinect, which is better.

Let the debate begin!

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Haha Another Kinect thread??? Jesus rolleyes.gif

I actually missed out on all the Kinect talk... I don't visit other threads very often. Or maybe I didn't miss out on anything by the sounds of it.

 
Spanglo is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If only we can get the whole peanut gallery over here, we can start making peanut butter.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
garciab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Princeton, TX - USA
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So here's some food for thought for those who are pro-Kinect and believe it needs to be provided with all XBOnes to be accepted...why isn't Microsoft FORCING everybody who buys the XBOne to actually use it? They could very easily make it such that the only way to do certain things with the console (including all of its capabilities) requires the use of Kinect 2.0. If they truly believe that the XBOne is enhanced with it, why not force people to actually use to see for themselves?

People mentioned how Apple revolutionized phones with their touchscreen approach. What would have happened if the first iPhone also included a slide-out kb? I know I hated my early experiences with my all-touchscreen Android. But being forced to commit made me adapt and accept.

Does Microsoft not believe strongly enough in the Kinect 2.0 to actually FORCE buyers to use it? Just something that's been bouncing round in me noggin'.

bg
garciab is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,660
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
yeah, this is good. drag all the anti-Kinect garbage to its own thread instead of polluting the main thread. *thumbs up*
ultracat likes this.
onlysublime is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

yeah, this is good. drag all the anti-Kinect garbage to its own thread instead of polluting the main thread. *thumbs up*

I wouldn't call it garbage, then you will be labeled as drinking the koolaid.

It's a legit topic that people can freely debate, I just think that there is so much of the same going on in the XB1 thread, maybe a dedicated thread was in order.
freemeat likes this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,660
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
yes, it's a legit topi and should be discussed in its own thread. that's why I applaud this thread.
mboojigga and ahartig like this.
onlysublime is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ripeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've said it before and I'll say it again they couldn't figure out what to do with it on 360 so what has changed for xbox one?
ultracat likes this.
Ripeer is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,419
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

yes, it's a legit topi and should be discussed in its own thread. that's why I applaud this thread.

It won't last.
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It won't last.

Do you mean to say saying things like "yeah, this is good. drag all the pro-mandatory Kinect garbage to its own thread instead of polluting the main thread. *thumbs up*" doesn't encourage people to participate in a side topic?
freemeat is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,419
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Do you mean to say saying things like "yeah, this is good. drag all the pro-mandatory Kinect garbage to its own thread instead of polluting the main thread. *thumbs up*" doesn't encourage people to participate in a side topic?

It most certainly doesn't.

There's a whole subforum dedicated to the Xbox here...if people only want to cheerlead the platform, or talk about news and games without any general debate getting in the way....then make those threads. Then all this back and forth about kinect would actually be off topic.

The "official" thread is a catch all. Good luck to anyone who tries to dictate the direction of the conversation in there, because nothing about the xbox is off topic.
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord Flatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 2,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can we create a separate thread for all the Sony fanboys who have already stated they won't buy The One to go crap in? That would do more to clean up threads that anything else could.
onlysublime likes this.
Lord Flatus is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It most certainly doesn't.

There's a whole subforum dedicated to the Xbox here...if people only want to cheerlead the platform, or talk about news and games without any general debate getting in the way....then make those threads. Then all this back and forth about kinect would actually be off topic.

The "official" thread is a catch all. Good luck to anyone who tries to dictate the direction of the conversation in there, because nothing about the xbox is off topic.

I agree, but when the same topic is re-hashed literally every 2 days and takes up 50-60% of "new" posts, maybe it's time to separate that out.

I don't want to cheerlead, I just want to hear what yourself and other AV minded guys have to say or think about some other aspects of the XB1, rather then the same Kinect Yae or Nae back and forth.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I've never used Kinect on my Xbox 360, but I really don't care if it's included with the Xbox One at launch.

My question is this... what do people do in theater rooms where the equipment is not at the front of the room? I have a rack at the rear right of the room, and it's a solid 50+ foot run to get cables to the front of the room. Will the cable be easily extended to get to that location?

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,419
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I agree, but when the same topic is re-hashed literally every 2 days and takes up 50-60% of "new" posts, maybe it's time to separate that out.

I don't want to cheerlead, I just want to hear what yourself and other AV minded guys have to say or think about some other aspects of the XB1, rather then the same Kinect Yae or Nae back and forth.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm pretty tired of it too. But this "get out of OUR thread" mentality will forever go nowhere, because it's simply not off topic.

