Help understanding Xbox patching system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Can someone help in explaining the Xbox 360 patching system? My brother has an older 360 with 125 (or there about) Gig HD. If he puts a game in and it gets a patch. After he puts in X number of games (usually like 10) and they all get a patch, if he goes back and puts in the first game he originally put in, it will patch again. Its like it can only hold so many game patches. Now if the patch is huge (like 50 megs) we noticed it put a permenant game update file on his HD and he never has to get that patch again, but the other, smaller patches, he has to always re-put them in to get an update. It is a pain for him because he is not always on-line and has to do some re-wiring for it to work. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Never seen this happen. My 360 only patches a game once. 120GB hard drive.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Can someone help in explaining the Xbox 360 patching system? My brother has an older 360 with 125 (or there about) Gig HD. If he puts a game in and it gets a patch. After he puts in X number of games (usually like 10) and they all get a patch, if he goes back and puts in the first game he originally put in, it will patch again. Its like it can only hold so many game patches. Now if the patch is huge (like 50 megs) we noticed it put a permenant game update file on his HD and he never has to get that patch again, but the other, smaller patches, he has to always re-put them in to get an update. It is a pain for him because he is not always on-line and has to do some re-wiring for it to work. Any insight would be appreciated.

The smaller patches are stored in a small temporary space on the HDD, separate from the user accessible part. Once it fills up, it drops one, I assume the oldest. Like you noticed, the new huge patches go directly into the user partition on the HDD, they're too big to fit in the temp space.

It's a holdover from the days when the 360 used memory cards. Nothing you can do about it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The smaller patches are stored in a small temporary space on the HDD, separate from the user accessible part. Once it fills up, it drops one, I assume the oldest. Like you noticed, the new huge patches go directly into the user partition on the HDD, they're too big to fit in the temp space.

It's a holdover from the days when the 360 used memory cards. Nothing you can do about it.

Do you know how much space that has available? Any way to dedicate more to it through the dashboard/system menus?

post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Do you know how much space that has available? Any way to dedicate more to it through the dashboard/system menus?

No idea, but it's pretty small. You rarely hear any complaints because the patching takes seconds.

No way to enlarge it that I know of.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page