yes, you can use video capture devices on Xbox One! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
here's the big news I was waiting for (and was worried about previously), Microsoft has come out and said that video capture devices are supported on the One just like the 360. It's only a small niche that needs this feature but I need it as I record a lot of gameplay (many vids well over 30 minutes):

http://kotaku.com/you-can-use-video-capture-devices-on-xbox-one-but-what-985846898

Xbox One users will be able to use third-party capture cards and devices to record gameplay video just as they did on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has told us. This is in addition to the built-in capture feature the company has announced for their next-gen console.

Here's the official word from Microsoft:
Quote:
Xbox One will support gameplay footage capture just as it works on Xbox 360.

That means Xbox One users won't be limited to the time restrictions on the console's built-in capture application. And they'll have all the freedoms afforded to them by being able to capture and tinker with post-production.

we heard previously from Hauppauge that their HD-PVR2 would work on Xbox One but it wasn't definitive:

https://www.facebook.com/hauppauge.co.uk/posts/531267486931428
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Just read this also and I'm very excited for this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

here's another piece with a direct quote from a direct source. now, it also affects me in another way that I didn't think about for the transition from 360 to One. Right now, one of my 360 systems is hooked up via DVI (through a cheap HDMI to DVI cable) to my PC monitor (shared with my PC). If Microsoft had fully enabled HDCP for everything, I would've lost this ability to use my PC monitor as well.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/1/4579300/xbox-one-external-video-capturing

The Xbox One will allow users to capture video from the device with external devices, Microsoft Game Studios vice president Phil Spencer told Polygon.

In response to a question about whether the HDMI-only Xbox One would support gameplay capture given the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) digital rights management system, Spencer's answer was direct.

"Yep," Spencer told Polygon. "Exactly like it works today [on the Xbox 360]."

Users won't be able to capture all video content from the console, he said, using a stream that supports HDCP encryption as an example of a case where it won't be possible.

"If all you care about is getting the gameplay, you're fine," Spencer said.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Not sure how this is going to work with the stated functionality of the XBone. With PIP/Window views and instant swap to your media, there is NO WAY they’re just going to leave HDCP out of it. They can’t with the media direction they’re taking.

The devil seems to be in the details of the “which stream that doesn’t support HDCP encryption”. Does it disable media and other functionality when using it? So you have to play with setting everytime you want to record and set it to game only? Does it just cut the feed?

Either way, a non issue all around. $25 worth of stuff and you can get around any HDCP for recording and not have to worry about those things above at all. Plus, as you said it's a minority problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can't get the parts for $25 (at least parts that perform decently).

And there should be no issue with having hdcp off when in split screen view. No one will want to be recording a miniature TV show or movie.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page