Splinter Cell Blacklist - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Unless my forum searching ability has failed me, seems to be just about zero love for this game here? I remember the days when Tom Clancy ruled the Xbox roost! Anyway, I'm picking it up tonight. Snap some necks this week...cool.gif

Looks like metacritic is averaging it an 82, not bad. Forgot to mention, this game was made about 4 blocks from my house! This is the first big title out of the new Ubisoft Toronto office. I totally need to get a job there haha...

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
For me the lack of enthusiasm is because I get the impression the game is more action oriented and less about what made the first Splinter Cells so good. The past two games were a ways away from what I felt a Splinter Cell game should have been so I don't know. I might give it a demo try but I'm not holding my breath. Plus they aren't using Michael Ironside and to me he is Sam Fisher. I just can't get past the voice change. I had the same sort of reaction to the change in Cole's voice in iFamous 2 and Festival of Blood. I got over it though since the gameplay was good so maybe I can tolerate his new voice if the game turns out better than I'm expecting. Still it's a bit disconcerting to hear him and not hear that badass Michael Ironside voice.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked it up yesterday and played through the first few minutes. Too soon to tell if it's going to be good. I hope it is since Splinter Cell is my favorite franchise (although the last couple have been meh)
I'm VERY excited about the multiplayer. They brought back the Spy vs. Merc's which was the most fun I've ever had online.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@pcweber111 A ha, the bad taste in the mouth from Conviction. I think you're describing Conviction and the reviews seem to be saying the new studio tried to go back to stealth play as the main focus with Blacklist. IGN review says it's the best SC since Chaos Theory. I'll know for myself tonight, will post an impression later this week.

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #5 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I'm playing on the PC, but using a 360 controller. Agreed on the voice comments, getting rid of Michael Ironside was a huge mistake. Fisher used to have an iconic voice. Now, in this game, I watch a five minute cutscene of a bunch of operatives, and I can't even tell which one Fisher is supposed to be because nobody stands out from anybody else. I'm not a fan of Grimsdottir's new voice actress either.

I haven't gotten far enough in the game to know if I'm going to like the main gameplay more, (obviously we all know the game hasn't been as good since Chaos Theory), but there are already some major annoyances. First of all, what the hell was wrong with one button for non-lethal and another for lethal? Now, you hold a direction on the d-pad, wait for the menu to pop up, and press X to toggle between the two.

Secondly, I'm not really a fan of the way that they tried to remove most menus from the game by making you walk around and talk to people on your plane to accomplish the same thing. More immersive? Maybe... but it's like they took the most annoying parts of Mass Effect and shoved them in here.

Finally, I really hate the 'press B to enter cover, and then press A to jump to other cover' mechanic that they introduced I think in Conviction that continues here. The best parts of the Splinter Cell series involve the tension of slowly sneaking somewhere to avoid detection when you know you don't have much time before someone comes down the hallway. I actually don't hate the mark & execute mechanic, and I definitely enjoy that Sam has been made more powerful for when plans go to crap... but things like this cover mechanic are trying to shoe in unnecessary features to try and sell to the CoD type crowds.

Haven't tried any coop or Spies vs Mercs yet. I loved coop Splinter Cell back when college friends and I used to play it in split-screen, but haven't ever really gotten much into it over Live.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm very excited to pick this up and play it. A huge shame on Ironside, I have a feeling that will really pull me out of the game immersion. Why wasn't Ironside signed up for this?

The reviews seem to show that you can play non-lethal/stealth throughout, which is what I'll be trying to do. The d-pad scheme sounds worrying though - is there any way to modify that control layout?

-JR
post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

@pcweber111 A ha, the bad taste in the mouth from Conviction. I think you're describing Conviction and the reviews seem to be saying the new studio tried to go back to stealth play as the main focus with Blacklist. IGN review says it's the best SC since Chaos Theory. I'll know for myself tonight, will post an impression later this week.

Yes, Conviction was the game I was referring to. A bit of Double Agent too. They just felt a bit different. Seems so far the series peaked at Chaos Theory. If you're right and they want Blacklist to get closer to the Chaos Theory formula then awesome. Still gonna feel weird hearing someone else.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After a couple hours of play, I like it. It's not Chaos Theory unfortunately, but it's better than DA or Conviction IMHO. I never play SP on games but I played through the first mission and I didn't mind it, I might try to finish the SP on this one. I then jumped right onto MP which is what I usually do. I really like Spys vs Mercs and it delivered. For me it's a keeper. I agree with the crowd at MetaCritic, I'd give it something in the low to mid 80s myself.

The one thing I wanted to say about it, I noticed some of the reviews say the graphics are horrible. I wonder if the reviewers didn't install the Disc 2 HD textures? I recommend if you have the hard drive space to put the HD textures on. I thought it looked pretty good overall, not spectacular, but it looked good to me. I did notice a lot of tearing on the cut scenes though but it didn't bother me as I don't really care that much about cut scenes versus gameplay.

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

So it's like I figured. I might give the PC version a whirl once it's on sale but overall I'm not interested enough to purchase right now, especially when I have such a large back log of games to get through and the new systems coming out in a few months.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RIP Tom Clancy....you lent your name to some of my favourite games. Tonight I shall snap some necks in your honour sir.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tom-clancy-bestselling-novelist-dies-at-66-1.1875996

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
He did more than lend his name for gaming. He cofounded Red Storm Entertainment. Without Red Storm, there is no Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, etc. When Ubisoft purchased Red Storm, his influence declined but he was right there in the early years.

I remember the original Rainbow Six on the PC and Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. We had so much fun with those games on our LAN at work. The FPS Ghost Recon games on the PC were incredible as well.

The transition from FPS to TPS Ghost Recon was rough. that happened in the move to consoles and to differentiate from rainbow six. And the latest Rainbow Six Vegas games were not made by Ubisoft Red Storm but by Ubisoft Montreal. I can see why his influence waned. The early games were very realistic with very realistic situations and scenarios. Ubisoft wanted to take all the military shooters in the direction of Call of Duty where the soldiers are superhuman and the events are bombastic.

IGN has a great piece on him that's very detailed: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/17/the-history-of-tom-clancy-games?page=1
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page