xbox one HDMI pass through issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-25-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys
Hooked up my xfinity x1 cable box to the HDMI in on the xbox one and setup the tv function and noticed a good degradation in high def. Picture quality compared to directly connected to my samsung plasma tv..anyone else notice this? It doesn't look nearly as sharp..almost like there is noise or artifacts happening..what do I do.

Also it wont turn on my tv even know it says it can communicate with it and during setup the mute command worked.

I have samsung 2012 flagship plasma tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpog View Post

Hi guys
Hooked up my xfinity x1 cable box to the HDMI in on the xbox one and setup the tv function and noticed a good degradation in high def. Picture quality compared to directly connected to my samsung plasma tv..anyone else notice this? It doesn't look nearly as sharp..almost like there is noise or artifacts happening..what do I do.

Also it wont turn on my tv even know it says it can communicate with it and during setup the mute command worked.

I have samsung 2012 flagship plasma tv.

There are definitely issues with certain cable boxes. The X1 must be doing something during passthrough, though I have not experienced this with my STB. I use a 2012 60ST50 and have had no issues running with the X1 communicating with my TV so i can't help be of assistance.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 AM

I saw this same issue -- I thought I was seeing things, but when I did the direct comparison it was very clear. I was running an Xfinitiy box (I forget the model) through to a 2012 60 inch GT50. I can't find a lot of info on this, but I read a review on verge that suggested turning on the beta surround sound passthrough in the Xbox one may also lead to picture degradation. I haven't tried turning that off yet.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 13
I am having the exact issue with my FIOS HD box
post #5 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarekkaraban View Post

I am having the exact issue with my FIOS HD box

I have FIOS and I was thinking the same thing as well. I haven't done comparison but there seems to be more grain. That's why I jumped on the AVSForun to confirm. Wonder if there is a fix?
post #6 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM

Microsoft doesnt even think there is a problem. I spoke to their customer service / tech support and they have not heard of such a thing. The picture quality looks like crap. It is definitely doing some kind of video processing / compression.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
I have a dish network VIP 722 hooked up to my x1 and noticed degradation in picture quality. Some channels seem to have more than others. Below is an article from the verge that reviewed it and gives some insight to the addition of a cable box add-on (about half way down the article).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review
post #8 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Want to read/know more about any issues pertaining to the Xbox One and HDMI pass-through degradation, glad to see this thread.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #9 of 33 Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I am having sound issues too. When I turned on the system I was only getting sound out of the left and right speakers. Xbox one with FIOS pass-through to Denon 3808. I had to rerun the HDMI setup for the sound to go back to normal. I'm wondering if its the stock HDMI cable that came with the Xbox. I would thing though digital is digital but there are clearly problems.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-29-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I doubt which cable box has anything to do with it. I have a Tivo XL4 with comcast, I just switched it back to direct connection to the avr instead of through xbone.

Ideally it would just be passing through the hdmi untouched but I guess not. I think the difference is minor, but i paid too much for this 65VT60 to be doing anything that affects the pq. cool.gif

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #11 of 33 Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone here tried using the XB1 cable from the XB1 to their display or AVR? Some say that solves it.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #12 of 33 Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm pleased (and quite surprised) to report that using the XB1's free cable between my XB1 and my AVR appears to have solved by video passthrough problem. I really didn't expect this, given that I was replacing a pretty nice Audioquest HDMI cable with the free one, but it clearly and substantially improved the passthrough video quality.

I now have my Tivo XL4 plugged into my XB1. With my 100" front projection setup, there may be a subtle loss of sharpness by doing the passthrough. But it is, at most, subtle, and at times, I felt like there is no sharpness loss at all, so it was hard to tell if it is my imagination. Previously, when I used my Audioquest HDMI cable between the XB1 and my AVR (actually an Onkyo PR886SC preamp), there was a definite loss in sharpness and a very noticeable loss of brightness. The PQ was unacceptable, and I had given up on running my Tivo through the XB1 until I tried this fix.

High five later to those who first discovered this counter-intuitive solution. First time I've ever see a cable change have such a big impact.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #13 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM

My receiver is old so I only use the optical for surround sound. I use the XBO provide hdmi cable between my stb and the XBO and have a high speed 1.4 hdmi from the XBO to my ST50. This seems to work well and I have no visible signal degradation. If I want to watch 3D, I unhook the XBO from my stb and plug the stb back into my TV. I'm considering a powered hdmi switch to make this process smoother.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I can't even get a picture with my xfinity box frown.gif

Trying to figure out why. I hooked it up properly from what I can see, but will double check this weekend. For now, I just want to play a game...

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #15 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

I can't even get a picture with my xfinity box frown.gif

Trying to figure out why. I hooked it up properly from what I can see, but will double check this weekend. For now, I just want to play a game...

This seemed to help some. Use the Xbox supplied HDMI from the xfinity box to the Xone and then a 1.4 spec rated hdmi to your TV or receiver.
post #16 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! Will try later!!

post #17 of 33 Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Nope frown.gif No luck. Everything works great just no TV signal.

post #18 of 33 Old 12-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Can't say I want it anyway... Just more tech-geek annoyed that it isn't working.

