Will Microsoft Fire the Second...But Definitive Shot In Next Generation Consoles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 138 Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
With launch of new consoles underway that will define gaming for a lot of people...something much bigger is happening IMO. By that I mean,,,the "First Shots of Next Generation" gaming have been fired with a BOOM! I won't attempt to describe it here in the Xbox Area. But I will say very rich and insightful conversation is taking place about it in the HTPC Forum. And maybe that is where it needs to happen. Because PC is truly the nursery of all next gen gaming anyway IMO. I'm starting this thread because Microsoft has some critical decisions to make relative to all of its game platforms to meet serious challengers that are emerging. And there is no topic in the XB area to talk about it anymore.

The old Next Gen thread was sort of a catch all for it. But IMO that give and take has been lost in the Xbox One threads. People are just too dug in. And I mean that in a positive way. People should be excited about the new stuff. And shout it out. But Next Generation is an entirely different conversation. IMO Xbox One is decidedly Not a next generation console. I think it was conceived as one. But the conception was lost in a blizzard of poor execution and rushed delivery. That's just my take. Many will disagree. But we have what we have now. XB1 the NOW console for MS. And it is a good product that fits Donald Rumsfeld's definition..."You fight a war with the Military you have".

Valve fired the first shot in Next Generation Gaming with announcement of Linux/SteamOS...its collaboration with Oculus Rift in VR development...Android integration...SteamBox architecture. If rumors and whispers are correct about Half Life 3...that may well be our first authentic Next Generation game. And we know when real Next Gen will happen. It will be in 2014-2015. The PC world moves that fast. Which means XB1 and the new consoles could easily be obsolete by the end of 2014.

Microsoft can easily meet this threat. And actually dominate next generation IMO. Will They? They will have to change a lot more than just a CEO in 2014 to do it. They truly have the assets and patents to open a breathtaking gaming window into the emerging gaming world. XB1 should evolve and become just one piece of it. But it should link seamlessly with Xbox ecosystems past-present-future to meet the challenges from the likes of Valve/Linux/Steam/Oculus Rift-PC others-Mobile-Google-Apple-Samsung-Sony-ISP Hosts and many others.

Microsoft can fire the second shot. And it can be a powerful one. Here is what it would look like to me.
  1. Xbox OS1 for Win8 PC-A proprietary DD enabled SSD that can Dual Boot a PC & link with an XB1 via its Blu-Ray drive to play XB1 games. Or to DD directly to the SSD from XBL
  2. A Streaming DD Only version XB1 to execute their original vision. But capable of streaming games and media content to the XBOS1 SSD
  3. XPhone by Nokia at once. That can tether and link with the Xbox & Windows ecosystem...Dock with a proprietary XBoard/Keyboard/XPad/XB1 Controller via Bluetooth or IR
  4. Kinect 2.0 for PC "Users". And use with XBOS1 games
  5. Tight collaboration with Oculus Rift and integration of VR with Windows PC...XBOS1...XPhone...XPad/Board/Controller/Kinect/XB1
  6. Re-Launch the full Halo Platform in VR, in 2015-2016 for the full Windows/Xbox ecosystem.

That's all I'd like to see from Microsoft Gaming in the next 3 years. That would align them and Xbox with the furture IMO. And prepare them to really fight "Next Generation" battles and wars, well beyond this current weak looking cycle that is launching in 2013. And I mean that from all sides of the console aisle. Please wade in if you are interested in a free flowing conversation reminiscent of the last thread. Perhaps a tad less vitriolic & personal at times (myself included). But biased and opinionated is fair game. Just acknowledge that Xbox One is NextGen enough for you and move the conversation forward to what you want to see it or the next one become. Or tell us why it failed you. And share your "Phoenix" Xbox with us. Personally...XB1 hits a lot of my buttons. But it just misses way too many. So many that I see no need whatsoever to change from the Xbox 360 right now. The vast majority of the misses, to my amazement were in the area of "Next Generation".

