Xbox One HDMI Pass Through/Toslink question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have my TiVo connected directly to my television via HDMI and connected to my receiver via toslink.

When the Xbox One arrives, I am planning on having the TiVo run into the Xbox One's HDMI pass through and then have the Xbox One connected directly to the television. I was going to switch the toslink cable to run from the Xbox One to the receiver...if I do this, would the toslink connection from the Xbox One to the receiver also carry the audio from the TiVo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I kind of doubt it, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 12
Should work but surround will be limited by the legacy hook up. I'm guessing you're doing this because your receiver doesn't have hdmi inputs? If it does you'll just need 3 hdmi cables, TiVo to xb1, xb1 to receiver, receiver to TV. If your tv has optical out you still should be able to get 5.1 out back to receiver via toslink as that is how I had it setup with my xbox360 to a non hdmi receiver. In your tv setup just specify sound output to external speakers instead of the tv speakers or both if you have that option. Or if your TiVo has optical out the receiver will have optical in and the hdmi from xb1 will send picture to TV. I hope this helps...
kev206 likes this.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, is is appreciated!! My receiver has HDMI inputs, just as many as I would like. smile.gif I was trying to think up the easiest way to integrate the Xb1 into my setup without having to move a bunch of stuff around.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 12
Yeah then do everything with hdmi as xb1 will send 7.1 through only hdmi.
kev206 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Anyone know if the hdmi signal will pass through the X1 if it's in standby mode?
post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

Anyone know if the hdmi signal will pass through the X1 if it's in standby mode?

Still waiting. The early adopters from Target fiasco from last week should have active Xbox One systems working on Live as early as Thursday.

The 5.0 is here
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Lots of info came out today, looks like you will need to have you xb1 on if you want the tivo signal to pass through. Also the to slink audio out on the xb1 only outputs stereo or DTS as of now.

Its unclear if it takes 5.1 DD sources and converts them to DTS or if it only down converts the DD5.1 to stereo.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If the XB1 has to be on just to pass the signal through, that effectively kills that feature. Hopefully they at least patch it later on if it's possible since it would've been genuinely handy with cable or satellite for the simplified setup and less hassle going back and forth.

But having it have to be on at all times just to watch tv stinks.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This quote from the Verge review has me most concerned:

"But while the ideas are great, the execution just isn’t there. For starters, passing my TiVo through the Xbox One darkened the picture and stripped the signal of its Dolby Digital audio encoding, taking away surround sound. There’s a beta option to transcode Dolby into DTS or PCM audio, but it didn’t seem to work for me, and Microsoft says it might cause additional video distortion with some cable boxes until it’s out of beta. If you have a home theater system, this is an immediate dealbreaker; I wouldn’t let the Xbox One near your cable box until it can pass the signal unmolested."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

Anything that darkens the picture and degrades audio is a gamebreaker for my home theater.

Saw a video of someone running a PS4 through the XB1 and it added noticeable lag ... so I suspect even if you are comfortable with the HDMI video being darkened somewhat and want to route your 5.1 audio from the TiVo to your receiver via toslink, it would likely throw the audio sync out slightly if you bypass the XB1 for the audio signal.

That the XB1 strips away surround kind of blows my mind. Hopefully that can be patched via software. I don't want a beta option to transcode Dolby into DTS or PCM audio ... I want it to pass through audio completely unmolested.

But darkening the picture ... Hmm. I'm not sure what's going on there and I'm going to hold off on routing my live TV from TiVo through the XB1. Which kind of defeats a rather large portion of the XBox's benefit. Hope that's software too. Will find out soon enough with all the home theater sites dissecting what sort of artifacting/darkening the XB1 possibly adds to video.

Like I assume most people on this board, I have many video sources and game consoles all routed through a receiver, with switches and other devices all making a bit of a complicated HDMI cable mess behind my TV. I wonder if the XB1 will be able to duplicate my Harmony One remote ... I kind of doubt it.

XB1 will be for games-only for the next while in my house.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 04:46 AM

Liked: 13
post #12 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I don't get the complaints about the audio being 'transcoded'. Is it really any different from a Blu-ray player that decodes to LPCM on the player? You'd still get high quality sound that way.

I'm not at all shocked it doesn't just pass through the audio, because it needs to decode it in order to mix in the One's system notifications.

Edit: apparently this is incorrect, see this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500679/xbox-one-does-not-pass-surround-sound-through-hdmi-say-what

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #13 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I don't get the complaints about the audio being 'transcoded'. Is it really any different from a Blu-ray player that decodes to LPCM on the player? You'd still get high quality sound that way.

I'm not at all shocked it doesn't just pass through the audio, because it needs to decode it in order to mix in the One's system notifications.

It's doing the same thing that the first HD DVD and BD players did to mix in the menu sounds since most devices didn't decode the advanced audio codecs back then. But people complained about that too.

It's been a long time for me since I've used multichannel pcm into my receiver since I've been bitstreaming everything for the last six years. But Ultimately, as long as it sounds the same, I don't care whether it is bit streaming or LPCM is sent to the receiver. At least I know it will work with my old Sony sound bar if I get a second XBOne in the future. Since that old soundbar only handled DTS, DD, and 7.1 PCM.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page