Kinect + Front Projector : Any tips on how to set this up? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Xbox Area > Kinect + Front Projector : Any tips on how to set this up?

Xbox Area

kenchi's Avatar kenchi
03:14 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 14
11-10-2013 | Posts: 508
Joined: Mar 2005
I saw a few old threads about this, but nothing current.
Now that Xbox One is coming out soon, has anyone had success in setting up their Kinect with a Front Projector home theater setup?
I am planning on building a new home theater/media room, and still trying to decide between 84" LED vs. Front Projection... this will be used a lot by
kids as well, and Kinect will be a part of the system. (Room approx 14' x 19' ) Any tips on Projection placement so no shadows will be in the way of the Kinect?
THanks
Kadath's Avatar Kadath
04:41 PM Liked: 25
post #2 of 14
11-10-2013 | Posts: 856
Joined: Oct 2005
My solution is simple, no XbOne in the theater. PS4 replaces the PS3 down there (with no camera) and XBox One with Kinect and a second Ps4 when I can afford it with a camera will CE going in my family room. Means that I have to eschew motion gaming in the theater but I'm ok with that.

The alternative is an unsatisfactory environment anyway.
sharp360's Avatar sharp360
05:12 PM Liked: 17
post #3 of 14
11-10-2013 | Posts: 204
Joined: Jan 2008
I'm still debating this. I honestly was just going to get the ps4 only for now. That was until I got to play fora yesterday at the Microsoft store (it was sweet, the controller was awesome). In my theater I might get a couple of 35' hdmi cables for the Xbox and the cable box and just have the Xbox in the front of the room. I can run the cables below the floor. Kinda crappy but there are no alternatives right now.

As far as placement, I can't imagine a font projection set up Being ideal for the kinnect, however it should work good for voice commands. In my theater when you stand up in front of the front row you're definitely blocking the light from the projector and casting shadows.
kenchi's Avatar kenchi
07:32 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 14
11-10-2013 | Posts: 508
Joined: Mar 2005
@sharp360 - just saw your home theater pics... very nice.
I see that you are a gamer as well... how's gaming on the sony projector?
It's still early but I"m torn on whether to get LED vs. projector for mix of movies/tv/gaming/kids. I've preordered the Xbox One, so it's probably going to be included in the setup.
I heard for Kinect, you want to mount the projector as high as possible, but I think my ceiling height is going to be 8'-8'10" or so. I saw some kinect/projector setups on youtube, but wanted to see if any others
have tried (with success) in doing this setup.
Gpmic's Avatar Gpmic
05:13 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 14
11-13-2013 | Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

I'm still debating this. I honestly was just going to get the ps4 only for now. That was until I got to play fora yesterday at the Microsoft store (it was sweet, the controller was awesome). In my theater I might get a couple of 35' hdmi cables for the Xbox and the cable box and just have the Xbox in the front of the room. I can run the cables below the floor. Kinda crappy but there are no alternatives right now.

As far as placement, I can't imagine a font projection set up Being ideal for the kinnect, however it should work good for voice commands. In my theater when you stand up in front of the front row you're definitely blocking the light from the projector and casting shadows.

The two long HDMI cables with the xbox one being in the front near the screen is currently the only solution I can come up with until a kinect extension comes out. Any recommendations on any 20-30ft HDMI cables? Are the cables with Redmere from Monoprice worth it if I need the cables to be flexible and not a half inch thick? Thanks!
Cthanatos's Avatar Cthanatos
08:51 PM Liked: 16
post #6 of 14
03-14-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Mar 2014
You've got to be careful with how long you make your HDMI cables because anything longer than 20-25 you're gonna start losing signal quality. You could have a Cat6 and just convert it.. Monoprice has some good ones for not too much. That way you can use hdmi for only where it's necessary and not lose signal smile.gif
brian6751's Avatar brian6751
08:16 AM Liked: 129
post #7 of 14
03-16-2014 | Posts: 3,443
Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthanatos View Post

You've got to be careful with how long you make your HDMI cables because anything longer than 20-25 you're gonna start losing signal quality. You could have a Cat6 and just convert it.. Monoprice has some good ones for not too much. That way you can use hdmi for only where it's necessary and not lose signal smile.gif

Or get a Hdmi with redmere. I have a 60 footer that works just fine. Monoprice sells them.
Cthanatos's Avatar Cthanatos
12:57 PM Liked: 16
post #8 of 14
03-16-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Mar 2014
I've heard about redmere, but I hadn't looked it up. That is super cool! Don't have a set plan for our build, so I'm not sure on the distances, but I'm thinking 60ft should be enough. I haven't seen anything bad on the redmere cables, but I have read about issues on the cat6 converters. I may just buy 3 of the 60ft cables. One for each console :-)
brian6751's Avatar brian6751
03:19 PM Liked: 129
post #9 of 14
03-16-2014 | Posts: 3,443
Joined: Mar 2006
Why not just have your consoles close to you're avr? Then you only need one long Hdmi going to your projector.
newfmp3's Avatar newfmp3
05:03 AM Liked: 138
post #10 of 14
03-17-2014 | Posts: 4,014
Joined: Jan 2005
I have 35' and 40' runs, no redmere. Just monoprice cables - no issues.


but if I were to do it again, I would try redmere just because they are thinner.
agnathra's Avatar agnathra
10:28 AM Liked: 17
post #11 of 14
03-17-2014 | Posts: 580
Joined: Nov 2004
another fan of monoprice redmere. i think mine's 40'. thin cable, fishes well thru wall, no problems.

remember they're directional when you run them!
Cthanatos's Avatar Cthanatos
10:35 AM Liked: 16
post #12 of 14
03-17-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Why not just have your consoles close to you're avr? Then you only need one long Hdmi going to your projector.

Because Consoles go at the front of the room! :D That's something that I'm wondering about though. Consoles have always been at the front of the room because we always had corded controllers. With the advent of cordless, I'm not sure I feel confident that 360 and PS3 /4 controllers will reach their destination. I know bluetooth goes about 30 ft, but what about PS3?


brian6751's Avatar brian6751
10:53 AM Liked: 129
post #13 of 14
03-17-2014 | Posts: 3,443
Joined: Mar 2006
PS3 is Bluetooth. The controllers go pretty far. How far alway is your avr going to be?

It's not like the controller response slows down the further away you are.
Cthanatos's Avatar Cthanatos
07:39 PM Liked: 16
post #14 of 14
03-18-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Mar 2014
Sorry, I meant 360. Wife's too paranoid about the Xbox 1, so don't have to worry about their range. As far as I'm seeing, the 360 controller would reach up to 60 ft.
Reply Xbox Area

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3