XBox One Live Network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 235
This article suggests that MS is reaching for something much bigger than just Smart TV as many have ridiculed them for.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/18/hundreds-of-tv-show-ideas-being-considered-by-microsoft

As I said in the Xbox One thread...I may be one of the few people who think this is potentially a really big idea. In fact, I think it was so big that they completely botched the reveal by disassociating it with games. So I am starting this thread to hopefully spark a healthy debate on the possibilities afforded MS, Xbox and emerging A/V tech for going down this path. What it could mean for the Xbox/Windows gaming ecosystem. And pretty much anything folk's want to talk about regarding this feature. Obviously MS thought it was "The Big Deal" in its initial reveal. So perhaps it needs its own thread for everyone to air out the potential fairly. The perceived negatives have already been fully discussed in the Xbox One thread IMO. So To start it off I suggest this:

If MS uses this network capacity to really merge the game community with the film making/programming world the concept could become truly inspired and exciting. If it is just a replication of what we already have...it will deflate like a balloon. If it gets us to a reasonable ala carte untethering of bundled cable packages...That's a big deal. If it brings advanced Hollywood grade storytelling into epic new games and platforms like VR...Huge deal. The more Spielberg's, Cameron's, JJ Abrams, Quentin Tarantino's it attracts to the game-movie table/genre...the better. Game based movies and vice versa will only get better. Example: A movie or series should not be simply rehashed as a game or vice versa. It should inspire a striking derivative.

I will serve up one example on my wish list for this Xbox Network. Please convince JJ Abrams to rescue the IP rights to Advent Rising, on the cheap, from Majesco. And make a full length movie based on that first game. Release it exclusively on Xbox Live Network and major theaters. It was simply one of the 3 best game stories I have ever experienced (written by Orson Scot Card). Then do the next 2 installments in game formats. Debug the original game...upgrade it....and release it on Win8 PC and Xbox One. I think this is the potential of Xbox Live Network. Making that vision kinetic will be the trick for MS. If they pull it off...they could really start to separate themselves about midway through the cycle in Next Generation IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I think you're right, it could potentially be a really big deal. The road ahead isn't paved, so they have their work cut out for them.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
The potential if there really is any must be lost on me since I sure don't see where those big dreams are originating from or what would be so great.

Micriosoft entering production of original tv programming is about as lacking in awe or optimism as anything I've ever seen. And even if they do succeed, so what? They've expanded into a different business that other companies have succeeded for decades in and increased their revenue and profit in the process by cutting the middle man out of such programs when distributing them via Xbox Live.

But it's hardly revolutionary even if it's a huge success. It's about as exciting as any other tv studio getting onboard Xbox Live and having their content distributed there.
centking likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It's about generating alternate revenue streams for the same product line. That makes good business sense.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

The potential if there really is any must be lost on me since I sure don't see where those big dreams are originating from or what would be so great.

Micriosoft entering production of original tv programming is about as lacking in awe or optimism as anything I've ever seen. And even if they do succeed, so what? They've expanded into a different business that other companies have succeeded for decades in and increased their revenue and profit in the process by cutting the middle man out of such programs when distributing them via Xbox Live.

But it's hardly revolutionary even if it's a huge success. It's about as exciting as any other tv studio getting onboard Xbox Live and having their content distributed there.

I get where you're coming from Leo. But consider this. Many people never saw full length movies launched from TV programs happening a few decades ago. Or vice versa. Now we have Umpteen iterations of Star Trek Movies. TV shows and games. But what never happened in the past was the creation of a dedicated network focused exclusively on the "Game Synthesis" part of it. And rightly so. Games until very recently were primitive..by movie and HQ TV standards. Pong, Zelda or Mario didn't cut it. Neither does Halo IMO. But today a well scripted game can inspire a movie or series. Mass Effect...Advent Rising...Half Life...Bioshock and etc are examples. But they can and would get lost in the jangle of unfocused content distribution points that are available in the marketplace.

