Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #421 of 425 Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Last time I updated my controller was for Titanfall and that Dev's recommended improvements...guess I'm due. Thanks for the head's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 425 Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
It very much is. The 360 and PS3 are great for integration because the controllers will work so far away and the Kinect can be easily extended, plus the Logitech IR to Bluetooth piece for the PS3 makes control so easy. The new systems have garbage wireless controllers. In my own system the rack/control system is upstairs and I used to play all my games downstairs, with the new systems all gaming is upstairs because the controllers drop out. I haven't even removed the plastic from my Kinect 2.0 because it won't reach anywhere, I barely removed it from the box. I would pay a premium to be able to use it, but at this point I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything; I may never know if I am because it may never work.
That's interesting. I would be nervous planning even a 360 or a PS3 into a whole-home system, as you don't really know how the controllers are going to perform until you get them in. I suppose with the 360 controllers you could use wired controllers over CAT-5 with USB adapters, but wires on controllers really suck. They should have some official way of extending them. I wonder if the latency on wired ethernet would be low enough to have little proprietary wireless "access points" for the controllers? Add PoE support, and they could get a pretty penny for them, due to the target audience (Crestron installers and HT geeks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcabes View Post
You are the second person on this forum to complain about the controller length. The kinect I get as I am looking for a solution as well. What are you doing that you need a wired controller?
I don't. I have a 360 (plus my roommate's 360 and another roommate's 360 on another TV), a Wii, and a Wii U, and a metric crapload of Nintendo hardware to go with the Wiis. I have wireless controllers for the 360 and for the Wii and Wii U, with the exception of the GCN controllers on the Wii. Nintendo has it's own set of issues with HT integration that are rather different than what the 360 and Xbone have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Well said, sir.
Thanks.

Quote:
I think he means a wired range extender, or possibly IR repeater that can be plugged in to the One itself.
I was just thinking out loud. If the latency was low enough, they could extend over Ethernet, and that has unlimited range. Or they could have a wireless to wireless repeater that would significantly improve the range, or a more powerful antenna and receiver that plugged into the console itself. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of how the wireless controllers work, so I'm not sure what would work and what wouldn't. For the Kinect, because of the bandwidth required, you'd have to either go dedicated CAT-5 or gigabit Ethernet with a local power supply or a pretty beefy PoE system.
post #423 of 425 Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's interesting. I would be nervous planning even a 360 or a PS3 into a whole-home system, as you don't really know how the controllers are going to perform until you get them in. I suppose with the 360 controllers you could use wired controllers over CAT-5 with USB adapters, but wires on controllers really suck. They should have some official way of extending them. I wonder if the latency on wired ethernet would be low enough to have little proprietary wireless "access points" for the controllers? Add PoE support, and they could get a pretty penny for them, due to the target audience (Crestron installers and HT geeks).
I always test it before I place them in a rack, if it doesn't work they can always be placed locally with an HDBaseT transmitter. I've had them work upwards of 40 feet away through walls, unfortunately the new ones have not been as impressive.
post #424 of 425 Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I don't. I have a 360 (plus my roommate's 360 and another roommate's 360 on another TV), a Wii, and a Wii U, and a metric crapload of Nintendo hardware to go with the Wiis. I have wireless controllers for the 360 and for the Wii and Wii U, with the exception of the GCN controllers on the Wii. Nintendo has it's own set of issues with HT integration that are rather different than what the 360 and Xbone have.

Thanks.

I was just thinking out loud. If the latency was low enough, they could extend over Ethernet, and that has unlimited range. Or they could have a wireless to wireless repeater that would significantly improve the range, or a more powerful antenna and receiver that plugged into the console itself. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of how the wireless controllers work, so I'm not sure what would work and what wouldn't. For the Kinect, because of the bandwidth required, you'd have to either go dedicated CAT-5 or gigabit Ethernet with a local power supply or a pretty beefy PoE system.
Kinect 2.0 can send as much as 2Gb/s of data.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #425 of 425 Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
I always test it before I place them in a rack, if it doesn't work they can always be placed locally with an HDBaseT transmitter. I've had them work upwards of 40 feet away through walls, unfortunately the new ones have not been as impressive.
Yeah, that makes sense. It would still make planning somewhat of a nightmare though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Kinect 2.0 can send as much as 2Gb/s of data.
HOLY $&%#! What is it sending over that cable? I guess my ethernet idea wouldn't work then... It would have to be some sort of direct CAT-5 that can handle more bandwidth...
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page