Edit 11/15:

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/8625/20131115/oculus-rift-inventor-predicts-mobile-cpu-will-outpower-consoles-by-the-end-of-next-generation.htm
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-One-and-PlayStation-4-Are-Too-Weak-for-Oculus-Rift-Says-Creator-399853.shtml

These articles explain somewhat exactly what I'm talking about. Mobile technology is moving at light speed. And will surpass the current consoles very soon. Microsoft is ready for this change with Nokia. It should be ready with a Mobile XPhone that is more like XB1 in 2014-2015 to participate in the Mobile shift. Especially as it relates to integrating with XB1 and the total Xbox...Win8 ecosystem. When the VR shift happens...They should be ready to rock & roll. But I'm just not sure about MS. Their assets and patents say they could be dominant. Their execution with Windows 8 and Xbox One say MEH. Right now the Google glasses seem more like the platform waiting to marry with the right player. Like maybe Sony (and their serious VR development) or another player like Apple or even Nintendo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What may happen is a five year console cycle to keep up with technology. I don't care what they say, smart phones will never replace console gaming. I play very little games on my phone and a ton on consoles. It isn't close to the same experience.
barrelbelly and loader963 like this.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 138 Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

What may happen is a five year console cycle to keep up with technology. I don't care what they say, smart phones will never replace console gaming. I play very little games on my phone and a ton on consoles. It isn't close to the same experience.

For the PC and console gamers I think you are right. But VR can & will be a whole different thing in the future (2014 & beyond). Think glasses/goggles more like the Googles over time. Connected to an XPhone that can stream your XB1 or XBOS1 content/saves from the cloud when you are on the go. And sub as the controller too. That will be just as satisfying to many until they get back to the Console big screen. Or they can just lock in to the Rift on the more powerful PC and have at it in VR games. The Mobile device can become a mini-docking touch screen controller...portable External Sync/save device and any number of accessories that we haven't thought about yet. Gaming is going to leap forward over the next 2 years. Mobile is already part of the leap. MS has the tech and patents to do pretty much anything it can imagine.

I think you are 100% right on the 5 year cycle. But they would still trail technology and experience by too much. They really need to stop worrying about controlling living rooms. When newer more compelling experiences loom that take people totally out of it. And this is happening now. They need to meet some of these emerging threats head on. And shake hands with a few of them. Not in the distant future. So as you correctly described...They must get faster. And outsource some of the imagination. They have the system. It just seems like they don't know how to connect it all. Partly because they are obsessed worrying about too many irrelevant things they will never fully control. Like single use and Piracy for example.
post #4 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

One reason I think phones are further away is multitasking. I frequently run multiple apps in the background. I flip between internet and apps constantly. I have a note 2 and I am maxing it out. Phones aren't strong enough to handle how people want to use their phones. Maybe in five years but apps get more complicated as phones become more powerful.

Another issue is control. I hate touch gaming and I won't carry around a controller adapter for gaming. It isn't simple enough yet and I can't see how it could get better.

I certainly won't use a visual device outside of my home. I don't need to look like a bigger loser!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

post #5 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

If technology can fit in a tiny phone, better technology fits in a console case
barrelbelly likes this.

post #6 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

If technology can fit in a tiny phone, better technology fits in a console case

I completely...1000%...absolutely agree with that comment. I agree with the "looking like a loser in public" comment too. Even though, the VR Head boxes will all look like Google glasses much sooner than later. But I too vision that tech as "inside" experience. Meaning inside a home...room...car...boat...planes...trains...etc. The way I see it. It's one thing to be called a dork. Another to show up in public wearing something like OR...and prove I am one. BTW...that's why I think MS should make an XPhone. Which is really a mini XB1 with Skype features. Just something to tide a gamer over on a plane or something until they can gat back to their PC or console, while progressing their game and preserving save points. And I would wear an OR/XP combo on a long plane or train trip.
post #7 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
This is why I think this will be the last round of traditional consoles as we know them. Scalable "cloud" driven console gaming with just a need for a dummy terminal and a solid connection to the web is the future I think. Give us a box with enough horsepower to run multi-tasking stuff like Skype, etc., and let the web do the rest. We're gonna have to overcome a lot to get there though but hey who thought these consoles would be where they are today back when they launched? Things change and I'm actually glad mobile is forcing the hands of Sony and MS to give us better and better tech at a faster rate.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #8 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