I'm not pointing fingers, but the same crowd that claims to be tired of it are the first to jump back in to respond to the kinect haters. It's a cycle....when one "side" breaks the cycle, it'll end. I'll believe the MDF is genuine about being tired of it when they actually stop caring to respond.
benjamin-benjami and freemeat like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm pretty tired of it too. But it is what it is...it's not off topic. I'm not pointing fingers, but the same crowd that claims to be tired of it are the first to jump back in to respond to the kinect haters. It's a cycle....when one "side" breaks the cycle, it'll end. This "get out of our thread" mentality only makes it worse.

Exactly. It is the usual comments "Stop talking about it, but after I get my final word in on it arguing for my viewpoint". As you indicated, some of the most vocal complainers are people who continually fuel the conversations about it.
freemeat is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Exactly. It is the usual comments "Stop talking about it, but after I get my final word in on it arguing for my viewpoint". As you indicated, some of the most vocal complainers are people who continually fuel the conversations about it.
If you take this comment and apply it to both sides of the argument, you have hit the nail on the head.
freemeat likes this.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

If you take this comment and apply it to both sides of the argument, you have hit the nail on the head.

Fully agreed, it would be just as silly if there were anti-mandatory Kinect people telling pro-kinect people to shut up or calling them Sony Fanboys simply for not sharing the same view on Kinect.

I think it is a bad idea only let pro MS choices in the main thread and anything that goes against what MS has chosen to do have to be segregated to a different thread. Which is clearly what some people want. An easier solution for those that don't want to discuss anything 100% pro MS is to simply not respond to those post that they don't agree with. Some of us enjoy discussing all aspects, things we agree with and things we don't.
benjamin-benjami likes this.
freemeat is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Honestly I could care less if XBONE has/requires Kinect or not. If it does then ill hook it up like I do any other required controller for consoles I use. I don't own any tinfoil hats.

What I really am interested in is will the new Kinect really give us cool things for gaming/media/entertainment which I think is more likely with Kinect being required.

So i guess If i had to pick I would go against a kinect-less option since I see no negatives with requiring Kinect.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #21 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benjamin-benjami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Fully agreed, it would be just as silly if there were anti-mandatory Kinect people telling pro-kinect people to shut up or calling them Sony Fanboys simply for not sharing the same view on Kinect.

I think it is a bad idea only let pro MS choices in the main thread and anything that goes against what MS has chosen to do have to be segregated to a different thread. Which is clearly what some people want. An easier solution for those that don't want to discuss anything 100% pro MS is to simply not respond to those post that they don't agree with. Some of us enjoy discussing all aspects, things we agree with and things we don't.

you are clearly working for sony..
freemeat likes this.
benjamin-benjami is offline  
post #22 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

you are clearly working for sony..
Careful, I made the same comment sarcastically and got reported to the thought police. They even showed up to my house wearing Kinect visors.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

you are clearly working for sony..

I know!! I am still confused if I should be for or against all the DRM stuff ? Some die hard MS fans blame Sony Fanboys for the change, but then I hear that the Sony Fanboys were the people signing the petition to bring it back?
freemeat is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Careful, I made the same comment sarcastically and got reported to the thought police. They even showed up to my house wearing Kinect visors.

I received and infraction a week and half ago for being sarcastic as well. I guess you need to spell it out when you are joking sometimes. LOL, I like how they were sporting the Kinect visors. Are you sure it wasn't Daft Punk?
freemeat is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I received and infraction a week and half ago for being sarcastic as well. I guess you need to spell it out when you are joking sometimes. LOL, I like how they were sporting the Kinect visors. Are you sure it wasn't Daft Punk?
If I say anything else, it may happen One More Time. eek.gif
freemeat likes this.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rage Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All I know, is I just want to get let back into the Xbox ONE thread. You know, someone who is going to actually buy the system......... biggrin.gif
Rage Guy is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

If I say anything else, it may happen One More Time. eek.gif

There goes c. kingsley frown.gif

c.kingsley likes this.
freemeat is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I think this thread has earned an official soundtrack.
benjamin-benjami and freemeat like this.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

I think this thread has earned an official soundtrack.

c.kingsley likes this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcadia88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Petition for Kinect 5.1. Surround cameras and one large device to pickup the vibrations of all the jumping around.
Actually I saw a demo a long time ago of two kinects on each side of the screen. It allowed for looking directly into the screen at the person you were chating with rather than an akward angle.
Arcadia88 is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off