Streaming from PC not working correctly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need some help with streaming movies from my computer, I have a number of movies that I want to throw on a PC, and have them stream to the Xbox. After doing some research I found that using H.264 and AC3 audio would work and give me 5.1 sound. So, I used Handbrake to rip a DVD to my hard drive, started the Xbox and navigated to the movie.

That's about where the good news ends, while the movie starts to play, there is no picture at all, and the sound is choppy. So, what did I do wrong? the file is an MP4, which from several sites I read should work, H.264 should work, and AC3 audio should work. I was ripping from a Region 2 DVD, but I don't believe that should have any effect.

I plan to put the movie onto a USB hard drive later today, and see if it plays that way to rule it out being an issue with my wifi bandwidth, but other than that am not sure where to trouble shoot.

Also, as a secondary question. The file size is currently 9.6GB for a 2 hour movie, what can I do to cut that down to a reasonable size? If it plays fine from the USB hard drive, I may go that route, but at almost 10GB for a movie, any hard drive I get will be filled up pretty quickly. If I use something like Divx can I convert the file down to a smaller size and still retain the picture quality and 5.1 audio?

Pretty new to ripping/streaming video, but I have a bunch of movies from the UK that I want to play in the US, and would prefer to rip these to files instead of rip, remove the region encoding and then burn to blank DVD's. I also figure I can rip all my US movies as well, to use on my Nexus while away from home.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

I need some help with streaming movies from my computer, I have a number of movies that I want to throw on a PC, and have them stream to the Xbox. After doing some research I found that using H.264 and AC3 audio would work and give me 5.1 sound. So, I used Handbrake to rip a DVD to my hard drive, started the Xbox and navigated to the movie.

That's about where the good news ends, while the movie starts to play, there is no picture at all, and the sound is choppy. So, what did I do wrong? the file is an MP4, which from several sites I read should work, H.264 should work, and AC3 audio should work. I was ripping from a Region 2 DVD, but I don't believe that should have any effect.

I plan to put the movie onto a USB hard drive later today, and see if it plays that way to rule it out being an issue with my wifi bandwidth, but other than that am not sure where to trouble shoot.

Also, as a secondary question. The file size is currently 9.6GB for a 2 hour movie, what can I do to cut that down to a reasonable size? If it plays fine from the USB hard drive, I may go that route, but at almost 10GB for a movie, any hard drive I get will be filled up pretty quickly. If I use something like Divx can I convert the file down to a smaller size and still retain the picture quality and 5.1 audio?

Pretty new to ripping/streaming video, but I have a bunch of movies from the UK that I want to play in the US, and would prefer to rip these to files instead of rip, remove the region encoding and then burn to blank DVD's. I also figure I can rip all my US movies as well, to use on my Nexus while away from home.

Thanks.

Sounds like a network problem at first glance. Wifi is not the best for this. You could also look at your handbrake settings. I use the "normal" profile and it seems to take a 4 gig file down to 2. MP4 is fine.

I use a media server called Serviio to dish out the files and it works well but as I said at first glance it appears to be network related. Most of those issues clear up on copper. Hopefully that helps.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply, I actually eventually found a post on here (can't find it now of course) that listed the settings someone had used and that worked perfectly. The file size is typically around 1.5GB and they stream nicely via Wifi to the xbox. I ended up ripping all of my UK DVD's successfully, then realized I don't have a blu ray drive on my laptop, so ripping those will have to wait.

Debating building an HTPC at some point now.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Xbox 360 has a bunch of (seemingly arbitrary) limitations about codecs, containers, and bitrates.

If I were doing DVDs and wanted to play them on a 360 I would rip the MPEG2 video and AC3 audio bit for bit to .wtv files.

I'd set up Windows Media Center on the PC hosting the files and also install Media Browser, which is a nice library viewer. I'd use WMC on the 360 to watch.

.wtv is the format WMC records MPEG2 and AC3 as a DVR. It fast-forwards and rewinds nicely.

The first image is what the library viewer looks like on the default Xbox 360 video player

This one is what Media Browser and WMC together look like. This would be available inside WMC on the 360.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Also, if you are doing your DVDs in Handbrake and ending up with anything larger that 8GB you must have the constant quality set too low.

A DVD can only hold about 8GB worth of a data. Given that you are converting to the more space efficient h264 your files should be even smaller.

I think you can still use h264 inside the wtv file container too.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page