AVS Forum banner

Xbox One Kinect Extender

209K views 903 replies 206 participants last post by  Drew Neilson 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched the forum for a discussion on this and came up with nothing. I'm sure a lot of us have home theaters with components setup in back room closets. So, I want to ask if anyone has heard of an extension cable for the Xbox One Kinect 2?
Also, for those who have projection home theaters with Xbox 360s and Kinects now, does the Kinect work better positioned above or below the projection screen?

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Green  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23994275

Looks great.  Is the Kinect on top of the screen?

Yeah it is at the top. I'll upload a better picture at some point. Seemed to work better up there than below the screen because it can see more of the floor. It's 6' 6" off of the ground which is only 6" higher than the recommended maximum height. Sidenote: call of duty is quite awesome on it :)

#54 ·

I myself thought Ghosts single player was OK. Multiplayer is horrific.

Anyways. I got in contact with Rick at usbfirewire.com. They have decided to get going on this for us. They are requesting a few good pictures of the kinect plug on the wire and the port on the console. I'm away right now and got him what I had but can someone take a few good pictures and post them here? I'll then email them the pictures but I also gave them the link and they are actively following this thread.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagr200  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23994572

I myself thought Ghosts single player was OK. Multiplayer is horrific.

Anyways. I got in contact with Rick at usbfirewire.com. They have decided to get going on this for us. They are requesting a few good pictures of the kinect plug on the wire and the port on the console. I'm away right now and got him what I had but can someone take a few good pictures and post them here? I'll then email them the pictures but I also gave them the link and they are actively following this thread.

Don't want to derail the convo, but what about multiplayer did you find horrific? I've been enjoying it as much as previous COD games.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23994598

Don't want to derail the convo, but what about multiplayer did you find horrific? I've been enjoying it as much as previous COD games.

Graphics, guns are terrible, perks, spawning. I could go on and on.

Another side note.  Why is your center channel vertical?

#57 ·
I'm no AV pro and I don't claim to be one, but after a bunch of research before setting this up, I read that placing the center channel can help in it's off-axis response and broadcast the center channel sound better left to right rather than up and down.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23994256

Yep - hence our solution - see the pictures. One long HDMI going to, and one long HDMI coming from the Xbox One - to the closet. A pain - but it works well and we managed to do it without creating an eye sore. Once a Kinect extender comes, we will see what we want to do then.

Before

After

You are a much more dedicated man than I am to run a couple of extra HDMI cables.

Where exactly is your equipment closet? If it's right behind the screen somewhere, then thats understandable but if it's in the back of the room like mine, then my hats off to you sir.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23995508

You are a much more dedicated man than I am to run a couple of extra HDMI cables.

Where exactly is your equipment closet? If it's right behind the screen somewhere, then thats understandable but if it's in the back of the room like mine, then my hats off to you sir.

Our equipment closet is actually in the space under the stairs which is outside of the room this setup is in. 25' runs both ways :)

Not the most organized closet but you can see the distance here (closet is next to hallway behind couch). Kinect at top.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/30#post_23991458

It's not looking great. I attempted to just send the usb3 data down an active usb extension and directly connecting the other wires between the cords. This resulted in the kinect not being detected. Someone with the right equipment could probably get this working. I also tried putting a 12volt power supply onto the kinect to power it.

Hopefully monoprice or Microsoft come up with a solution soon.

Which model of active extender did you try and what length? I was going to try the same thing myself. I am not currently able to use my Kinect either so if I can find some time I may be up to some experimentation.

#64 ·
I've seen that. So it should be USB 3.0, but I've heard them say on several occasions now that the current Kinect 2.0 won't be available for PC on USB 3.0 (obviously the connector is incompatible).

But that means they are making another Kinect specific to the USB 3.0 standard I assume. Which would probably be itself incompatible with the XBone,

#65 ·
I haven't even hooked up the active extender yet. My first attempt was to simple move the usb3 stuff over to standard usb3 connectors. I took the usb3 standard wires and converted them from kinect connectors to usb. Therefore the kinect camera had a usb3 male plug. Then I attached the cut off kinect plug to a female usb3 connector. My goal was to first get the kinect to send its usb3 data over standard usb3 connectors. If I was successful at that I knew I could extend that part with an active extender then figure out how to take care of the non standard usb3 stuff. The non standard wires I just reconnected together without extending them for testing purposes.

Unfortunately the kinect wasn't recognized when switched over to usb3 standard connectors. I made a lot of assumptions based on standard color coding. I'm actually going to sit down and trace all the wires down and create a pinout. I don't think it's going to be to difficult for someone with better tools and resources. Unless there is some sort of surprise hidden in the kinect

#66 ·

UPDATE!

I've managed to get Kinect working again.

A client of mine who works in electronics spent just over an hour re-soldering the wires back together for me and it fired up first time.

He can see no reason it cannot be extended this way either, time consuming but that is all.

Xbox on! Whooop!

#67 ·
I am such a need of a 15-20' cable for this Kinect 2.0, like all if you in this issue.... I've also contacted Monoprice a few times and with out luck.

If they could not provide ext cables on release, why didn't they offer a Xbox one with out the Kinect, they should of known that 9' is not long enough for everyone....

Subbed !!!

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Parker  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/60#post_23996895

UPDATE!

I've managed to get Kinect working again.

A client of mine who works in electronics spent just over an hour re-soldering the wires back together for me and it fired up first time.

He can see no reason it cannot be extended this way either, time consuming but that is all.

Xbox on! Whooop!

Mel, so you got it fixed, but it's not extended, right?

Are you going to try to extend it now?

#69 ·
Woot! I knew my AVS brethren would get this worked for those of us with theater rooms!

Subscribed!

#71 ·
I second Banshee! I feel like I'm getting cheated not being able to plop on the couch and say, "Xbox on!"

Ah shucks, there goes my twitch again. I need help! Help us Bill Gates, help us!

#72 ·
Did a little investigation and realized you can actually remove the cord from the kinect which makes everything easier. I found what appeared to be a standard USB3 B female connector on the kinect camera. Upon further investigation it is a standard usb3 b connector with the addition of 3 additional pins. I've whipped together a quick image showing the location of the pins. This will make it possible for someone to manufacturer a cable which simply will plug into the back of the kinect. I only realized it was removable when i pulled really hard and it moved. It's really attached firmly. The diagram below is the beginnings of figuring out what each wire in the bundle does, it appears the usb3 stuff follows close to the protocol and the wires are the colors you would expect. There are 3 wires which are kinect specific. The brown wire, grey wire and black wire are all outside of the usb3 spec and appear to be kinect specific.

**Warning***

I give no warranty or guarantee on the accuracy of these diagrams, they are based off assumptions and you may damage your kinect or xbox one by using these as reference.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/60#post_23999977

USB3 is very picky about being extended over 9ft without a powered or unpowered active extension cable.

Could the power adapter that they used on the USB connection on the 360's Kinect be any use here?

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT  /t/1498930/xbox-one-kinect-extender/60#post_24000019

Could the power adapter that they used on the USB connection on the 360's Kinect be any use here?

The power supply maybe useful but i'm guessing the kinect2.0 draws more power then the kinect 1. Whether or not the power supplies for extending kinect 1.0 will power it is yet to be seen. I'll be giving it a shot and will hopefully have more information shortly tonight or tomorrow. Powering the kinect should be trivial after we find a way to reliably extend the usb3 data and figure out if the kinect needs any specific information to turn on the kinect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.