Battlestar Galactica was revealed to be occurring in a virtual world in the Sci-Fi series. And the follow up series...Caprica was supposed to tell how it all happened. Imagine Battlestar Galactica being a series on Xbox Live Network that precedes Caprica the game. Or Vice versa. That's what they are reaching for here IMO. If Xbox Live Network became the defacto standard portal for movie/game convergence; Xbox One bridged content would be perceived as something entirely different than just a gaming console. It could become an entirely new kind of launch platform for games derived from movies and vice versa. This has the potential to become a pretty big and influential cult market if it works. Their concept has the potential to attract superior storytellers to the world of game making. Just like advanced game making has already positively influenced moviemaking. I think that's why folks like Spielberg and Lucas are intrigued by the gaming sector. And forging alliances with the likes of MS and Disney.

Interestingly, Sony was actually in the forefront of this convergence with Playstation and Sony/Columbia Studios. BUt they seem to have gotten completely lost in the forest. PSN was their vision. But it was executed very poorly relative to Xbox Live. IMO MS sees a major opening to pull way ahead of Sony in this generation, by taking XBL all the way to bright. THe Network is just one of their bridges IMO.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

It's about generating alternate revenue streams for the same product line. That makes good business sense.

If that's in response to me, I don't think I said otherwise. I was questioning why I should be excited or consumers like me that similarly don't own stock in Microsoft and don't have a stake in their financial performance.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 568
well, because I love shows like Battlestar Galactica and Halo: Forward Unto Reach. If we can get quality shows like that, I'm all for it. A lot of the great shows lately have been made for relatively miniscule budgets and have redefined television. It's amazing that an episode of Battlestar Galactica is cheaper than a lazy 20 minute sitcom on CBS using jokes that have been repeated for the past fifty years.

And places like Netflix has redefined how we watch TV. Instead of releasing an episode a week, you can binge on an entire season in a weekend for even brand new shows that aren't available through traditional TV. Then again, if it's junk like that stupid show on Netflix... Can't remember its name. It was some kind of vampire versus wherewolf campy crap that made Twilight look like classical literature.
mboojigga and barrelbelly like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I can't wait for House of Cards Season 2 on Netflix and watch the new one Orange is the new Black.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

well, because I love shows like Battlestar Galactica and Halo: Forward Unto Reach. If we can get quality shows like that, I'm all for it. A lot of the great shows lately have been made for relatively miniscule budgets and have redefined television. It's amazing that an episode of Battlestar Galactica is cheaper than a lazy 20 minute sitcom on CBS using jokes that have been repeated for the past fifty years.

I agree. That's exactly what I'm saying. While I loved Halo-Forward unto Dawn...the Halo story overall is too linear for me as a series or movie. As a game it is great. On a certain level Halo was a galactic zombies in space classic. Perhaps it will become more unpredictable in the current trilogy. And then I'd be right there with you. But there are some real gems out there for the XBL Network to mine. Like the movie that spawned the BioShock games (forgot the name)....Oblivion...Doom...Hitman...Max Payne...Avatar 1 & 2 and a wealth of other crossovers. I predict that if XBL Network dedicates itself to becoming the go to place for stuff like that, it could become very popular. Deus Ex would be another great one for a series or movie to launch a sequel IMO. Along with a lot more IPs like Prey from the past generation. With heavy hitters Spielberg involved in this, maybe that is what we'll get. I sure hope so.

Right now this XBL Network...Superior capability/potential for me to untether from cable...Synergy with VR Gaming are the critical success factors for me with Xbox One. I assume that gaming on all platforms will be roughly equivalent by 2015 anyway (XB1, PS4, mid tier Gaming PC). They will determine when I purchase it. Example...the savings I would get from premium ala carte would more than pay for A new Xbox One in 3-6 months if it actually haqppens.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It is also vertically integrated, your market audience or demographic is playing games on your content delivery platform from the same franchises. It lowers the risk profile vs launching a show on a broadcast or cable network to an audience that may or may not be receptive or to a time slot that relegates a show to the dustbin. It lowers cost of production by cutting out the middleman (networks). It will lead to more interesting live action content than we currently have available and that is why it is exciting IMO.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

It is also vertically integrated, your market audience or demographic is playing games on your content delivery platform from the same franchises. It lowers the risk profile vs launching a show on a broadcast or cable network to an audience that may or may not be receptive or to a time slot that relegates a show to the dustbin. It lowers cost of production by cutting out the middleman (networks). It will lead to more interesting live action content than we currently have available and that is why it is exciting IMO.