This is why I think this will be the last round of traditional consoles as we know them. Scalable "cloud" driven console gaming with just a need for a dummy terminal and a solid connection to the web is the future I think. Give us a box with enough horsepower to run multi-tasking stuff like Skype, etc., and let the web do the rest. We're gonna have to overcome a lot to get there though but hey who thought these consoles would be where they are today back when they launched? Things change and I'm actually glad mobile is forcing the hands of Sony and MS to give us better and better tech at a faster rate.

Yep. Future consoles...led by XBOS1 and SteamOS, are just going to by proprietary Operation & internet connective SSDs. Or some other kind of device that mates and docks with a HTPC or the HDTV itself. And they will have a load of peripheral devices to synch with it...like Xphones...PSP...3DS and others. They will reside as dual-triple boot configurations in PCs...which will be the superior platform of choice for serious gamers. And others like Apple will most assuredly join the fray. MS has the assets to lead this parade with Valve. Will they? I dunno.
pcweber111 likes this.
post #9 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
why not just buy Valve?
post #10 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Because they are a privately owned company and not for sale at any price?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #11 of 138 Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Because they are a privately owned company and not for sale at any price?

Well, I don't know about that. It's probably more a logistical issue more than anything. Besides I doubt Gabe would want to even if it made financial sense. What MS needs to be doing is working with Valve instead of pushing them to adopt Linux and make a steam box. It's too late though and to MS they probably see Valve as a necessary evil. At this point I don't really think there's anything MS can or would do to really try to recapture the traditional pc game market. They're making a play with Win8 Metro and the desktop to them is something to slowly be phased out. I don't see a reason why MS couldn't make Metro a viable game alternative to Steam but I doubt we'll see it. Instead they'll focus on the Xbox, probably do some cross platform integration stuff but keep the pc always a step behind being a true gaming platform. After all what purpose does the Xbox serve if you give PC gamers equal access to their exclusives? Like it or not the PC is being slowly gimped by them and Valve has no recourse but to expand into their own devices to survive. More competition isn't a bad thing though if all involved are healthy and motivated.
post #12 of 138 Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 832
Gabe worked for MS then started Valve when he decided he had enough. Now he's gearing up to try take gaming away from them with SteamOS.

Stranger things have happened, but I'm going to go with a no there. He seems to have a vision for where he thinks gaming should go, and I doubt he'd just cash out and forget about years and years for building his company and that vision.
post #13 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I wrote this awhile ago. It is more imperative now than ever. Because the second and definitive shot of Next Generation consoles were just fire by Sony...with Project Morpheus. And If they wind their VR platform tightly with Valve/SteamOS and Oculus Rift to create a solid VR PC integration that supports one open source VR standard...MS and Xbox could be in big trouble. Especially if VR gaming ends up being the engine that really drives consumers next generation imaginations and interests. Right now, PS4 has the preferred platform for gamers who want to explore VR deeply on PC and Console. Oculus Rift has stated that they will have a big presence at E3 with a few very big announcements. Hopefully one of them will be a VR standard for PC in cooperation with Microsoft...Windows...Linux...Android and Xbox. Followed by an exclusive VR console license with Xbox Division. MS better join this fight...or they can get swarmed by it in late 2014-2015. Already the HTPC and PS4 threads are ignited with anticipation about true next generation VR gaming. Project Morpheus shot a bolt of adrenaline into the PS area, equal to how Oculus Rift/Valve ignited interest in the HTPC gaming Area. In comparison, most of the energy in the Xbox area seems to be about TV/cable integration, resolution problems and communication tech. I personally don't have a dog in the console fight yet. I still love my Xbox 360. But I will buy a console that supports VR Gaming. Because IMO that IS "next generation". I truly hope MS does most of the things I suggested in the OP. Because that is the only way I'll buy an Xbox One. And I am an avid lifetime Xbox consumer. And they sure as heck better not let Nintendo scoop them at E3 with an Oculus Rift exclusive for WiiU and Nintendo handheld devices. Or it could be game 'Check'.
post #14 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Liked: 18
Valve definitely fired a "GAWDBOMB" at the big 3 with those steam boxes. Personally I didn't see why the ps4 and xbox 1 weren't made to be upgradeable. As easy as it is to build a pc now, surely some engineer could have found a way to "dummyproof" upgrades with their respective consoles . As for VR..... i doubt it will take over gaming as much as motion controls did last generation. Don't get me wrong I'm crazy for the idea but i doubt it will ever be a bigger fad than 3D. And while I'm a big fan of both techs I also believe I'm in the minority
Jonny5nz likes this.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #15 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
"the second and definitive shot of Next Generation consoles were just fire by Sony...with Project Morpheus"

