Crimson Dragon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
It doesn't look like a thread was made for this game yet.

New Trailer. Looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcrQP1igYO0
agnathra and onlysublime like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
this is one of my day one purchases. As a Kinect fan, I've been waiting for this for a very long time as it was originally supposed to be a 360 title.

In fact, since it seems like the early new XBLA titles will be expensive, I think I'll be buying some discounted Microsoft points before they're all gone. Still have quite some time before points cards are no longer accepted (actually did they announce when you can't redeem cards any more?).
post #3 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish we had more games like this. Love the Space Harrier, After Burner, Panzer Dragoon style games.
onlysublime likes this.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It will be $19.99 when it launches.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4747922/crimson-dragon-release-date-price-tgs-2013-
Quote:
trailer-screenshots-draco

Crimson Dragon, the new rail shooter from the creator of Panzer Dragoon, will cost $19.99 when it launches alongside the Xbox One on Nov. 22 in North America, publisher Microsoft Studios announced today.

Customers who buy the game by the end of 2013 will receive an exclusive playable dragon.

The company also released a new trailer that shows off the planet Draco, which was supposed to offer "a new beginning" for humanity. However, it proves initially inhospitable, thanks to all the dragons that come out to attack the would-be settlers. It's the first new footage of the game since Microsoft debuted Crimson Dragon at E3 2013 as an Xbox One game; it had previously been announced as a downloadable Xbox 360 game for Kinect.

Crimson Dragon on Xbox One still supports Kinect, but offers traditional gamepad controls as well. For more on the game, check out our interview with game director Yukio Futatsugi from E3. You can also see six new screenshots below.

onlysublime likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I wish we had more games like this. Love the Space Harrier, After Burner, Panzer Dragoon style games.

Did you get the After Burner game for the 360? That was a lot of fun. Super short but not bad for the $10 of entertainment. I think I got it for $5 on sale and definitely worth it at that price.
freemeat likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup, I bought it on sale as well. Agreed, great looking and a lot of fun.

I still want to play a game called Planet Harriers (from videos it looks like the spiritual successor to Space Harrier). It never made it to any place near me. I was hoping Sega would bring it to consoles (more align graphically with older generations).
post #7 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
post #8 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
New screens in 1080p...

freemeat likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks great. I logged in just to post these.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

still looks great. yeah, they freely admit that most of the assets came from the 360 version (when it originally was a 360 title) but even then, dragons... how can you go wrong. It's only $20 too.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/crimson-dragon-scratches-that-star-fox-64-itch
Quote:

Crimson Dragon Scratches That Star Fox 64 Itch
The Xbox One launch title is a delightful throwback to a forgotten genre.

Crimson Dragon has a tendency to be overshadowed by the Xbox One's big guns at launch like Ryse and Forza, but sleeping on this downloadable throwback to a forgotten genre might be a mistake.

If you're like me, you probably have quite a fondness for classic rail shooters like Star Fox 64, Rez, and Panzer Dragoon. That last one in particular is important, because Crimson Dragon is ostensibly a spiritual successor to Sega's incredible series of adventures.

Crimson Dragon is broken up into two distinct sections. First you have your traditional rail shooter levels, where the game takes care of steering your character while you only have to worry about moving your reticule around the screen, tagging various enemies, and unleashing a barrage of devastating projectiles. The two traditional levels I played were quite fun, and unfolded with a welcome bit of cinematic flair that brought a nice amount of tension to each moment.

The other half of the game takes place in open free-flight levels. These massive spaces give you full control over your dragon, much like some of the boss encounters in Star Fox 64. The stage I played tasked me with taking down an absolutely gigantic enemy dragon in a set amount of time. Flying around the city-sized beast, surveying its weak points and attack patterns, then eventually making a series of quick strikes was a joy.

One thing Crimson Dragon definitely won't do is wow you with visuals that scream "next gen." The game was originally set to be a 360 title, and though it doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination, it's certainly not going to win any beauty pageants. But while the tech might be a bit lacking, the dragon design is quite neat. Each of the creatures has a distinct, fantastical, and often terrifying look to them, especially some of the more massive beasts that dwarf your airborne buddy.

Also speaking of what Crimson Dragon was originally supposed to be, I'm grateful that Microsoft has removed a majority of the Kinect features from the game. Crimson Dragon was originally slated to be controlled via motion gestures, much like how you could play Child of Eden back in 2011. Since this feels so much like a throwback to a classic genre, I'm personally glad that they decided to keep a more traditional mode of play and allow us to use the Xbox One controller instead.

Playing about an hour of Crimson Dragon also got me thinking if this $20 digital release is indicative of the future of the AA game. Are things like this and Powerstar Golf, two games that are bigger than indies but smaller than AAA blockbusters, going to become standard in this upcoming console generation? I for one would love to see this trend continue, but only time will tell.
onlysublime and BFJ 96 like this.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page