Xbox One 7.1 surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to setup a home theater system, using only my Xbox one. Not really interested in TV or blu ray players, mainly because the Xbox can handle blu rays itself, and not a huge fan of TV anyway

My only hiccup is with surround sound, i believe the Xbox outputs 7.1 surround through it's optical out, not sure about DTS and DTS HD and other codec support...

I am confused as to how i can connect a 7.1 speaker system with the Xbox one. Most AV receivers are grossly overpriced, costing as much if not more than the Xbox itself, for what i want from them, which is effectively just an optical to 7.1 connector.

are there any other options i have to connect the Xbox to a 7.1 surround sound system?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
The Xbox one will output a max of 5.1 Dolby digital or DTS over optical. You can upmix that to 7.1, but if you want real uncompressed 7.1 or any of the HD codecs, you need to use HDMI.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

as far as I know, the Xbox one can support up to 7.1 surround sound, (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One) i agree that HDMI would be the best option, but the X1 will be connected to my optoma HD131x, as far as i know that can't output surround sound no?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bugeja View Post

as far as I know, the Xbox one can support up to 7.1 surround sound, (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One) i agree that HDMI would be the best option, but the X1 will be connected to my optoma HD131x, as far as i know that can't output surround sound no?

The Xbox one supports 7.1 output over HDMI only. It's not the best option, it's the only option.

Something has to be driving these speakers, if its not a receiver, then what?

post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

heh fair enough, my knowledge is quite limited in these things, i just thought that maybe the sound could just conveniently go from the Xbox into these 8 speakers. i work with computers mainly, and sound is usually as simple as plugging the correct jack hah xD i apologize for my ignorance on the subject,

so i suppose there is no way around an AV receiver? in which case, any suggestions for decent budget receivers?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

heh fair enough, my knowledge is quite limited in these things, i just thought that maybe the sound could just conveniently go from the Xbox into these 8 speakers. i work with computers mainly, and sound is usually as simple as plugging the correct jack hah xD i apologize for my ignorance on the subject,

so i suppose there is no way around an AV receiver? in which case, any suggestions for decent budget receivers?

Well whenever you have speakers, something needs to provide the power to them. Computer speakers are usually self powered or powered by the sub. If you just planned on buying a 7.1 home theater in a box, it probably has its own receiver with it. If youre looking to buy separate components, I'm sure you could find good recommendations in the audio subforums.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

cheers for the info m8. i think seperate components is a better option for me, more flexibility in choosing.. i'll take a look at the sub forums. thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

optical does not handle discrete 7.1 or 6.1 audio. It can handle matrixed 6.1 audio or discrete 5.1 audio. But then optical is also an old legacy format. But certainly still in wide use.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page