XBOX One Blu-Ray HD Audio? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was trying to figure out why my new Denon X2000 wasn't showing DTS when playing a blu-ray on my xbox1. I learned a lot from this thread, and went back to the console and chose "bitstream" from the settings and it corrected the situation. My AVR now shows DTS-HD and DTS-HD Neo:6 as options (I have a 6.1 speaker config) and am using HDMI only.

So has Microsoft addressed the issue since the last post in this thread, or am I misinterpreting something? Is it likely that the xbox is decoding/mixing/re-encoding?

The funny thing is that this change fixed a problem I was hearing in the audio when navigating the menu in the xbox one, where the "bup" sound when moving the focus from one tile to the next was accompanied by a speaker pop about 80% of the time. I thought something was wrong with my speaker, but I tried several. Any ideas of what could have caused this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post

I was trying to figure out why my new Denon X2000 wasn't showing DTS when playing a blu-ray on my xbox1. I learned a lot from this thread, and went back to the console and chose "bitstream" from the settings and it corrected the situation. My AVR now shows DTS-HD and DTS-HD Neo:6 as options (I have a 6.1 speaker config) and am using HDMI only.

So has Microsoft addressed the issue since the last post in this thread, or am I misinterpreting something? Is it likely that the xbox is decoding/mixing/re-encoding?

The funny thing is that this change fixed a problem I was hearing in the audio when navigating the menu in the xbox one, where the "bup" sound when moving the focus from one tile to the next was accompanied by a speaker pop about 80% of the time. I thought something was wrong with my speaker, but I tried several. Any ideas of what could have caused this problem?

What issue? If you select bitstreaming then the XBOne will decode the HD Audio, mix in it's own audio and then output it in either legacy DD or DTS. WHich is lower quality since it's a legacy audio codec. If you select pcm output. The XBOne will decode the HD Audio, mix in it's own audio and output in PCM. Which is higher quality audio. WHich should sound like would come from your receiver if it was decoding one of the advanced audio codecs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #93 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What issue? If you select bitstreaming then the XBOne will decode the HD Audio, mix in it's own audio and then output it in either legacy DD or DTS. WHich is lower quality since it's a legacy audio codec. If you select pcm output. The XBOne will decode the HD Audio, mix in it's own audio and output in PCM. Which is higher quality audio. WHich should sound like would come from your receiver if it was decoding one of the advanced audio codecs.

The issue I was referring to is giving users the choice to output the audio in bitstream format. It sounds like you don't think this provides any advantage. In my case it did resolve an audio problem that I described at the end of my post, for reasons that are admittedly a complete mystery to me.

If the XBOX One re-encodes in a lower quality format, does it still make sense that my Denon is showing the input as DTS-HD in its display?
post #94 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The issue I was referring to is giving users the choice to output the audio in bitstream format. It sounds like you don't think this provides any advantage. In my case it did resolve an audio problem that I described at the end of my post, for reasons that are admittedly a complete mystery to me.

If the XBOX One re-encodes in a lower quality format, does it still make sense that my Denon is showing the input as DTS-HD in its display?

Not sure why it would show DTS-HD. The HD audio formats are DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA. But I just tested a disc with the newest firmware. The movie Frozen. The 7.1 DTS-HD MA track shows up as legacy 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS when bitstreaming to my Denon receiver and Sony Receiver. And when sending PCM it is sending discrete audio properly to all the channels. Unlike the legacy audio that is limited to discrete 5.1.

What does your Denon show when sending DD, DTS, Dolby True HD, DD+, DTS-HD HR, and DTS-HD MA from a BD player to decode.

EDIT: I just looked at the X2000 manual and it says it will show DTS-HD for a for any of the DTS-HD formats. But it also can decode a format called DTS Express. Not sure what the difference is. My Denon is over six years old but my Sony is only 1.5 years old. Maybe someone else can chime in. I only know in both of my setups I only get legacy DD and legacy DTS when bitstreaming. I've never heard of a player re-encoding to a high resolution format. Because once it's decoded it might as well stay in PCM since that is equivalent in quality to the HD audio codecs or it gets encoded to legacy Dd/DTS which is lower quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Not sure why it would show DTS-HD. The HD audio formats are DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA. But I just tested a disc with the newest firmware. The movie Frozen. The 7.1 DTS-HD MA track shows up as legacy 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS when bitstreaming to my Denon receiver and Sony Receiver. And when sending PCM it is sending discrete audio properly to all the channels. Unlike the legacy audio that is limited to discrete 5.1.

What does your Denon show when sending DD, DTS, Dolby True HD, DD+, DTS-HD HR, and DTS-HD MA from a BD player to decode.

