If you think you've done everything for the "input lag" with your TV... Try this on Xbox 360. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some may not be as sensitive to input lag as others and these little suggestions/"rituals" for the Xbox 360 may only apply to certain setups of Audio Receivers and HDTV's, but I am giving some suggestions as I feel like the Xbox 360 has internal Input Delay you can solve, but you have to do this EVERY time you start the console. So if you're big on reducing input delay, then try these steps:

1. Change The HDMI color space from RGB/Source/Auto to YCbCr709, then back to RGB/Source/Auto (HDMI only)
  2. Change from either Digital Stereo to Dolby Digital and back to its original setting, or Vice-Versa (DD to stereo then back again)
  3. KEEP DISPLAY DISCOVERY ON (unless you have EDID issues already known and need to disable it). Display Discovery is the one setting I had disabled for a LONG time and turning it back on actually made the Input Delay lower.

Lastly, Use the native resolution on your TV and if your HDTV has a "PC mode" feature (renaming your HDMI input to "PC"), use that as well. Hope these are somewhat of use. The reason I post these are based on the theory that the Xbox 360 sometimes does not obtain all the necessary information from your setup as needed. This acts as a "refresh".

(NOTE: For reference, I use a LG LN5300 32" 1080p TV and a LG LHB326 HDMI surround sound system all connected by HDMI cables)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
It's funny because I have been doing the display thing for the past year or so and I seem to notice a small amount of less lag than I used to have. I also notice that if you go from native resolution to something different, then back again also helps. Changing the resolution might just be superstition though lol
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnxwxox View Post

It's funny because I have been doing the display thing for the past year or so and I seem to notice a small amount of less lag than I used to have. I also notice that if you go from native resolution to something different, then back again also helps. Changing the resolution might just be superstition though lol

Changing the resolution depends on if your using Display Discovery or not. If you were disable Display Discovery on my TV for example, the Color Space is always in YCbCr and you can't get RGB to display properly even if you were to select RGB as the color space (this I know, by the color green being oversaturated). But then if you switch from 1080p to 720p, 720p feels as responsive as 1080p with Display Discovery enabled.

So the whole benefit of keeping Display Discovery enabled is that the Xbox 360 can then detect if your TV supports higher than (Xbox 360) Native resolutions and scale fast enough for it as well as if your display supports uncompressed RGB (which makes conversion time faster for your capable display, thus reducing processing delay).

Its just that if you had issues where the Xbox 360 isn't finding a resolution, color space option, or audio option to be supported, but your TV/Audio Receiver does, then you would disable Display Discovery.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks MDA! I've really always wondered what it really even did. Thanks for honestly the best answer for what DD really is.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks MDA! I've really always wondered what it really even did. Thanks for honestly the best answer for what DD really is.

I have not, a lot of knowledge about what Display Discovery EXACTLY detects from your TV's EDID chip (so I might not be giving the most accurate information), but turning it off and on so many times I see what happens to picture quality.

Also, if you are going for precise picture quality, I learned that the Xbox 360 does an EXTRA gamma conversion after the game has corrected gamma in itself (supposedly it represents a TV's gamma curve more accurately). That's how gamma/brightness in games are lower than their PC counterparts. Personally, I calibrate using PC images and then use the Xbox 360's ingame brightness control for a specific game, rather than change my TV's calibrated brightness setting everytime. All of these little knick-knack problems (along with the defunct HD-DVD standard) is what made the Xbox 360 a poorer choice than say, a PS3 for media.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel#E-DDC

That's what Display Discovery queries. It pulls the resolution, timing, colorspace information, etc. The problem with DD is that TVs have optimization modes (gaming mode, movie mode, etc.) and those can often change settings on the fly based on what signal they are being fed from a device or particular input, so it can muck up DD pretty easily or feed it wrong information like saying a display uses RGB when it only uses RGB over a particular input.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel#E-DDC

That's what Display Discovery queries. It pulls the resolution, timing, colorspace information, etc. The problem with DD is that TVs have optimization modes (gaming mode, movie mode, etc.) and those can often change settings on the fly based on what signal they are being fed from a device or particular input, so it can muck up DD pretty easily or feed it wrong information like saying a display uses RGB when it only uses RGB over a particular input.

Thank you for clarification. I have read up on what the EDID/E-DDC contains as far as video information, but never knew about the certain optimizations that TV's have, that affect the query process.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page