AVS Forum banner

Destiny: Bungie's next Franchise

86K views 4K replies 157 participants last post by  Budracin8 
#1 ·
#4 ·
anyone listen to the IGN Podcast Unlocked audio for this week? they're betting that Destiny won't make it for the spring (also listed some other games that they think will also get pushed to the fall).

If that's true, the latest will be September which makes sense since Activision doesn't want two of its franchises going head to head (Destiny and CoD).

#6 ·
Just heard it through the grapevine that composer/audio lead Marty O'Donnell is no longer at Bungie. His epic Halo soundtracks helped hook me on that franchise [and Halo 4 suffered for lack of it, I believe].

I know they had brought in Paul McCartney for consulting on Destiny... Maybe the music is mostly done, and it was a good time to part ways, but still- pretty surprising.

#7 ·
I remember buying several of the Halo soundtracks.

#9 ·
I'll probably get Destiny on the PS4 instead of the XBOne since there is supposed to be exclusive content(or exclusive timed content) on the PS4. But I'm really not sure yet. I won't decide until closer to the release date.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails  /t/1487313/destiny-bungies-next-franchise#post_24621168

I was surprised to see Destiny the focus of the last PS4 commercial. The game is so many months from release I was surprised they were using it to sell the features. All in all, this and ESO are the only other two games this year for the ONE I am drooling over.

There is a promotional deal in place so that is why they featuring it in a commercial.

#11 ·
Defiance, this is Halo. Halo, this is Defiance. Now go make a baby.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone  /t/1487313/destiny-bungies-next-franchise#post_24623516

Defiance, this is Halo. Halo, this is Defiance. Now go make a baby.
Exactly - looks like a new face on the same game they've been doing for years.

Wow, how creative (sarcasm)

Did I heae the guy right in one of those interviews "for example if I go out & complete a ....campaign I can bring that to online multiplayer......" I thought it was online only?

#14 ·
I just entered my codes today for the beta. I figure I'll try the beta on both the XBOne and the PS4 and decide later which console I will get it for. Although I had to pre-order the games from BestBuy to get them. But it doesn't seem like I can cancel it. So I'll need to return them once they get shipped to me. Since I will only be buying the digital download version, even though it will be $10 more than the $50 BestBuy charged me.

#17 ·
Just watched that multiplayer video. Man this game is just falling off a cliff for me the more I see it. First off I don't like the way the players are animated. Looks like they are running on their toes and like the weigh about 3lbs. And when I say toes I don't mean the balls of their feet, I mean actual toes. The gameplay isn't anything special to me. Now I see a guy pop-locking like ReRun from What's Happening at victory. Game is going downhill in my eyes fast.

#18 ·
You should really play it before making judgements. I too was not too sure about this game but after playing for about 5 hours last night with a bunch of my buddies this is growing on me.

So here is my little summary so far. From talking to a buddy of mine it sounded like Destiny is pretty much Borderlands 2 with insane graphics. You start off by selecting the species you want to be (my guy looks like a frost giant from Thor - how can you be a boring human in a game like this) and adjusting things like skin tone, hair color, etc. From there it takes into the dropship cutscene and you are off and running.

From the beginning you are dropped into a area where you must traverse the landscape (which is ginormous) taking out any baddies on the way until you reach the radio tower. The outside environments are just insane, the scale is off the charts and the visuals are mind blowing..especially for an Alpha. Once I got in side that is where you could see some of the best visual. With the dark corridors and early noises it made for a really intense experience. There was actually a part where you are in a pitch black room with only a flashlight. As I was going through I started to hear some noises moving around me and all of the sudden Alien style comes out a horde of some crazy looking creatures. Believe me when I tell you that this made me jump in my seat and got the adrenaline flowing...I have not had an experience like that in a game in a long time.

As for the guns and your guy...customization galore. I did not get too much into that so maybe Red or someone who played more can talk about it but there is a lot to do. I only had one gun at the time that I could customize and I had not ranked it up enough to do anything by the time I got off. As for the soldier itself, there is just as much to do. From upgrading your helmet, armor, boots, gloves, it is all there and it all makes a difference. Again, I did not get to do a lot of this but I have a feeling I will be able to over the weekend.

All in all I cannot wait till this comes out. I never really got into Borderlands and I thought it was because of the play style, but being as I like this so much I think it was just the paper style graphics that threw me off (I know, it is a bad reason to not play a game). As it stands I cannot wait for the Beta to drop on July 17th.

#20 ·
I did not delve too deep into it, but on the surface it seemed pretty detailed. I can tell you there is a option between three different races (a human and two other E.T. type being) and you can adjust eye color, skin tone, hair color.

As far as character customization goes, there seems to be a lot to do. From you main, heavy and special guns to your vehicle. Then you have your character where you can customize your helmet, armor, arms, legs, booties, etc. with different items having different attributes.

#21 ·
I will play it but the more I see of Destiny the less interested I have become (based upon watching over an hour of streaming gameplay).

Will try the beta and see for myself but definitely no longer buying into the "it's Bungie" hype. :(
Jason

#24 ·
The goofy blast and arcs of color make this game seem like an arcade-ish seizure inducing Nintendo production. Seriously, just the trailers make my eyes hurt - sometimes more is not better.

And I hope they have Lawyers on a million dollar retainer. Disney's lawyers may not be happy that the games ships and characters look like it could be a Star Wars spinoff.

I will buy once the price drops by half. Then again, I could never get into Halo either. So my opinion is skewed...

#25 ·
What looked like Star Wars?

#26 ·
I posted my first impressions in the PS thread (played for about an hour last night). In summary, not good so far. The missions seemed pointless and repetitive, and there is nothing about the presentation that screams "next gen" to me. It seems like this game was primarily developed for PS3/360 and simply given a resolution bump on the new consoles. I also recognized a ton of sound effects from the Halo universe, which is somewhat nostalgic but disappointing given the supposed scope and budget of this game.

I'll give it another shot in the Beta, but I am underwhelmed thus far.

#27 ·
They have said that the Alpha only has 10% of the area available in the final game. The limited area of the Alpha was one thing I didn't like. But it is an alpha so that was expected.

#28 · (Edited)
I really enjoyed the Alpha but it was very confusing at first. Too much MMO (not a big fan), not enough Mass Effect.

I'm thinking that the single player only experience will be worth it alone. On-line was hectic, and a bit off, but still interesting.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is one of only a few games that are actually coming out by Sept. We'll all be foaming at the mouth for ANY new games by then. Especially for PS4 only owners. Sorry! - I couldn't resist.

EDIT: We all get UFC tomorrow and Transformers next-gen editions a week later...I'll get both by default thanks to B2G1 free deals, but not much else to look forward too for the next 3 months. Ouch.

#29 ·
Are there any RPG aspects to this game (level ups, skill upgrades, perks, etc)? Wiki linked in the first post didn't describe any. Just initial customization like picking your character and armour.

#30 ·
I know during the Alpha you could only get to level eight for your character. And that limited how far you could level up your armor, weapons etc. Since some of what I got required my character to be a higher level to be able to equip the higher level stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.