Xbox One Kinect Extender - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Xbox Area > Xbox One Kinect Extender

Xbox Area

Two Cents's Avatar Two Cents
09:16 PM Liked: 13
post #61 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 91
Another projector owner subscribing. Nearly didn't buy a One because of this. I can live without it (Kinect) but it's hardly ideal.
YzRacer's Avatar YzRacer
09:50 PM Liked: 10
post #62 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post

It's not looking great. I attempted to just send the usb3 data down an active usb extension and directly connecting the other wires between the cords. This resulted in the kinect not being detected. Someone with the right equipment could probably get this working. I also tried putting a 12volt power supply onto the kinect to power it.

Hopefully monoprice or Microsoft come up with a solution soon.

Which model of active extender did you try and what length? I was going to try the same thing myself. I am not currently able to use my Kinect either so if I can find some time I may be up to some experimentation.
YzRacer's Avatar YzRacer
10:01 PM Liked: 10
post #63 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 11
Found a helpful image as well for those that haven't seen it yet.

Sterling's Avatar Sterling
10:25 PM Liked: 10
post #64 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 231
I've seen that. So it should be USB 3.0, but I've heard them say on several occasions now that the current Kinect 2.0 won't be available for PC on USB 3.0 (obviously the connector is incompatible).
But that means they are making another Kinect specific to the USB 3.0 standard I assume. Which would probably be itself incompatible with the XBone, frown.gif
kylenewman's Avatar kylenewman
10:39 PM Liked: 16
post #65 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 36
I haven't even hooked up the active extender yet. My first attempt was to simple move the usb3 stuff over to standard usb3 connectors. I took the usb3 standard wires and converted them from kinect connectors to usb. Therefore the kinect camera had a usb3 male plug. Then I attached the cut off kinect plug to a female usb3 connector. My goal was to first get the kinect to send its usb3 data over standard usb3 connectors. If I was successful at that I knew I could extend that part with an active extender then figure out how to take care of the non standard usb3 stuff. The non standard wires I just reconnected together without extending them for testing purposes.

Unfortunately the kinect wasn't recognized when switched over to usb3 standard connectors. I made a lot of assumptions based on standard color coding. I'm actually going to sit down and trace all the wires down and create a pinout. I don't think it's going to be to difficult for someone with better tools and resources. Unless there is some sort of surprise hidden in the kinect
Mel Parker's Avatar Mel Parker
11:39 PM Liked: 10
post #66 of 642
11-25-2013 | Posts: 8

UPDATE!

I've managed to get Kinect working again.

A client of mine who works in electronics spent just over an hour re-soldering the wires back together for me and it fired up first time.

He can see no reason it cannot be extended this way either, time consuming but that is all.

Xbox on! Whooop!

DavidinCT's Avatar DavidinCT
08:57 AM Liked: 28
post #67 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 501
I am such a need of a 15-20' cable for this Kinect 2.0, like all if you in this issue.... I've also contacted Monoprice a few times and with out luck.

If they could not provide ext cables on release, why didn't they offer a Xbox one with out the Kinect, they should of known that 9' is not long enough for everyone....

Subbed !!!
Sterling's Avatar Sterling
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #68 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Parker View Post

UPDATE!

I've managed to get Kinect working again.

A client of mine who works in electronics spent just over an hour re-soldering the wires back together for me and it fired up first time.

He can see no reason it cannot be extended this way either, time consuming but that is all.

Xbox on! Whooop!

Mel, so you got it fixed, but it's not extended, right?

Are you going to try to extend it now?
Black Banshee's Avatar Black Banshee
12:22 PM Liked: 13
post #69 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 268
Woot! I knew my AVS brethren would get this worked for those of us with theater rooms! smile.gif

Subscribed!
Douyon's Avatar Douyon
01:17 PM Liked: 10
post #70 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 5
Just got off the phone with Micro Soft. Their un-official response is that it is being worked on.

I would recommend everyone call or request a call back from MS and add weight to this issue.

