Half Life 3 Is On The Way-Reveal in E3 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 236
It appears Gabe Newell confirms that HL3 is in development for multiple platforms in the link below.

“I can’t confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages, but for now I can confirm that we are going to release on both current and next generation consoles and we will also release the game on our own platform exclusively for PC and Mac… We hope to have the first trailer ready for E3 2014, which we (after several times not attending) will finally come back to.”

http://gamerant.com/half-life-3-release-date-2014-pc-xbox-one-ps4/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
$10 that OR is the tech that drove it? smile.gif

I remember hearing they've been waiting for something akin to the physics and facial animation systems (crazy new at the time) to impact the next iteration in a meaningful way that prior games could not.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

$10 that OR is the tech that drove it? smile.gif

I remember hearing they've been waiting for something akin to the physics and facial animation systems (crazy new at the time) to impact the next iteration in a meaningful way that prior games could not.

I sure believe it was part of the puzzle. And I bet it will be a big part of their own SteamBox platform too. I would lose that bet. And you live too close to renege on it.wink.gif You Boston...Me Stow.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Way off topic but since you are locals any of you planning on checking out the XB1 this week? I might take a drive up on Thursday, they will be in Burlington showing it off.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Early stages of development? Disappointing since I had assumed that at least a minority of their development resources had been hard at work on the Half-Life franchise all of these years.

If they haven't been working on the Half-Life franchise all of this time, I'd love to know what they were thinking. Such a popular franchise and it will soon not only be a decade since the release of the last major entry in the franchise, but a decade since Episode 2 was released is fast approaching at this rate of inactivity.

I'm not holding my breath. They've obviously lost their senses to let this franchise go to pot like they have and be relegated to a distant memory for most of its fans and a franchise that a lot of younger gamers very possibly have never even been exposed to at this point. And I'm sure that something like Left 4 Dead 3 will derail their plans and push work on HL3 out even further since it's obviously at the lowest priority level at Valve.

If they manage Half-Life 3 by 2020 I'd be thrilled. No faith at this point in a developer that has ignored their biggest franchise for nearly 6 years at this point.

I'd never want Half-Life to be ran into the ground like every other popular FPS. But I'd at least like an activity level that surpasses a game a decade.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
the game has probably been started and stopped numerous times. They might as well skip the current gen consoles at this point.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I imagine it's safe to assume it won't appear on the 360 & PS3 despite their early intentions. I'm sure the time between the first trailer if it's released on time and final release will be a lengthy one. And it's hard to imagine Half-Life 3 releasing on last gen hardware that's several years out of date by that point.

But if this is a heavily massaged and improved Source engine, maybe it will. That has shown to be very capable of being scaleable over the years and able to run well on lesser hardware. So maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

If large numbers of 360 and PS3 gamers stick to their hardware for several years and routinely are buying new releases, maybe it's possible. But I imagine that bit about last gen hardware will quietly be forgotten by Valve by the time 2015, 2016, or 2017 rolls along and HL3 hopefully releases.

I can't imagine a Fall 2014 release actually being possible unless there's a lot more work done than they're leading us to believe. And past 2014 other than for franchises that are essentially yearly updates at this point like Call of Duty, I think 360/PS3 support for major 3rd party releases will start to get rather thin.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Way off topic but since you are locals any of you planning on checking out the XB1 this week? I might take a drive up on Thursday, they will be in Burlington showing it off.

Not here unfortunatly, All my vacation time is booked until next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Early stages of development? Disappointing since I had assumed that at least a minority of their development resources had been hard at work on the Half-Life franchise all of these years.

If they haven't been working on the Half-Life franchise all of this time, I'd love to know what they were thinking. Such a popular franchise and it will soon not only be a decade since the release of the last major entry in the franchise, but a decade since Episode 2 was released is fast approaching at this rate of inactivity.

I'm not holding my breath. They've obviously lost their senses to let this franchise go to pot like they have and be relegated to a distant memory for most of its fans and a franchise that a lot of younger gamers very possibly have never even been exposed to at this point.

Well, define development? They’ve been hard at work on their DX11 centric next gen Source2 engine that will power Half-Life 3 among their other IP’s going forward. Looking around at current engines, developer tools, and the ever increasing scope of games it probably was a from the ground up re-write. HL1 and HL2 did interiors well with engines based on legacy ID Tech (like COD) but it didn’t always do the outdoor parts nearly as well without tricks. My guess is a lot of effort is going into making the engine more versatile.

HL1 to HL2 was 6 long years. It’ll be 6 years since EP2 this October. They got this.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

They had one at Natick Mall last week. It was turned on. But one couldn't interact with it. Looked great. I do indeed plan to take the grandson up the road to Burlington Mall on Thursday. I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

the game has probably been started and stopped numerous times. They might as well skip the current gen consoles at this point.

I agree with your major point. But disagree with current gen exclusion. No way does Valve walk away from that huge Xbox 360 install base. IMO most of the big devs will have XB360 ports & downloads until at least 2016. They would will be walking away from way too much $$$ otherwise. Let's face it. These next Gen consoles will seem hot as cakes early on. The early adopters will insure that. But I predict sales will plunge like a rock shortly thereafter. And Both MS and Sony will be in the exact same box as Nintendo with WiiU. Unless VR integration in Next Generation games create an entirely new buzz around all of the next gens.

Leo Ames: If they plan to audition it at E3 2014, they could be much farther along than we all think.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

All they said was a trailer. It's hardly out of the question that what they show off at E3 might not contain a shred of in-game footage. The same bit of information confirms that they're in the early stages of development.

I hope it manages to live up to its predecessor as well as Half-Life 2 did with the original.
Quote:

Well, define development? They’ve been hard at work on their DX11 centric next gen Source2 engine that will power Half-Life 3 among their other IP’s going forward.

I doubt the same team that works on the engine would be those that code Half-Life 3.
Quote:

HL1 to HL2 was 6 long years. It’ll be 6 years since EP2 this October. They got this.

Half-Life 2 is nearly 9 years old, had a very protracted development period over a half decade, and ended up being delayed over a year due to poor security. Then just two expansion packs that together add up to about 2/3's of a game since then, the promised 3rd portion has never been released in the 6 years since, and mostly just silence.

So I hope people hold back their expectations here. It would hardly be unlike Valve to just forget they ever said this. They've released promising tidbits before that made it appear like concrete information was right around the door and then a return to silence followed.

By the time Half-Life 3 releases, I would not be shocked if it has been at least a decade since Episode 2's release.
barrelbelly likes this.