Forum Jump: 
 51Likes
post #661 of 677 Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Sup...Repeater+Cable

Maybe I will pull the trigger on this one. Sucks that it is twice the cost of the 25 ft one.

Last edited by MUPPPP; 01-17-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 677 Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillama View Post
If you purchase one of the ones I mentioned before, please let me know if it works as expected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpley View Post
I'm glad a number of people here were able to get their setup to work, but after two attempts with cables that worked for others and not with me, I'm sending it all back. My home theater room is 21 feet long and need an extra 5 to 6 feet to get to the Xbox One. This has been my testing so far to leave as reference for anyone else:

1. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft USB 3.0 Cable A to B -> Xbox One (Success)
2. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> Tripp Lite USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable (AB M/M) 25-ft. (U328-025) -> Xbox One (Intermittent)
3. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cooldrives USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable 32ft A to A -> (No Success with cable AC adapter and w/o cable AC Adapter)

I wish everyone else luck and hope someone creates a standardized Kinect 2.0 extension cable.
Looks like this guy tried the cooldrives one you mentioned and it didn't work.
post #663 of 677 Old 01-17-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah, you're right. Well, best of luck with the 36ft. one!
post #664 of 677 Old 01-17-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone post a link to the specific cables they are buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #665 of 677 Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's crazy how people using the same cables are having such mixed results. I'm thinking about buying an XBox One (my first MS console ever!) for my theater setup and this thread is intimidating, for sure!
post #666 of 677 Old 01-20-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'll reiterate a point I've made before, game consoles quite often end up needing to be at the front of the room. Or at least in close proximity to those playing games on them (which is usually at the front of the room). Especially if you have kids wanting to play games that involve connecting USB devices. Rockband, Skylanders, Disney Infinity are but a few that come to mind. Thus the question of how far the Kinect can be placed becomes sort of a non-issue because the console will already be up front.

I'm not saying don't try. I'm saying putting the console some distance away, back in a rack, may be a bigger hassle than you initially expect.

To that end when we do our Theater sometime later this year I've planned to rearrange things a little and allow for a small pull-out rack toward the front of the room. There's enough dead space behind one section of the wall to allow for it. That and there's enough conduit capacity (two 2" runs) to allow for running HDMI back from the console to the rack (with the amps and connections up to the projector).
post #667 of 677 Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an 18' x 16' family room. The TV is mounted above the fireplace on the 18' wall with windows on either side. My media cabinet is up against the wall on one side of the room. It's a large room I suppose, but not massive. I also think the arrangement is fairly typical -- certainly nothing crazy. Even with a 9ft cable, I can't make it from inside the media cabinet to the fireplace.

I had to sit the Xbox One on top of the cabinet and sideways (so the back faced the TV) to allow the Kinect cable to reach the TV -- creating a nice clothesline just begging for one of the kids to send the Kinect soaring in their excitement.

The fixed cables to my TV actually run through a conduit into the basement and up behind the fireplace. Surprisingly, it takes a 25-30ft cable to make that run comfortably! 9ft just doesn't allow for much flexibility in the placement of the console, particularly in larger rooms, which is ironically where the Kinect works best.

Now with the Kinect hub and the Tripp Lite 25' cable, I can let the cable run loosely around the corner of the room to the top of the fireplace when I want to use it.

Now it's a toss-up whether it was harder to extend the Kinect or find a game that actually makes me want to use it!
post #668 of 677 Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPPP View Post

Maybe I will pull the trigger on this one. Sucks that it is twice the cost of the 25 ft one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evillama View Post
Ah, you're right. Well, best of luck with the 36ft. one!
The 36 ft Tripp-Lite 3.0 USB AB linked above did not work for me. Kinect wouldn't power on at all. Sending it back.

The 25 ft version of the same cord did work. As someone above said, connection was intermittent. It would lose power occasionally and reconnect spontaneously. However, it seemed like this only happened when I was messing around with the cord (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea if that would seriously matter or not, just seemed like what was happening). After I found a good resting spot for everything, I played Disney Fantasia for about an hour without a single hiccup.
post #669 of 677 Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpley View Post
I'm glad a number of people here were able to get their setup to work, but after two attempts with cables that worked for others and not with me, I'm sending it all back. My home theater room is 21 feet long and need an extra 5 to 6 feet to get to the Xbox One. This has been my testing so far to leave as reference for anyone else:

1. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft USB 3.0 Cable A to B -> Xbox One (Success)
2. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> Tripp Lite USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable (AB M/M) 25-ft. (U328-025) -> Xbox One (Intermittent)
3. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cooldrives USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable 32ft A to A -> (No Success with cable AC adapter and w/o cable AC Adapter)

I wish everyone else luck and hope someone creates a standardized Kinect 2.0 extension cable.
Lets make a running list! Ill add 2 more from amazon.

4. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Active Extension Cable 10 Meters/32.8 Feet -> (No Success with cable AC adapter and w/o cable AC Adapter)
5. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cables to Go 54172 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable, Black (3 Meter/9.8 Feet) -> (Succes)
post #670 of 677 Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 AM

A list by length would surely help. I measured my room again and definitely need a +30 ft. cable. Looks like there isn't one (AC, no-AC adapter) proven to work at this distance?
post #671 of 677 Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felickz View Post
Lets make a running list! Ill add 2 more from amazon.

4. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Active Extension Cable 10 Meters/32.8 Feet -> (No Success with cable AC adapter and w/o cable AC Adapter)
5. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> MS Adapter 6ft 3.0 Cable A to B -> Cables to Go 54172 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable, Black (3 Meter/9.8 Feet) -> (Succes)
6. Kinect -> MS Adapter -> Tripp Lite USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable (AB M/M) 36-ft. (U328-036) -> Xbox One (Failure)
post #672 of 677 Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I'll reiterate a point I've made before, game consoles quite often end up needing to be at the front of the room. Or at least in close proximity to those playing games on them (which is usually at the front of the room). Especially if you have kids wanting to play games that involve connecting USB devices. Rockband, Skylanders, Disney Infinity are but a few that come to mind. Thus the question of how far the Kinect can be placed becomes sort of a non-issue because the console will already be up front.

I'm not saying don't try. I'm saying putting the console some distance away, back in a rack, may be a bigger hassle than you initially expect.
I have back of the room AND matrixed (centralized) Xbox 360's and play everything you mention without a hitch. Its not a dealbreaker at all. And I am setup so I can plug in wired USB if necessary in the theater (and could do the same with the matrix if it was my only setup). That's easy compared to this mess.

Of course, nobody has ever provided the mind-blowing list of upcoming Kinect titles that it is worth messing with this for that I asked about earlier in this thread, so it isn't high priority for me any more. Especially now that they have the new holographic tech. Kinect is going to be left in the dust...

Matt

Last edited by turls; 01-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #673 of 677 Old 01-22-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

What the 360 requires is less complicated than the Kinect 2.0 on the One. We have both. I've had mixed success trying to use USB hubs or extenders with the 360. That and the tedium of my having to get involved when some gaming accessory malfunctions makes it easier to just let them have access to it directly (and NOT near my racks).

Kinect for fitness is great, we use it a lot in the exercise room. Just Dance is about the only other title that's gotten much use. The voice recog features are handy, occasionally. I don't know that I'd make any claims about anything being 'left in the dust' but it's always great to see new stuff emerge.
post #674 of 677 Unread 01-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
What the 360 requires is less complicated than the Kinect 2.0 on the One. We have both. I've had mixed success trying to use USB hubs or extenders with the 360. That and the tedium of my having to get involved when some gaming accessory malfunctions makes it easier to just let them have access to it directly (and NOT near my racks).

Kinect for fitness is great, we use it a lot in the exercise room. Just Dance is about the only other title that's gotten much use. The voice recog features are handy, occasionally. I don't know that I'd make any claims about anything being 'left in the dust' but it's always great to see new stuff emerge.
It is ridiculous that in this age of ultimate connectivity that someone cannot easily create a wireless solution (MUCH LESS A WIRED SOLUTION) to the problem of transferring signals from a camera to a computer that is 30 feet away.
post #675 of 677 Unread 01-23-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Given the tremendous amount of data being sent, AND the incredibly time-dependant nature of it, it's would seem obvious why wireless is probably NOT the best solution. Wireless presents significant problems for speed, bulk traffic and latency. Basically, you can't rely on it for exactly the sorts of demands a Kinect sensor requires. At least not at the price-point and configurability best suited for a game console setup.
post #676 of 677 Unread 01-23-2015, 07:10 AM

Agreed that wired is the only way to go - but then why the seemingly limited development and hardware availability on length of cable? If they designed and intended the new Kinect to work ONLY from a short distance, then publish the specs and reasons why, so the rest of us aren't wasting our time and money.

Sure, they'll have some unknowing Home Theatre owners buying the device and scrambling to reconfigure their layout. Or guys like us buying cable after cable trying to make something work.

Like other people have said, if they want this to be the center-of-the-home, they could've developed it further OR communicated clearly what the limitations are.

My two cents.
post #677 of 677 Unread Today, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPPP View Post

I tried that cable - didn't work for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page