Xbox One connection issues FIX! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Like many people, I've been having slow connection sppeds on my xbox one. I havee comcast 50/20 internet, but through the xb1 connection test I've only been getting about 5/2 with a lot of packet loss and a strict nat. My fix is 2 steps.

1) place your xb1 in the dmz. For instructions on doing this, see your router manual. This opened up my NAT and improved my speeds a little. My packet loss went from 20+% to 1%.
2) Set up your DNS to use google DNS server. The ip's are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. This brought my speeds up to 45/20 and packet loss to 0.

I hope this helps other people out there. i was unable to play bf4 at all and ghosts didn't run well. Now both are running great.
Arutha_conDoin and rjackson02 like this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Like many people, I've been having slow connection sppeds on my xbox one. I havee comcast 50/20 internet, but through the xb1 connection test I've only been getting about 5/2 with a lot of packet loss and a strict nat. My fix is 2 steps.

1) place your xb1 in the dmz. For instructions on doing this, see your router manual. This opened up my NAT and improved my speeds a little. My packet loss went from 20+% to 1%.
2) Set up your DNS to use google DNS server. The ip's are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. This brought my speeds up to 45/20 and packet loss to 0.

I hope this helps other people out there. i was unable to play bf4 at all and ghosts didn't run well. Now both are running great.

Neither of those should have any effect on throughput. Especially the DNS.

It was also giving me crazy numbers in the connection test, but I was getting much better speeds actually downloading. My guess is that whatever servers they were using to test connections was so overloaded that it wasn't giving accurate results.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Neither of those should have any effect on throughput. Especially the DNS.

It was also giving me crazy numbers in the connection test, but I was getting much better speeds actually downloading. My guess is that whatever servers they were using to test connections was so overloaded that it wasn't giving accurate results.

I totally agree that it shouldn't matter. But I know that I went from a poor connection in the test and a high ping, to great speeds. I also know I went from bf4 being unplayable to smooth as silk, so maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not. I'd say if anyone is having issues though, I'd give it a try.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #4 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Is anyone having the wifi occasionally drop out? I've been trying to download three games and to my surprise, turning it off overnight last night only advanced those downloads about 3% instead of letting them download. Each game says something about download failed instead of its progress.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #5 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:

You can also just open up the ports that Xbox lIve needs instead of a DMZ. I think it's four ports. I set mine up on Friday when it showed up as a moderate NAT for some reason. Once I opened up the four ports, the NAT has always showed up as open.

EDIT: Here are the ports that it says to open on the XBox Live support page
Quote:
Network ports used by Xbox Live
Port forwarding
If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your PC or Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding."

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

Note If you cannot chat with someone using Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).

If you're connected to a network through your workplace or school, ask the network administrator to open the above ports used by Xbox Live.

If you receive a NAT warning when connecting to Xbox Live, please see the Error: Your NAT type is set to strict (or moderate) page.

Also in Forza 5 I could not originally get in multiplayer. I had to enable IPSec in my router so that mutliplayer would work in Forza 5. i had never run across that before.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My NAT on my 360 has always been open without having to do anything on my router. I noticed that the NAT was strict on the Xbox One. I port forward the ports on my router and the NAT is open now. I was thinking the inconsistent connection test was just the servers being hammered or something like that.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:

You can also just open up the ports that Xbox lIve needs instead of a DMZ. I think it's four ports. I set mine up on Friday when it showed up as a moderate NAT for some reason. Once I opened up the four ports, the NAT has always showed up as open.

EDIT: Here are the ports that it says to open on the XBox Live support page
Quote:
Network ports used by Xbox Live
Port forwarding
If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your PC or Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding."

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

Note If you cannot chat with someone using Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).

If you're connected to a network through your workplace or school, ask the network administrator to open the above ports used by Xbox Live.

If you receive a NAT warning when connecting to Xbox Live, please see the Error: Your NAT type is set to strict (or moderate) page.

Also in Forza 5 I could not originally get in multiplayer. I had to enable IPSec in my router so that mutliplayer would work in Forza 5. i had never run across that before.

