Still worth picking up a XBOX 360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the immediate plans for MS to continue to develop games for this console? I planning to pick up a xbox 360 for a gaming kiosk/arcade I have in my game room and wanted to make sure it was still worth picking up.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 534
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/xbox-360-support-to-last-to-2016-includes-100-new-games

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/future-xbox-360-194519443.html

http://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-xbox-360-games-new/
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

Is the immediate plans for MS to continue to develop games for this console? I planning to pick up a xbox 360 for a gaming kiosk/arcade I have in my game room and wanted to make sure it was still worth picking up.

thanks!

YES. But I would wait if you can...for the inevitable black Friday deals or January closeout deals. Xbox 360 also has a vast library of beautiful and great 720p games that are upscalable to 1080p by the console and/or your HDTV. It has a best of generation online experience. It has Xbox 360 Arcade platform for Indie games. It is a superb Media Extender. And they all will only get much...much cheaper as time elapses. FWIW...and this is only my opinion...you will enjoy it just as much as the new Xbox One or PS4 Console. And maybe even more so because of its lower overall running costs...especially when combined with the way you are planning to use it. Plus the Xbox 360 is a known and reliable piece of equipment. It is optimized to handle any of the current games. While new ones like Destiny and others will launch in the Xbox 360 platform. Just look at the new consoles re: your decision this way and decide. The new ones are really only current generation consoles/technology on graphic/power/application steroids. Xbox One is just an "UBER" Xbox 360. It's hardware integrity is unknown. Ditto for PS4. They will only offer up the exact same gaming experience as the current generation models. But at a somewhat faster, better and bigger levels...Potentially. Will that matter to you? Your call. So Go for it. I am buying another Xbox 360 too. But after the holidays, when I expect them to hit the $99-$150 mark. Or I'll just hold out until they do.
ultracat likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^
|
|
This.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 111
ooh, a black friday deal for a new 360. Any chance of picking one up for $99 you think?

I only want it for 3 or 4 games (Tales of Vesperia, Lost Oddyssey, Magna Carta 2, The Last Remnant...I think that's it...maybe the Witcher and Witcher 2?) so I don't want to pay much more than $100 for one.

If the XB One were fully B/C with 360 (and orig Xbox) I would seriously consider getting one in addition to the PS4 for the inevitable few exclusives it will get that interest me (already there is Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon, but so far that's it) and altogether I think those would make it worth the price of admission. But alas, that is not to be. Maybe MS will come out with a streaming service like GAIKAI, if GAIKAI proves to be a massive hit and too big to ignore...
barrelbelly likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

ooh, a black friday deal for a new 360. Any chance of picking one up for $99 you think?

I only want it for 3 or 4 games (Tales of Vesperia, Lost Oddyssey, Magna Carta 2, The Last Remnant...I think that's it...maybe the Witcher and Witcher 2?) so I don't want to pay much more than $100 for one.

If the XB One were fully B/C with 360 (and orig Xbox) I would seriously consider getting one in addition to the PS4 for the inevitable few exclusives it will get that interest me (already there is Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon, but so far that's it) and altogether I think those would make it worth the price of admission. But alas, that is not to be. Maybe MS will come out with a streaming service like GAIKAI, if GAIKAI proves to be a massive hit and too big to ignore...

I completely agree with you. But let me digress a tad and talk about both XB1 and Xbox 360 relative to the OPs comment. When I finally get around to buying a newer console. It will be Xbox One. Most likely around 2015-2016. Because I love the XBL online ecosystem/experience. By that time I believe XB1 will have full BC (which is very important to me and a lot of people). I don't think for one second MS will leave that big Xbox 360 library dormant to XB1 users only. Especially when there isn't that big a difference in game quality early on between XB1 & XB360. Expect to see at least 80% of it available within 2 years to XB1 users for $1.99-$9.99 per game. That's nothing but a skunkwork project for a small 20-30 man task force in MS' vast army of over 100,000 people.

Long term (2014-2016) I believe XB1 will have interesting synergy with Windows, Xbox 360 and mobile gaming. Especially to meet the looming Valve/SteamOS/Android/Apple/VR threats. IMO the launch year version of XB1 is very limited and will change dramatically over the next 2-3 years. From a cost and operation/function perspective, Xbox 360 and PS3 are just much better values right now. Both PS3 and Xbox 360 are fully optimized to fully exceed the expectations the OP has for his Arcade/Kiosk. He can actually buy both for probably less than the cost of either New system. And have a killer Kiosk. And he will have gigantic game libraries to access that are cheaper and free (for a lot of it). Bottom line...XB1 or PS4 will NOT be a vast improvement over what the OPs is planning to do anyway.

There are a ton of Xbox 360 & PS3 games I didn't buy or play. I have much more interest in them than the new stuff (at launch or 2014). Except for 1 exclusive like Halo. That is horrible value/investment IMO for a system that will surely change a lot in 2-3 years.

My gaming PC is already Next Generation and future ready for the expected big VR shift. We're talking 1080P 60FPS per eye in 3D/VR out of the gate on that technology. They will be updating resolutions to 8K-16K in the same time window consoles are just giving us pure 1080p 60 games. THAT's NEXT GENERATION Gaming PEOPLE! This 2013 stuff is just great console line extensions with potentially prettier graphics. I say God bless the early adopters. They create the early success and opportunity for many of us to get better...later. Along with outrageous deals and values right now!

I plan to do something like the OP is doing with PS3. It was the console I used less last time around. Because I hated the controller. It hurt my hands. But if I can use their PS4 controller with my PS3...I will circle back and buy a ton of the games. And when Sony does its own VR/3D with PS4 like it is planning...and MS makes XB1 a true Next Gen platform that has synergy with its own ecosystem...I'll be in with both. Because both would have decided to stop living in the gaming past IMO.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a 360 library, and I'll need a spare 360 so I'm not left with coasters or a big spot where a library used to be. So it's worth it to me.

I'm leaning heavily into getting a One. Not that I need one before Titanfall is out, but a decent Black Friday/post-Christmas deal including a game or two would help.

It is kinda sad that the lifecycle of a console always leaves it behind a new PC in terms of performance. Or that a PC can have a CPU/GPU transplant while a console is not allowed to have expansions beyond the hard drive because it'd be too much like a PC if that was allowed. At least it's not TOO expensive at $500 if you spread it out over its working life. I just hope THIS time the working life starts out where the 360's ended...
barrelbelly likes this.

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback guys. It helped make my decision that I should go forward with the 360 for the gaming kiosk. I'll post a picture of it too. Id like to get kinect too as the intent is to entertain ppl in this space. Would it be better to pick up a bundle or get the 99 console and kinect seperately?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. It helped make my decision that I should go forward with the 360 for the gaming kiosk. I'll post a picture of it too. Id like to get kinect too as the intent is to entertain ppl in this space. Would it be better to pick up a bundle or get the 99 console and kinect seperately?

Congrats! You...family and friends will enjoy it. If the bundle was no more than $149, I'd go bundle. Especially if the Kiosk is planned to entertain. I don't know if Kinect 2.0 is compatible with Xbox 360 or not. But you may want to research that angle...if available. But I wouldn't pay too much for it either. If you can't find the right bundle price. Just get the X360 for $99. And shop places like EBay...Amazon etc to grab a Kinect 1.0 for about $20.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page