I used this link. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us#0:2:4

I have called monoprice as well, and they are working on a cable as well.
khackshaw's Avatar khackshaw
01:48 PM Liked: 13
post #71 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 46
I second Banshee! I feel like I'm getting cheated not being able to plop on the couch and say, "Xbox on!"
Ah shucks, there goes my twitch again. I need help! Help us Bill Gates, help us!
03:00 PM Liked: 16
post #72 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 36
Did a little investigation and realized you can actually remove the cord from the kinect which makes everything easier. I found what appeared to be a standard USB3 B female connector on the kinect camera. Upon further investigation it is a standard usb3 b connector with the addition of 3 additional pins. I've whipped together a quick image showing the location of the pins. This will make it possible for someone to manufacturer a cable which simply will plug into the back of the kinect. I only realized it was removable when i pulled really hard and it moved. It's really attached firmly. The diagram below is the beginnings of figuring out what each wire in the bundle does, it appears the usb3 stuff follows close to the protocol and the wires are the colors you would expect. There are 3 wires which are kinect specific. The brown wire, grey wire and black wire are all outside of the usb3 spec and appear to be kinect specific.

**Warning***
I give no warranty or guarantee on the accuracy of these diagrams, they are based off assumptions and you may damage your kinect or xbox one by using these as reference.
poledous's Avatar poledous
03:27 PM Liked: 10
post #73 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 6
Is there any reason why you couldn't just extend each cable using ethernet cable?
03:44 PM Liked: 16
post #74 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by poledous View Post

Is there any reason why you couldn't just extend each cable using ethernet cable?

USB3 is very picky about being extended over 9ft without a powered or unpowered active extension cable.
DavidinCT's Avatar DavidinCT
03:55 PM Liked: 28
post #75 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 501
Quote:

USB3 is very picky about being extended over 9ft without a powered or unpowered active extension cable.

Could the power adapter that they used on the USB connection on the 360's Kinect be any use here?
04:03 PM Liked: 16
post #76 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

Could the power adapter that they used on the USB connection on the 360's Kinect be any use here?

The power supply maybe useful but i'm guessing the kinect2.0 draws more power then the kinect 1. Whether or not the power supplies for extending kinect 1.0 will power it is yet to be seen. I'll be giving it a shot and will hopefully have more information shortly tonight or tomorrow. Powering the kinect should be trivial after we find a way to reliably extend the usb3 data and figure out if the kinect needs any specific information to turn on the kinect.
Holiday121's Avatar Holiday121
08:33 PM Liked: 39
post #77 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 1,737
Sounds like some good progress right here
08:36 PM Liked: 16
post #78 of 642
Ya I thought so until I hooked everything up and tested it, I still can't get it to power up the kinect. I'll be rechecking all my work in the morning.
Mel Parker's Avatar Mel Parker
11:51 PM Liked: 10
post #79 of 642
11-26-2013 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post

Mel, so you got it fixed, but it's not extended, right?

Are you going to try to extend it now?

Yeah all back together and working fine, no need to extend for me, my issue was the plug on the xbox end was too large to feed through the trunking in the wall.

The guy that came over to fix it for me could see no reason why it couldn't be extended wire by wire. 

For now, I am happy.

06:51 AM Liked: 16
post #80 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Parker View Post

Yeah all back together and working fine, no need to extend for me, my issue was the plug on the xbox end was too large to feed through the trunking in the wall.

The guy that came over to fix it for me could see no reason why it couldn't be extended wire by wire. 

For now, I am happy.

The problem is usb3 can't reliably be extended past 15feet without an active extension. This means the data must be put onto a standard usb3 connector so it can be extended over a normal off the shelf active extender. Problem I'm running into is the kinect isn't powering on after I splice in the usb connectors. This misnomer likely because I've swapped a wire or two from where it should be.
sammyboy405's Avatar sammyboy405
12:58 PM Liked: 11
post #81 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 8
I Really Someone finds a Solution. Glad to see some brave Progress on this. Im pretty Electronics Savvy, But I didnt wanna start cutting on wire with out knowing I could get a replacement for it. But Im gonna Need 40 Feet atleast. I might be able to do it with 30.. But It will be tight.
01:31 PM Liked: 39
post #82 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post

I Really Someone finds a Solution. Glad to see some brave Progress on this. Im pretty Electronics Savvy, But I didnt wanna start cutting on wire with out knowing I could get a replacement for it. But Im gonna Need 40 Feet atleast. I might be able to do it with 30.. But It will be tight.

You should of asked him when you took the picture with him that you have in your avatar lol
sammyboy405's Avatar sammyboy405
01:37 PM Liked: 11
post #83 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

You should of asked him when you took the picture with him that you have in your avatar lol

I did!