Yeah sorry, I went back and checked and I was wrong and you were right.

The XBOX shows just shows "DTS", it was the Sony blu-ray player I was adjusting at the same time that passed DTS-HD MA in bitstream mode.

Unfortunately, the moment I switched the XBOX back to "7.1 uncompressed", the speaker pop problem re-appeared...
post #96 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

So has Microsoft addressed the issue since the last post in this thread, or am I misinterpreting something? Is it likely that the Xbox is decoding/mixing/re-encoding?

Yes. XBO decodes, mixes, and re-encodes if you select Dolby or DTS bitstream. XBO should only be set to bitstream if your system does not support PCM.

Quote:

I've noted the same pop noise with a Denon AVR-4806 when XBO is set to '7.1 uncompressed' or '5.1 uncompressed'. 'Stereo uncompressed' and Dolby/DTS bitstream are clean. I first noticed it during the preview of the April update when they added (then subsequently removed) the audio mix options. Is anyone else hearing this, either with a Denon or some other make/model?

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #97 of 139 Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

But it also can decode a format called DTS Express. Not sure what the difference is.

DTS Express is equivalent to Dolby's Digital + used for broadcasting multichannel audio and it's also available on some sound cards for outputting 5.1 audio in PC games.
post #98 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has there been any resolutions to the issues notes in this thread with the newer system updates? Any word on people tracking these issues with MS?
post #99 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The Xbox One is still not a reliable blu-ray player or streamer.

Until it sends the correct number of channels of audio to an AVR and stops sending blank channels (e.g. a 2.0 source is sent as 2.0 plus 5 blank channels to an AVR - theby prohibiting post processing such as PLIIx) I will be sticking with other solutions.

At this point, the best gaming system for multimedia is still the PS3.

Really, when you look at what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with the One, I wouldn't expect a fix to be forthcoming.
post #100 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
The Xbox One is still not a reliable blu-ray player or streamer.

Until it sends the correct number of channels of audio to an AVR and stops sending blank channels (e.g. a 2.0 source is sent as 2.0 plus 5 blank channels to an AVR - theby prohibiting post processing such as PLIIx) I will be sticking with other solutions.

At this point, the best gaming system for multimedia is still the PS3.

Really, when you look at what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with the One, I wouldn't expect a fix to be forthcoming.
The PS4 is in the same boat. Although it is finally working properly with Netflix, but not with the other apps. At least with the XBOne you can manually select 2.0 or 5.1 output.

But I'm still waiting for MS to correct the surround channel issue. It still erroneously sends audio from the rear surrounds in a 7.1 system when using any of the apps and the HDMi input. At least the PS4 doesn't do this.

post #101 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Liked: 27
So if you have a 7.1 setup, but configure the Xbox for 5.1 PCM, you still get surround audio in the back and not the sides?
post #102 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
So if you have a 7.1 setup, but configure the Xbox for 5.1 PCM, you still get surround audio in the back and not the sides?
That was the case the last time i tested it. I know it is still the case when playing 5.1 content with it set for 7.1 output.

This does not apply to BD playback though. That is output from the proper channels. It is the apps and the HDMI input that has the issue.

post #103 of 139 Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The PS4 is in the same boat. Although it is finally working properly with Netflix, but not with the other apps. At least with the XBOne you can manually select 2.0 or 5.1 output.

But I'm still waiting for MS to correct the surround channel issue. It still erroneously sends audio from the rear surrounds in a 7.1 system when using any of the apps and the HDMi input. At least the PS4 doesn't do this.
That's why in my opinion the only game system suitable for blu-ray and media streaming is the PS3. To be fair, the PS4 has the option to bitstream blu-ray but for me, unless they add support for harmony remotes I'm not about to start using a gaming controller to watch movies.

Having said that, at least with the PS4, Sony really did position it as gaming first and foremost, it was Microsoft that seemed to be suggesting the One was something more than that. So far, the One's other multimedia capabilities are half baked at best.

Don't get me wrong, I would still buy the One all over again. For me Forza 5 and the upcoming Horizon 2 are reason enough to own the One but anyone expecting to successfully replace their blu-ray player/media streamers should think twice.
post #104 of 139 Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just ordered an XB1. IF my AVR can decode DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD what should I set my XB1 to? My speakers are only 5.1

Or should I just keep using my LG BD player?
post #105 of 139 Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
I just ordered an XB1. IF my AVR can decode DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD what should I set my XB1 to?
If your avr receives 5.1 PCM over HDMI then just set your Xbox One to that. It'll handle the decoding. Otherwise your options are reencoded DD or DTS.

