Need help with sound settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is embarrassing, but I'm having trouble getting sound through my Polk Surroundbar 5000 when using my Xbox 360. I've got my 360 connected directly to a Sharp Aquos via HDMI. Then, optical digital from TV to the soundbar. I am so used to living without the optical cable that I can't figure out what setting or connection needs to be changed to make this work. I have tried various different menu setting changes on the TV and Xbox and still can't get sound through the soundbar. I finally just gave up and changed the audio setting so the sound would at least come out the TV speakers. I have tried all three different inputs on the soundbar.

Any ideas or suggestions on things I should check? I do get sound through the soundbar when using an HDMI cable box.

Thanks in advance cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hi Gizmo83, make sure the optical cables does not have any clear protective caps over the ends.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

I do get sound through the bar when using the cable box input. Just not having any luck getting sound with the xbox. Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
When you have your optical cable plugged into your xbox check the other end of the cable to see if there is a red light. Also check to see if you can see a red light coming from the optical door.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Still looking for answers. I posted the following thread in the TV and soundbar sections...

I've got a Polk Surroundbar 5000 connected to my Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U via digital optical cable. I've got my Xbox 360 connected to the TV via HDMI. I was not having any luck getting sound through the soundboard when the tv was switched to the Xbox input. I have had to run a basic audio cable from the audio out on the tv to one of the non digital inputs on the soundbar. Obviously, the sound is not great when playing Xbox. It sounds great with the digital cable though.

I tried every possible menu option I could find on both the TV and the Xbox before running the aux cable as a temporary fix. If anybody could help me get sound through the sound bar from my hadji xbox while using the optical out on the TV I would greatly appreciate it.

Polk customer support and Crutchfield technical support were no help.

It's not the optical cable as it works flawlessly with the other inputs.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page