Is it true that quality will be reduced with an Xbox 360 using a projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I plan on buying a projector (I know, maybe post in the projector forums, but this is also an Xbox related question) and I'm curious whether the image quality will be up to snuff with my 42" LED TV. I will be putting out a 100" image and I've heard that since the Xbox 360 can't render 1080p I will notice pixelation, jagged edges, and simply a reduction in quality.

On the other hand, I've heard people say gaming on a projection screen is something like they've never experienced. So, can anyone provide some thoughts on the matter? Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
in my experience yes you will notice more jaggies etc but once you stop looking and start basking in the massiveness of the screen you won't not notice, and if you do, it will still be worth it. Not to mention Xbox one is just around the corner. and it's amazing for split screen.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 208
This advice is for any video source. As you go up in screen size, but keep resolution the same, and keep seating distance the same, your perceived quality will go down. So if you're sitting the same distance away as you do your tv its very possible you will notice image imperfections on a projector you didn't see on the tv.

Lots of people have gamed for years on 720p projectors, both with pc and consoles. They seem to enjoy it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

I plan on buying a projector (I know, maybe post in the projector forums, but this is also an Xbox related question) and I'm curious whether the image quality will be up to snuff with my 42" LED TV. I will be putting out a 100" image and I've heard that since the Xbox 360 can't render 1080p I will notice pixelation, jagged edges, and simply a reduction in quality.

On the other hand, I've heard people say gaming on a projection screen is something like they've never experienced. So, can anyone provide some thoughts on the matter? Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

Of course you'll be able to notice more of the issues. Look at your tv from 10 feet away, and then five, and then get right up next to it. You shouldn't see pixel structure , but sure stuff like jaggies will be more noticeable. That's a limitation of the Xbox and not the projector.

Will it matter? No. I started gaming on a 720p projector and even that was amazing and I would take it over a smaller 1080p set all day.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've used 720 and now a 1080 fp for years and the biggest issue is with the highest frame rate games, particularly mw2 and 3. With a high fr the large screen actually starts making me dizzy and I have to shrink the screen. This hasn't been an issue with halo or elder scrolls or anything else. Just the latest cod's (and I'm assuming the Xbox one).

I'm sitting about 14 feet from a 10 foot wide screen. Fortunately I'm using a Panasonic ae4000 with lens memory so a couple of button clicks can shrink the screen to something more like a big screen tv. And lens memory also lets you get a 2.35 cih image so widescreen really is widescreen. So with that feature, I'd never go back to a tv.

- Chris
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

I've used 720 and now a 1080 fp for years and the biggest issue is with the highest frame rate games, particularly mw2 and 3. With a high fr the large screen actually starts making me dizzy and I have to shrink the screen. This hasn't been an issue with halo or elder scrolls or anything else. Just the latest cod's (and I'm assuming the Xbox one).

I'm sitting about 14 feet from a 10 foot wide screen. Fortunately I'm using a Panasonic ae4000 with lens memory so a couple of button clicks can shrink the screen to something more like a big screen tv. And lens memory also lets you get a 2.35 cih image so widescreen really is widescreen. So with that feature, I'd never go back to a tv.

Thank for the response. That's good to hear that information. I won't be having too large of a screen so I'm wondering if the issues people discuss won't be as big of an issue for me. I will be sitting about 11 1/2 feet from a diagonal size of 98" (or 85" wide).

Do you think I will still have some of the issues people discuss? Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I play on a 1080p projector at 106" and it looks beautiful.

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #8 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would not fret about it too much.

Yes, you will have some of the issues people talk about. As has been explained already the larger the screen is and the closer you sit there will be a degradation in picture quality as your eye is able to see more and more detail. Here is a chart to calculate viewing angles http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

It looks like your viewing angle is around 34 degrees which is not very large compared to most around here with projectors but is still much much larger than what most people experience in their homes with a standard TV.

I have experimented a little bit with sizes of images and viewing distances with my 360 and if you go too big you will notice the picture quality degrading. But, you can still go huge and get a great looking picture. How big might be a matter of taste and the brightness level you end up with will make a difference in the overall picture quality as well. Make sure your room is pitch black and painted in dark flat colors of course.

I would just do some experimenting yourself and once you come up with a size you like just use it. Does your projector have lens memory? This would make it super easy. You will want to some up with some kind of masking system if you will not be using the entire screen to the borders of the black velvet frame.

And like others pointed out the Xbox One is just 2 months away so resolution will be very low on the list of picture quality issues. Your projector and screen and room itself will probably play the biggest part in picture quality at that point.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page