Gamer Tag:
post #106 of 139 Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I just ordered an XB1. IF my AVR can decode DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD what should I set my XB1 to? My speakers are only 5.1

The XBOne decodes all audio from BDs, apps and the HDMI input. Then it either sends it out as pcm or re-encodes it to legacy DD or DTS.
post #107 of 139 Old 08-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Ok thanks. I will test it out when it gets here next week.
post #108 of 139 Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pajama sam 

So has Microsoft addressed the issue since the last post in this thread, or am I misinterpreting something? Is it likely that the Xbox is decoding/mixing/re-encoding?

Yes. XBO decodes, mixes, and re-encodes if you select Dolby or DTS bitstream. XBO should only be set to bitstream if your system does not support PCM.

Quote:Originally Posted by pajama sam 

I've noted the same pop noise with a Denon AVR-4806 when XBO is set to '7.1 uncompressed' or '5.1 uncompressed'. 'Stereo uncompressed' and Dolby/DTS bitstream are clean. I first noticed it during the preview of the April update when they added (then subsequently removed) the audio mix options. Is anyone else hearing this, either with a Denon or some other make/model?
I have never experienced any "POP" noise with my Denon 2113CI receiver,and I am using 5.1 uncompressed

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #109 of 139 Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

MS has been adding fixes/updates/additions on a monthly basis, unlike PS4. I don't understand your statement

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #110 of 139 Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Choose "5.1 uncompressed" in the audio settings of the Xbox One and watch blu-rays using your LG player. Have the LG player bit-stream the HD audio so you can see the pretty lights on your AVR.
post #111 of 139 Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Choose "5.1 uncompressed" in the audio settings of the Xbox One and watch blu-rays using your LG player. Have the LG player bit-stream the HD audio so you can see the pretty lights on your AVR.
Okay...not sure if you are sarcastic or actually trying to help....
post #112 of 139 Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

As long as the BD titles is 48Khz then the XBOne will play it back fine. It will decode it to multi-channel PCm. But if it is a 96Khz title or higher then you should use the BD player. Since the XBOne isn't outputting at higher than 48Khz. Only a handful of BD title have 96Khz or 192Khz audio tracks anyway. But the 96Khz ones I tried were only output at 48khz on the XBOne. The PS4 did output at 96Khz pcm when I had my PS4 decode the audio internally. I think the PS4 has a leg up on the XBOne with BD playback because of this.
MilkManX likes this.

post #113 of 139 Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Thank you. I probably dont have any at 96khz but I might.
post #114 of 139 Old 08-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 5 year old (non-3D) Sony Blu-Ray player that I believe is starting to fail. I'm debating getting a new Blu-Ray player or just using my Xbox One for Blu Rays and DVDs. I have a Yamaha receiver that decodes all the HD lossless formats and a decent 5.1 setup, but obviously I want to have the best Blu Ray playback possible. It would be nice to get rid of one redundant device if I can use just the Xbox One. Unfortunately there were a lot of Xbox One problems when it came out so I've been using the stand-alone Sony Blu Ray player. There have been several updates now including 3-D support to the Xbox One.

I've tried a few DVD's and Blu-Rays on the Xbox, and as far as I can tell it decodes all the various codecs and outputs to 5.1 PCM with no issue. I don't have any Blu-Rays with higher than 48 Khz so that isn't really a concern for me. Blu Ray picture quality was great on either device, and I couldn't really notice any huge difference in DVD upscaling to 1080P (though maybe thought the Sony Blu Ray player was a touch better at upscaling).

So the downsides to Xbox One Blu Ray Playback are the following as I understand:

- No audio codec tracks greater than 48 Khz are supported (96 Khz / 192 Khz)
- Bitstream audio can't be output to let my receiver do the work (everything output as PCM)
- There are still issues with 7.1 Audio being sent out when a 5.1 soundtrack is played.

Is there any other major video or audio disadvantage to using the Xbox One to watch Blu Rays and DVDs?

Does the Xbox One support xvYCC, deep colour and x.v.Colour (not really knowing what these are)?
post #115 of 139 Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 AM

So I spent the evening trying several DVDs and Blu Rays in both my Sony Blu Ray Player and the Xbox One. I felt the picture quality for both DVD and Blu Ray was virtually exactly the same. Any difference in quality was probably just my imagination. I could not get an xvYCC signal out of the Xbox One (using Sony's Ghostbusters Mastered in 4K Blu Ray), but it works on my Sony player (my Blu Ray player, receiver and TV all support xvYCC).