I couldn't be more with you on this one. Just think of the creative 30-60 minute type infomercials and story lead-ins which can be produced by studios like Disney, Pixar & others to launch new games. Those will probably end up being mini stories within stories. Sorta like Halo "Forward unto Dawn". And it will only be available to a dedicated audience that has innate curiosity and a predisposition to at least sample the game. Game trial and purchase hit rates could go through the Roof on XBL store if they integrate/execute this right. IMO XBL Network could become one of the most watched sites on the internet based on the passion for games of its install base alone. As I said earlier. This is one of the features that could easily move me up into early-mid 2014 purchase intent if I see it and like it. And that means neat interactive network functionality with Kinect 2.0 along with expanded DD only & DLC integration. They could even use this Network to prepare their audience for a DD only...always on version of XB1 that they envisioned launching in the first place .

I believe many are underestimating how big of a deal this can be. Heck...I can even foresee Gabe Newell advertising Steam and Valve almost exclusively on this Network.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

It was some kind of vampire versus wherewolf campy crap that made Twilight look like classical literature.

Hemlock Grove. It was nauseating--I can't believe that I watched the entire season rolleyes.gif. Surprisingly bad performance by Famke Janssen and the Swedish kid who played her small-town-rich-boy son, Bill Skarsgård, made a really, really bad attempt at an American accent. His older brother, Alexander, is great as Eric Northman in True Blood; he should have given Bill dialect lessons. (Their father, Stellan, played Erik Selvig in Thor and The Avengers).

Still, it had its fans; Netflix claims that 809K+ subs gave it an average 3.9 out of 5 stars rating and I've read people sing its praises. Critics generally didn't care for it but about 70% of audiences gave it positive ratings.

Seems like every streaming video provider now has to put forth its own series. Fresh customers for the studios. Some of it has been quite good, like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black; hopefully MS can do as well. Can't wait to see what Spielberg does with a live action Halo series.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
House of Cards: I can't wait for Season Two. Kevin Spacey is amazing in this one.

Arrested Development: A decent resurrection, considering it was off the air for nearly a decade. It takes a while to get used to the new storyline, but I am on my 4th watch through of the new season - and still find myself laughing.

Hemlock Grove: This is one odd series. There seems to be no coherent plot, and just relies on shocking visuals. It's like rated R twilight.

Orange is the New Black: Meh. I like this series much better when it was called "OZ". Only made it through 2 episodes before I got bored. Maybe I just hate Kate Mulgrew for helping to ruin the Star Trek franchise.

The best part about being in my 40's? I did all my stupid sh!t before the Internet.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Hemlock Grove. It was nauseating--I can't believe that I watched the entire season rolleyes.gif.

Still, it had its fans; Netflix claims that 809K+ subs gave it an average 3.9 out of 5 stars rating and I've read people sing its praises. Critics generally didn't care for it but about 70% of audiences gave it positive ratings.

Seems like every streaming video provider now has to put forth its own series. Fresh customers for the studios. Some of it has been quite good, like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black; hopefully MS can do as well. Can't wait to see what Spielberg does with a live action Halo series.

Yuck! Thanks for the title on that awful show. I think if there are that many people giving that awful show those ratings, it must be because they are content starved for new shows. Personally, I find the streaming library of Netflix (while better than other streaming providers) to be awful, especially if you're used to what they offer on disc. It was a shame that they split up the disc and digital business but yeah, economically, doing both for one low price was not feasible.