Looking forward to it as well but...

Not a 'shot' at all regarding the big picture, and it makes no difference what brand is stamped on it (Pioneer could release a Kuro Elite 4K VR headset and it would still be a niche market).

Something like this will sell to a very small segment of gamers (especially at $1K) and have virtually no impact on the current generation of gaming (even though it may very well be extremely fun).

Aside from that, much like 3D, there will be a large segment of people that simply do not care and then another segment that might be interested but suffer motion sickness.

Jason

post #16 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I am on my xbox one 3-4 hours almost every night. I just cannot ever see myself wearing a VR headset during that time. I see it as no more than a novelty.

post #17 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

Valve definitely fired a "GAWDBOMB" at the big 3 with those steam boxes. Personally I didn't see why the ps4 and xbox 1 weren't made to be upgradeable. As easy as it is to build a pc now, surely some engineer could have found a way to "dummyproof" upgrades with their respective consoles . As for VR..... i doubt it will take over gaming as much as motion controls did last generation. Don't get me wrong I'm crazy for the idea but i doubt it will ever be a bigger fad than 3D. And while I'm a big fan of both techs I also believe I'm in the minority

I don't think VR will take over gaming. It will be just one of the categories in gaming...like mobile...Living room...HT and etc. But here is the problem, right now, for Microsoft and Nintendo. VR gaming will control the 'Buzz' in the marketplace for at least 2-3 years when it launches. The backward compatible and forward compatible libraries will be extensive. People will want to try it. Especially young people. And if your platform doesn't support it...well you can be watching tail lights for a very long time. Because VR is going to branch out like spokes on a bicycle. It is going to have many applications for a lot of categories. It's only going to get bigger and more expansive as it moves from the gaming realm into other areas. Those who are making comparisons with gimmicks like 3D (not talking about your comment Jason) are missing the boat entirely. Surgeons will use this technology for diagnostic and less invasive procedures. Engineers of all stripes will use it for a myriad of applications...including deep sea exploration. It will open up an entirely new category of Astronomy and Microscopic exploration when linked to advanced telemetry telescopes, microscopes and etc. All of this will reinforce the 'Buzz' that will be swirling around the new experience in gaming and even watching a movie. A new Halo Launch, or the newest edition of Zelda could be completely drowned out by the Oculus Rift...Sony...Glyphe...Valve...Crytek and other Kabooms going off simultaneously in VR. Let me put it like this. If Valve launches Half Life 3 in 2015...and Bioware launches Mass Effect 4 and ME trilogy redux in 2015. And they are only available in VR format for PC and PS4...and regular format at 720p or more elsewhere...I know where I'll be playing those games. If MS can't keep up with the pace of change in gaming or the hardware business...they need to exit it and focus on software.
post #18 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
"VR gaming will control the 'Buzz' in the marketplace for at least 2-3 years when it launches"

I have nothing but respect for your VR/OR enthusiasm but I think that comment is R E A L L Y reaching. wink.gif

Jason
Jonny5nz and barrelbelly like this.
post #19 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

"the second and definitive shot of Next Generation consoles were just fire by Sony...with Project Morpheus"

Looking forward to it as well but...

