Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 809
I guess we're getting a little closer to how Xbox on the movie "The Island" looked. Maybe the next gen after the XBOne since the movie took place in 2019.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
That looks horrible. Massive lag. God I hope this isn't indicative of what other Kinect 2 games will be like.
centking likes this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #4 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

That looks horrible. Massive lag. God I hope this isn't indicative of what other Kinect 2 games will be like.

Fantasia in the amount of lag/latency.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Fantasia is similar in the amount of lag/latency.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Man, what is it about Kinect, that Microsoft is willing to potentially throw away their first place standing, just to get that thing into everybodies home ?

I know that most will think that I'm a Kinect hater, but if you go way back, and look at my posts when Kinect was called Project Natal, and when it was first shown with the Milo demo, I thought that Kinect had a tremendous amount of potential for the future of gaming. Unfortunately, that potential was never realized on 360. The thinking with Kinect 2.0 though, is that it would be "vastly" superior to the original in every way, but it appears to not have improved much, if the reports of lag are accurate.

Why would they be willing to jeopardize their control of the home console market in North America? 360 dominated North America, and they are putting their future market share into serious jeopardy by pricing themselves $100 more than the competition. They've already come out and said that if you want to, you can leave Kinect in the closet, and it's not absolutely mandatory that you have the thing connected.

I'm hoping that maybe there is some early firmware issues or something, and this new Kinect is going to work much, much better than what we've seen so far, because I thought we were going to get a significantly improved version of the Kinect this time, and it would be so unfortunate to end up with a craptacular Kinect for another long 8 years.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Man, what is it about Kinect, that Microsoft is willing to potentially throw away their first place standing, just to get that thing into everybodies home ?

I know that most will think that I'm a Kinect hater, but if you go way back, and look at my posts when Kinect was called Project Natal, and when it was first shown with the Milo demo, I thought that Kinect had a tremendous amount of potential for the future of gaming. Unfortunately, that potential was never realized on 360. The thinking with Kinect 2.0 though, is that it would be "vastly" superior to the original in every way, but it appears to not have improved much, if the reports of lag are accurate.

Why would they be willing to jeopardize their control of the home console market in North America? 360 dominated North America, and they are putting their future market share into serious jeopardy by pricing themselves $100 more than the competition. They've already come out and said that if you want to, you can leave Kinect in the closet, and it's not absolutely mandatory that you have the thing connected.

I'm hoping that maybe there is some early firmware issues or something, and this new Kinect is going to work much, much better than what we've seen so far, because I thought we were going to get a significantly improved version of the Kinect this time, and it would be so unfortunate to end up with a craptacular Kinect for another long 8 years.

We'll have to see in practice with various games on how the new kinect actually performs. In my opinion the result of the lag is most likely caused by the game not being 1:1 tracking. It is a gesture based game. So you have to perform the gesture and the the kinect has to register it and the system has to process and figure out what move you performed. This causes a natural delay/lag.

I have a feeling if it was a 1:1 mapping, an example would be like Wii fit boxing, it wouldn't have lag issues.

Just a thought...
onlysublime likes this.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #8 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:

advertising dollars
post #9 of 15 Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:

I think part of the problem is that this games seems like a quick cash grab. The 360 version of this game "Fighters Uncaged" got crappy reviews and had horrible lag/issues. Seems to me Ubisoft just upped the graphics and maybe tweaked the engine a bit and slapped and XBOX ONE name on it.

I recently read a quote on GAF that seems to sum it up with Kinect 2.0 and how it all most likely depends on how well the developer codes everything in, I hope it's true:

Kinect 2.0 can track the body with very little lag. But writing the code on how those movements translate to on screen actions and movements on screen, how the animation plays out, which animations have priority, etc...that's all on Ubisoft.

Basically if you see this gif and think thats a problem with Kinect and not Ubisoft then you're doing it wrong.

This video is not an indication of Kinect Lag. Just like how using controllers movement in one game can seem floaty but responsive in another. See Japanese fighting games vs the "stiff" Mortal Kombat animations. Call of Duty vs. Killzone, etc...

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #10 of 15 Old 10-28-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not sure how well this game will be when its released especially when it comes to lag and movement (They could still be working to improve it) but it does seam like it would be a good game to have at party events.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
IGN explained what's happening with the game...

Apparently, it's near 1:1 for basic motions. However, it also has gesture based motions to pull off better looking moves. The problem becomes if you begin a gesture-based move, you cannot break out of the pre-animated motion so if you decide to punch or kick, it won't register because you're in the middle of an animation, making it appear to be unresponsive when you're really in the middle of a scripted move...
post #12 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

IGN explained what's happening with the game...

Apparently, it's near 1:1 for basic motions. However, it also has gesture based motions to pull off better looking moves. The problem becomes if you begin a gesture-based move, you cannot break out of the pre-animated motion so if you decide to punch or kick, it won't register because you're in the middle of an animation, making it appear to be unresponsive when you're really in the middle of a scripted move...

That is what I expected and attempted to explain above. I think a boxing game would be a better fit though because boxing doesn't have any fancy moves and you could have true 1:1 input and it would probably feel a lot better. Basically a Kinect version of Wii Boxing or Fight Night round 3....

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #13 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
yeah, I'd agree for boxing.

but for a martial arts game, it'd be nice to have to have the great looking moves. If this is the design, it could work when the player gets used to how it controls. the question is, how precise does the player have to be because people are analog. but if the kinect has to figure out if you're doing a basic punch or doing a special gesture, how forgiving is it? because a person may do a gesture sloppily and it won't result in the special move and that will frustrate players. but if it's too lenient, then people will accidentally trigger special moves when they didn't want to.

I can think of a very basic example. If you ask a person to do a squat or maybe a squat against a wall, many people will not squat at the right height. In their mind, they're doing it correctly but if you show them how low they're actually getting versus what height they think they're at, it varies.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I bought this and after installing to the hard drive, it starts to load and then crashes back to the home screen. Anyone else having issues with this game?
I think it may have become corrupt. Does anyone know how to uninstall a game?

Thanks

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #15 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apparently this is one of the higher scores it received.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/the-fighter-within-review

"2.7 Painful

Shallow, unresponsive, and unoriginal, The Fighter Within embodies the worst of what Kinect has to offer."
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page