The xb1 is on my main tv and it's just easier to use the damn cable box LOL

post #19 of 33 Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM

I think i fixed the issue with my Fios Tv box. I am using a QIP7100 2 box with my xbox. After I hooked up my TV box to the xbox I noticed a huge degradation in signal quality.

I fixed this by going into the diagnostic menu on the fios box. I hit power, ok, menu in quick secession. I noticed that my menu was all stretched out. I selected 1080i as my tv resolution and checked the picture quality by hitting the menu button. It was a drastic improvement. Not perfect , but since the tv signal passing through the xbox and my onkyo receiver, it looks very acceptable.

Good luck.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 AM

I have solved my degradation problems I had with my dish Vip 722. I have my setup connected to a splitter. 1 hdmi runs from dish 722 to splitter and from the splitter one hdmi runs to my xbox one and from the xbox one to my receiver and from my receiver to my tv. The second connection from the splitter runs straight to my receiver so I can get surround with my dish box and not have to power on the xbox one. I was using a mix of hdmi cables including the one from the xbox one. I replaced all the cables in the chain with the monoprice hdmi cables with RedMere technology. I cannot tell a difference now.
post #21 of 33 Old 12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Its getting real annoying this HDMI problem! The xbox will lose its handshake with the FIOS box quite often and it seems now every time I start up the system to watch TV I only get sound in stereo. If I go to the XboxOne settings and choose surround beta than it will start running the audio as its supposed to be. Hope they are working on a fix!
post #22 of 33 Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Well i give up. I got a flicking picture today. Plus my wife is totally against watching tv on our main tv through the xbox. Maybe after a few updates and a harmony remote purchase it will be more seamless. The voice commands are total garbage. I feel like an idiot yelling xbox xbox xbox.
jwheeler and Leo_Ames like this.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Has the update resolved anyone's issues?
post #24 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM

I read else where that this issue was resolved with higher standard HDMI (4k support 1.4) cables.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch42 View Post

I read else where that this issue was resolved with higher standard HDMI (4k support 1.4) cables.

Well after replacing the HDMI cable that came with my XboxOne with a new high speed from Monoprice it seems to have resolved my issues with video handshake issues between the FIOS box and Xbox. Just an FYI
post #26 of 33 Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

Well after replacing the HDMI cable that came with my XboxOne with a new high speed from Monoprice it seems to have resolved my issues with video handshake issues between the FIOS box and Xbox. Just an FYI

My XBox Ones are the only devices that I used the included HDMI cable. But that was for the most important HDMI port, the output. So far I've had no issues. I typically use Monoprice cables but since they were larger on each end they didn't fit as well into my XBox Ones. I do have some Monoprice Redmere cables which have smaller ends, but I don't use them for short 3 foot runs. And for the HDMI Inputs I used a Redmere cable with one TiVo since it's a good distance away and the other one I used some other HDMI cable with a small connector.

A FiOS cable box doesn't even do anything that needs a high speed HDMI cable does it? I know the TiVos can handle the advanced audio codecs but even that only requires and HDMI 1.3 cable.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #27 of 33 Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 AM

I have a Verizon FIOS Motorola box. The first time I hooked it up to the Xbox One, the moto box reset the resolution to 720p. I noticed the differences on 1080i channels. Adjusted the settings on the moto box back to 1080i and I can no longer find any differences.
post #28 of 33 Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My XBox Ones are the only devices that I used the included HDMI cable. But that was for the most important HDMI port, the output. So far I've had no issues. I typically use Monoprice cables but since they were larger on each end they didn't fit as well into my XBox Ones. I do have some Monoprice Redmere cables which have smaller ends, but I don't use them for short 3 foot runs. And for the HDMI Inputs I used a Redmere cable with one TiVo since it's a good distance away and the other one I used some other HDMI cable with a small connector.

A FiOS cable box doesn't even do anything that needs a high speed HDMI cable does it? I know the TiVos can handle the advanced audio codecs but even that only requires and HDMI 1.3 cable.

With the stock cable my xbox would constantly pop up saying it lost its connection to the FIOS box. Trouble with audio as well. Since the Hi speed cable was hooked up no more issues. Have no idea why it would matter other that maybe bandwidth for the switching the Xbox can do over HDMI to other components like turn them off and on.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

With the stock cable my xbox would constantly pop up saying it lost its connection to the FIOS box. Trouble with audio as well. Since the Hi speed cable was hooked up no more issues. Have no idea why it would matter other that maybe bandwidth for the switching the Xbox can do over HDMI to other components like turn them off and on.

I did notice that the Redmere cables do not work with my XBOne. At least the HDMI input where I tried it. At first I ran it through a switch but tonight I switched things around and removed the switch and put a regular HDMI cable on the HDMI input.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #30 of 33 Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Anyone having trouble when the stb has to switch resolutions? Every time I move from 720 to 1080 the xbox freezes for about 10 seconds. I did not have this problem before One. Also what is every doingh about game mode since tv also flows through the xbox?
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page