Not a 'shot' at all regarding the big picture, and it makes no difference what brand is stamped on it (Pioneer could release a Kuro Elite 4K VR headset and it would still be a niche market).

Something like this will sell to a very small segment of gamers (especially at $1K) and have virtually no impact on the current generation of gaming (even though it may very well be extremely fun).

Aside form that, much like 3D, there will be a large segment of people that simply do not care and then another segment that might be interested but suffer motion sickness.

Jason

Aaaaahhhhhh you are mistaking the execs at Sony of being sane. While there may be talk of Morpheus working with PC, they have a bad past regarding their tech. I'd bet a buffalo nickel their VR set will be the one and only choice for ps4 gamers. I also can't see MS allowing a Sony VR set working with the Xbox, i imagine they hate the fact that some customers play them on Sony Tvs lol. And the rumors for both the sets seem to point to a lower price point than 1k. As for your comments comparing this to 3D.... probably 100% correct but i hope i'm wrong agreeing with you.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #20 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"I have nothing but respect for your VR/OR enthusiasm but I think that comment is R E A L L Y reaching. wink.gif

Jason"

I liked that one...and gave you a thumbs up. smile.gif But beware...I haven't been wrong about anything regarding Oculus Rift or VR yet. The proof will be in the marketplace pudding though. And the tech is insanely impressive now. It will only get better. I still think Microsoft has the best potential to blow this wide open with Windows 8 PC and Xbox integration on VR if they can grab an exclusive with Oculus Rift. Or even join the fray by locking up Glyphe.
post #21 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 235
People can't even be bothered to put on a pair of 3D glasses in their homes, so there's no way a bulky, expensive VR set such as this will ever become mass-market. I'm sure the technology is brilliant and the number of possibilities endless, but the console market has never supported peripherals costing hundreds of dollars.

Personally, I thought the tech demo that MS put together showing the Kinect and projectors turning your entire room into an interactive gaming environment was more interesting, although just as impractical.

Now where's my copy of Lawnmower Man... biggrin.gif
post #22 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

People can't even be bothered to put on a pair of 3D glasses in their homes, so there's no way a bulky, expensive VR set such as this will ever become mass-market. I'm sure the technology is brilliant and the number of possibilities endless, but the console market has never supported peripherals costing hundreds of dollars.

Personally, I thought the tech demo that MS put together showing the Kinect and projectors turning your entire room into an interactive gaming environment was more interesting, although just as impractical.

Those were the comments I got when I mentioned it at work. They were like, "I don't even want to wear the 3D glasses for the TV, the last thing I want to do is put some contraption on my head and face" At least something to that effect was said by multiple people.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #23 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

With all due respect...I disagree completely with the 3D comparison. People will know the difference immediately. Sony sees this correctly as a new display market akin to what they saw in audio with Walkman. They envision their HMD (priced at between $250-$350) replacing a 3rd or 4th HDTV in a home. But in this case it is integrated with their gaming platform and offers the benefits of huge screen, IMAXX level immersion in a micro headset package. I bet the opposite of you on this one. I bet most kids will see this as a cheap way to expand and extend utility of their cellphones from squint vision to big screen for private viewing/video communication and gaming. And parents will cave because the cost is less than another HDTV. While it gives the living room back to the parent. All you need do is read over in the PS4 area to see how fast the tune changed on VR when Sony announced it was in the game. It was like a bolt of electricity went through that section. With practically everyone proclaiming major interest and/or trial/purchase intent.
post #24 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
post #25 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow! That was fast. Now just what is really controlling the Next Generation 'Buzz' right now! Way to go MS. Now take it out of the realm of rumors.
post #26 of 138 Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

With all due respect...I disagree completely with the 3D comparison. People will know the difference immediately. Sony sees this correctly as a new display market akin to what they saw in audio with Walkman. They envision their HMD (priced at between $250-$350) replacing a 3rd or 4th HDTV in a home. But in this case it is integrated with their gaming platform and offers the benefits of huge screen, IMAXX level immersion in a micro headset package. I bet the opposite of you on this one. I bet most kids will see this as a cheap way to expand and extend utility of their cellphones from squint vision to big screen for private viewing/video communication and gaming. And parents will cave because the cost is less than another HDTV. While it gives the living room back to the parent. All you need do is read over in the PS4 area to see how fast the tune changed on VR when Sony announced it was in the game. It was like a bolt of electricity went through that section. With practically everyone proclaiming major interest and/or trial/purchase intent.

