post #1 of 19 Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding the Xbox One and controlling it with a Harmony universal remote. I got my Xbox One setup and setup my Harmony One to control it but it doesn't seem to work. I should note that I have disabled Kinect as I find talking to my game console kind of ridiculous and it makes me uncomfortable that Kinect is always on, not just when the Xbox is on like with Kinect on the 360. In any case, I was wondering:

1) Does the console itself have an IR sensor?
2) If not, does Kinect have to be enabled for the IR sensor to pick up a remote command from my Harmony universal remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, the xbox one has a true IR receiver.
The harmony devices have all been updated and already support the xbox one.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
My Kinect isn't even hooked up. I have the older Xbox 360 remote and it's working fine - when adding devices, it was "Game device with DVD player". I'm sure the newer remotes that you can update through the website have the correct name.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to get the xbox to "watch tv" when I turn it on with my harmony? I really need to have this as simple as possible for WAF and hate to make her do extra tasks, like "xbox watch tv."
post #5 of 19 Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bym051d View Post

Is there a way to get the xbox to "watch tv" when I turn it on with my harmony? I really need to have this as simple as possible for WAF and hate to make her do extra tasks, like "xbox watch tv."

If your wife has her own account setup on the box then if all she does is watch tv the Kinect will automatically sign her in, and all she has to do is resume tv.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-24-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bym051d View Post

My suggestion would be to use an HDMI splitter on the output of your cable box and have a "watch TV" Harmony activity that goes directly from cable box to your AVR or TV for her, and you can use the Xbox One activity for all the stuff you do.
Cuda1169 likes this.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

My Kinect isn't even hooked up. I have the older Xbox 360 remote and it's working fine - when adding devices, it was "Game device with DVD player". I'm sure the newer remotes that you can update through the website have the correct name.

Interesting. Although I did get my Harmony to turn on the Xbox One I find it strange that your 360 remote works as I now have my Harmony controlling both my 360 and One independently. The harmony database seems to have different codes for the 360 and One.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Interesting. Although I did get my Harmony to turn on the Xbox One I find it strange that your 360 remote works as I now have my Harmony controlling both my 360 and One independently. The harmony database seems to have different codes for the 360 and One.

I did do an update and add it as a separate device.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So where is the IR receiver used to control it? Is it on the kinect itself now?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

So where is the IR receiver used to control it? Is it on the kinect itself now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

post #11 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So where is it?

According to the roomie remote team IR receiver is on the kinect, so where is it on the xbox one itself then?

Some of us dont use remotes, im going to use IR over IP, im using my ipad mini in a closed cabinet and will need to put the emitter somewhere from my itach.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Here will help my own cause and for anyone else looking.

"Actually there is a sensor on the xbox one itself, its about a inch to the right of the eject button, took me forever to find it but that’s where I attached my sensor and it works great!"
post #13 of 19 Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Here will help my own cause and for anyone else looking.

"Actually there is a sensor on the xbox one itself, its about a inch to the right of the eject button, took me forever to find it but that’s where I attached my sensor and it works great!"

Did you ever find the sensor? I also have the roomie but I gave up looking for the sensor. If so, would you mine taking a picture of your sensor location?

Thanks
post #14 of 19 Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I found that on the roomie forum... The roomie forum team should offer help finding it I would think if you are still having issues.

I wouldnt be surprised if you cant physically see it, have you placed the sensor where the directions above indicate and see if it responds?
post #15 of 19 Old 01-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I found that on the roomie forum... The roomie forum team should offer help finding it I would think if you are still having issues.

I wouldnt be surprised if you cant physically see it, have you placed the sensor where the directions above indicate and see if it responds?

Yes, i tried placing the sensor everywhere on the front panel. You cannot see it with a flash light so I have tried where they recommended.

Can you post a picture?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont own an xbox one yet, I do plan to purchase one when the stores locally get them in stock, have you asked on roomie for them to post a picture? Some people do have this working.

And your sure the codes or the emitter itself might simply not be working? Basically some other reason its not working other then you thinking your unable to find the sensor?
post #17 of 19 Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM

I have asked but my post didn't even show up on the forums. I may end up purchasing a blaster to see if that helps.

I would just like to see a pic if anyone can help.

Thanks
post #18 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

My Xbox One works fine with my Harmony 900 (a harmony one w/ RF). I put the IR blaster right under the eject button and set the XB1 back a bit.

I have two gripes about the XB1 + Harmony:
  1. The non-ability to have the XB1 start up in the TV app. I honestly shouldn't have to buy an HDMI switch to circumvent such an easy software change. I have a feeling that MS will get around to adding it at some point because it definitely fails the wife factor and hell have no wrath...
  2. Because the XB1 does not support the Comcast DVR features I cannot use the remote as simply as I would have liked. If you go into the DVR screens the up/down arrows don't work because those commands are for the XB1. My current solution is to leave the Harmony setup for talking to the Comcast box and then map the XB1 Up,down.left,right, OK buttons to the LCD screen. I've pretty much never use the XB1 Guide screen due to this problem.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 0
I'm also having trouble getting my IR blaster to work, maybe someone has a picture of the IR sensor location?

Edit: after searching around, I found a comment on Amazon that said you have to put it over the eject button with the IR blaster I used. That ended up working for me, though it's kind of a pain because it's hard to press eject now.

Last edited by Zach978; 06-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page