AVS Forum banner

Destiny: Bungie's next Franchise

86K views 4K replies 157 participants last post by  Budracin8 
#1 ·
#191 ·
I went ahead and ordered the plain package. I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the game, much less whether I'll be interested in expansion packs. The Digital Guardian deal is a savings of $15; you can get the expansion packs for $35 on 12/31.

#196 ·
The full two minute De$tiny live action trailer just ran during the 4th quarter of tonight's kick-off game in 5.1 and anamorphic widescreen. Good stuff.

Casual observers will think we've finally achieved life like graphics for sure :(.
How much went into marketing again?

Also, I just realized that Destiny + Led Zeppelin + Activision = No Led Zeppelin RockBand. Sad day for gaming...

#197 ·
I certainly hope no one actually thinks that is the game. That would be crazy.

But the trailer was the best part of the 4th quarter for me. I had to rewind the recording and watch it.

#210 · (Edited)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

Apparently if you buy this on last gen you get this gen free and both are playable. it may work in reverse as well. Not that one would want to play it on last gen consoles if you have current gen.
Wow, great deal. Clearly says digital purchase only and only going from purchased 360 to free One. Great deal for me since I hesitated on preordering but crap move for those who already bought for the One.

But can anyone find this off of the website? I'm on my phone and can only find this page via the link. Can't see when it expires? Would like to know for sure it'll work. Don't want to get stuck with the 360 copy only.

#215 ·
There's no way to make a game with a shooting element cross-generational cross-platform, unless you were to dump down the current generation version to lower resolution, lower framerate graphics with shorter draw distance and artificial pop-in.

#217 ·
It's also sort of just the principle of the thing. This is Microsoft's second game with preordering and preloading, and then something like 4 days after that happens (and still prior to launch), Bungie announces that people who buy it on the Xbox 360 are getting a far better deal. It's really just screwing over some of their more loyal customers, even if most of them would never turn on the 360 version at all anyway.

#219 ·
I don't think it's screwed up at all. They probably think that those ordering the 360 version are those that do not own a XBox 1. So they are giving you an incentive to buy it now(instead of later) in the eventuality that you purchase an XBOX 1 and thus don't have to repurchase the game again.

I don't care if I had friends on the 360. I'm not going backwards in order to accommodate them. I want to play this game in all it's glory. So for me, I could care less about the ability to download for the 360.

#223 · (Edited)
We still need a volunteer to help set up and run it...Please!

PS4 only owners have way to much time on their hands. AVS'ers + Xbox One owners are too busy buying games, upgrading A/V gear, and making babies. I kid, I kid! :)

Seriously, I have had quite a few conversations with confirmed and potential Destiny owners this past week. Some of the decisions to go PS4 (no joke), were as follows:

• The game is only available on the PS4.
  • I can play on-line for free.
  • All future expansions and bonus content are PS4 exclusives.
  • I want the White (hideous) PS4 bundle and I will kill to get it.
  • The Xbox One version is only 720p
  • The PS4 exclusive content is amazing! :(
  • Everybody is playing on PS4. Countered by have you ever tried PS on-line or chat in the past 10 years - no, 1st time, yay!
  • Have you ever played a single PS4 exclusive? Yeah-Battlefield4, woohoo!
  • How many PS games do you buy a year? 1 or 2 maybe. Xbox? 20-30+.
  • When was the last time you played a PlayStation game? I only used my PS3 as a Blu-ray player.
  • FPS on PS4 may be higher (bonus points for that dude; totally possible)

#226 ·
I'll say I could not use the PS3 controller. After ten minutes or so my hands would literally hurt more than after using the 360 controller for many hours. But with the PS4 controller, I am able to use that for extended periods like with the XBOne controller. While I still prefer the XBOne controller, I do like the PS4 controller and is close in feel to the XBOne controller for me. I am glad I am able to use it for several hours straight, without too much of an issue with my hands. Just like I can with the XBOne controller.

#227 ·
I, like many of you, played the beta on both systems. Graphics were slightly softer on Xbox but nothing to get worked up about. I found PS4 controller perfectly fine for this game. Oddly what decided it for me was the Ones primary function. Its nice and easy to quickly start up a game (no switching inputs) and I think people can notify me they are ready to play even when I am sitting watching TV which will make it easier to hook up with people. Also I am fine with 'less' players overall being on Xbox.

#231 · (Edited)
I've finally decided I'm going to get Destiny tomorrow. Usually I buy games around the time I get the NHL game and never play them because I'm always playing hockey. But I'm not getting NHL this year, so I'm in.

Edit: Just got on Amazon to put in a preorder and apparently I decided I was in back in July and just didn't remember. Good thing I didn't just jump on XB1 and order a digital copy.

#233 ·
Well thank god for football! What does that have to do with Destiny? I'll explain.
Two Monday night games on tonight instead of the usual one. So the last game is slated to end at 1:30 AM EST. Which means more like 2 or so EST. So what does that mean for Destiny? I'll explain further. After the real games I like to get a game of Madden in usually, unless the game stinks and I'll just snap the TV and play some Madden online so that's about another 30 or so minutes. I know you're wondering just what this means for Destiny. Well seeing that east coast guys are getting ramrodded with the online digital download by having to wait 3 AM EST to play at least I'll be thoroughly and meaningfully entertained until 3 AM EST when I'm actually allowed to play.

#246 ·
I'm so bummed I am working tonight. Though when I get home tomorrow morning I'll get to play for a few hours before I crash for bed. Then one more night of work then a 4 day weekend. I saw a in game screen shot from a friend (reviewer) and on their fireteam someone was passed level 20 and at level 23. I can't believe how fast some people can level up in a day!

#236 · (Edited)
For those of us who pre-download the DD version, I wonder if "midnight" is relative to the east coast, as with PS3 pre-ordered DDs? Or do they detect whether it's midnight where you are?

EDIT: It looks as though Sony has changed their policy to make "midnight" Pacific time. Sucks for gamers in the rest of the country:
The game won’t be available to play until 12:00am Pacific Time / 3:00am Eastern Time on September 9th, but you’ll be ready for the ultimate Destiny experience on PlayStation.
EDIT EDIT: MS' policy is the same:
Titles will be available after midnight local time on the release date in your corresponding country, though some countries with multiple time zones will align to one release time. For example, in the United States, Destiny will be available for play at 12:01 AM PT on its release day.
Lucky me in SoCal :D.

#238 ·
I suppose that this doesn't affect people who go to a store to pick one up at midnight--they get to play as soon as they get it home (which could be a while, standing in line). Amazon pre-orders won't be delivered until launch day when whatever carrier they used to ship to you comes buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.