They've been updated/aded to: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

The detailed net stats have been ridiculously accurate/consistent for me-always 100-125 down/25-35 up, w/ 0% download packet loss, 1-4% for upload loss. However, my latency(pings) are always around 60ms. That concerned me a little...how have your guys' latency been?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, why change your DNS? Is your ISP that bad? I ran namebench several times, https://code.google.com/p/namebench/ and my ISP's DNS was far better 90% of the time.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Also, why change your DNS? Is your ISP that bad? I ran namebench several times, https://code.google.com/p/namebench/ and my ISP's DNS was far better 90% of the time.

Yeah, I've always found the same as well. But DNS has absolutely nothing to do with throughput at all. A faster DNS shaves a few MS off of a one time name to IP address translation. It just can't account for the difference he's seeing.

The forwarded ports are a different story, but the effects of blocked ports shouldn't show up on any pure bandwidth test.

I actually do have a guide for this stuff I've already written, but I was waiting for AVS to create a unified gaming forum to post it in. It seems like that'll never happen, but it still seems crazy to me to post it in just the Xbox or PS forum.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

How to put your Xbox One in the DMZ w/ an Apple router in Mac OS X:

-On your One:
Settings/Network/Advanced Settings: write down the wired or wireless MAC address on the right(depending on what type of connection you have). It must be EXACT and is case sensitive
Turn off your One

-On your Mac: Go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/Airport utility
Click on the the Airport Extreme or Airport Time capsule icon
Click on edit
Click on Network tab
Make sure router mode is set to "DHCP and NAT"
At the bottom of the empty box that sez "DHCP reservations" click the + sign
A drop down menu will open. Type in Xbox One or whatever(doesn't matter what you use, it's just a title)
Below that it sez "Reserve address by-should be on "MAC address"
Below that where it sez "MAC Address, type the MAC address you wrote down from the Xbox One(remember, it's gotta be EXACT)
Below that where it sez IPv4: type in 10.0.1.253(it might have part of it already there, like 10.0.1.2. Just add the 53)
Click Save
It'll bring you back to the previous menu. Click "Network Options" towards the bottom
Put a check in the little box next to "Enable default host at:" The ip address 10.0.1.253 should appear. If not, type it in.
Click Save
It'll bring you back to the previous screen. Click Update.
It'll take 2-3 minutes for your router to update. if you have older Apple routers, they'll flash amber til it's done, then solid green.
When your router's done updating, make sure your computer(or smartphone) can connect to the internet on your network like usual

-On your One: Turn it back on
Go to Settings/Network/Advanced Settings
Towards the top right it SHOULD say: IP address:10.0.1.253
If it does, your good to go
If it doesn't, you either had a type-o or it's gonna take some time for the One to update on screen

Hope this helps some poor soul!

post #11 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 195
What is strange on my end is that Xbox One shows my NAT Open, but COD Ghosts shows my NAT at Moderate...

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

What is strange on my end is that Xbox One shows my NAT Open, but COD Ghosts shows my NAT at Moderate...

On the 360, my NAT always fluctuates between open/moderate(even though I have the router configured like my previous post). On the One, it's ALWAYS been open. Go figure...

post #13 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On the 360, my NAT always fluctuates between open/moderate(even though I have the router configured like my previous post). On the One, it's ALWAYS been open. Go figure...

If you have both a 360/one or a ps3/ps4, you can have NAT status fluctuate because both consoles are trying to open the same ports.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:

They've been updated/aded to: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

The detailed net stats have been ridiculously accurate/consistent for me-always 100-125 down/25-35 up, w/ 0% download packet loss, 1-4% for upload loss. However, my latency(pings) are always around 60ms. That concerned me a little...how have your guys' latency been?

Wth? I just looked it up the other day. I guess I should add the other ports. Thanks for the new info.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #15 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Quote:

If you have both a 360/one or a ps3/ps4, you can have NAT status fluctuate because both consoles are trying to open the same ports.

Interesting, although my 360 always did the fluctuation b4 I hooked up the one. I just figured it was a UPnP/PMP conflict or something.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page