The comparison to 3D is only in the sense that people don't want to wear contraptions for extended viewing sessions, not that the experience itself is similar. During football season, I often watch football for 10 hours straight (one of many things my wife "loves" about me) with some buddies of mine. Can you picture us all donning these giant headsets for an all-day session? Does it include virtual beer? smile.gif

I would love to use something like this for an IMAX-level experience (Gravity would have been awesome on this), but I just can't envision a scenario where this replaces a conventional TV in a typical family home. I think we sometimes forget that the average AVS member is a total tech geek. We're the early adopters, the ones who have no problem shelling out thousands of dollars for a cinema-quality home theater, the ones who brave the elements to get our hands on the latest and greatest tech, etc. So of course "affordable" VR tech has us salivating. I simply question the mainstream appeal, but I guess we'll find out soon enough...
post #27 of 138 Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I personally think steam os is going to fail as a hardware platform. $500 to $6000 for a box that is simply not needed. Those companies are going to be weeded out so fast that it is going to look like the product is a failure and may even end up hurting steam (which has figured out pc gaming). This started because they were afraid pc gaming was going to be on the decline and that isn't really happening. I also don't think peripherals sell that well because people do not want to go thru a lot of trouble just for entertainment. 3D is a failure in the home because it doesn't really add all that much to the entertainment value to the movie. And I have a nice 3D setup but there is a pretty big shortage of quality movies. I don't need or want to wear something on my head for several hours of gaming as I consider it a novelty and I have always been a gamer. These are only going to succeed if the general public embraces it and I just don't see it. Just like 3D there will be a wow factor and hardcore gamers may buy (based on price) but within a small amount of time, the software will not be there because of the cost and time to produce it. And they ended up giving 3D away in every set for awhile and it didn't help sell software. And then a lot of people are going to expect VR to be similar to what they see Hollywood depict it as and it will be nothing like that. I say good luck to them and hope it succeeds as it will advance gaming to where it hasn't been. But this is one area I personally will be sitting on the sidelines because I think in the long run it will fail.
post #28 of 138 Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Yeah I am not getting the whole Steam angle. For the past year I kept wondering why people were tryingto hype it up that it was going to change the game. At the end of the day it is a computer and as JohnB mentioned it doesn't have a set price that makes it appealing outside the existing group of gamers that already build or purchase gaming PCs. It isn't going to bring new consumers to want the system because of Steam big picture. It still at the end of the day is just a computer and not a console.

The 5.0 is here
post #29 of 138 Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Yeah I am not getting the whole Steam angle. For the past year I kept wondering why people were tryingto hype it up that it was going to change the game. At the end of the day it is a computer and as JohnB mentioned it doesn't have a set price that makes it appealing outside the existing group of gamers that already build or purchase gaming PCs. It isn't going to bring new consumers to want the system because of Steam big picture. It still at the end of the day is just a computer and not a console.
I agree. How does another computer with yet another proprietary OS help push adoption of Steam? It is going to fail miserably unless they only allow Steam on their new OS. The thing is, if it weren't for Steam we wouldn't even be talking about Valve anymore. They should direct their efforts towards making a new engine that they can license and produce some new games. Their CEOs obsession with trying to unseat Microsoft and Sony is bordering on OCD. If they were public, this whole venture would be in the scrap bin of history.
post #30 of 138 Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

agreed, the people that are actually smart enough (or computer savvy) to appreciate and understand steam box, are the same group that will build their own... not really seeing where all the sales are going to come from.. also i think the whole VR thing is simliar to kinect/wii, looks really cool, some really impressive tech, but doesn't actually get used all that much...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page