And He said that a Solution was being worked on But didnt expect the solution to be ready till this summer. I said thats not soon enough for those of us with TV's on the Wall or Media Closest. He had no response after that.
02:06 PM Liked: 39
post #84 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 1,737
Haha then he probably ran off
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
02:33 PM Liked: 853
post #85 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 22,175
Quote:

The problem is usb3 can't reliably be extended past 15feet without an active extension. This means the data must be put onto a standard usb3 connector so it can be extended over a normal off the shelf active extender. Problem I'm running into is the kinect isn't powering on after I splice in the usb connectors. This misnomer likely because I've swapped a wire or two from where it should be.

I wish they would have made the Kinect cable closer to 15 feet instead of 9 feet. I would have beenn fine with a 14 or 15 foot cable.
03:23 PM Liked: 16
post #86 of 642
11-27-2013 | Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I wish they would have made the Kinect cable closer to 15 feet instead of 9 feet. I would have beenn fine with a 14 or 15 foot cable.

I was a little generous with the 15ft comment. 9.8ft is the official max supported cable length.

I'm going to take one last shot at this tonight. So far I've been able to get everything to test out with a multimeter the connections are all where they should be and no shorts. The usb3 data is being run through a standard usb3 cable and is on the correct pins. The kinect simply doesn't turn on, I must be missing something simple I'm going to solder the cable back as it originally came and get that to work. After that I'm going to move one data wire over at a time to the usb3 connectors to isolate the issue.

My initially pin out is correct for wire color and the standard usb stuff. The white and black wire I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually the wire carrying IR data and the black wire is the ground for the VBus. The brownish wire is the 12v for the kinect 2.0 which would be the same as kinect 1 and the grey is ground I believe.
jagr200's Avatar jagr200
07:14 PM Liked: 10
post #87 of 642
11-29-2013 | Posts: 13

On another side note. As we all know the headsets that came with our consoles suck. I modified mine to be able to use my TB headset. I removed the Xbox headset and soldered a male 2.5 jack onto it so I have the mute and volume control of the xbox plug but I can use my turtle beaches. If anyone wants the same thing I am making them for people for $25. You have to ship me yours and I'll ship it back looking like this. Message me here or ask in the thread and we can set something up.

mikeisfly's Avatar mikeisfly
06:35 AM Liked: 10
post #88 of 642
11-30-2013 | Posts: 2
I know some of you guys tried to use an active USB 3.0 cable, remember that it matters which side you have the sync and source on. I found this out the hard way when I was trying to extend the Kinect 1.0
Black Banshee's Avatar Black Banshee
04:01 PM Liked: 13
post #89 of 642
11-30-2013 | Posts: 268
Luckily my equipment closet is next to my theater room so the cord was just long enough I could run the cord through the wall and put the Kinect at the lower corner of my screen. This works for now to at least give verbal commands and it does recognize me visually for sign-in.

Doesn't seem to work for visual commands using your hands, but at least it's somewhat functional. Microsoft did not think this through.

Looking forward to that extension cord!

photo kinect2_zps33808de2.jpg
ol2's Avatar ol2
09:06 AM Liked: 11
post #90 of 642
12-01-2013 | Posts: 21
From what I've read, I believe the pinouts for the Kinect cable are as follows:

Basic USB 2.0 wiring:

Pin 1 Red VBus
Pin 2 White Data -
Pin 3 Green Data +
Pin 4 Black Ground

Additional USB 3.0 wiring:

Pin 5 Blue SSTX -
Pin 6 Yellow SSTX +

Pin 7 Ground

Pin 8 Purple SSRX -
Pin 9 Orange SSRX +

Additional USB 3.0 Powered wiring:

Pin 10 Brown D Power
Pin 11 Gray D Ground

Additional mystery pin:

Pin 12 White/Black stripe unknown purpose

So it seems like pins 1 to 11 are standard. My guess is that pins 1 to 9 could easily be sent over a standard USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable. An Active Extension Cable draws power from the USB 3.0 bus and uses it to boost and regenerate the data signals, ensuring that full SuperSpeeds can be maintained to much longer lengths. Then Pins 10, 11 and 12 could be sent over simple CAT 5 and since they are probably not used for high-speed data, they could tolerate longer cable lengths.

I just purchased a spare Kinect 2.0 cable from ebay. I'm going to try to implement the above wiring by inserting an Active Extension Cable + CAT 5 cable in the middle of the Kinect 2.0 cable. I need 25ft total length. Will post an update.
Tags: Xbox One Console Standard Edition

Reply Xbox Area

Subscribe to this Thread