The audio was another story. The Xbox One sounded inferior with its PCM output to my receiver. It sounded as if some level of compression is still at play. There was an obvious lack of separation between each channel. The soundtracks were much livelier on the dedicated Blu Ray player. I believed there was a noticeable decrease in the overall sound quality watching Blu Rays on the Xbox.

At this point, until Xbox One offers bitstream out, I'm going to stick with a stand alone Blu Ray Player.
post #116 of 139 Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi6_ View Post
So I spent the evening trying several DVDs and Blu Rays in both my Sony Blu Ray Player and the Xbox One. I felt the picture quality for both DVD and Blu Ray was virtually exactly the same. Any difference in quality was probably just my imagination. I could not get an xvYCC signal out of the Xbox One (using Sony's Ghostbusters Mastered in 4K Blu Ray), but it works on my Sony player (my Blu Ray player, receiver and TV all support xvYCC).

The audio was another story. The Xbox One sounded inferior with its PCM output to my receiver. It sounded as if some level of compression is still at play. There was an obvious lack of separation between each channel. The soundtracks were much livelier on the dedicated Blu Ray player. I believed there was a noticeable decrease in the overall sound quality watching Blu Rays on the Xbox.

At this point, until Xbox One offers bitstream out, I'm going to stick with a stand alone Blu Ray Player.
I don't notice that with pcm output. To me it sounds identical. At least with a 48khz track. The XBOne won't output in 96 kHz. But with 48khz tracks it sounded just like the ps4 with pcm output or any other player. Although the XBOne also does not apply dialnorm to the signal. So the pcm output is typically louder than bitstreaming.
post #117 of 139 Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't notice that with pcm output. To me it sounds identical. At least with a 48khz track. The XBOne won't output in 96 kHz. But with 48khz tracks it sounded just like the ps4 with pcm output or any other player. Although the XBOne also does not apply dialnorm to the signal. So the pcm output is typically louder than bitstreaming.
I only own 48 Khz Blu Rays but I felt that I could notice a sound difference. The 7.1 bitstream coming from my Blu Ray player and decoded by my receiver sounded better than either the 5.1 or 7.1 PCM coming from the Xbox One. I also found that the PCM output from Xbox One was a maybe a touch lower volume output.
post #118 of 139 Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I only own 48 Khz Blu Rays but I felt that I could notice a sound difference. The 7.1 bitstream coming from my Blu Ray player and decoded by my receiver sounded better than either the 5.1 or 7.1 PCM coming from the Xbox One. I also found that the PCM output from Xbox One was a maybe a touch lower volume output.
I concur with my hardware. My standalone BD player setup to bitstream is louder than my XB1 setup to PCM running through my Denon E300 AVR. I'm not sure I fully understand what aaronwt means by "Although the XBOne also does not apply dialnorm to the signal. So the pcm output is typically louder than bitstreaming." when I'm experiencing the opposite with my hardware.
post #119 of 139 Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,<br><br>
Is there any documentation as to what the XBOX One does with HD audio including DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and Even Dolby+ ?<br><br>
The only options appear to be selecting uncompressed 7.1 or 5.1. However, what is unknown is if you playback a blu-ray is it using the lossless audio and mixing in secondary sound or is it using the embedded dolby digital track or DTS core? If it is the latter clearly the XBOX One can't be used as a true replacement for a blu-ray player.<br><br>
Also, when you select uncompressed 7.1 it seems to take 5.1 sources and output them as 7.1 - is it simply passing along blank channels?<br><br>
I hope Microsoft realizes that the current setup is not ideal for a device that is intended to replace all others in an AV rack and sees fit to at least add the option to bitstream HD audio in the blu-ray player app.
I may be wrong about this, but IIRC I remember once watching an episode of HD Nation that talked about a similar issue with the older PS3s.

So the deal, as I believe it was explained then, is that the original idea of how Blu Ray players would work is that the player would always decode the DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks and then output it as PCM audio to the receiver. The idea being that there is no loss of fidelity, because it is a lossless format, just smaller when stored on the disc, but the advantage was that additional audio could be mixed in in real time for stuff the sound effects you get when moving the cursor over menu items. I suppose because people are in the habit of sending their compressed formats directly to the receiver because of the limitations in S/PDIF and the satisfaction of seeing the little LED light up on the unit, a lot of player manufacturers included the functionality just to keep people happy. It would probably look bad of receiver manufacturer to no longer provide support for next get compressed formats after it was the norm for years. Doesn't look very impressive for the box to not have any DTS-HD or TrueHD logo on it.
post #120 of 139 Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
A touch lower? Both the bluray app and xbox music app are 10db lower in volume than the tv app in my setup. Is there any way to level the apps volume so that when I am done listening to music and switch back to tv it doesn't blast me?
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page