Xbox 360 Netflix question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, not sure if this is the right place to post this question so mods feel free to move it to the right area if you need to. (just let me know where it went! tongue.gif)

I own a 360 slim model and wanted to know if anyone can confirm this. I want to be able to get 5.1 sound from watching a netflix movie through the Xbox app but my receiver doesn't support DD+ as well as it doesn't have hdmi ports. (it's roughly 8-10 yrs old)

I was told on other forums that the DD+ would be downgraded to a simple Dolby Digital. Can anyone confirm that this will work on an amp without it? I'd be hooking my 360 up via optical and wanted to know if I'd be getting 5.1 sound, 2.1 or nothing at all.

I'd really appreciate any feedback at all. All I ask is to not speculate or guess. I don't know if I should invest in a Gold membership or simply go out and buy another Blu ray player with a netflix app capable of 5.1 (not all BR players do it btw). I saw a Sony BDP S1100 model at Best Buy for $70 bucks that will work with my setup and downgrade the signal to DD.

It would be nice to be able to play my friends online via Live and get access to free games and demos early on with a membership. If it were just for Netflix, I wouldn't be considering it. Why spend $60 every year for Netflix when it can be a one time cost with a BR player?

So, what would you do? I currently own a Roku 2 machine but cannot afford to buy a new amp with HDMI capability. I was told on their forum section that the only way to get 5.1 sound through that is to buy a receiver that supports DD+ and has hdmi inputs. This is out of the question for me.

So, where should I invest my $60+ bucks with? Your suggestions? Can anyone OFFICIALLY confirm that Netflix will give me 5.1 audio via optical from my 360? Remember, my amp does not have the DD+ codec.

Thanks! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi Jiggyg1, I can confirm it will be DD 5.1 via optical cable (as long your amp can do DD 5.1 smile.gif).
post #3 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Jiggyg1, I can confirm it will be DD 5.1 via optical cable (as long your amp can do DD 5.1 smile.gif).

Great! Now I just need to think if I'm going to have enough free time to play online! eek.gif

Do you think I should worry about the slim model over heating? For example, I play online for 2 hrs, then decide I want to watch a movie via Netflix and then play another game? Did Microsoft really fix the ring of death issue with these models?

I've had mine for over 2 yrs and so far so good. The truth is, I've never used it more than say 3 hrs at a time. Should I worry or not? I have it in the open and ventilating properly.

Your thoughts?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
You should be fine. I have no overheating (even though they do run hot) playing over 3hrs and both are in a cabinet. I have the original Xbox 360 which they fixed the RRoD twice back in 2008 and its been fine since. The 360 slim never had the RRoD plus don't think I've ever heard or read about 360 slim having this problem.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page